U of T Pharmacy 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i did the kaplan practice test.. n the chm section didnt seem to have tough organic questions :S
would you say that the kaplan is a good book for the chem part of the test?

I used the Kaplan book to study for the PCAT, and it was absolutely and utterly NON-REPRESENTATIVE OF THE ORGANIC CHEM ON THE PCAT. I basically got screwed by this on the PCAT (in the end it didn't matter as my composite was very high). Let me reiterate: the Kaplan book will not prepare you for the organic chem material on the PCAT; it was absolutely inadequate (and a big piece of crap).

EDIT: not sure about the practice tests, but the organic chem in the study guide was inadequate.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I used the Kaplan book to study for the PCAT, and it was absolutely and utterly NON-REPRESENTATIVE OF THE ORGANIC CHEM ON THE PCAT. I basically got screwed by this on the PCAT (in the end it didn't matter as my composite was very high). Let me reiterate: the Kaplan book will not prepare you for the organic chem material on the PCAT; it was absolutely inadequate (and a big piece of crap).

EDIT: not sure about the practice tests, but the organic chem in the study guide was inadequate.

I agree, but the 5 practice test book had more information on the organic chem section. The practice tests and the Kaplan book together are a great study guide, plus the Official online tests are great.

I agree, but the 5 practice test book had more information on the organic chem section. The practice tests and the Kaplan book together are a great study guide, plus the Official online tests are great.

I just used the Kaplan book alone. I'd definitely recommend using something to supplement the Kaplan book for the organic chem section.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone on the waitlist get accepted this week? school starts next week :(

nothing yet... I don't know if it will get to bottom half :(

I hate to say this but you're probably in pretty rough shape. You've got two things against you: obviously your cGPA, and you're a non-Ontario student. On UofT's website they say 3.0 cGPA is the cutoff, but most applicants, even the locals ones, get somewhat higher than that, so by no means is meeting the cutoff or being slightly above it is any sort of guarantee. And UofT will look at ALL your university marks so that 2.9 really sticks out. UofT will likely only take a very small handful of these out of town students and of the ones that are taken they probably have high end cGPAs + excellent PCAT. I'd advise to look at other pharmacy schools in Canada as an alternative if you don't make it, but good luck if you're trying.

CEGEP will meet the course requirements if you've done two semesters as the UofT website has suggested, but they do recommend a year of university carrying 5.0 credits (which you likely already have).

nothing yet... I don't know if it will get to bottom half :(
Aww this sucks. You do have courses signed up for the new year in case you don't make it though right?

Last edited:
please does anyone have an idea of preparation coures dor PCAT in toronto? please let me know

I hate to say this but you're probably in pretty rough shape. You've got two things against you: obviously your cGPA, and you're a non-Ontario student. On UofT's website they say 3.0 cGPA is the cutoff, but most applicants, even the locals ones, get somewhat higher than that, so by no means is meeting the cutoff or being slightly above it is any sort of guarantee. And UofT will look at ALL your university marks so that 2.9 really sticks out. UofT will likely only take a very small handful of these out of town students and of the ones that are taken they probably have high end cGPAs + excellent PCAT. I'd advise to look at other pharmacy schools in Canada as an alternative if you don't make it, but good luck if you're trying.

CEGEP will meet the course requirements if you've done two semesters as the UofT website has suggested, but they do recommend a year of university carrying 5.0 credits (which you likely already have).

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
"The minimum published required university average for consideration in the initial applicant pool is 70% (i.e. a ‘B-’ at U of Toronto)."

B-=2.7

Aww this sucks. You do have courses signed up for the new year in case you don't make it though right?

Yeah my mistake. But what I said still stands. I know no one that got accepted with a sub 3.0 cGPA. Especially no one that's a non-Ontario student. A cutoff is just that, a cutoff. You'll still be "considered", sure, but that's by no means competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. Do you think they will take into consideration the IMPROVEMENT of grades on my part?

and I guess I'll need 99th percentile on my PCAT then...
Doubtful. UofT only looks at your grades as a whole, they don't weigh more recent marks differently, or try to look for improvements. It's unfortunate but I think that one bad year will haunt you in your application.

I do think the PCAT does weigh somewhat more than the cGPA so that's one area you can try to make up for.

question,

If i have already taken physics in grade 12, and am going to take physics in university, do i get to pick which i get to choose for the cumulative average towards applying to pharamcy?

i really wish i dont have to take phys again but its part of the program lol

flight guy...

they also use %...not gpa for admission

look into waterloo (iam guessing they also favor a % system)...

write the pcat and apply...

I really hope they start introducing EC activities/ interviews to admission.....

Hey guys!! I just got off the waitlist today!!! So shocked and happy right now!! :D

Hey guys!! I just got off the waitlist today!!! So shocked and happy right now!! :D

Wow! That's great! It must have been a huge shock to get the good news so late! Just goes to show you that you can get in off the waitlist even after school has started :)

i know that you guys must have talked about this a lot of times. im planning to take my PCAT next year...but from people who took the PCAT and got high marks, can you post up study methods you used and which books?

ive read in other forums that theyve used kaplan but only some parts are good. also that dr. collins pcat guide is really good. and wordfest??

im just trying to debate on which one to use. or if i should study from all!! oh and did any of you guys keep your notes from school and study from there including the study guides you bought?

thanks thanks!!! :cool:

Wow! That's great! It must have been a huge shock to get the good news so late! Just goes to show you that you can get in off the waitlist even after school has started :)

Thanks, I couldn't believe it either. Apparently someone dropped on the first day of class and I got in. We have until Sept 15 to pay our fees to register, so I guess this would be the last day? Not sure though. But yeah, the key here is don't lose hope!! :D

congrats to u pal!! can u post ur stats?

Sure, my GPA's pretty crappy though... I think PCAT made up for it.
GPA, after 2 years of undergrad: 2.98
(After summer school it went up to 3.09, but 2009 summer courses were not considered for admission. My first year was really bad :()
PCAT composite: 90
Verbal: 65
Biology: 85
Reading: 69
Quantitative: 92
Chemistry: 97
Problem solving & conventions of language: 3 & 3

hey do you mind telling us how many years of undergrad you have completed?

I've just finished 2nd year of undergrad at UofT.

you're welcome lol...I e-mailed them that exact day to tell them I'm not going there, b/c they kept harassing me

question,

If i have already taken physics in grade 12, and am going to take physics in university, do i get to pick which i get to choose for the cumulative average towards applying to pharamcy?

i really wish i dont have to take phys again but its part of the program lol

They do not consider high school grades with some exceptions

Hey,

Im currently in my second yeaaar undergrad at UTM and Im looking to apply to pharmacy for the upcomind year.. I currently have a 5credit courseload but am thinking of dropping a half course that Im taking this term.. Ive heard from several people that you can be at a disadvantage if you do not have a full 5credit course load and are applying to pharmacy or any other professional school.

In the Frequently Asked Questions on the website, it says that it is not necessary to have 5 credits each year as long as you have one year where you took 5 credits in a session (which I did in my first year). Should I just assume that its okay to have 4.5 this year then and go ahead and drop the coursee?

If anyone has an idea regarding this, pleasee sharee with me. thanks :)

Hey,

Im currently in my second yeaaar undergrad at UTM and Im looking to apply to pharmacy for the upcomind year.. I currently have a 5credit courseload but am thinking of dropping a half course that Im taking this term.. Ive heard from several people that you can be at a disadvantage if you do not have a full 5credit course load and are applying to pharmacy or any other professional school.

In the Frequently Asked Questions on the website, it says that it is not necessary to have 5 credits each year as long as you have one year where you took 5 credits in a session (which I did in my first year). Should I just assume that its okay to have 4.5 this year then and go ahead and drop the coursee?

imo, the best idea would be to call the admission's office. That way, you'll be 100% sure.

Hey for those of you who did well on the PCAT test, did you just study using PCAT prep books, or did you take an in-class course to help you prepare? If you could just post what worked for you and where you could access those resources, that would be great..

Hey,

FWIW, I took 5.0 FCE in 1st year and took only 4 in 2nd and 3rd year undergrad at UTSG and I got accepted. I really think it should be fine as long as you had that one year with the full course load but it never hurts to make sure.

[FWIW, I took 5.0 FCE in 1st year and took only 4 in 2nd and 3rd year undergrad at UTSG and I got accepted. I really think it should be fine as long as you had that one year with the full course load but it never hurts to make sure.[/QUOTE]

what were your chem marks like?

Hi,

Does anyone know when pharmsis opens up for toronto this year? for the 2010 entry application.

On the website it sais mid september.. well it's past that.

does anyone know the likelihood of the 2011 academic requirements being approved for U of T's pharmacy program?

and also, is a cGPA of 3.2-3.3 competitive enough for U of T's program?

does anyone know the likelihood of the 2011 academic requirements being approved for U of T's pharmacy program?

and also, is a cGPA of 3.2-3.3 competitive enough for U of T's program?

If you have a 3.2-3.3 cGPA, if you get about 86+ cumulative (assuming your grade within each section are similar to this) on the PCAT, i think you might be able to get in.

06anny:

I think a 3.2-3.3 is fine for toronto. People with lower gpas have gotten in last year. It all depends on your chem courses and how well you do on the PCAT. So what I think is that they really look at your chem marks (gen chem, organic, phys chem etc)

It's all in the luck of the draw.. just remember that! Good Luck!:xf:

If you have a 3.2-3.3 cGPA, if you get about 86+ cumulative (assuming your grade within each section are similar to this) on the PCAT, i think you might be able to get in.

are you in u of t pharmacy? do you know of any good books to study from for the PCAT? thanks

06anny:

I think a 3.2-3.3 is fine for toronto. People with lower gpas have gotten in last year. It all depends on your chem courses and how well you do on the PCAT. So what I think is that they really look at your chem marks (gen chem, organic, phys chem etc)

It's all in the luck of the draw.. just remember that! Good Luck!:xf:

thanks!..but i heard the class averages for organic chem are super low..so im kind of worried about that..what do you think is a decent mark?

For anyone who has beed admitted into UofT pharmacy or knows someone who has been in the past couple years, are there people that get in with lower gpas like around 3.0?? And when/where do they post the cutoffs for pcat scores?

k guys i just gave in and bought my pcat results...i'm not too sure how this it will result because my verbal is only 35...and should i keep this or write the one in oct?

VA 35 percentile
Biol 90
reading 79
quantitative 93
chemistry 95
composite 89
language/problem 3/3

thanks!..but i heard the class averages for organic chem are super low..so im kind of worried about that..what do you think is a decent mark?

Well I think B and up is good. Strive for A- and up to be for sure. I don't know what to say really. I'm applying myself. I'm just going on trends and what I've heard from current students.

k guys i just gave in and bought my pcat results...i'm not too sure how this it will result because my verbal is only 35...and should i keep this or write the one in oct?

VA 35 percentile
Biol 90
reading 79
quantitative 93
chemistry 95
composite 89
language/problem 3/3

the cutoff for verbal is still 20th percentile! so youre good! your overall pcat score is awesome! congrats!

hey.. thanks! but i was talking to uoft and they said the cutoffs depend on the applicant pool so it can change for next year and i'm pretty close to it as it stands. I really want to get in next year and not waste another year..id hate to see the minimum verbal ability percentile go up and disqualify me, so prob will write the one in oct =/

hey.. thanks! but i was talking to uoft and they said the cutoffs depend on the applicant pool so it can change for next year and i'm pretty close to it as it stands. I really want to get in next year and not waste another year..id hate to see the minimum verbal ability percentile go up and disqualify me, so prob will write the one in oct =/

Do they care if you've taken the PCAT more then once? and are you allowed to take them consecutively. like august then october.. is that what your doing?

Thanks

VA 35 percentile
Biol 90
reading 79
quantitative 93
chemistry 95
composite 89
language/problem 3/3

Those look like great scores. How much did you have to study for it and which year are you in?

Hey for writing the PCAT on Jan.23, 2010.. does UofT accept scores that lateee for the 2010-2011 session ?? Cus I know the application for the program will be duee like a month before then... does anyone knoww?

When does the 2010 admissions cycle begin? Like when can we start applying?
And btw, weren't they suppose to update the website to post the new requirements for next year?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And btw, weren't they suppose to update the website to post the new requirements for next year?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've been pondering the same thing ..... It sucks not knowing.. and just waiting.

Hi everyone applying this year!!

Should we start a new thread.. for toronto pharm 2010?

Hi everyone applying this year!!

Should we start a new thread.. for toronto pharm 2010?

There is already a 2010 UofT pharmacy thread created.
I think all of us who are applying this year should report to that thread from now on... ;)