U of T Pharmacy 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sigh. it is a bit unnerving since no one from the waiting list has gotten a phone call yet.
I tried calling two days ago. i got the answer machine, but i was too chicken to leaving a msg.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They aren't gonna address individual applicants anyways, I think it's best just to sit and wait unfortunately. I am nervous as hell too.

Hey guys, congrats on getting accepted,

I just have on question..and i know this question is going to start ****..so i dont mean to post it to be malevolent...

but people with 3.9-4.0 gpas, why are you going into pharmacy?? where marks like that can get you accepted in to medical school?I know this might night be a passion for most, as the thrill of filling pills into a bottle may be quite rewarding

it seems ridiciously high for pharmacy..iam really just curious..

Members don't see this ad :)
Interest? Not everyone wants to be an MD just because they have stellar marks. lol @ "thrill of filling pills". Sarcasm?

And I think the time investment is a big factor. Med you have to do years of residency. With pharmacy obviously you still need experience but for the most part getting the BScPhm and passing the provincial test for pharmacists (whatever it's called, not sure) will get you a job.

Or it could be as a backup too. I've heard from many people who entered pharmacy who still have plans to apply for med school or have already applied. It would suck to just sit out for a year and wait until next May to know you've been rejected from med or something.

Last edited:
Interest? Not everyone wants to be an MD just because they have stellar marks. lol @ "thrill of filling pills". Sarcasm?

And I think the time investment is a big factor. Med you have to do years of residency. With pharmacy obviously you still need experience but for the most part getting the BScPhm and passing the provincial test for pharmacists (whatever it's called, not sure) will get you a job.

Or it could be as a backup too. I've heard from many people who entered pharmacy who still have plans to apply for med school or have already applied. It would suck to just sit out for a year and wait until next May to know you've been rejected from med or something.

Lurker from the UBC thread here

I agree with this, not everyone wants to be a doctor, for many reason and for some people this probably includes the reasons mentioned above. A classmate of mine got into dental school after a year of pharmacy. Along the way I'm sure most Pharmacy classes lose a few students to Med or Dent.

One of the huge reasons for a lot of people though obviously has to do with not wanting to deal with body fluids, and the physical aspect of being an MD etc. No thanks! ;)

nopes. no news.

perhaps all 240 spots are filled? ahhhh i'm so worried!

Just some observational stats i have compiled regarding the wait list movement:

2008 year:
Not sure, but some people were saying 40 people got off the waitlist.
earliest estimated acceptance date was july 14th.

2007 year:
some say no one was admitted from the waitlist, however a few individuals from this forum was admitted. The first was Arnett, on August 24th.

source: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=416334&highlight=pharmacy+waitlist&page=3

2006 year:
30 people were taken off the waitlist according to Hawk747. He stated that he called into the faculty to ask for the status of the waitlist.

source: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=416334&highlight=pharmacy+waitlist&page=3

2005 year:
The same Hawk747 conversation (in 2007) with the faculty admission assistant stated that 'the faculty the year before (2006), did not accept anyone from the list.'

From the current trend, the waitlist movement will likely be less than 40 people. Then again, each year varies.

thoughts?

Just some observational stats i have compiled regarding the wait list movement:

2008 year:
Not sure, but some people were saying 40 people got off the waitlist.
earliest estimated acceptance date was july 14th.

2007 year:
some say no one was admitted from the waitlist, however a few individuals from this forum was admitted. The first was Arnett, on August 24th.

2006 year:
30 people were taken off the waitlist according to Hawk747. He stated that he called into the faculty to ask for the status of the waitlist.

2005 year:
The same Hawk747 conversation (in 2007) with the faculty admission assistant stated that 'the faculty the year before (2006), did not accept anyone from the list.'

From the current trend, the waitlist movement will likely be less than 40 people. Then again, each year varies.

thoughts?

I'm screwed:(

I just have on question..and i know this question is going to start ****..so i dont mean to post it to be malevolent...

but people with 3.9-4.0 gpas, why are you going into pharmacy?? where marks like that can get you accepted in to medical school?I know this might night be a passion for most, as the thrill of filling pills into a bottle may be quite rewarding

If you are one of the applicants/waitlisters, I seriously hope you never make it :thumbup:.

Anyone get in, with only first year of undergrad? or is that pretty much impossible?

Omg guys!!! I just got a phone call from pharmacy and i got in!!!! Omggg this is the happiest day of my life!! Waitlisters do not lose hope!!!

Zomg!! I got in too guys, got a call today! Good luck to the rest of you, i sincerely hope you get in as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get in with only one year of undergrad?! :(

congrats guys, I too got the call! im all proud of you! I hope to see you at phrosh week :)

btw, as it no longer matters ill post up my stats

after 4 years:
cGPA: 3.08
PCAT: 89% (with 77 in chem, 83 in quantitative ability, 98 in bio, and 3/3 on writting)

Those still on the waitlist, DO NOT lose hope. From the amount of people who got in on this forum, it seems as though there was a lot accepted from the waitlist

PS: I would like to compile a list of pharmacy students going into 1t3 so we can meet up and get to know one another. If you dont mind, please PM me your email and ill send out a mass email!

congrats guys, I too got the call! im all proud of you! I hope to see you at phrosh week :)

btw, as it no longer matters ill post up my stats

after 4 years:
cGPA: 3.08
PCAT: 89% (with 77 in chem, 83 in quantitative ability, 98 in bio, and 3/3 on writting)

Those still on the waitlist, DO NOT lose hope. From the amount of people who got in on this forum, it seems as though there was a lot accepted from the waitlist

PS: I would like to compile a list of pharmacy students going into 1t3 so we can meet up and get to know one another. If you dont mind, please PM me your email and ill send out a mass email!

There's a 1t3 Pharmacy group on Facebook.

Anyone get in with only one year of undergrad?! :(

I know a few, myself included. Don't lose hope, try again next year. I know universities in England have pharmacy programs that are easier to get into.

If it was the PCAT that got you down, you should do better after having finished first year :). Just make sure you know all the fundamental elements of science and english. The essay is what got most people.

Good Luck!

For those interested:
I did only one year of undergrad
gpa: i think its 3.7 (83%)
PCAT:
bio: 83
chem:88
reading: 60
quant: 89
verbal: 50
composite 80
Essay 3/3

There's a 1t3 Pharmacy group on Facebook.

Twilightz, i know about the group, and yes, i will join it in time. However, I want to get to know those in this forum in particular! I wasnt a very active person, but I read the updates on this thread each night!

hey guys, just wanted to update you.

I got an email today, and they said a spot opened up and I got accepted!!!! I'm super excited!!!! I am on the upper half of the waiting list if anyone is interested.

So waitlisters, don't lose hope!!!! :):)

I also got taken off the WL. Upper half.

They must've gotten through the list fairly quickly, there's no way I would rank at the top.

Just to give the hopefuls an idea of my stats here:
cGPA: 3.10 (yeah it sucks) after 3 years
Verbal: 81
Bio: 90
Reading: 83
Quant: 94
Chem: 78
Composite: 91
Writing: 3/3

So definitely do not lose hope. Apparently a good PCAT will make up for a bad cGPA.

Last edited:
Hi all,

The waitlist is moving. I also got an acceptance offer today.

…I need some advice thought.

.I am fortunate enough to also get an offer from Ferris State University, which offers a PharmD program in Michigan, in addition to University of Toronto's BScPhm program. As most of you guys know, UofT pharmacy is also expected to become a PharmD program in the next few years. Once the PharmD program is implemented at Toronto, do you think there will be any sort of ‘fast-track' option for already enrolled BScPhm students to also get a PharmD? I really don't want to waste 2 additional years after my bachelors in pharmacy to gat a pharmD.

Any information will be helpful,

Thanks

So many people got an offer today, congrats to you all!! I'm also on upper half of WL but no news for me yet :( my cGPA was pretty low (2.98...) but PCAT was okay (90 composite and 97 chem), this wait is making me so anxious. >_<

Hey guys...congrads...I got in too!

The waitlist is moving fast...i am sure they will make more offers...so still have hope....:)

Hi all,

The waitlist is moving. I also got an acceptance offer today.

…I need some advice thought.

.I am fortunate enough to also get an offer from Ferris State University, which offers a PharmD program in Michigan, in addition to University of Toronto’s BScPhm program. As most of you guys know, UofT pharmacy is also expected to become a PharmD program in the next few years. Once the PharmD program is implemented at Toronto, do you think there will be any sort of ‘fast-track’ option for already enrolled BScPhm students to also get a PharmD? I really don’t want to waste 2 additional years after my bachelors in pharmacy to gat a pharmD.

Any information will be helpful,

Thanks

I was talking to the admissions office a few weeks ago and I asked the same question. They said that they WILL give an opportunity to people who are in the BscPhm to upgrade to the PharmD program, if they decide that they're gonna change it to a pharmD program.
But maybe you'll have to spend an extra term to do that, maybe not.

I was talking to the admissions office a few weeks ago and I asked the same question. They said that they WILL give an opportunity to people who are in the BscPhm to upgrade to the PharmD program, if they decide that they're gonna change it to a pharmD program.
But maybe you'll have to spend an extra term to do that, maybe not.

I wouldn't mind an extra term at all...compared to 2 more years.

I talked to someone at admin today regarding this issue. Their response was basically its too early to say. Though, the person was very 'tip-toe-i' about the whole PharmD program and sounded like its very tentative. So I really don't know what there going to do.

wts the difference betw PharmD and BScPhm program??:confused:

If you want to be a retail pharmacist, then there is no difference except that people can call you "doctor" because you have a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree.
But I've heard that it does make a difference when if comes for those pharmacist who want to work in research, hospital, and industry. Just my two cent :)

If I got offered today to trade my spot at UT Pharmacy for a spot at med school, I wouldn't do it. Medicine is not for everyone. It's not all about the money.

Congrats to those who got in off the waitlist! See you in September!

i hope that isnt it for the waitlist... i'm still waiting for an offer too

first off CONGRATZ to those that got off the waitlist yesterday :) but i really hope its not the end for the waitlist as well. im trying to be optimistic but its really hard. im really hoping it will bet to me soon my anxiety levels are reaching an ultimate high atm.

i know there's the WAMC thread, but this is more entailing U of T requirements. for those that were off the waitlist..do you think i have a chance with these scores? (btw on the upper half)

cGPA: 3.3 (1 year undergrad)
Biology: 85
Chemistry: 81
Quantitative Ability: 92
Reading Comprehension: 52
Verbal Ability: 50
COL: 3
PS: 3
Composite: 79

...i saw that other ppl mentioned their chem marks as well..i have A- in both

Thanks for your input :)

Crocodile, I havent tried this but seeing as UT seems to be using the PCAT and cGPA to calculate admissions, with GPA weighted more heavily, you could try just averaging your PCAT percentage with your GPA (in terms of percentages). You can extrapolate and 'acceptance average' from this method.

For example,
I had a cGPA=3.08 with a 89 PCAT.
my calculated academic average was 75.8ish.
89+75.8=82.4%
then i can just assume my 'acceptance' average is less than 82.4%.

another example would be mug3n's stats:
cGPA=3.10 with 91 PCAT
3.10 cGPA = 76ish

his 'acceptance average' is around 83.5%

Now for you:

cGPA=3.3 PCAT=79
cGPA average = 77%

your 'acceptance average' is about 78% although it might be higher than that! (depending on the weighting!)

This is a very very rough estimation! But if you havent gotten off the waitlist yet, im pretty sure you will get off pretty soon! (your 'acceptance average' is really close to those that have already gotten off the list)

Then again, UT also uses individual sections of the PCAT in their admissions i think.
Those that have cGPA=3.5 must calculate their average manually, since 3.5 can be either a B+ or A-

I hope this makes you feel a bit better :)

first off CONGRATZ to those that got off the waitlist yesterday :) but i really hope its not the end for the waitlist as well. im trying to be optimistic but its really hard. im really hoping it will bet to me soon my anxiety levels are reaching an ultimate high atm.

i know there's the WAMC thread, but this is more entailing U of T requirements. for those that were off the waitlist..do you think i have a chance with these scores? (btw on the upper half)

cGPA: 3.3 (1 year undergrad)
Biology: 85
Chemistry: 81
Quantitative Ability: 92
Reading Comprehension: 52
Verbal Ability: 50
COL: 3
PS: 3
Composite: 79

...i saw that other ppl mentioned their chem marks as well..i have A- in both

Thanks for your input :)

Last edited:
^ thanks a lot mikebob :) its just so nerve wrecking cause i really dont want monday to be all that get taken off the waitlist. but thanks for your input it does make it easier so i have an understanding to where i relatively sit amongst the others. all i can do is wait *cross fingers*

Crocodile, I havent tried this but seeing as UT seems to be using the PCAT and cGPA to calculate admissions, with GPA weighted more heavily, you could try just averaging your PCAT percentage with your GPA (in terms of percentages). You can extrapolate and 'acceptance average' from this method.

For example,
I had a cGPA=3.08 with a 89 PCAT.
my calculated academic average was 75.8ish.
89+75.8=82.4%
then i can just assume my 'acceptance' average is less than 82.4%.

another example would be mug3n's stats:
cGPA=3.10 with 91 PCAT
3.10 cGPA = 76ish

his 'acceptance average' is around 83.5%

Now for you:

cGPA=3.3 PCAT=79
cGPA average = 77%

your 'acceptance average' is about 78% although it might be higher than that! (depending on the weighting!)

This is a very very rough estimation! But if you havent gotten off the waitlist yet, im pretty sure you will get off pretty soon! (your 'acceptance average' is really close to those that have already gotten off the list)

Then again, UT also uses individual sections of the PCAT in their admissions i think.
Those that have cGPA=3.5 must calculate their average manually, since 3.5 can be either a B+ or A-

I hope this makes you feel a bit better :)

I highly doubt that they're giving equal weight to both the PCAT and the cumulative university average.

To Crocodile: As long as you satisfy the admission requirements, you'll have a chance of getting in.

hi since im planning on taking the PCAT in jan, i wanted to seek some advice from those of you who performed well on the PCAT. How long did u guys study for the PCAT? is studying for about a month good enough? Also, im kind of weak in writing. do you guys have any suggestions for my improvemnt?

hi since im planning on taking the PCAT in jan, i wanted to seek some advice from those of you who performed well on the PCAT. How long did u guys study for the PCAT? is studying for about a month good enough? Also, im kind of weak in writing. do you guys have any suggestions for my improvemnt?

Hello Ferrousfumurate, i did OK on the PCAT, scored in the 88th percentile , and i studied for about 1 month for it, and i used kaplan. because i was weak in verbal, i did buy wordfest to study for it, it is an excellent book for reviewing verbal.
for biology section, kaplan was not helpful, because the topics covered was not tested very much on PCAT, i had to use my knowledge from first year to answer the questions..so definitely pay attention in your regular classes!
i think the best way to study for writing is to practice and practice! find topics from review books and give urself 30 minutes to think and write quickly and maybe ask ur teacher/friend to proofread. hope this is helpful.

GOOD LUCK!!:)

Last edited:
I highly doubt that they're giving equal weight to both the PCAT and the cumulative university average.

To Crocodile: As long as you satisfy the admission requirements, you'll have a chance of getting in.

They are not giving equal weight to both the PCAT and the cumulative university average. This was confirmed numerous times (within my post as well). Please read the entire post.

out of curiosity for those that got off the WL does it say when you have to reply by for your offer?

crocodile, they only give you a 24hour period. So you have to reply by "the end of the day" the next day, otherwise they move to the next person.

Hang in there! good luck! :)

They are not giving equal weight to both the PCAT and the cumulative university average. This was confirmed numerous times (within my post as well). Please read the entire post.

My point is: In your calculation, you assumed that the PCAT and GPA have equal weights. So, you're using a false premise to calculate the average, and then rounding up or down based on whether the GPA is higher or lower than the PCAT score. I think there is a fallacy in your logic.

To put it simply, you can't start from a false premise and expect to arrive at a sound conclusion. That's just my philosophical two cents.

crocodile, they only give you a 24hour period. So you have to reply by "the end of the day" the next day, otherwise they move to the next person.

Hang in there! good luck! :)

thanks november123 :) i hope they call more people from the WL and get to me soon

This could be a rumour, but I heard that PCAT is weighted at 20%

This could be a rumour, but I heard that PCAT is weighted at 20%
Don't see how.

I have a low 3.00 cGPA and still got on the upper half of the WL and accepted. Impossible if they weigh my cGPA more. In the past they've put more emphasis on the entrance test (UTPAT) than the marks, I don't think it's much different this year although obviously they use the PCAT now.

And I know in their FAQ they say # of years do not matter and they treat all applicants as equal but I'm starting to think it's BS. I haven't heard a single person who finished 1 year with a low 3 (3.00-3.20 I'd say) cGPA got accepted. In contrast I heard many many cases of people I know with 3+ years undergrad and good PCAT scores got in.

hmmm..i think i agree with mug3n. my cGPA is also 3.00 and i was upper half wait listed and got in as well. My only saving grace was I had a decent PCAT score.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did care about how many years you completed. Perhaps that is why they are implementing more requirements for 2011.

Hey guys, I just discovered this thread today, but I'm a student at uoft pharm, so I thought a couple of things might be helpful to let you all know...
First, I know quite a few people who got off the waitlist last year pretty late in the game (there was even someone who got a call after phrosh). There's no guarantee this will happen this year, but it did happen last year.
Also, for next year I'm pretty sure they're adding an interview component.

Feel free to ask me and Qs if you have any!

Seems like there aren't any reports of movement in the waitlist.

I know last year they accepted people all the way up to the last week of August or something like that but I don't think it's happening this year. The people that got moved off the waitlist only has until the end of the next day to respond to the offer or else they move on to the next person. So they should've gotten through the WL fairly quickly but we haven't really heard anything new from SDNers, though I'm sure SDN isn't representative of all the applicants obviously.

Hello Ferrousfumurate, i did OK on the PCAT, scored in the 88th percentile , and i studied for about 1 month for it, and i used kaplan. because i was weak in verbal, i did buy wordfest to study for it, it is an excellent book for reviewing verbal.
for biology section, kaplan was not helpful, because the topics covered was not tested very much on PCAT, i had to use my knowledge from first year to answer the questions..so definitely pay attention in your regular classes!
i think the best way to study for writing is to practice and practice! find topics from review books and give urself 30 minutes to think and write quickly and maybe ask ur teacher/friend to proofread. hope this is helpful.

GOOD LUCK!!:)

Thanks a ton for the info HelloFarmacy. does wordfest have similar words or something? and is it this book:
Wordfest!: Your Vocabulary for Lifelong Learning
with Audio CD (Paperback)
by Philip Geer Ed.M. (Author) "