U of T Pharmacy 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crocodile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey :)

So as suggested by eyecandy in the 2009 thread, I started a 2010. I'll be applying again this year, hoping that i'll have better luck this year.

To those that are applying, and wrote in or prior to August how were your results so far?

I haven't written mine and don't plan to until January. A one shot thing, but really need to focus on course load to up that GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

This thread is kinda...early isn't it? All the 2009 threads were started in January 2009, this should be in Jan 2010!~

But honestly, im applying to U of T for fall 2010... I don't have any grades yet, and im writing the pcat in january... so ill repost after/near december !

:D

it's just much easier to read than going to the end of the 2009 thread

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

for those of you applying for U of T for 2010 it must suck to still be waiting for info on the admission requirements, but I can tell you why you're still waiting.

For the 2010 cycle U of T is considering using multiple mini interviews as part of the admissions process instead of just the grades + PCAT format they used this year. They just ran an MMI pilot a couple of weeks ago and they're analyzing the data from the pilot before they decide what to do.

So I would imagine that there will be new info posted by the end of October-ish.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Does anybody know when the pre-req's have to be finished for UT? I am considering applying but I will have to take genetics which the other schools do not require.

the Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy at uoft.... when someone graduates from that can they practice right away or do they have to do more schooling/exam??

im planning on applying for the 2011 cycle.

the Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy at uoft.... when someone graduates from that can they practice right away or do they have to do more schooling/exam??

im planning on applying for the 2011 cycle.

I don't mean to be rude, but.... are you serious? If you have to ask this question you probably shouldn't even be thinking about applying. Do some research about the profession before you commit yourself to it!

hahaha i did some research. just making sure that what i researched was 100% correct. way to answer the question. it really helped

I heard from some person that the number of applicants dropped to 1000 this year compared to last year where there were 1600 applicants. Can anyone approve/decline this statement?

I heard from some person that the number of applicants dropped to 1000 this year compared to last year where there were 1600 applicants. Can anyone approve/decline this statement?

whatever the case may be, most probably the number of applicants will increase this year

oh, and i'll ask the same question i asked in the 2009 thread: did all of you guys take organic chem?

oh, and i'll ask the same question i asked in the 2009 thread: did all of you guys take organic chem?

Yeah I took Organic I, II, and III ... so I'm hoping for some crazy exempts if I get in this year :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
whatever the case may be, most probably the number of applicants will increase this year

They have interviews this year.. so you never know. There was a 300-400 applicant number drop last year because they implemented the PCAT. I'm hoping for another drop !

We won't know until after New Year's probably.

I'm planning to apply this year too..

I'm a first year, and realized that university is not as easy as i thought..

Midterms passing by and i'm always in mid-80s. never a 90+..

eeek

haha- someone eh?!- ya I read that somewhere- If i come across that page ill post it here X)

btw they still didn't post anything for applying on leslie dan :confused:

WAHOO!!! I think there will be an even bigger drop. Is said on the admission website that they are looking forward to close to 1000 applicants this year! YAYY!! another DROP!

I think we will all luck out this year!
Good luck everyone!

okay guys,
its official
MMIs are implemented.

I think its just ******ed that they don't have an interview screening process at UofT. I mean what good is it if your the smartest person in the world, but you the worst inter-personal skills. Patient interaction is a key component in health care.

WAHOO!!! I think there will be an even bigger drop. Is said on the admission website that they are looking forward to close to 1000 applicants this year! YAYY!! another DROP!

I think we will all luck out this year!
Good luck everyone!

can u guys pls not get too excited n jinx it lol
anyway wish you guys all the best. n hope we all make it.

I think its just ******ed that they don't have an interview screening process at UofT. I mean what good is it if your the smartest person in the world, but you the worst inter-personal skills. Patient interaction is a key component in health care.

Actually, this year they are implementing interviews for the 2010 admissions to assess nonacademic skills. It will be an MMI style interview (Multi-Mini-Interviews) modeled after McMaster University's Medical School interview system.

I will be applying to UofT Pharmacy for 2010! Looking forward to seeing helpful tips from other members ! :)

Do you think they will drop again for this year? The PCAT cutoffs are most likely going to rise since the gpa cutoff is staying the same.. so do you think the application pool will decrease? .. with the new interviews and all!

I HOPE So!:xf:

Ya guys this the link on last year's admission patterns:
Take a look: It says 1600-1000!?!?!:D- hopefully we'll have better chances this year as well and all get in, hopefully, :xf:

Link:
http://forums.studentawards.com/yaf_postst8206_UofT-Pharmacy-admissions-2009-update.aspx

Do you think they will drop again for this year? The PCAT cutoffs are most likely going to rise since the gpa cutoff is staying the same.. so do you think the application pool will decrease? .. with the new interviews and all!

again, pls calm down
u never know ppl reading this may apply
and also consider the fact that last year York was on strike.. this may also hav been the reason to part of the drop

again, pls calm down
u never know ppl reading this may apply
and also consider the fact that last year York was on strike.. this may also hav been the reason to part of the drop

I agree with you on the part that we shouldn't keep hoping that the numbers would decrease.
However, I highly doubt that there would have been 600 applicants from York! And besides, I thought that all professional/grad schools were supposed to wait until the strike was over and they had to consider applicants from York anyways.

After all, lets just hope that we'll all get in, of course if we deserve it ;)

The main reason why the number of applicants went down last year is because of the implementation of the PCAT, no doubt about it. I would anticipate a smaller drop in the applicant pool with the interviews this year. It will especially deter those who have Pharmacy as a 'backup' to Med/Dent. Anyone here writing the PCAT in January?

The main reason why the number of applicants went down last year is because of the implementation of the PCAT, no doubt about it. I would anticipate a smaller drop in the applicant pool with the interviews this year. It will especially deter those who have Pharmacy as a 'backup' to Med/Dent. Anyone here writing the PCAT in January?

I think I'll be writing the January one. I already did the October one but I think that I need to the Jan one as well.

Is it going to be your first time writing it in January?

Actually, this year they are implementing interviews for the 2010 admissions to assess nonacademic skills. It will be an MMI style interview (Multi-Mini-Interviews) modeled after McMaster University's Medical School interview system.

I will be applying to UofT Pharmacy for 2010! Looking forward to seeing helpful tips from other members ! :)

Well thats good to know, about time they started doing interviews...

anyone here has any experience with the MMI format? It just a little intimidating that we will be the first group at UofT who has to go through this thing!:confused:

I'm curious as to what the current GPA cutoff is? And whether its cumulative or just science GPA?

anyone here has any experience with the MMI format? It just a little intimidating that we will be the first group at UofT who has to go through this thing!:confused:

I participated in the MMI pilot project at U of T. I think they are less nerve-wracking than traditional interviews, and they are better at indicating who has the skills required to be a pharmacist.

you might be the first U of T pharmacy applicants to go through them, but med schools all over have been using them for awhile. I'm sure if you google it there's lots of info out there.

I participated in the MMI pilot project at U of T. I think they are less nerve-wracking than traditional interviews, and they are better at indicating who has the skills required to be a pharmacist.

you might be the first U of T pharmacy applicants to go through them, but med schools all over have been using them for awhile. I'm sure if you google it there's lots of info out there.

I have a question also.

U of T will change their Admission requirements singnificantly next year in the year of 2011. Will it simply to take students into ELPD? (Entry level pharm.D.)

It requires crazy chem pre-requisite, and on top of that, we have PCAT and MMI to consider. WHOA that sounds intense!

Do you guys think that it would certainly decrease the number of applicant pool?

I have a question also.

U of T will change their Admission requirements singnificantly next year in the year of 2011. Will it simply to take students into ELPD? (Entry level pharm.D.)

It requires crazy chem pre-requisite, and on top of that, we have PCAT and MMI to consider. WHOA that sounds intense!

Do you guys think that it would certainly decrease the number of applicant pool?

Entry level PharmD programs are usually 2+4 years, meaning that you have to do 2 years of undergrad before entry. This is so that you don't waste time in pharmacy school learning about organic chem and can actually learn useful, meaningful information about how to be a pharmacist. The prerequisites aren't that crazy, you should be able to complete them in 2 years of undergrad (except that at some universities you may need an extra semester depending on when they offer everything)

The changes may decrease the applicant pool, but keep in mind that this will be the only ELPD program in Ontario, so even though a lot of would-be U of T applicants in the last couple of years applied to Waterloo instead, anyone who wants a PharmD and not a BScPhm will apply to Toronto... I don't think you're going to see a big drop in numbers.

COncerning applicants for the 2010 entry year.. will they be able to do a bridging program of a year or so to get a PharmD? Or will they just end up with a BscPharm only? Can they graduate with the entry level PharmD of 2011? Is it possible to complete courses over the summer to get the PharmD while in pharm. school?

COncerning applicants for the 2010 entry year.. will they be able to do a bridging program of a year or so to get a PharmD? Or will they just end up with a BscPharm only? Can they graduate with the entry level PharmD of 2011? Is it possible to complete courses over the summer to get the PharmD while in pharm. school?

nobody knows the answers to these yet.

Please don't quote me on this, but a few months ago I was talking to the admission person at UofT Leslie Dan and I asked the same thing. Her response was "yes." And I do strongly hope that they would let us do that!

i have a question.. its kinda about my current situation.. im doin really really bad in one of my courses (im getting a C)
im jus really scared that my application will be turned down because its a science course.
it is not a chem course however, it is cell biology
do you guys think i will get rejected because of that course?

Does anyone what some of the minimal requirements are for the PCAT? I don't want to pay 300 dollars and then later finding out that they won't consider me because I got a low mark in one of the sections...I think last year the cut off was around 25 for RC 30 for VA and like 50 for chem????

i have a question.. its kinda about my current situation.. im doin really really bad in one of my courses (im getting a C)
im jus really scared that my application will be turned down because its a science course.
it is not a chem course however, it is cell biology
do you guys think i will get rejected because of that course?

alone, probably not. but if it brings down your average by a lot, then possibly yes.

Does anyone what some of the minimal requirements are for the PCAT? I don't want to pay 300 dollars and then later finding out that they won't consider me because I got a low mark in one of the sections...I think last year the cut off was around 25 for RC 30 for VA and like 50 for chem????

i think there is a document posted somewhere!

I'm curious as to what the current GPA cutoff is? And whether its cumulative or just science GPA?

I'm interested in knowing this as well. I'm an out of province student wanting to apply so if anyone has any info on this, that would be great :D
We use percentages over here more it seems, so I was wondering if anybody knows what the cutoff and competitive percentages are?

I'm pretty sure that they look at your cumulative GPA. But I have heard from people that they'll look into your chemistry courses. To be considered, the cut off is a 70%. Last year, people that were accepted right away had cGPA's 80+ with high PCAT performance.

As to those wondering about the PCAT, the cutoffs may or may not change depending on how strong those writing this year are.

To those that have written the PCAT before JANUARY 2009, and have currently written it, i've heard that some sections are a bit more challenging. Any input?

Cutoffs are posted on the official site. They *say* B- = 70% = 2.7 cGPA is the cutoff but don't count on being accepted or being waitlisted (not very high anyways) with those types of marks. I'd say the "real" cutoff is probably at least 3.0 cGPA or thereabouts. I've heard of some very late acceptances (like early September) that got a bit lower than a 3.0 but don't hold out hope if you are one of those people, because those spots really only free up if there's some really indecisive soul who decides they don't want to pursue the program suddenly drops out at the last minute.

If you're out of province, you need to be at the top of your game in all aspects of your application, because you WILL NOT be held to anything near the same standard as the in province applicants. From what I understand of the 240 people in the class of 1T3 maybe <10 were out of province (probably a generous estimate).

They will look at chemistry courses, it's a big one to them ESPECIALLY to the people that only have 1 year of undergraduate studies under their belts. It'll raise red flags if you manage a low 60 or worse in your general or organic chemistry courses. Other courses, not really a huge deal, unless of course it affects your cGPA by a wide margin.

For the prospective 1T4 applicants, there's an info session in the evening of November 26th at the pharmacy building, you might be interested because you'll hear directly from the faculty and admissions about the process and what they're looking for

Last edited:
44 posts and I still have no idea what U of T is.

Texas? Tennessee? Toledo? Toronto?

University of Toronto in Ontario, Canada. We've also mentioned leslie dan faculty of pharmacy, and that's exclusively for University of Toronto, not Texas, Tennessee, Toledo, etc, etc...

That's 'cause it is totally irrelevant to you (American I assume). Canadian students will know it means University of Toronto. But seriously, you're not very observant. "Toronto" and "Ontario" were mentioned, as well as the names of other Canadian universities (York, McMaster)...but why would you know the names of Canadian cities/provinces or universities....

Given the fact that this thread mentions the implementation of ELPD, it should also be a big clue that it's U of Toronto (since ELPD is not new in the States).

Does anyone know yet what time the info session will be held at? I tried looking it up on the website but couldnt find any information.

Thanks!

Does anyone know yet what time the info session will be held at? I tried looking it up on the website but couldnt find any information.

Thanks!

Ya I'm not sure either. Haha im actually learning now that there is one!

Does anybody know when the pre-req's have to be finished for UT? I am considering applying but I will have to take genetics which the other schools do not require.

You need to complete by April end as they need Final transcript by June 11th 2010