No Pharm Tech Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will the lack of being a pharm tech adversely affect my application?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Depends

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

prepharmstudent77

Reaction score
I am in the process of applying to the UW School of Pharmacy, but feel my application is going to look inadequate due to my lack of experience as a pharmacy technician. The vast majority (>90%) of their most recently admitted class were pharmacy technicians and almost everybody I've talked who are either in or completed the program said they were pharmacy technicians. Will my lack of experience affect my ability to get in?

I do have experience working in a research lab studying the efficacy and pharmacokinetics of liposome-based drug formulations for two years now and have a 3.8 GPA with volunteer experience, worked as a chemistry tutor, and shadowed pharmacists. LORs from the researcher/professor I’ve been working for, my organic chem lab instructor, and my mentor who is an academic advisor for my current program. Will this be enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am in the process of applying to the UW School of Pharmacy, but feel my application is going to look inadequate due to my lack of experience as a pharmacy technician. The vast majority (>90%) of their most recently admitted class were pharmacy technicians and almost everybody I've talked who are either in or completed the program said they were pharmacy technicians. Will my lack of experience affect my ability to get in?

I do have experience working in a research lab studying the efficacy and pharmacokinetics of liposome-based drug formulations for two years now and have a 3.8 GPA with volunteer experience, worked as a chemistry tutor, and shadowed pharmacists. Will this be enough?
Anyone with a pulse and can qualify for $200k in student loans will get in. You have nothing to worry about, but be aware that you are walking into your own demise. Pick another profession if possible.

Reactions: 1 users

I do have experience working in a research lab studying the efficacy and pharmacokinetics of liposome-based drug formulations for two years now and have a 3.8 GPA with volunteer experience, worked as a chemistry tutor, and shadowed pharmacists. Will this be enough?

Short answer: you’ll be fine

Look at other threads with minimum accepted GPA’s and majority of people never setting foot in a pharmacy. If people with ~2.5 two year pre-reqs get in with no research or experience your bound to be accepted somewhere.

Just be cautious when choosing this field

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It won't affect your application to get in, but it will definitely affect your future job prospects and overall happiness.

Not having experience means that you don't know what this profession is truly like. You don't make an informed decision on going into the field so you listen to the sales pitches of pharmacy schools on how great this profession is and will be in the future. By the time you step into a pharmacy the very first time in your life during rotations, you're already $100k+ in debt and halfway through school.

Anyone with a pulse and can qualify for $200k in student loans will get in. You have nothing to worry about, but be aware that you are walking into your own demise. Pick another profession if possible.
stop this. am tired of seeing the same post in differnt threads

Your chances are basically 100% because the only standard is "can you pay?" for school.