TX Tech 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm also waitlisted.

Unfortunately, I don't think we are being told our actual ranking (or how many people are on the waitlist), just if we are in the top or bottom half.
are you still considering Tech or are you pretty much set on A&M?

Members don't see this ad.

do we get some kind of acknowledgment for reception for the alternate list thing?

do we get some kind of acknowledgment for reception for the alternate list thing?
I'm not sure what you mean, but I think maybe you're asking "do we get a confirmation from the school once their office receives the signed alternate letter?" I don't think that they notify people if they receive the signed form or not. I just called Janea today and asked if my letter arrived and she said that it arrived yesterday. If you're concern about not making it to the deadline, I would say just go ahead and contact the school and ask if they received it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok guys and gals, just got an email from a Lisa Bently (sp) saying that she "may can have good news to offer me" as soon as I get my second chicken pox shot. Anyone else get some type of similar email from Lisa about anything?

Needless to say I left work as soon as I got the email to try to convince my doctor to give me the second shot right when they were closing and faxed the form back to the school!:thumbup::laugh:

Hope this means what I think it means!

Ok guys and gals, just got an email from a Lisa Bently (sp) saying that she "may can have good news to offer me" as soon as I get my second chicken pox shot. Anyone else get some type of similar email from Lisa about anything?

Needless to say I left work as soon as I got the email to try to convince my doctor to give me the second shot right when they were closing and faxed the form back to the school!:thumbup::laugh:

Hope this means what I think it means!
that's great news! I hope i get something of the sort when I get home too :)

by the way imperialto do you mind telling me when your interview date was?

i had mine with knicker way back on 2-15-08, one of the first groups.

Oh it also said at the bottom of the email :

Fall 2008 Admissions available to Amarillo (90 seats) and Abilene (40 seats)

i had mine with knicker way back on 2-15-08, one of the first groups.

Oh it also said at the bottom of the email :

Fall 2008 Admissions available to Amarillo (90 seats) and Abilene (40 seats)
hm...i wonder if they review applicants and offer acceptances in an order based on when you interview...

Just called after faxing my immunization records and haven't heard about them receiving it and Lisa told me I got in!!!! Dean has to sign the offer and its in the mail to me!!!!!!:banana:

I choose Abilene as my first choice......anyone know when we have to start to be there, for cpr training or bootcamp stuff

Just called after faxing my immunization records and haven't heard about them receiving it and Lisa told me I got in!!!! Dean has to sign the offer and its in the mail to me!!!!!!:banana:

I choose Abilene as my first choice......anyone know when we have to start to be there, for cpr training or bootcamp stuff

CONGRATS!!!~~~~:hardy::thumbup:

I have to admit, I'm jealous, but I'm really happy for you too. :) Congratulations! Maybe you can put in a good word for me. ;);) Anyway, I'm still hoping that this waitlist thing isn't over. Maybe Abilene is just easier to fill out since it's a smaller size class. I chose Amarillo anyway. :) Well, enjoy! Maybe I can join in the celebration in about a week or so.

Do any current students have any input on buying a laser printer. I know the school offers pretty cheap printing, but it is better just to get your own? If so, is there ever a need for color or would monochrome do the trick?

Members don't see this ad :)
umm, yea so anyone still looking for room mate(s), I think I'm goin to Abilene, waiting for official offer letter.

As far as laptops go, Dell has a factory outlet that allows you to pick up a computer at a decent price. It beats the school discount.

do ya'll know if we have to purchase dell laptops from the website? or can i go burn my $300 Gift card at Best buy to get a dell and still have it under the school 'warranty' thing. As long as its win xp of course

do ya'll know if we have to purchase dell laptops from the website? or can i go burn my $300 Gift card at Best buy to get a dell and still have it under the school 'warranty' thing. As long as its win xp of course

Zeke sort of answered the question on page seven. I say sort of because he spoke of the fact you don't have to buy the laptop they recommend. He didn't say anything about the 'warranty' thing, though.

My 2 cents on laptops:

If you are fairly competent with computer hardware and software (to the point of say being able to build your own desktop), then chances are that you aren't going to need to contact IT every other second b/c "Internet Explorer keeps popping up pop-ups and freezing." In this case, get whatever you want b/c you won't need IT's help to repair the problem.

Now, some people claim you can "get a way better deal by getting something else" or that "Apple is soooo awesome!1!1" or my personal favorite "Dell sucks b/c Windows keeps freezing on it (after I pillaged it with malware)." At the time I got my D820 a year ago, AFTER THE DISCOUNT there was no way to get a comparable brand new laptop for anywhere near that amount. The market conditions may be quite different this year... shop around.

Apple is NOT anywhere near all that is advertised and you'll have to run VMWare Fusion on it with (gasp) Windows installed on the virtual machine to get the functionality you need. So I don't recommend that.

Finally, if you've got a computer that you've purchased within the last couple years that works fine, just keep using it. I remember last year that it was recommended we get a dual core proc, 128MB+ Video card, 100GB HDD, and 1GB of RAM... Most people ended up with a core 2 duo, 2GB of RAM, 512MB vid card... and need no where near that... You're supposed to be flipping through a couple web browser tabs/windows, powerpoint, and word, not rendering video!

I ended up with a Dell tablet pc, which is not one of their two recommended. But it is a Latitude.

I suspect that if Techs IT is authorized to warranty work on the Latitue D630s and D830s bought through the school's program, then they are authorized to do any warranty work on those two models. I don't know if that extends to other models. I'm hoping so because it would be nice if my tablet pc was covered.

This week I attended a presentation by Dell for the IT staff at my school. There were some interesting things I learned about the Latitude line. As the IT guy at Tech said, the advantage of buying one of these two computers is that it has a stable platform that does not change. So the first D630 bought has the same parts as the last D630 made.

The other interesting thing I learned is that the D series has been out now for several years and is about to be discontinued. In the fall they will be rolling out the E series. That bugged me because we will be needing our computers before then. But, it would make sense that Dell will have to support the D series with parts and service for at least four more years since there are people who have paid the extra for the four year warranty.

Sorry this was so long.

Congrats on getting in! I'm going to Abilene as well. I don't think they've given dates on boot camp and everything. If you're going to do a FAFSA form, you should probably start that right away. If you're on Facebook there's a group made there that's been really helpful in meeting everybody for the class of 2012.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10650099741

Do any current students have any input on buying a laser printer. I know the school offers pretty cheap printing, but it is better just to get your own? If so, is there ever a need for color or would monochrome do the trick?

I know a lot of people who bought their own printers. Printing at school is 5 cents a page. Getting your own printer will run you at about 4 cents a page. Maybe even 3 cents a page.

I guess it depends more on whether you want to print at home or print at school, and how much you print. If you spend less than $50 a semester in printing, I wouldn't think you'd need your own printer. If you print out every lecture for every class, then you might want to get your own printer.

I know a lot of people who bought their own printers. Printing at school is 5 cents a page. Getting your own printer will run you at about 4 cents a page. Maybe even 3 cents a page.

I guess it depends more on whether you want to print at home or print at school, and how much you print. If you spend less than $50 a semester in printing, I wouldn't think you'd need your own printer. If you print out every lecture for every class, then you might want to get your own printer.

Hey Tony..... do you usually print out the lectures... i'm thinking i should buy a printer with 2 extra toner cartridges (2000 pg each)

Hey Tony..... do you usually print out the lectures... i'm thinking i should buy a printer with 2 extra toner cartridges (2000 pg each)

Where's the deal? Show me please~~~:D

I never print anything unless it's required to be printed out, such as lab stuff or forms we have to sign or something. I barely used the $20 or $25 of credit they gave us for the printers.

uhhh... go to www.dell.com/ttupharmacy and click on systems recommended by the university..... i remember seeing where you can add more toner cartridges but i can't find it again. maybe the deal's over or something

Also, I heard from another classmate that he actually got the computer cheaper using the 12% off thing from dell than what he would've gotten if he had just gone with the recommended stuff. I haven't looked into it though.

Does the 4 cents/page include the cost of the printer, paper and toner, or is that 4 cents/page just for the toner?

Thanks.

heres a coupon code for dell printers(maybe) if anyone is interested:

15% off Software, Electronics & Accessories (Monitors, Ink, Toner, TV's excluded): WPHVMPJTZWPCSF

heres a coupon code for dell printers(maybe) if anyone is interested:

15% off Software, Electronics & Accessories (Monitors, Ink, Toner, TV's excluded): WPHVMPJTZWPCSF

I tried that coupon and it didn't work..... but I did find the whole deal for a Dell laser printer 1110 ($99) w/ 2 high yield toner cartridges - 2000 pg/each ($120 together) on the main site.... you don't even have to order thru the TTUpharmacy link. if you calculate it out, that's 5000 pg for $219 = 4.38 cents per page for that bundle

I am planning on taking a hiatus from SDN and especially this thread for a while. Although you guys have been wonderful in giving updates and I am genuinely happy for everyone who has been accepted, it's also been very depressing to see that everyone else here have moved on to talking about laptops and bootcamp while I'm still stuck in limbo. I just found out where I am on the alternate list and although I'm on the top half, it's not anywhere near the top. My chances look very dismal at this point. That said, I want to say that I appreciate all your support and thank you for putting up with me. :)

I am planning on taking a hiatus from SDN and especially this thread for a while. Although you guys have been wonderful in giving updates and I am genuinely happy for everyone who has been accepted, it's also been very depressing to see that everyone else here have moved on to talking about laptops and bootcamp while I'm still stuck in limbo. I just found out where I am on the alternate list and although I'm on the top half, it's not anywhere near the top. My chances look very dismal at this point. That said, I want to say that I appreciate all your support and thank you for putting up with me. :)

What do you mean about top-half? How many students are put on alernate list in total? My friend was placed on the 10-15th, does that mean her chance will be slim too?

a couple of things to take into consideration:
1. Some of us who were on the alternate list got in b4 it happened. I've spoke with 2-4 ppl from the facebook group that got in RIGHT b4 alternate list got posted but after we sent it in. So there might be hope there

2. From an earlier post, a P2, i think, mentioned that they took 20-30ppl from alternate list

3. Ppl might have got offers elsewhere and taken it instead of TT waitlist.

I've waited 4 yrs to get into pharm school, this year being the closest, and when i finally got in after hearing everyone else from my early admissions(2-15) group get in months ago I learned u really have to be patient. I gave up a month ago when I didn't hear anything and then I find out I'm one of the last accepted before alternate list tells you how long my wait has been. Don't give in and don't give up until its all said and done.:smuggrin:

If anyone in abilene is reading this, where are ya'll living at? any recommendations or roomys needed:D

and if there are any P2's, how much stuff do we need to print? I'm seeing all these post about buying laser printers and its freakin me out, anyone have link to notes for incoming p1 to post so i can print them at work, now while i still can

man its been a while since anyones posted... kinda went dead after school let out

anyone register yet???

man its been a while since anyones posted... kinda went dead after school let out

anyone register yet???

No, not yet. I still have couple of holds~~:p

Just got accepted yesterday!!! See you guys who are going to Abilene!!

man its been a while since anyones posted... kinda went dead after school let out anyone register yet???

I registered yesterday and it looks like a couple of other people may have, too.

I know boot camp starts on the 4th of August, but I'd sure like to see the schedule.

I registered yesterday and it looks like a couple of other people may have, too.

I know boot camp starts on the 4th of August, but I'd sure like to see the schedule.

There isn't really a schedule. Every day is different. Just expect to have to be there from 8 to 4 or 5 everyday for 2 weeks.

is anybody going to look for apts anytime soon.... i am living in lubbock for the summer and kinda wanted to see if anybody had any input on apts

I drove from San Antonio to look around last Friday. I put a deposit down on an apt in Riatta Ranch. Its about 2.5miles from the campus which is nice. I believe there is a super walmart about 5 miles away. They also provide free cable TV. Parkridge Place I think is nicer than Riatta Ranch but its about 9miles away from the school. They also have W/D hookups in 1 bedroom apts. I choose Riatta Ranch because of how close it is to the school to save money. Hope this helps.

I drove from San Antonio to look around last Friday. I put a deposit down on an apt in Riatta Ranch. Its about 2.5miles from the campus which is nice. I believe there is a super walmart about 5 miles away. They also provide free cable TV. Parkridge Place I think is nicer than Riatta Ranch but its about 9miles away from the school. They also have W/D hookups in 1 bedroom apts. I choose Riatta Ranch because of how close it is to the school to save money. Hope this helps.

thanks, but i was wondering if anybody was going to amarillo to see apts

Just got accepted yesterday!!! See you guys who are going to Abilene!!

congrats!! Are u on facebook, there is a group there called Texastech pharmacy class of 2012......

Riatta ranch is sounding pretty good, do they have w/d hook up or is it a community w/d thingy?

For those still looking for laser printer, just found this

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=840467

laser printer at office max (brothers 2140) for $40 after rebate, cartridge news http://www.cartridgenews.com/brother-hl-2140 says u can get up to 2600 pages per toner

congrats!! Are u on facebook, there is a group there called Texastech pharmacy class of 2012......

Riatta ranch is sounding pretty good, do they have w/d hook up or is it a community w/d thingy?

For those still looking for laser printer, just found this

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=840467

laser printer at office max (brothers 2140) for $40 after rebate, cartridge news http://www.cartridgenews.com/brother-hl-2140 says u can get up to 2600 pages per toner

very good deal~!!!! thx a lot

Yup, already joined the facebook group! yea, i was looking up riatta ranch. It says they have a laundry facility, but it also says in the 3 bedroom units there is a w/d hook up.
Are there any people planning on rooming with someone or just going to room by themselves?

So for the printer.. do we need a color laser printer or can we just get a back laser one?

Anyone looking for a roommate in Abilene??

So for the printer.. do we need a color laser printer or can we just get a back laser one?

Anyone looking for a roommate in Abilene??

check my earlier post for officemax $40 laser printer...... room mate checky face book for a guy named bryon. or add me as a friend on facebook: michael to, he's a p2 askeing $333 for house of 3 room 1 bathroom.

For Anatomy and Cell Biology, the book list says that "Package of Human Anatomy with Workbook, Atlas, and CD-ROM, 5th Ed., Benjamin Cummings" is required.

How useful was the CD-ROM that came with the text book? How about the Atlas? I'm trying to figure out if it is absolutely imperative to have these of is it just part of a package so they list it.

Thanks.

from what i heard from the P2's atlas not necessary, cd u can probably bum from someone and just make a copy. book is needed. If you are on facebook there is a group for texas tech class of 2012, lots of good info on there with everyones questions, concerns, and stuff being answered by p2s.