u of penn 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
People have already got rejection letters and you have got 'it s under review'.... that means you still have a chance....be hopeful and think positive.... :thumbup:

i had not received any correspondence frm upenn after thr "application complete and under review" letter tht i got more thn a month ago. yest i sent ms. puterbaugh a mail asking bout my app status and she replied saying tht it is stil under review.. i dont get it.. people have started getting interview calls/acceptance letters/rejection letters frm Upenn but i havent got anything. wat does this mean? can anyone help me?

Members don't see this ad.

Does upenn calls for interview & send rejections by regular postal mail or email??

Does upenn calls for interview & send rejections by regular postal mail or email??

they send both via regular mail..

i got the completetion status by email but not the status..

want too know whether they tell the final status by email..

Members don't see this ad :)
I got rejection letter from upenn today, i feel sooo bad now. This time i passed my part2( 79) being a reapplicant but in this letter, its mentioned that being a reapplicant, i should have improved my part1(85)( which i can't).Anybody got such letter, i was having hope from upenn:( Also is it true that some universities like nyu, upenn donot accept part1 score older than 3years even though ADA has changed the rules

even i got a rejection today..had improve my nbde from 81 to 87...and yet they quoted in the letter that the re-applicants invited had considerably improved their part 1 scores...:confused:

i had not received any correspondence frm upenn after thr "application complete and under review" letter tht i got more thn a month ago. yest i sent ms. puterbaugh a mail asking bout my app status and she replied saying tht it is stil under review.. i dont get it.. people have started getting interview calls/acceptance letters/rejection letters frm Upenn but i havent got anything. wat does this mean? can anyone help me?

even i was wondering why i din get acceptance or rejection mail yet... so called them.... they told tat my application is under review....

Hey guys..me too waiting for some reply..i called them and they said my application is complete but i didnt get any application complete mail:)

whosoever got interview call pls share ur stats...I didn't get interview call but mine are 91/3.59/99...do i have any chance?

Hey guys..me too waiting for some reply..i called them and they said my application is complete but i didnt get any application complete mail:)

hey everyone, i called upenn and left a msg about knowing the status of my application , they replied back through email saying its still under consideration ,so i m guessing that those who have not received any rejections their applications are still active. Hope that helps!!

hey everyone, i called upenn and left a msg about knowing the status of my application , they replied back through email saying its still under consideration ,so i m guessing that those who have not received any rejections their applications are still active. Hope that helps!!

I also got the same email telling under consideration status in response to my query regarding applcation status...........just having my finger crossed..........

whosoever got interview call pls share ur stats...I didn't get interview call but mine are 91/3.59/99...do i have any chance?
I havent heard from them either...mine are 90/3.53/117
Please keep us posted on whats going on

I am an indian female dentist from CA. Is any female willing to share accomodation for December 7 Upenn interview.

I am an indian female dentist from CA. Is any female willing to share accomodation for December 7 Upenn interview.

Did you receive the interview invitation by regular mail or email and when did you hear from them about the interview.

Did you receive the interview invitation by regular mail or email and when did you hear from them about the interview.
I received the invitation by regular mail in september, but i had to reschedule it later on.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I received the invitation by regular mail in september, but i had to reschedule it later on.

Thanks DENTIST8 for the info.. just waiting waiting and waiting to get that magic call..

All the best for your interview!

Got a rejection from UPenn. My stats are Part 1-90, ToEFL-109, GPA-3.06, 4-5 years teaching and Clinical experience, MPH, Residency in Dental Public Health. I dont know what more do these people want.
In any case I would have declined the interview invitation since by the grace of God I got acceptance from UMN long time back. But I just dont understand what exactly is the Admissions Committee looking for in candidates. It is high time that all the Universities should standardize the admission criteria for students. I am really confused.

Got a rejection from UPenn. My stats are Part 1-90, ToEFL-109, GPA-3.06, 4-5 years teaching and Clinical experience, MPH, Residency in Dental Public Health. I dont know what more do these people want.
In any case I would have declined the interview invitation since by the grace of God I got acceptance from UMN long time back. But I just dont understand what exactly is the Admissions Committee looking for in candidates. It is high time that all the Universities should standardize the admission criteria for students. I am really confused.

I got rejection few weeks ago too. I think the only explanation for this is that we are "OVER-QUALIFIED". I know people who graduated from Penn and back then they had almost worse stats and less experience. It's their loss my friend, not ours.

I got rejection few weeks ago too. I think the only explanation for this is that we are "OVER-QUALIFIED". I know people who graduated from Penn and back then they had almost worse stats and less experience. It's their loss my friend, not ours.

Sometimes school's admission policy about the STUDENT DIVERSITY also plays very important role. If there are many applicants from your country you have to compete with them first. This doesn't sounds fair but it is cruel reality.

Sometimes school's admission policy about the STUDENT DIVERSITY also plays very important role. If there are many applicants from your country you have to compete with them first. This doesn't sounds fair but it is cruel reality.

If diversity is an important factor then in my case it should add up more privileges on my profile. I am from Jordan, i dont think they've got a lot of applicants from there! Anywayz..no regrets for me!

If diversity is an important factor then in my case it should add up more privileges on my profile. I am from Jordan, i dont think they've got a lot of applicants from there! Anywayz..no regrets for me!

Even though UPenn has rolling admissions, I dont think they have admitted the respective number of students from each country this early in the admission cycle. Any school would keep some number of seats till the end for admitting deserving candidates. Rejecting us this early on the basis of diversity does not fit in. No regrets for me as well. I am happy to be accepted at UMN. I just thought of posting my rejection to give other people a perspective about the admission criteria.
Anyways I feel all these schools are doing things arbitrarily with no basis whatsoever. Someday the Review Committee wakes up and decides that today we are only going to send invitations to candidates with work experience, the next day they will decide calling candidates who did not have any work ex, third day it will be something else, so on and so forth. Then all the rejected candidates will get the same pre-typed unthoughtful rejection letter (of course with just the change in candidates name) mentioning their admission criteria. They dont even care to mention only those areas that were the shortcomings of that particular candidate. This is absolutely ridiculous especially for a reputed School that boasts about its Ivy League culture through fancy brochures sent to confirm receipt of applications.

Congratulations drsrn !on getting in UMN! its a big achievement and you r more than qualified !really, i appreciate your sharing this info.so far i have been rejected by CA schools ,BU says they want 87 and UPENN has not decided on my status yet! i dont know what to expect really. if they r not inviting you , it is impossible that they would invite me!with a maeger score of 83

also dec 7 is supposed to be the last day for interview isnt it so?if people have been sent invites for that date then rest of us may REST IN PEACE!!!

Even though UPenn has rolling admissions, I dont think they have admitted the respective number of students from each country this early in the admission cycle. Any school would keep some number of seats till the end for admitting deserving candidates. Rejecting us this early on the basis of diversity does not fit in. No regrets for me as well. I am happy to be accepted at UMN. I just thought of posting my rejection to give other people a perspective about the admission criteria.
Anyways I feel all these schools are doing things arbitrarily with no basis whatsoever. Someday the Review Committee wakes up and decides that today we are only going to send invitations to candidates with work experience, the next day they will decide calling candidates who did not have any work ex, third day it will be something else, so on and so forth. Then all the rejected candidates will get the same pre-typed unthoughtful rejection letter (of course with just the change in candidates name) mentioning their admission criteria. They dont even care to mention only those areas that were the shortcomings of that particular candidate. This is absolutely ridiculous especially for a reputed School that boasts about its Ivy League culture through fancy brochures sent to confirm receipt of applications.

You were lucky enough to receive a confirmation for application receipt and a fancy brochure. The only thing i received that had a "UPenn" heading on it was the rejection letter!

well for them a improvement of nbde score form 81 to 87 is "not a considerable improvement"...reason in my rejection letter

just received my acceptance letter from upenn via ups. I am so excited. thank GOD & thank you SDNers for your support. :banana::banana::banana::banana:

You must be joking. You are "over-qualified" for UPENN? Don't you know that UPENN is an ivy league school? UPENN dental school is one of the best in the US. You may over-qualify for school like Nova Northeasten. But never for UPENN.

just received my acceptance letter from upenn via ups. I am so excited. thank GOD & thank you SDNers for your support. :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Congratulations...!!! Should be like a dream come true for you!!
Iam soo happy for you...Time to celebrate nbdepart1!!

Congratulations nbdepart1..........Can you share your stat?

well for them a improvement of nbde score form 81 to 87 is "not a considerable improvement"...reason in my rejection letter

I am damn sure even if you would have scored more than 90 and they were to reject you, they would send you the same foolish letter. Forget it, all the schools are the same. They just want your money without caring about what you are going through. I had a lot of respect for UPenn. But as of now (after rejecting me, hammoudeh71 and some other deserving people I know of), I think that their selection of candidates is just random - like picking up chits from a pot and hence I seriously doubt their admission procedure.

Congratulations for the same. Good luck for your future endeavors.

You must be joking. You are "over-qualified" for UPENN? Don't you know that UPENN is an ivy league school? UPENN dental school is one of the best in the US. You may over-qualify for school like Nova Northeasten. But never for UPENN.

I think, when he said 'over qualified' he meant that he was over-qualified than most other candidates who were selected for an interview or were accepted in the previous batches despite of having profiles weaker than him.
You claim that UPenn Dental School is one of the best in the US and I agree with you regarding that. That doesnt prove in any way that their Admission Procedure is flawless. And if I am wrong and their admission procedure is the best, I would be excited to see your justification as an ardent UPenn supporter (provided you are interested in doing that) for my rejection. I would be more than happy to furnish any additional details about my application (or deserving people who were not even given an interview like hammoudeh71 and others).
You need to understand that the Program may be excellent in terms of faculty and clinical exposure. No one is debating that. The issue of concern here is how schools are fooling us by randomly deciding on admission criteria and milking out money from us.
I hope you got the intent of hammoudeh71's message.

Thank You all. my stats r not that great. nbde 82/75, toefl 100, gpa 3.17. 6 yrs experiance in home country & 3 yrs in u.s as oral surgery assistant. Plus I had very good recommendations. Above all I think its God's Grace that got me through.

Thank You all. my stats r not that great. nbde 82/75, toefl 100, gpa 3.17. 6 yrs experiance in home country & 3 yrs in u.s as oral surgery assistant. Plus I had very good recommendations. Above all I think its God's Grace that got me through.

Great. I am happy that at least all your hardwork over the years was recognized by UPenn. Congrats once again.

Thank you Drsrn for your input. Happyk9, anyone who reads my post should realize by default that i am not comparing myself to UPenn's education and i am very aware of their reputation (i didnt fly from Mars to Earth for the interviews). But for candidates like drsrn and myself, i believe we deserve more than just a rejection letter that almost says "We hope in the next few years you will prove how shortsighted the admissions committee for not inviting you"!. My point was about a very ambiguous criteria that the school is dedicating to select its candidates.

And by the way, i applied to 9 schools, received invitations from 8 schools, and declined half of them. So trust me... i know what i am qualified for.

I think, when he said 'over qualified' he meant that he was over-qualified than most other candidates who were selected for an interview or were accepted in the previous batches despite of having profiles weaker than him.
You claim that UPenn Dental School is one of the best in the US and I agree with you regarding that. That doesnt prove in any way that their Admission Procedure is flawless. And if I am wrong and their admission procedure is the best, I would be excited to see your justification as an ardent UPenn supporter (provided you are interested in doing that) for my rejection. I would be more than happy to furnish any additional details about my application (or deserving people who were not even given an interview like hammoudeh71 and others).
You need to understand that the Program may be excellent in terms of faculty and clinical exposure. No one is debating that. The issue of concern here is how schools are fooling us by randomly deciding on admission criteria and milking out money from us.
I hope you got the intent of hammoudeh71's message.

First of all, I haven't received any notice from UPENN after I submitted my application several months ago. So I am not in the position to judge who is qualified and who is not. Recently I had several interview experiences and met a lot of candidates. I have a decent part I score (>90), decent GPA (>3.7). There were many candidates who have higher part I score and GPA than mine. The schools are look for students who have over-alll qualities to be a dentist. There are many humble people who don't want to showoff their status. So don't assume that you are the best applicant. For applicants, nobody can judge whether others are "over-qualified' or "under-qualified".

Second, your comments about the selection process of UPENN are also judgmental. We all don't know how does UPENN screen candidates. I understand your frustration. But it is immature to blame UPENN's selection standard and process.

Last, we become stronger after dealing with rejections. There is no smooth path for everyone's life. Sooner or later we all gonna meet bumps in our life. Accept the reality but don't give up. Move on and focus on what you have right now. You will be successful in future.

First of all, I haven't received any notice from UPENN after I submitted my application several months ago. So I am not in the position to judge who is qualified and who is not. Recently I had several interview experiences and met a lot of candidates. I have a decent part I score (>90), decent GPA (>3.7). There were many candidates who have higher part I score and GPA than mine. The schools are look for students who have over-alll qualities to be a dentist. There are many humble people who don't want to showoff their status. So don't assume that you are the best applicant. For applicants, nobody can judge whether others are "over-qualified' or "under-qualified".

Second, your comments about the selection process of UPENN are also judgmental. We all don't know how does UPENN screen candidates. I understand your frustration. But it is immature to blame UPENN's selection standard and process.

Last, we become stronger after dealing with rejections. There is no smooth path for everyone's life. Sooner or later we all gonna meet bumps in our life. Accept the reality but don't give up. Move on and focus on what you have right now. You will be successful in future.

I never intended to show off, never said i am the best applicant (I met many applicants who have a profile better than mine), and if u notice, i didnt even mention my stats. But you giving me other names for schools that i might over qualify for, now this my friend, is judgmental.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread and start reading other ppl's post, u will realize that this is the only thread that have some weird action going on! I met other applicants in person who had perfect stats (one of them had a PhD) that got a rejection before invitation. Besides, i had a friend who GRADUATED from Upenn, and his only comment was "i dunno what the hell has happened to UPenn!". So again, this is not just an impression coming out of a mere personal trauma.

Last, i am not the least frustrated about their letter. I am glad (Thank God) i have the luxury of choosing the school that i want. To me, UPenn is located in a very high crime area, not to mention the huge deposit they ask for. Honestly, i am a poor guy and simply UPenn was never a priority for me. Anyways, good luck to u and to all of us in pursuing what we're here for. Someday all of us will get back in memory to those days, by then, it will do nothin more than drawing smiles on our faces.

I never intended to show off, never said i am the best applicant (I met many applicants who have a profile better than mine), and if u notice, i didnt even mention my stats. But you giving me other names for schools that i might over qualify for, now this my friend, is judgmental.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread and start reading other ppl's post, u will realize that this is the only thread that have some weird action going on! I met other applicants in person who had perfect stats (one of them had a PhD) that got a rejection before invitation. Besides, i had a friend who GRADUATED from Upenn, and his only comment was "i dunno what the hell has happened to UPenn!". So again, this is not just an impression coming out of a mere personal trauma.

Last, i am not the least frustrated about their letter. I am glad (Thank God) i have the luxury of choosing the school that i want. To me, UPenn is located in a very high crime area, not to mention the huge deposit they ask for. Honestly, i am a poor guy and simply UPenn was never a priority for me. Anyways, good luck to u and to all of us in pursuing what we're here for. Someday all of us will get back in memory to those days, by then, it will do nothin more than drawing smiles on our faces.

I don't want to play word games. Yes, you may not be the best applicant. But you self-claimed that you are "overqualified" for UPENN. According to your logic here I assumed that you may "overqualified' for other small schools like NOVA. I have visited NOVA several years when I was in Fort Lauderdale, FL. It is a nice school. But it is a like a Hyundai accent to a Mercedes E-calss if we compare NOVA to UPENN. Well, it is my perception. The bottom is line is whether you are "over-qualified" for UPENN.

Congratulations nbdepart1. I am pretty sure you earned it, as hard work along with patience always pays off. Plz accept my apologies for the previous arguements. Good luck to all the people who are waiting...patience, patience, and patience!

Firstly, humbleness is not the point of our discussion. Making Individual remarks would lead us to an entire different purpose which is totally unacceptable. This forum is for people to discuss their experiences so that others get the benefit of our shortcomings. It is alright to debate on issues like this one but it is best to keep it professional in nature. We are here to share our thoughts and knowledge for mutual benefit and not to fight over things.
Secondly, there is no doubt that we are going to succeed in the future no matter how many rejections we get. We all are focused on our goals and more than happy with whatever we have. I am not frustrated because of the rejection. The thing that bothers me is the admission criteria. We need to rise above individual gains and see the bird's eye view here. It is not me or you who are suffering due to this. It is the entire clan of deserving dentists that have to go through all this after working hard to get past innumerable hurdles.
Thirdly, my comments about the selection process are ought to be judgmental since there is no evidence base whatsoever employed for admissions in any US Dental Program. If the schools can be judgmental in their admission procedure and admit candidates randomly, our right to be judgmental is very well justified. I would not question the admission process a bit if it was totally transparent. My point here is neither you nor me nor any student accepted to any US International Dentist Program predict what qualities can get you in a particular Program. All is left to the interpretation and decision of the Admission Committee which not mandated in anyway to answer anyone.
Finally, I urge you to take this debate in a healthy manner and come up with valid points that neither of us can refute. It is only through the medium of such discussions that people are going to become aware about what is going on (by people I mean students and responsible members of the faculty who follow threads as this and work positively to resolve such issues in the future).

Note: I think we should chuck this topic at this juncture since it is deviating from the purpose of this thread or if you are really interested in discussing this further we can start a new thread.

I don't want to play word games. Yes, you may not be the best applicant. But you self-claimed that you are "overqualified" for UPENN. According to your logic here I assumed that you may "overqualified' for other small schools like NOVA. I have visited NOVA several years when I was in Fort Lauderdale, FL. It is a nice school. But it is a like a Hyundai accent to a Mercedes E-calss if we compare NOVA to UPENN. Well, it is my perception. The bottom is line is whether you are "over-qualified" for UPENN.

Ok dude whatever you want. I am happy with my Hyundai Accent and good luck winning the E-Class. By the way, its called Nova SOUTHEASTERN not NORTHEASTERN.

Ok dude whatever you want. I am happy with my Hyundai Accent and good luck winning the E-Class. By the way, its called Nova SOUTHEASTERN not NORTHEASTERN.

Guys, just take it easy. This is not the thing that we want to do. :):):)

Congratulations drsrn !on getting in UMN! its a big achievement and you r more than qualified !really, i appreciate your sharing this info.so far i have been rejected by CA schools ,BU says they want 87 and UPENN has not decided on my status yet! i dont know what to expect really. if they r not inviting you , it is impossible that they would invite me!with a maeger score of 83

Dont lose hope. Have faith and keep dont give up on this thing. Try to improve on other stats like work experience, CE credits, etc. I am sure you will definitely get a position.

Got acceptance from UPENN, despite what everybody says the candidate needs to be stable from all aspects. Dental boards, able to get the finances, have work experience in US in dental field and letters of recommendation from US trained doctors that they worked with. Let be honest we are trained outside US for almost no school tuition, and now we want to make our rules how to get in, and prove "them" how good we are, remember; nobody asked us to come to US, we wanted that, so they are the ones that have to make the rules. Just turn the table around, if you would be a student that goes to DAT, 4 years of predental, 4 years of dental school probably more than half a million in debt, what would you say? US accepts about 500 foreign trained students, that is 500 American students rejected. So I got rejection letters from schools that I thought I should get in, and got in a school that never dreamed about that’s all. This is my 3rd year trying, don’t loose hope, keep trying and get US experience, it will pay off. Thanks God for taking care of us.

Firstly, humbleness is not the point of our discussion. Making Individual remarks would lead us to an entire different purpose which is totally unacceptable. This forum is for people to discuss their experiences so that others get the benefit of our shortcomings. It is alright to debate on issues like this one but it is best to keep it professional in nature. We are here to share our thoughts and knowledge for mutual benefit and not to fight over things.
Secondly, there is no doubt that we are going to succeed in the future no matter how many rejections we get. We all are focused on our goals and more than happy with whatever we have. I am not frustrated because of the rejection. The thing that bothers me is the admission criteria. We need to rise above individual gains and see the bird's eye view here. It is not me or you who are suffering due to this. It is the entire clan of deserving dentists that have to go through all this after working hard to get past innumerable hurdles.
Thirdly, my comments about the selection process are ought to be judgmental since there is no evidence base whatsoever employed for admissions in any US Dental Program. If the schools can be judgmental in their admission procedure and admit candidates randomly, our right to be judgmental is very well justified. I would not question the admission process a bit if it was totally transparent. My point here is neither you nor me nor any student accepted to any US International Dentist Program predict what qualities can get you in a particular Program. All is left to the interpretation and decision of the Admission Committee which not mandated in anyway to answer anyone.
Finally, I urge you to take this debate in a healthy manner and come up with valid points that neither of us can refute. It is only through the medium of such discussions that people are going to become aware about what is going on (by people I mean students and responsible members of the faculty who follow threads as this and work positively to resolve such issues in the future).

Note: I think we should chuck this topic at this juncture since it is deviating from the purpose of this thread or if you are really interested in discussing this further we can start a new thread.

I have already sensed your frustration about rejection from your post here. Well, that is just my perspective.

Please don't try to deviate the discussion. In this post, someone self-claimed that he/she is overqualified for UPENN and think he/she is better than other applicants. The remark "overqualified" is an offense to other applicants. This is the point I have been trying to address. You may think this is just your "judgment". But I feel this is an attack to other applicants. You can say whatever you want, but I am also telling you other's feeling at the same time in this specific post.

+pity++pity++pity++pity++pity++pity+Congrats NBDE part 1 and third molar

Last edited:
To all who got interviews at UPENN, whether accepted or not, my posts under no circumstances were meant to attack or insult anyone in any way, and it never meant to show any kind of superiority to anyone as my stats are humble to many applicants. If my words were misunderstood in any other way, i apologize. All i did was criticizing how qualified candidates are rejected, but never questioned the qualifications of selected candidates.

One more thing, one of the reasons this network was founded is that all of us can express ourselves and share our experiences. So there is no need for any one of us, in the event of having a bad day or feeling pissed off for whatever reason, to start picking at other ppl's words and creating irrelevant fights, even if that might have been our way out of not having anything else to say.

Again, Congrats for all who got accepted at UPENN. I am sure this chance is your point of changing lanes for a brighter, more prosperous future, as UPENN is undoubtedly one of the top medical and dental schools in the nation and the whole world.

does anyone knw hw many people u penn interviews during one interview day?