Tulane ACLP 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted here recently

Members don't see this ad.

Not from the ACLP program, but I did complete one of the "other 3" programs at Tulane several years ago and would be happy to answer questions about it/them (2 of them worked very closely with each other) if people are interested in them. Note, it's been a while since I graduated from that program, so my info may not be completely up to date.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected too. No other options for this year though. Guess I'll be studying for an MCAT retake and hustling up some more clinical hours!
Best wishes to everyone who got into Tulane ACLP and elsewhere!
Not from the ACLP program, but I did complete one of the "other 3" programs at Tulane several years ago and would be happy to answer questions about it/them (2 of them worked very closely with each other) if people are interested in them. Note, it's been a while since I graduated from that program, so my info may not be completely up to date.
Did you attend TUSOM afterward because of your program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you attend TUSOM afterward because of your program?

I did not. A few people in my program did, but most of us ended up at other MD/DO programs across the country. As far as I know the only true linkage program there is the ACLP. Pharm SMP also has pretty strong connections but is not linkage.

has everyone heard back at this point?

also, does anyone know how many people have been placed on the alternate list?

has everyone heard back at this point?

By my count, there are 17 new ACLP students in our Facebook group. Maybe there's still one open spot, or maybe there's just a floater out there who doesn't really use fb. Again, I have no idea what the ACLP adcom is up to.

Also multiple people left the group last year (either they decided not to go to ACLP, or got off their waitlist at whatever medical school), so you can always bet on that happening as well.

By my count, there are 17 new ACLP students in our Facebook group. Maybe there's still one open spot, or maybe there's just a floater out there who doesn't really use fb. Again, I have no idea what the ACLP adcom is up to.

Also multiple people left the group last year (either they decided not to go to ACLP, or got off their waitlist at whatever medical school), so you can always bet on that happening as well.
thanks for the update, @Austinerino! if you don’t mind me asking, about how long did it take you last year to get accepted from the alternate list?

Was super worried about my dip in performance in my last semester but I was told today my offer wouldn't get rescinded because of it. I'll be withdrawing my spot here soon. Hope my seat goes to one of you! I wish you all the best of luck.

Reactions: 3 users
Since I have gotten quite a few msgs about this; I withdrew from the program about a week ago and got a confirmation from Ms. Perron. Again, best of luck to all of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just accepted this morning from the wait list! Best of luck to other people who are still waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
I just got an email from Ms. Perron containing a letter from the ACLP director encouraging me to apply to the MS in Anatomy program, but the letter was addressed to a different applicant. Not sure what that means.

Just wondering if this happened to anyone else, or if anyone else has gotten an email telling them to apply for the MS in Anatomy program? Does this mean we’re at a lower consideration on the alternate list?

Last edited:
I just got an email from Ms. Perron containing a letter from the ACLP director encouraging me to apply to the MS in Anatomy program, but the letter was addressed to a different applicant. Not sure what that means.

Just wondering if this happened to anyone else, or if anyone else has gotten an email telling them to apply for the MS in Anatomy program? Does this mean we’re at a lower consideration on the alternate list?
I got the same email. No idea what it means tho lol.

It probs means y'all would be good fit for MS Anatomy. I think they're trying to get this program more well-known
Yeah I think they're trying to get more people into the program since they said it was a guaranteed acceptance in the email.

I also got the email after I had been rejected from ACLP. The letter said it was like the ACLP without the strong connection to Tulane SOM.

I also got the email after I had been rejected from ACLP. The letter said it was like the ACLP without the strong connection to Tulane SOM.
Was the letter directed specifically to you? Did it have more information/What else did it say?

I received the same email today, and it was addressed towards me. I got waitlisted for the program, so it mentioned waitlist movement. It also talked about the program in general and how I’d be admitted if I did decided to apply.

Was the letter directed specifically to you? Did it have more information/What else did it say?
It was. I thought it was weird so I emailed Sharron and she said Dr. Korndorffer told her to offer it to everyone that was waitlisted and rejected.

+1. Are we un-rejected??? Kind of odd...
ps - wrote this before seeing that you called Shannon. Thanks for sharing that info!

Last edited:
Hey @Stagg737 , sounds like a number of us have been auto-accepted to the Tulane MS Anatomy program - can you offer any words of wisdom? From earlier posts in this thread, the curriculum sounds similar to the ACLP (without the unofficial linkage, of course) and the program is 32 units, so it would help grade-enhancers thinking of applying to LSU. How about other aspects of the program: did you do lots of shadowing? How much academic advising did you get? How much interaction with the M1s and ACLP students (aside from being slightly segregated in the lab)? Were the med school instructors willing to write letters of rec?

What are you up to these days, did you end up at an MD program?

All advice would be welcome!

Hey @Stagg737 , sounds like a number of us have been auto-accepted to the Tulane MS Anatomy program - can you offer any words of wisdom? From earlier posts in this thread, the curriculum sounds similar to the ACLP (without the unofficial linkage, of course) and the program is 32 units, so it would help grade-enhancers thinking of applying to LSU. How about other aspects of the program: did you do lots of shadowing? How much academic advising did you get? How much interaction with the M1s and ACLP students (aside from being slightly segregated in the lab)? Were the med school instructors willing to write letters of rec?

What are you up to these days, did you end up at an MD program?

All advice would be welcome!

So my program had minimal contact with the medical school. I had basically none with the M1s and ACLP students other than a mixer each semester. We worked largely with the science and engineering school and worked with a lot of the PhDs there. Fortunately, my close friends in the program lived in a duplex and the other side was 3 M4s at LSU, so we got some solid exposure anyway. Our classes were either with the PhD students (more higher level classes where we discussed research and modern breakthroughs in the field, more of here's an article let's discuss it's implications and the higher science) or with UG students where we were expected to do extra work/had extra requirements. In those classes we often took the same tests as the UG students but would have additional grad-level questions. We'd also be expected to either teach a lecture or two, write a paper/mini thesis or both.

My program had 1 required class each semester where we either had to do volunteer work or research (minimum of 50 hours over the course of the semester) and write a paper about our experience and then give a presentation to our program, our "sister" master's program, the PhD students in the department, and whatever faculty felt like showing up. If it was research, we were supposed to write a scientific article and present like we were at a conference. If it was volunteering, it was supposed to be about some healthcare aspect of our work and how we could use what we learned in medicine. I did research one semester (ufortunately, no pubs, picked the wrong lab), and volunteered in the cath lab the other semester (wrote a mini-thesis about current theories and physiologic understanding of atherosclerotic plaque formation growth). I felt my academic advising was good. Not superb, but it felt like the best in the world considering my UG adviser was awful. It was good enough to show me where my weaknesses were, how to improve them, and what NOT to do with my application. I didn't do a ton of shadowing, but I had 200+ hours of shadowing before grad school, so it wasn't a priority for me. Classmates seemed to have no problems finding physicians to shadow though.

Our instructors were more than happy to write LORs for us, and knew that they were basically expected. I got 1 from a random PhD professor and one from a PhD whose husband was previously an ADCOM member at Tulane. Idk how similar this is for the ACLP program, but LORs were not an issue for me or my classmates.

I did not end up at an MD program, I went DO. However, I also had a pretty unique road and did get MD interviews which I turned down for reasons not relevant here. At my program every ended up getting into either med school or dental school other than 2 people. One entered the program with plans to be a biological lawyer and got into Tulane for law school. The other fell in love with research and got her PhD, so she didn't even apply to med schools. My friends ended up all over the country for med school (Creighton, Baylor, Ohio State, Louisville, UCF, Albert Einstein, etc) and many of them got ridiculous residency positions (Gas at Mayo, Plastics, 3 neurosurgeons, OB/Gyn at JHU). I'm kind of the black sheep in the sense that I ended up going DO and chose a less competitive specialty, but still matched at my #1 program which is a mid-tier academic program. So zero regrets with my path.

Biggest piece of advice is to know your priorities. You're there to kill it academically. NOLA is an amazing city unlike anywhere else and it can be easy to get swept up in the distractions. Make sure you set some time aside to play and explore, but stay organized and take care of business before anything else. There were times when I wanted to go party but I had a test the following weekend. It sucked staying home and studying while my friends were out having a great time, but in the long run I'm glad I kept those priorities straight (wish I had in UG!). I think ya'll are going to be at a solid program, so just stay focused and take care of business and I think things will work out for the best for most people.

Good luck and feel free to PM or ask for more advice here. Glad to help when I can.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much! I'm going to PM you since I'm now choosing between two options, one with a much clearer path to med school. I'm glad you included the advice about focusing - this other option is in a city nowhere near as interesting as New Orleans (not that many other cities measure up), but has a pretty strong linkage.

I'm also dying to ask: what is a "biological lawyer"? Patent lawyer? Other?

Thanks so much! I'm going to PM you since I'm now choosing between two options, one with a much clearer path to med school. I'm glad you included the advice about focusing - this other option is in a city nowhere near as interesting as New Orleans (not that many other cities measure up), but has a pretty strong linkage.

I'm also dying to ask: what is a "biological lawyer"? Patent lawyer? Other?

She said she wanted to work with environmental law but also wanted to work with medical/biotech and develop some patents. I haven't kept in touch with her, so I can't really say what her current career path looks like, but that's what she wanted to do back then.

Edit: Quick google creeping shows she's now an environmental lawyer at a law firm. Won't/can't really give more details, but is apparently doing some form of environmental law.

Last edited: