Tulane ACLP 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted289061

I decided to make a thread ahead of the application period opening up. I spoke with Tulane a few days ago and they said they would be updating their website soon to reflect the new cycle. And for those new to this thread, the Anatomy Certification & Leadership Program (Previously Anatomy Certification Program, ACP) is a program that is associated with Tulane University School of Medicine. Here is a link to their program for more information: Structural & Cellular Biology-Anatomy Certification & Leadership Program | medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know when the application cycle starts? Their website doesn't seem to be updated for the 2018-2019 cycle yet and I couldn't find a date they start taking applications

Do you know when the application cycle starts? Their website doesn't seem to be updated for the 2018-2019 cycle yet and I couldn't find a date they start taking applications
I spoke with someone from the program a couple weeks ago and they said it should be updated soon. She thought by the end of January to the middle of February.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! The seventeen of us of the 2017-2018 ACLP class just finished our histology NBME exams & officially completed the program today. Feel free to ask us questions about the program/TUSOM in general and be on the lookout for a Facebook group for some helpful documents/ask us more questions there too

here: Log into Facebook | Facebook

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi all! The seventeen of us of the 2017-2018 ACLP class just finished our histology NBME exams & officially completed the program today. Feel free to ask us questions about the program/TUSOM in general and be on the lookout for a Facebook group for some helpful documents/ask us more questions there too

(posting the link ~later~ because apparently I need 10 SDN posts to do that)
Why 17? I thought the class size was 18? Also, do you know approximately when they’ll be reviewing applications for the coming class? And finally, do you know how many of your classmates were accepted to TUSOM? Thanks!

Why 17? I thought the class size was 18? Also, do you know approximately when they’ll be reviewing applications for the coming class? And finally, do you know how many of your classmates were accepted to TUSOM? Thanks!

- We did start with 18, but one student had to go back home after the first week to deal with a family matter.

- When I submitted my application last year, I was notified that review with the ACLP committee was sometime during the first week of June, and decisions were made during the second week of June. It is also worth noting that people do get waitlisted at this program! I was fortunate enough to be offered a spot off the waitlist about a week after.

- We interviewed on TUSOM's last interview day (3/7) this year, but we haven't heard back from admissions yet. Though, unlike last year, all 17 of us were offered and attended the interview. In addition, I do know that a few of my classmates are still entertaining offers from other schools/still interviewing.

Reactions: 1 users
- We did start with 18, but one student had to go back home after the first week to deal with a family matter.

- When I submitted my application last year, I was notified that review with the ACLP committee was sometime during the first week of June, and decisions were made during the second week of June. It is also worth noting that people do get waitlisted at this program! I was fortunate enough to be offered a spot off the waitlist about a week after.

- We interviewed on TUSOM's last interview day (3/7) this year, but we haven't heard back from admissions yet. Though, unlike last year, all 17 of us were offered and attended the interview. In addition, I do know that a few of my classmates are still entertaining offers from other schools/still interviewing.
Do you know the average stats of your class? Did they share that information? Also, did it seem that most students admitted had a lot of something like community service or hospital experience? And what’s the oldest student that has done this program or oldest in your class? Thanks again. This is very helpful.

Do you know the average stats of your class? Did they share that information? Also, did it seem that most students admitted had a lot of something like community service or hospital experience? And what’s the oldest student that has done this program or oldest in your class? Thanks again. This is very helpful.

No problem.

Not sure about the average stats of my class specifically, but I can tell you I finished undergrad last year with a 510 MCAT and a 3.6, which is just about where the TUSOM class of 2021 stats lie according to their fact sheet. Again I can't post links without 10 posts, but you can Google that up pretty easily. I also don't know why I didn't apply to Tulane MD my first time lol.

Also can't really speak to extracurriculars other than I'm sure we all had them in our application. Judging from the amount of non-walmart scrubs I saw in anatomy lab though, I think more than a few of us had hospital experience in areas like scribing. Again, the majority of us were also out of school for a while and doing things to enhance their application with like actual jobs (which I can't comment on since i had like a 3 month turnaround time between school and... more school) We were also at all different points in our re-application cycles. Some of us were coming off of our first waitlist, others have been working for a number of years. Only a handful of us were straight out of college '16/'17, with the average age somewhere around 24 (again similar to TUSOM '21). The oldest in my class was 29. One of our TA's from this year (now part of TUSOM '21) is 31, so he did the program at 30.

Will they let applicants know when they’ve received everything or should I call?

If anyone was on the fence about the strength of this program, 17 out of 17 of us were offered admission to TUSOM today!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is awesome! Do you know if I’d be better off in one of the other 3 programs? I didn’t apply this cycle and therefore don’t have any waitlists.

Hey everyone.

I'm a current ACLP student who wanted to put together this unofficial guide for any prospective students. Sorry for the long post, but imo it's better to be as informed as possible when choosing an SMP bc it sucks being in that position when in waitlist purgatory. I wish I saw this kind of post before coming to the ACLP last fall. As far as I know, all 17/17 ACLP students who interviewed at Tulane med three weeks ago just got our Tulane med acceptances yesterday. #TYBG #MoreLife

*** DISCLAIMER: THIS IS ALL BASED ON MY EXPERIENCES INTERSPERSED WITH A FEW ANECDOTES FROM OTHER CURRENT ACLP STUDENTS. PLEASE DO TAKE EVERYTHING I SAY WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. ***

To elaborate on the stats Austinerino gave in his prior post
Dr. Rowan - the head of the Tulane Structural and Cell Bio (SCB) Dept and thus the head of the Tulane ACLP since we're students under the SCB dept - led a new ACLP student orientation and said that 38 people applied to the program, which was extremely low for some reason this year and is usually 80-100 people. Also, to my best knowledge, the ratio of MD to DO waitlist letters was 16 to 1 (I'm not sure about the guy who left at the start of the program), and almost all of us went to at least a top 50 USNWR National or top 50 Liberal Arts school. Most of us majored in a hard science too. I'm not saying you won't get in if you don't meet these criteria, but just want to give an accurate picture of our class.

Also, all the ACLP students this year got accepted to TUSOM, but this situation is very rare. From previous years, the acceptance rate has usually been 16/18 people, which is closer to the 87% that was advertised on the website.​

ACLP Timeline
May to first week of August
Make sure to submit your application following the instructions on the ACLP website (I can't post links until I reach 10 posts). You'll hear back about a month after the deadline, and if accepted, will have to mail a $250 check to the SCB as a deposit since they don't accept Paypal/credit card/wire transfers. Idk why tho. Just FYI, ACLP DOES NOT QUALIFY for traditional school loans or continuing education loans because you're under the SCB dept and not the school of medicine. Though idk the details, a friend of mine in the ACLP got a bank loan, but please do speak with our secretary Shannon when the time comes. Orientation week starts last week of August where you meet the SCB staff and give your $16K tuition in check form for the same reasons as the deposit. You also sign an agreement that states you will TA Gross anatomy if you get accepted and ultimately attend Tulane med in the fall.
Rest of August to early November
You take Gross, Developmental, and Radiological Anatomy, where you learn gross anatomy, pertinent embryology topics, and how to read X Ray, CT, and MRI scans. There are daily 8 AM lectures, which are optional, but they might help you with the day's dissection. Daily dissections are mandatory from 9 AM to 11 AM-12 PM ish depending on your lab director. The amount of information you have to learn throughout anatomy is similar to that in 11 weeks of an accelerated Organic chem I/II or Biochem I/II class plus the respective labs. Like in orgo or biochem where you have to know more than just chemical structure, there's more than memorizing structures to excel in gross anatomy. To get above average, it would do you well to memorize origins/insertions, actions of all the muscles, clinical correlations, spatial organization, and a touch of physiology as well. Reading the first few chapters one or two weeks before class starts will help, but anything more than that will be a waste of your time. However, there are high yield things that you should be focusing on, so you not only have to study hard, but study smart. You have to score at or above the T1 (Tulane's version of M1) average to have a good shot at an interview. Also, don't disrespect anyone - students, faculty, staff, or anyone. T1's write peer evals of you and lab directors speak about you individually in TA meetings, so having the reputation of being creepy, childish, socially inept, annoying, etc. will hurt your chances of admission.
Rest of November to late March
You'll only be taking Medical Histology, which is far less rigorous and has a significantly smaller time commitment than gross anatomy. This grade really doesn't play a role in your admission unless you fail it. Thus, there will be a lot of free time to pursue other interests. During that time, you could get involved with research within the SCB dept/Tulane SOM/LSU's University Medical Center (UMC), various jobs, volunteering at various events, or something else productive - you just want to have something to talk about during potential interviews (Tulane's will be in March). The interview day is pretty low stress; it consists of an intro presentation about Tulane, a standardized patient (SP) exercise with the SP being a current T1/T2 who you probably already know, a faculty interview, a student interview during lunch, and finally a tour of the medical school campus. This year, all 17 of us got interviews and there was one other non-ACLP student who interviewed alongside us. You'll probably get your decision letters soon after Histology ends in late March and then the program will be done.
Resubmitting AMCAS
You have to submit another AMCAS for the upcoming cycle, but it's up to you whether or not to submit to other schools or just Tulane. For Tulane, just submit your AMCAS and secondary before any deadlines and you'll be fine. You can either use the same AMCAS app as last time or change it. However, people have gotten accepted from the ACLP by using the same AMCAS and secondaries as the previous year or sending completely new ones.
Applying to Other Med Schools
About half of us applied to other MD/DO schools while about half just applied to Tulane. Out of those 9 or so people who applied to other schools, there were about 7 interviews that led to 5 waitlists, 1 acceptance, and 1 acceptance from the waitlist. Thus, only two people got into med schools other than Tulane. I only applied to Tulane, so this is all I can say about the process.
Degree
After completion of the ACLP, you will be getting a certificate of completion as opposed to a Master's in Anatomy.​

Life in NOLA
Weather
The nice part about NOLA is the warm, tropical weather. However, it did get as cold as 30º F and flooding does occur in certain parts of the city (my friend parked his newly leased car in from of his house only to find water up to the hood during a crazy flash flood from a tropical storm). Winters are nice (60º to 70º F), but summers are brutal with 80ºF with 90% humidity.​

Housing
Central Business District (CBD)
Deming is the Tulane grad student housing connected to the Tulane hospital in the CBD. The major pro is that it's super convenient for getting to class. The major con is that it looks a lot like a typical undergrad dorm. However, if you do choose Deming, do make sure to pay month-by-month and not to sign a year's lease just in case you want to travel home after the ACLP ends. Rent is about $900/mo for a single room I think, but do check the website since I didn't live there. Apartments in the CBD such as Elk Place, the California Building, 925 Common, 930 Poydras, and Four Winds are other options. They're all within half a mile to the Tulane hospital and most of them are super nice. Rent is a little on the pricey side for NOLA with $1200 for a studio at the cheapest. People do bring their cars and live in the CBD, but it's totally possible to get away without one if you live here, which is another major pro. Though there is a risk everywhere of getting mugged/shot in NOLA, I just want to warn you that the CBD isn't a safe area at night. However, there's adequate security around to curb most crime. You'll thus probs be hearing police sirens and people yelling in the streets at odd hours of the night depending on where in the CBD you live (I hang out at my friend's place in the CBD a lot and I can confirm that the CBD is loud). Finally, you're going to be super close to Mardi Gras parades which is both awesome and a pain due to drunk tourists and traffic.

Uptown
A decent number people live in the Broadmoor neighborhood (including me) within a mile from the Tulane undergrad campus. The main pros are that it's quiet and rent is cheaper ($300-$900 per month depending on where you live). The main con is that you will definitely need a car here to get groceries and to get to school, but you can walk/bike 15 min to the undergrad football stadium, where a Tulane bus can shuttle you to and from the downtown med school campus. 10-15 min drive to the med school. Also we didn't get any flooding during the tropical storm and we still had water when it got shut off in the CBD/Lower Garden District.

Lower Garden District (LGD)
A lot of med students live here - especially in an apt complex called The Saulet. There are other options such as The Georgian, but I can't recall any more from the top of my head. Rent is similar to the CBD, and you'll probs need a car here depending where you live; however, a car will make life a lot easier. The Tulane bus to and from the med school campus also stops nearby the Georgian if you don't have a car. 10-15 min drive to the med school.

Mid-City
Rent is very similar to Uptown and you'll need to have a car if you live here. I don't think the Tulane bus stops in mid city though. The main con is flooding - I mentioned my friend's car being totalled in a tropical storm and it was parked in mid city when the flood happened. However, there are a lot of great restaurants in Mid-City and you're close to City Park, which is super nice. About 5-15 min drive to Tulane med

Marigny
Very few med students live here, but rent is similar to Uptown/Mid City. You're also super close to Frenchman Street, which is the party street for locals. Marigny is super hipster too. However, it's a 20-25 min ish commute to the med school so you'll def need a car here. Can't really say too much since I haven't spent as much time in friend's houses here as the other places.

French Quarter
Idk anyone who lives here bc rent is mad expensive and the area is loud af and filled with tourists all the time. Probs not the best for someone serious about school.
Mardi Gras
Lots of parades and revelry. Tulane med's spring break also corresponds to the Mardi Gras week. Get ready for lots of traffic due to road closings.
To give a personal testimony of the program -
Tl;dr: I wanted to get into any allopathic med school as I reapplied. I also wanted to go to Tulane med and TA gross anatomy if given the chance. The ACLP is NOT A SCAM and is a legit post-bacc with a linkage - though not guaranteed - to Tulane med. Anatomy can get pretty gnarly bc you have to give up all your free time to studying, but prior preparation prevents poor performance and leads to your eventual acceptance unless you piss off people at Tulane med and/or have a felony or serious misdemeanor. The T1 class and Tulane professors are very supportive and want to see you succeed. Be prepared to have relationship problems if you are going to make it long-distance. If given the choice among a bunch of the SMP's, I would do this program 100% of the time, every time because it helped me get into med school. Idk what to say about the other SMP's bc I have never experienced them.

My goal was to get in medical school no matter what. If that is your goal, then the ACLP is your best choice if you are confident that you can hustle like you never have before and push through the anatomy portion. Tbh the ACLP is an unspoken conditional acceptance unless you bomb anatomy, have or get a felony or misdemeanor (more than MIP on your record), disrespect or annoy someone at Tulane, or have the grossest of your character flaws come out during your interview. So it's up to you to stay vigilant during the year and you'll see the good news come March.

Also, my parents and I were super sketched out about me coming to Tulane because of the lack of info about the ACLP and not being able to pay tuition electronically. Most ACLP students felt the same way. I know that I'm an internet stranger with Sanic the Hedgehog as my prof pic (Gotta go fast), but this program is NOT A SCAM and is meant to help you get into medical school - particularly Tulane since they get to have more gross anatomy TA's for the incoming T1 class.

I'm gonna keep it real here - the anatomy portion of the ACLP is best described as the summer camp from hell, but it'll be worth it once you get the acceptance in the spring. You'll have to go through about 200+ pages of anatomy (Gray's anatomy plus the dissection manual) with 8 hours ish of lectures a week. I'd also like to mention hours of extra lab time you'll be spending every day to elucidate all the structures. You will be sleeping late from studying and waking up early to go to dissection. Even so, you might not even be caught up with the topics for the day. If you go out to party one weekend or get lazy and decide not to get ahead in the reading, be prepared to see your exam grades in the dumpster - even taking one weekend off and not getting ahead, I scored 5 points less than my other tests. Also be ready to explain to your significant other that you need to prioritize school and then see that relationship just go sour just because they don't understand that you're too stressed, tired, and under so much pressure to devote time to them. Breaking up with your bf/gf will seriously affect your studying. However, the T1 class and the fellow ACLP students are very supportive and will help you push through this difficult time. Though you're not technically part of Tulane med, you're integrated into the T1 class and I met some of my best friends from my lab room. The students and professors want to see you succeed and will help you out if needed. In the end, the ACLP's purpose is for students to prove that they can overcome past and present obstacles in order to excel in medical school. Excellent performance in gross anatomy comes from persistence and preparation.

There were 3 people who teetering at the average and were below at some point. All respect and no shade to them, but based on my observations, they scored poorly due to a mix of long-term relationship issues and/or procrastination when it came to studying. I'm ecstatic they'll be joining me next year since they're my friends, but geez, if you can save all that grief by staying ahead on material and working hard during the anatomy portion of the ACLP, then the post-anatomy part will be a lot more bearable. You don't want to waste your parent's money, your time, or the opportunity for a serious student to do the ACLP by slacking, scoring below average, and not getting interviewed by Tulane med.
Hope this guide helps. Please DM me for more info or questions, but tbh I won't know anything about your chances of admission to the ACLP or chances of med school admission from other SMP's since I didn't do them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
This is awesome! Do you know if I’d be better off in one of the other 3 programs? I didn’t apply this cycle and therefore don’t have any waitlists.

I haven't heard much activity from the other three programs, though that might just be because I barely know anyone in anatomy masters/pharmacology/etc. As far as I know, however, they do not boast as successful of a linkage rate to TUSOM as the the Anatomy Certification and Leadership Program does.

You don't want to waste your parent's money, your time, or the opportunity for a serious student to do the ACLP by slacking, scoring below average, and not getting interviewed by Tulane med.

Worth noting that this has happened in the past. Even our course director was surprised when she noted that nobody in our year scored egregiously below the average to be refused an interview.

Reactions: 1 user

Hey Dr. Dragon. Are you talking about the other Tulane Masters (MS) programs? I can tell you what I've heard from my Tulane MS friends, but idk anything about people applying to Tulane School of Medicine (SOM) from other SMP's.

The ACLP is the only Tulane program with the Tulane SOM "linkage" (I put quotation marks this bc the linkage is not official and nothing is guaranteed). Thus, if your goal is to get into an allopathic medical school this upcoming cycle, have a waitlist letter that meets the ACLP application criteria, and most importantly are 100% certain that you want to go into medicine as an MD, then the ACLP would be a smarter choice as opposed to a MS program. However, the Tulane MS programs are great based on what my friends say. It's just that not all the MS students want or are certain that they want to go to med school, and an MS program would therefore suit their goals better. Also, not all the MS students apply to professional schools the year that they're in the program.

To give some surface level insight about Tulane MS students applying to Tulane SOM, a few students from the Tulane MS programs are successful, and there are Tulane MS students who do get accepted into other professional schools of their choices. As far as I know this year, 4 out of the 18 or so students in the Tulane MS Pharm program were interviewed by Tulane SOM and all of them got accepted. Also to the best of my knowledge, 1 out of the 15 ish Tulane MS Anatomy students were interviewed by Tulane SOM, but I haven't asked the person about the results yet. Idk about the other MS programs though. *** This is all I know based on what my friends in the MS programs have told me. Idk anything about acceptances to other med schools from the MS programs ***

Also, I have a feeling that the Tulane MS students, who were accepted into Tulane SOM, got their apps complete on time (ie. AMCAS submitted before mid June and secondaries in before mid July). There are people in the Tulane MS programs with great undergrad stats, extracurriculars, and MS GPA's to get into Tulane SOM, but their apps were complete in September/November - by that time, Tulane SOM had given out almost all of it's interview invites.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
This post is super helpful! I have a question about the timeline for clarification purposes.

When you're doing your ACLP, does that mean most of you guys had already submitted a re-app as well in order to get an interview while you're in the program?

For example, if you were doing the ACLP for this upcoming year (fall 2018-spring 2019), did you have to submit an AMCAS app in Summer2018 for admission into Fall 2019?

This post is super helpful! I have a question about the timeline for clarification purposes.

When you're doing your ACLP, does that mean most of you guys had already submitted a re-app as well in order to get an interview while you're in the program?

For example, if you were doing the ACLP for this upcoming year (fall 2018-spring 2019), did you have to submit an AMCAS app in Summer2018 for admission into Fall 2019?

Yes you do. It's a lot because it's a very short time in between getting into ACLP and starting the program (especially if you're coming off the waitlist as I did) but you do need to squeeze in an entire AMCAS application and secondaries over the summer (i.e. the month of July) before you come down.

Yes you do. It's a lot because it's a very short time in between getting into ACLP and starting the program (especially if you're coming off the waitlist as I did) but you do need to squeeze in an entire AMCAS application and secondaries over the summer (i.e. the month of July) before you come down.

Thanks for the response! That does seem really tough. I am a re-applicant this cycle (but first time applying to Tulane) and I got waitlisted off Tulane after an interview. This program seems good for me if I'm not able to get off any waitlists, but being a 3rd time re-applicant to many schools doesn't sound great for me haha.

I also wanted to ask about LOR's. It seems I'm just suppose to send everything required in one go but I have my LOR's on interfolio. Would I somehow need to get physical copies of my LOR's? They are however confidential and it might be impossible with a few of my letter writers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response! That does seem really tough. I am a re-applicant this cycle (but first time applying to Tulane) and I got waitlisted off Tulane after an interview. This program seems good for me if I'm not able to get off any waitlists, but being a 3rd time re-applicant to many schools doesn't sound great for me haha.

I also wanted to ask about LOR's. It seems I'm just suppose to send everything required in one go but I have my LOR's on interfolio. Would I somehow need to get physical copies of my LOR's? They are however confidential and it might be impossible with a few of my letter writers.

Definitely not alone in that department; at the end of the day, lots of people have different routes into med school.

My school didn't have Interfolio, so I'm not sure about that, but I was able to get my school's pre-health committee to directly forward my composite letter to ACLP. Other than that I just e-mailed Tulane all of the relevant things for my application, mailed in my money order, and waited for my school to send my letter.

Definitely not alone in that department; at the end of the day, lots of people have different routes into med school.

My school didn't have Interfolio, so I'm not sure about that, but I was able to get my school's pre-health committee to directly forward my composite letter to ACLP. Other than that I just e-mailed Tulane all of the relevant things for my application, mailed in my money order, and waited for my school to send my letter.

Thanks a lot for your responses! I'll probably call them sometime this week clarify the LORs!

Hey Shapley.

I sent my LOR's through Interfolio last year and came up with some instructions by pretending to send them again just a few moments ago. Though I didn't actually send them today, I'm pretty sure this will work bc what I did on Interfolio rn feels similar to how I sent them last year.

1. Login
2. Go to Deliveries on the right sided menu
3. Click New Delivery in the top left hand corner
4. Choose Email
5. Fill in "Tulane Structural and Cell Biology Department" for the Recipient institution name, the email from the ACLP website for the Recipient email address (I would give it here but I can't post any links yet per SDN), and click Save & Review Delivery
6. Click Add Materials and choose the three letters that you have on Interfolio
7. Click Review Delivery
8. Click Submit Delivery

Also, I sent all my app material in one email except for the LOR's - bc they came from Interfolio - and there were no problems. Lmk if you have any more questions.

Reactions: 3 users
The Tulane Masters of Science in Anatomy is the only one of the Tulane master's programs which allow masters students to attend classes and take the full medical school dissection lab with medical students. The master's of anatomy is a 32-hour program, and if you do well, LSU will substitute your new graduate school grades for your grades in undergrad. The requirements for a good MCAT, however, are unchanged. Currently, 3 of this year's students have been accepted to medical school and likely a 4th student will be accepted this year.

The Tulane Masters of Science in Anatomy is the only one of the Tulane master's programs which allow masters students to attend classes and take the full medical school dissection lab with medical students. The master's of anatomy is a 32-hour program, and if you do well, LSU will substitute your new graduate school grades for your grades in undergrad. The requirements for a good MCAT, however, are unchanged. Currently, 3 of this year's students have been accepted to medical school and likely a 4th student will be accepted this year.

This is interesting. Is there anywhere we could read more about this?

Kind of a random point, but worth noting I guess. The MS Anatomy students are a little more separated than the ACLP/medical students are. Though you do get to use the SCB department breakroom and have your own lounge on the floor, all of the masters students are placed in their own three groups for dissection. don't ask me why idk

Did you submit your re-application before hearing back from ACLP?

Did you submit your re-application before hearing back from ACLP?

No, since the rest of the SMP programs that I was looking at had a 2-year track. I took—and would recommend taking—ACLP over the rest, though, so when I got in to Tulane, I threw that application together real quick. I also only applied to maybe four other schools than Tulane ,compared to the 20something that I had applied to my first cycle. I finished all of my secondaries before I came down to New Orleans, though some people waited a month or so to send in their Tulane secondaries so they could write something a little more personal about the school after having been down there for a bit (the adcom probably doesn't look at you until you finish anatomy, and you'll all interview together at the end of Histology anyway, so I don't think sending a secondary in July vs. September will really hurt you).

Is the $16K tuition for the entire program or per semester?

Do you know if this is just the case for Anatomy or does LSU favor other Masters programs as well?

Do you know if this is just the case for Anatomy or does LSU favor other Masters programs as well?
The 32-Hour Policy
As part of the medical school application process, an applicant may be encouraged or required to take additional coursework after completion of his/her undergraduate studies. The reasons for additional coursework may include a non-competitive undergraduate grade point average (GPA), a need for continued expansion of an applicant's basic science knowledge base, or an excessive time lapse between previous science coursework and medical school application. For those applicants who may need significant improvement in their science GPA, the LSU-New Orleans Medical School Admissions Committee has what is commonly referred to as the 32-Hour Policy.

The 32-Hour Policy was a policy adopted by the LSU-New Orleans Admissions Committee many years ago. This policy allows for an applicant to obtain 32 or more post-baccalaureate hours of coursework in biology, chemistry, physics or mathematics. The admissions committee would then consider the GPA for those 32 or more hours to be that applicant’s GPA for the medical school application process. This policy allows for those applicants to distance themselves from a weaker undergraduate GPA which may otherwise hinder them from gaining acceptance into our medical school.

Post-baccalaureate studies in a degree program (Master’s, Ph.D, etc.) in biology, chemistry, physics or mathematics would satisfy the 32 Hour Policy “if” such programs allowed the applicant to attain the required 32 hours of coursework.

The 32-Hour Policy
As part of the medical school application process, an applicant may be encouraged or required to take additional coursework after completion of his/her undergraduate studies. The reasons for additional coursework may include a non-competitive undergraduate grade point average (GPA), a need for continued expansion of an applicant's basic science knowledge base, or an excessive time lapse between previous science coursework and medical school application. For those applicants who may need significant improvement in their science GPA, the LSU-New Orleans Medical School Admissions Committee has what is commonly referred to as the 32-Hour Policy.

The 32-Hour Policy was a policy adopted by the LSU-New Orleans Admissions Committee many years ago. This policy allows for an applicant to obtain 32 or more post-baccalaureate hours of coursework in biology, chemistry, physics or mathematics. The admissions committee would then consider the GPA for those 32 or more hours to be that applicant’s GPA for the medical school application process. This policy allows for those applicants to distance themselves from a weaker undergraduate GPA which may otherwise hinder them from gaining acceptance into our medical school.

Post-baccalaureate studies in a degree program (Master’s, Ph.D, etc.) in biology, chemistry, physics or mathematics would satisfy the 32 Hour Policy “if” such programs allowed the applicant to attain the required 32 hours of coursework.

Is this for all applicants or just in-state?

Typed on my iPhone

You probably want to look at the LSU website for more details.

This program looks amazing! I will be submitting my application soon as I wrap up everything. I am so excited to apply and potentially get in! Hope the best for everyone and best of luck. Also congratulations to graduates of the program y'all are awesome for sticking around and answering questions.

Glad to hear!! and thanks lol @Perineal_buddy522 and I monitor this thread pretty regularly, as the department that sponsors ACLP really wants to drum up hype for this program. I can't believe our 2017-2018 class had one of the lowest application numbers, the multiple successes of this program's alumni really cannot be overlooked.

Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

Submitted my application! Really excited and hopeful to get accepted into this amazing program! Good luck to everyone applying hoping I can call y'all classmates in August.

Are unofficial transcripts ok to send? It doesn't specify on the website. I have an official from my undergrad and an unofficial from a school I took one class at.

Are unofficial transcripts ok to send? It doesn't specify on the website. I have an official from my undergrad and an unofficial from a school I took one class at.

If it's just one class at a different school I think you're fine for the department's purposes; but keep in mind if you do get accepted to ACLP, you're gonna have to apply via AMCAS to Tulane SOM this cycle anyway so you should probably figure out how to get an official one from that school as soon as possible.

Ok perfect. I know how to get an official one, I was just hoping I could save $10 before requesting one later on for AMCAS. Thanks!

Hey @Austinerino, I just found out about this program today. I am currently on a couple of MD waitlists but have 1 acceptance to a solid DO school. Do you think doing this program is worth it instead of going DO or is it not worth the gamble? What would you do in this scenario?

Hey @Austinerino, I just found out about this program today. I am currently on a couple of MD waitlists but have 1 acceptance to a solid DO school. Do you think doing this program is worth it instead of going DO or is it not worth the gamble? What would you do in this scenario?

lol I think literally everyone on this forum would ask if you weren't intending on going to DO school, why did you apply to them? You even called it a "solid" school, so I don't get why you'd want to sacrifice your acceptance for a 1-year program where you might not even get the interview, and essentially forfeit two years off of your career track when you could've just matriculated in 2018.

At the end of the day, getting into ACLP is not an automatic acceptance to Tulane SOM. I wouldn't play with those odds.

lol I think literally everyone on this forum would ask if you weren't intending on going to DO school, why did you apply to them? You even called it a "solid" school, so I don't get why you'd want to sacrifice your acceptance for a 1-year program where you might not even get the interview, and essentially forfeit two years off of your career track when you could've just matriculated in 2018.

At the end of the day, getting into ACLP is not an automatic acceptance to Tulane SOM. I wouldn't play with those odds.
I don’t mind at all going to my school but the fact that Tulane is so close to home it makes the program so tempting lol

I don’t mind at all going to my school but the fact that Tulane is so close to home it makes the program so tempting lol
Hi FlowerBoi, I also completed ACLP this year and will be a T1/TA this fall. There are people from our program this year that rejected DO acceptance offers in favor of ACLP. While the success rate of this program is high, I’d still suggest taking advantage of the offer to go to the DO school. There’s too much room for error, and I’m sure if you had to re-apply to any DO schools following a decision to do ACLP it wouldn’t look good for you. While I see why it can be tempting, I agree with Austerino that you’re better off taking your DO acceptance.

Hi all, joining the party with my very last-minute MD waitlist! I applied to TUSOM this past cycle but didn't get an II. Any sense of how that might affect my ACLP application? I'd like to think my lack of II from TUSOM was because I applied on the late side (end of August)...

Hi all, joining the party with my very last-minute MD waitlist! I applied to TUSOM this past cycle but didn't get an II. Any sense of how that might affect my ACLP application? I'd like to think my lack of II from TUSOM was because I applied on the late side (end of August)...

That was probably a big factor tbh. They really really like their early applicants.

not to name or any percentages but I think a lot of the people who applied to ACLP didn't get their waitlist from TUSOM?

Application season is still open so you're good! And not to name or any percentages but I think a lot of the people who applied to ACLP didn't get their waitlist from TUSOM?
Huh? Are you talking about medical school application season or the ACLP application season? The ACLP deadline was yesterday.