New tech dealing with a condescending staff pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emptysequencee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in need of some advice. I'm a recent grad since Spring 2019. I graduated with my chem degree and did a second major.

I'm currently working as a pharm tech at a major retail chain before starting pharmacy school next year to gain as much knowledge, experience, and exposure as possible.

Well I've only been working as a tech for 2 months and I'm dealing with a staff pharmacist who comes off as condescending.

Whenever I ask a question, she sometimes comes off as annoyed or makes disparaging remarks. I've never went to tech school so all of this is completely new to me. Whenever I make an error, I apologize and ask how I can prevent that from happening again.

Well recently, I've gotten into typing up prescriptions and I only know the basic sig codes like qd, po, among others (which I had to teach myself since I've never gone to tech school)....

Before learning the sig codes, the pharmacist walked up to me one time and told me "you don't have to type out the whole thing, you can just use the sig codes and type +qd instead of actually writing out everyday. Like, it's not that hard it's so easy." I just bit my tongue and went with it.

Now, this is the tip of the iceberg. While I was typing up prescriptions, I had to convert tsp to mL. All I asked her is, "hey can you remind me how many mL are in a tsp so I can do the dimensional analysis?"

How she responded: "what, how do you not know that? That's the first thing they teach you in tech school. Did you even go to tech school?"

I told her, no I never went to tech school....

Then she asked the other tech if they ever taught her conversions and sig codes and she told the pharmacist that she went through a pharmacy technician program at her high school and that's how she knows them.

Then the pharmacist tells me how did I get the job if I've never gone to tech school. Then she tells me that I have a chemistry degree so I should know how many mL are in a tsp.

After saying all of that, she finally gives me the answer and tells me that there are 5 mL in a tsp. Way to just embarrass me in front of the staff and patients. I never feel comfortable approaching her with a question. She comes off as really condescending. I told the sr tech what the pharmacist said to me and the sr tech told me that the pharmacist was out of line for that and that I should tell both the store and pharmacy manager.

What are your honest opinions and recommendations for handling the condescending behavior from the pharmacist? Have any of you had similar experiences? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
I would be annoyed too... Tech school? Why didn’t you work while you were in pharmacy school?

I would be annoyed too... Tech school? Why didn’t you work while you were in pharmacy school?

I'm not sure if you read everything thoroughly... however, I'll reiterate:

Ive recently graduated with my chem degree. Currently, I am working as a tech BEFORE starting pharmacy school next year. I am not in pharmacy school yet. I've never went to tech school. All I did was attend college and graduate. The things you learn in tech school, you don't learn in college such as the sig codes. Therefore, a lot of things I'm learning in the pharmacy are completely new to me. That's the point.

Does that help?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if you read everything thoroughly... however, I'll reiterate:

Ive recently graduated with my chem degree. Currently, I am working as a tech BEFORE starting pharmacy school next year. I am not in pharmacy school yet. I've never went to tech school. All I did was attend college and graduate. The things you learn in tech school, you don't learn in college such as the sig codes. Therefore, a lot of things I'm learning in the pharmacy are completely new to me. That's the point.

Does that help?

Oh gotcha - yes I didn’t read it all. In this case, this is quite common. Please understand that a retail pharmacist is absurdly overwhelmed and there is very little to enjoy about the job. You are interested and enthusiastic right now and simply want to do the right thing. After some time in the pharmacy you will see that it’s more of a war zone than a learning environment. Every question you ask the pharmacist, he/she is likely thinking “damn it I have like a million Rx to verify before closing and I really want to get home in time”. This is likely the source of their frustration - not you. In any case, we have all been in your shoes and you just need to get over the hump.

“Tech school” is entirely unnecessary and largely just a scam to get student loan money. Oh and - telling on someone, if it is not a serious infraction of policy or ethics, is not cool. If this pharmacist is being a butthole it’s up to you to rise above it and eventually position yourself to be in a place where you take their job when you graduate. Let the game of thrones begin. That’s what I would do at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
lmao, tell both the store and pharmacy manager what happened. One thing I absolutely hate about smart/intelligent people is them being smug or condescending towards someone. Id punch them square in their nose if I could get away with it.

There is a tech school? Never heard of it. I literally learned all my crap for being a pharmacy technician from the stupidly long training modules at CVS when I worked there in the past. I didn't even know the unit conversions crap till pharmacy school. The pharmacist you worked with is just an ass and there tends to be those miserable sacks who push their misery onto the other staff members. Unfortunately those exist and those stores are usually hiring because no one wants to work with them.

lmao, tell both the store and pharmacy manager what happened. One thing I absolutely hate about smart/intelligent people is them being smug or condescending towards someone. Id punch them square in their nose if I could get away with it.

Well you could always tell the pharmacist to take the teaspoon and shove it up his/her ***, but that would tip the accountability scale against you.

Best way is to make sure they never see you coming, and when it’s too late for them, they will never see what hit them. Like I said - position yourself in a way that you will take their job someday.

I can tell she's a total b**** because she did not even warn you to not go to pharmacy school

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Yeah some people are just d**** so if you want to report them for the "lulz" go for it and see what happens. But as someone who is going to pharmacy school you don't show much initiative in learning the basics and are hiding behind the excuse of not going to "tech school"

"had to teach yourself." LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe she is preparing you for when you graduate pharmacy school against condescending customers and doctors if you work retail

First of all..very few pharmacists..doctor...nurses...chiro's.. faith healers etc. have the horsepower to be condescending about ANYTHING. They know a lot about a few things..(The emergency dept is different..but even they need a little adjusting from time to time). The key is to make sure that YOU do....Gotta admit that a chem major would be expected to realize that a teaspoon is about 5 cc's ...You want to be a real peon? Get a pharmacy degree....be a peon and broke too..

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

I'm in need of some advice. I'm a recent grad since Spring 2019. I graduated with my chem degree and did a second major.

I'm currently working as a pharm tech at a major retail chain before starting pharmacy school next year to gain as much knowledge, experience, and exposure as possible.

Well I've only been working as a tech for 2 months and I'm dealing with a staff pharmacist who comes off as condescending.

Whenever I ask a question, she sometimes comes off as annoyed or makes disparaging remarks. I've never went to tech school so all of this is completely new to me. Whenever I make an error, I apologize and ask how I can prevent that from happening again.

Well recently, I've gotten into typing up prescriptions and I only know the basic sig codes like qd, po, among others (which I had to teach myself since I've never gone to tech school)....

Before learning the sig codes, the pharmacist walked up to me one time and told me "you don't have to type out the whole thing, you can just use the sig codes and type +qd instead of actually writing out everyday. Like, it's not that hard it's so easy." I just bit my tongue and went with it.

Now, this is the tip of the iceberg. While I was typing up prescriptions, I had to convert tsp to mL. All I asked her is, "hey can you remind me how many mL are in a tsp so I can do the dimensional analysis?"

How she responded: "what, how do you not know that? That's the first thing they teach you in tech school. Did you even go to tech school?"

I told her, no I never went to tech school....

Then she asked the other tech if they ever taught her conversions and sig codes and she told the pharmacist that she went through a pharmacy technician program at her high school and that's how she knows them.

Then the pharmacist tells me how did I get the job if I've never gone to tech school. Then she tells me that I have a chemistry degree so I should know how many mL are in a tsp.

After saying all of that, she finally gives me the answer and tells me that there are 5 mL in a tsp. Way to just embarrass me in front of the staff and patients. I never feel comfortable approaching her with a question. She comes off as really condescending. I told the sr tech what the pharmacist said to me and the sr tech told me that the pharmacist was out of line for that and that I should tell both the store and pharmacy manager.

What are your honest opinions and recommendations for handling the condescending behavior from the pharmacist? Have any of you had similar experiences? Thanks for the help.
This is a tough person to work with :( I feel you because I have been through the same thing. There should be a sig code cheat sheet you can use. Also, if you ever have a question, try to ask another pharmacist or a tech for help. If it gets worse than what you explianed, I would say find another pharmacy to work at.

That pharmacist is miserable cause she hates her job and profession. Very common these days.

There are buttholes in every workplace. Time to develop some thick skin and not let it bother you if you're going to survive a retail environment.

She sounds rude. You can`t fix rude adults, they will stay that way no matter what. Just make this a life lesson. Once you start working in a pharmacy you will be dealing with all kind of people and some of them will make that pharmacist look like an angel.

I am not that nice if somebody ask me samething three times or make same mistake 3 times though.

I went from chemistry to working as a pharm tech and I gotta be honest with you: it was very annoying dealing with units, alot of pharmacists confuse % with density or dont know the unit conversions, you can however just use a simple google search for the units you were looking for.

Dont worry too much about it, I guarantee you someone this bitter and pissed off at her job will inevitably make a mistake at some point in which case I would not be gracious in how I go about reporting that stuff to upper level management or the state board.

I went from chemistry to working as a pharm tech and I gotta be honest with you: it was very annoying dealing with units, alot of pharmacists confuse % with density or dont know the unit conversions, you can however just use a simple google search for the units you were looking for.

Dont worry too much about it, I guarantee you someone this bitter and pissed off at her job will inevitably make a mistake at some point in which case I would not be gracious in how I go about reporting that stuff to upper level management or the state board.

Ok.....

Dont let it bother you too much! Practice makes perfect. Do your job to the best of your ability, ask a question only once and make a list of commonly used sigs. Stay positive! Good luck!