Tufts MBS 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
for me it was a few things

• Tufts is a renowned school--it'll definitely carry some weight when applying to professional school afterwards
  • you take classes with the med students so you know the classes aren't dumbed down. also this will give you a great idea of what med school will actually be like. some progams hold masters classes separately
  • there is a good acceptance rate for med school afterwards--even to tufts
  • boston is great

Hey @doctorlyfe from what I can tell based on the info on the MBS webpage, the courses are "identical to, or based upon, the current TUSM courses" i.e. you do not take courses with the med students.

Hey guys. Congrats on getting into this program. I'm a former program graduate who just finished the first year of med school (at another US MD school). So take my admittedly biased support for this program with a grain of salt.

1) MBS average is usually (but not always) lower than the med average. Maybe a little disheartening but think of it this way. They did get into medical school so they should have the grade/test taking abilities to back them up.

2) As are NOT given even in "easy" courses, but the curves/grading scales are generous. 89 I think is enough for a full A in most classes. If you came from a rigorous undergrad that used the normal grading scale, then I think you'll happy with this.

3) During my year. Grades were generally high with the MBS average being between 80-90. Yes, the class average was an A for some classes but that was rare. Harder classes like anatomy and biochemistry was around B+.

Good luck to ya'll. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions during the summer as I'm done with exams.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @doctorlyfe from what I can tell based on the info on the MBS webpage, the courses are "identical to, or based upon, the current TUSM courses" i.e. you do not take courses with the med students.

This is a very astute observation! You're correct. You're never in the room with the med students but the professors tell you (with a wink and nod) that you can attend their lectures if you want. The "identical" lectures are either broadcasted to your class during normal times or the same lecturer will give the same lecture to your class in person. In either case, you take the exact same exam as the medical students.

The "based upon" lectures are mainly the pathology, anatomy and physiology courses in the spring, which are taught by the medical school professors. These could NOT be identical to the medical curriculum for the simple fact that all of you (and me) would fail, lol.

From the FAQs page of the program website, it mentions something about thesis options and stuff. So is it possible to complete the program in one year with the thesis and apply to medical school in that same year? how many students have done this? Do most students take the program over 2 years while finishing up the thesis in the second year?

How did you submit your unofficial transcript

do you know if people take one or two years to complete? and can you work in your second year?

May I ask how you guys get your unofficial transcript? My school does not give unofficial transcript. Do you think it is fine for me to use the degree check page where it lists all classes and grades I have taken? Or do I have to make a screenshot of all the quarter grades?

May I ask how you guys get your unofficial transcript? My school does not give unofficial transcript. Do you think it is fine for me to use the degree check page where it lists all classes and grades I have taken? Or do I have to make a screenshot of all the quarter grades?

yea tthts wha I'm doing..im just going to put my degree works on a doc and send it to them. if we get in, then they want officia. correct me if I'm wrong

Are you sure about that? Call the registrar and find out..it seems odd that you can't get a copy of your unofficial transcript.

will a masters program really help for med schools?

From the FAQs page of the program website, it mentions something about thesis options and stuff. So is it possible to complete the program in one year with the thesis and apply to medical school in that same year? how many students have done this? Do most students take the program over 2 years while finishing up the thesis in the second year?

Yes, it's possible. You just need to finish your thesis before matriculating at your medical school if you get into one. The literature thesis is doable in a week if you rush it. My thesis advisor and reader returned it to me in under 2 days each. I applied after the program though and worked the second year while I applied. This is what the vast majority of people did.

The consensus seems to be that if you can get into medical school the same year as the SMP program, you might not have needed the program in the first place since you'll be very, VERY late when they receive your spring grades.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it's possible. You just need to finish your thesis before matriculating at your medical school if you get into one. The literature thesis is doable in a week if you rush it. My thesis advisor and reader returned it to me in under 2 days each. I applied after the program though and worked the second year while I applied. This is what the vast majority of people did.

The consensus seems to be that if you can get into medical school the same year as the SMP program, you might not have needed the program in the first place since you'll be very, VERY late when they receive your spring grades.

What kind of job? How was it paying the loans

yea tthts wha I'm doing..im just going to put my degree works on a doc and send it to them. if we get in, then they want officia. correct me if I'm wrong

I would call in and double check but for other programs that have accepted unofficial transcripts, that's worked fine for me. I just ran my online academic transcript, saved to pdf, and uploaded. The only thing to make sure is that your institution is listed on the "degree works" document or whatever you use to generate a grade report.

I got waitlisted. I can't say I'm disappointed because I know how competitive this program is. Does anybody know how much the waitlist moves?

Am I reading the curriculum right? It's only like 10 credits?

What kind of job? How was it paying the loans

I worked in industry several years before pursuing medicine/this program so I paid it off by emptying my savings and also had family help. I would not expect to pay it off on your own especially since Boston is expensive. My suggestion is to treat it as an investment like an extension of your 4 years of medical school. Commit to it fully or not at all.

10 Credit is based on their system where 1 credit is worth like 3 or 4 "normal" credits.

I got waitlisted. I can't say I'm disappointed because I know how competitive this program is. Does anybody know how much the waitlist moves?
Don't throw in the towel yet. I got waitlisted last year, and got a phone call ~10 days before orientation. Just finished with a 4.0 (one of 5 to do so as I hear)

Reactions: 1 users

I have an application out there. If I get accepted I will be declining so there's hope for you :) I should be hearing back real soon. It's been about 6 weeks since I've been completed.

Don't throw in the towel yet. I got waitlisted last year, and got a phone call ~10 days before orientation. Just finished with a 4.0 (one of 5 to do so as I hear)
How did you manage to find a place to live, pack, and move within such a short span of time?!

I have an application out there. If I get accepted I will be declining so there's hope for you :) I should be hearing back real soon. It's been about 6 weeks since I've been completed.
Thank you very much. :happy: What's your first choice?

Luckily had family friends in the area
I wish I had that option, although I do have two friends in Boston who might let me stay with them for a couple of days. However, I'm really hoping that they'll let the people in the waitlist know their status way before August.

Does anyone that attended last year know what the class size was? Is it around 100? Thanks

I am on the waitlist for this SMP. If I am accepted, what would I have to do to get a loan? How does the process work? I haven't filled out a FAFSA yet, should I go ahead and do that now in case I am accepted in June/July? Or, would you recommend waiting until I am accepted to fill out a FAFSA (until say... July)? It says the federal deadline to file a FAFSA is june 30th for this year. Does this mean that I will not be eligible to get a loan for this $50k program if I don't fill it out before that? If anyone knows the answers to these questions, please share your thoughts/responses...

They told me to fill out the FAFSA as soon as possible even before I was accepted because it takes a while for it to be reviewed and you may end up owing money to Tufts before your fin aid is ready. I'm not sure about loan eligibility though...

Also, has anyone accepted received an email about housing? Their website says we're supposed to get a special list of what's available off campus once we pay our deposit but I never got one :(

Has anyone been accepted to this program with an MCAT below 30?

They told me to fill out the FAFSA as soon as possible even before I was accepted because it takes a while for it to be reviewed and you may end up owing money to Tufts before your fin aid is ready. I'm not sure about loan eligibility though...

Also, has anyone accepted received an email about housing? Their website says we're supposed to get a special list of what's available off campus once we pay our deposit but I never got one :(

About financial aid, I've been following this list of stuff to complete: http://publichealth.tufts.edu/Admissions/Financing-Your-Education/Types-of-Financial-Aid

And housing, I haven't gotten an email either and I paid the deposit on 5/29. The only email I keep getting is about the Immunization Packet.

Who has been accepted for pre dental and what were your stats? Thanks

It's so quiet *crickets* anyone have any acceptances or waitlist activity to report? I'm still waiting..
Still on the waitlist. I doubt anyone on the waitlist will hear anything until July at the earliest.

Well I just took my gre. Going to apply within the next 24 hours. I know I'm super late but hopefully it'll pull through.

My application was complete on June 6th--haven't heard anything. GPA: 3.5, MCAT: 25--took new one last week, lots of post-grad research & employment in clinical setting. Fingers crossed....:nailbiting:

My application was complete on June 6th--haven't heard anything. GPA: 3.5, MCAT: 25--took new one last week, lots of post-grad research & employment in clinical setting. Fingers crossed....:nailbiting:
how long did you study for the new one

how long did you study for the new one

I started studying at the end of February about 1-2 hrs/day on the weekdays and all weekends. I'm just maintaining everything now by doing a ton of practice in case I have to retest, which I really hope not, but it's not horrible. The lunch break mid-exam exam does help a little to prevent fatigue.

I've been complete since June 5 and haven't heard anything. How did they notify you?

I'm sorry to hear that. How did they let you know- email or just by the online portal?
Best of luck to you.

Just by email--it links you to the portal to login and see the status update on your application.

So, does this program favor low GPA and high MCAT/GRE vs. High GPA and low MCAT/GRE? Does anyone know approximately what the lowest GPA and MCAT or GRE applicants have been accepted with? How much weight do you think the PS and Rec.letters have?

Just withdrew my application. Good luck to all of you on the waitlist!

Withdrew my acceptance, good luck all!

If you don't mind me asking what were your stats to get accepted? I have a ~3.6 cGPA and ~3.69 sGPA and a 25/26 MCAT (converting new test to old) and a 1170 GRE. Just anxious to see if I got a shot for this program...or whether to just focus my efforts on the MCAT so I can get in. Much appreciated!

Hey I think someone said earlier in the thread that they were waitlisted with a 29 MCAT. Your GPA is great so I don't know if you need a masters. Maybe just study to retake the MCAT to get it closer to 30 then you should have a great shot. Best of luck!

Thanks...This masters just seems so appealing. You can extend it to 2 years and get an MPH or an MBA. So if you don't get into med school/dental this year, you can do something the year after.

If you don't mind me asking what were your stats to get accepted? I have a ~3.6 cGPA and ~3.69 sGPA and a 25/26 MCAT (converting new test to old) and a 1170 GRE. Just anxious to see if I got a shot for this program...or whether to just focus my efforts on the MCAT so I can get in. Much appreciated!

I had a 3.5 GPA, 29 MCAT (10P/9V/10B), and 324 GRE (161V/163Q) at the time of my application. I think my research experience helped since they are research-heavy. Hope this helps!

appilied to three masters and didn't get into any of them! woooooot! I'm almost 23 and going to apply to med school next year. i have a horrible gpa and mcat . gahhh