Tufts MBS 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was just accepted!! I submitted my app on March 18 and was marked complete on March 19. I will almost certainly be matriculating, but first I have to figure out how to pay for it! Looking forward to meeting some of you in the fall.

Reactions: 4 users
Submitted my application today, but I still need my letters of recommendation to be sent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my acceptance today. Now I'm really confused because I've been set on going to BU MAMS. Idk which program I like better T_T

Reactions: 1 user
Got my acceptance today. Now I'm really confused because I've been set on going to BU MAMS. Idk which program I like better T_T
would you mind sharing stats and when you submit your application?

Congrats! BU MAMS and Tufts are both great programs from what I hear. You should just choose the one that's better for you. I don't think you can make a wrong choice and if you think BU is a better fit for you or you'll do better and be happier there then congratulations that's what you should go with. :)

would you mind sharing stats and when you submit your application?

Sure, it's a little embarrassing but...

cGPA: 3.11
sGPA: 2.89
MCAT: 31
Ummm... volunteered in hospitals throughout high school and a year in college
Shadowed in the OR and shadowed a separate surgeon over a couple different breaks
Studied abroad, researched at a university abroad (1 year) - idk I think this made me unique maybe
Been a research intern at Memorial Sloan Kettering for the past year- working on 2 projects etc.

No upward or downward trend, I was pretty consistently mediocre, I'm sure what got me in quickly was my personal statement explaining the situation I was going through in undergrad and stuff.

Congrats! BU MAMS and Tufts are both great programs from what I hear. You should just choose the one that's better for you. I don't think you can make a wrong choice and if you think BU is a better fit for you or you'll do better and be happier there then congratulations that's what you should go with. :)

Thanks! It's great to hear that :) I'll be visiting both campuses next week to decide which is a better fit~

Sure, it's a little embarrassing but...

cGPA: 3.11
sGPA: 2.89
MCAT: 31
Ummm... volunteered in hospitals throughout high school and a year in college
Shadowed in the OR and shadowed a separate surgeon over a couple different breaks
Studied abroad, researched at a university abroad (1 year) - idk I think this made me unique maybe
Been a research intern at Memorial Sloan Kettering for the past year- working on 2 projects etc.

No upward or downward trend, I was pretty consistently mediocre, I'm sure what got me in quickly was my personal statement explaining the situation I was going through in undergrad and stuff.

Thanks! It's great to hear that :) I'll be visiting both campuses next week to decide which is a better fit~

Thanks! Not embarrassing. I'm in the same gpa range! hoping to hear back soon!

Just got an email this morning saying my application was marked complete. I honestly can't wait to hear back. I really want to go here. For those of you accepted what were your stats?

Has anyone recently heard back from Tufts? I'm waiting on their decision before I accept/decline BU MAMS =/

I was accepted today (4/24), completed my application 4/7.

3.38 cGPA / 3.18 sGPA / 32 MCAT
Strong research, volunteering, and shadowing

I've also been accepted to BU MAMS and interviewed for UPenn SSP.

Currently debating whether to attend an SMP or a post-baccalaureate program, as it looks like I'll be graduating with 3.47 cGPA and 3.24 sGPA (gotta love that upward trend). Hard to tell at this point which will be more beneficial for my reapplication.

Does anyone know what the average gpa of the mbs graduates from tufts? Wondering how hard it is to do well in the program. Do most students get A in their exams?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard from a current student that the average of the MBS students is consistently below the average of the medical students. Was told that the medical students do well but it depends on the class. Based on this information, most the average of the MBS students is not straight As.

I have heard from a current student that the average of the MBS students is consistently below the average of the medical students. Was told that the medical students do well but it depends on the class. Based on this information, most the average of the MBS students is not straight As.

If that's the case, is this program a good choice then? I mean it's got a great reputation, but if it's hard to pull out A's isn't that going to hurt your chances when applying to medical/dental school? Don't get me wrong, I don't want to go to an easy program, and I definitely want to work for my grade, but if it's hard to get A's then how will this help when most of us applying need stronger academic credentials?

What is the average of Tufts medical students then? Is it A, that means average of MBS is about A-? Or is the average of Tufts medical students A-, which means average of MBS student will be like B+?

What is the average of Tufts medical students then? Is it A, that means average of MBS is about A-? Or is the average of Tufts medical students A-, which means average of MBS student will be like B+?

I don't think anybody has these statistics....the best bet is to talk to somebody currently in the program. There's always going to be students who do excellent and terrible, but it seems like the general consensus is that this is a tough program.

Hi there! Does anyone know of any apartment buildings/complexes where a lot of students live? I paid my deposit and am trying to line up some showings for when I head to Boston. If anyone knows of anything, please do share!

Sorry this isn't related but if you don't mind sharing what were you stats? I applied and am curious if I stand a chance.

@buffdentist Does this SMP accept predental students? I wanted to apply to SMPs as a predental but will they discriminate against me because I'm not premed?

I can't say with confidence if they prefer pre-meds or pre-dents, but they do accept DAT scores and thus they do accept pre-dental students. I say go ahead and apply if the program appeals to you and just write in your statement why you want to go there. It's just an application fee. Worse they can say is no.

For those of you that were accepted- how long did it take to receive your acceptance from the time your application was under review? Was there an interview?

For those of you that were accepted- how long did it take to receive your acceptance from the time your application was under review? Was there an interview?
Mine took exactly 7 weeks from my complete email (3/6) to decision (4/26). I submitted on 3/2/2015. And there is no interview

I was just accepted today! Now I have to make the Tufts vs. BU decision. =/

Reactions: 1 users
I was just accepted today! Now I have to make the Tufts vs. BU decision. =/
I would go with the medical school you like more. I would assume that going to that school's MBS program would help you with admissions at the respective medical school.

@PhoenixAZ @buffdentist
Ok, talked to my Tufts med friend and asked specifics about grades of the med students vs SMP. She said the med student test averages are around a B and the SMP test averages are around a B-. The final gradesmay be curved a bit depending on the class but those specifics depend on the class. If she had to guess she says the curve could bump the B- average to a B. It's not a huge curve. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I was marked complete April 29th - should have applied earlier..oh well. Any one else applying to GTown/BU? The MBS website does not say much about the MCAT tutorial does anyone know if we can take the tutorial in the Spring to get ready for the summer MCAT?

Hi! Congratulations to everyone accepted! I had a question I don't know if anyone can help me out with. I'm going to be applying to medical school this summer, and I wasn't sure how the program was for people applying while doing the MBS. I read somewhere that only about 20 people apply during the program, but does anyone know if the support is good for same-year applicants? I really really like Tufts but I just want to make sure it's the right fit! Thanks!

My application is finally complete here (there was a long delay with my letters of recommendations). How long does it usually take to receive a response?

hey guys, couple of quick questions. would very much appreciate your help!

1) LOR - can i send them via interfolio? if so by email or to an address?
2) transcripts - it says to upload them to the app. does that mean the unofficial transcripts i can print from my school online? do i still have to send official transcripts?

thanks!

hey guys, couple of quick questions. would very much appreciate your help!

1) LOR - can i send them via interfolio? if so by email or to an address?
2) transcripts - it says to upload them to the app. does that mean the unofficial transcripts i can print from my school online? do i still have to send official transcripts?

thanks!

I can answer #2: Yes you can upload unofficial copies but will need to provide official copies once you are accepted into the program.

From http://publichealth.tufts.edu/Admissions/MS-in-Biomedical-Sciences

"Copies of ALL undergraduate and graduate study, unofficial or official (e.g., EMT courses, study abroad, summer courses, post-bacc) are required in order to review an application. You may prefer to have your official transcripts sent from your academic institution via US mail. In this case, please upload a document with a note that indicates the institution(s) from which we should expect official transcripts.

The processing and review of your application may take place in a timelier manner if scanned copies are appended. If you upload unofficial transcripts, you do not need to send official transcripts until you matriculate. "

awesome thanks for the help guys! one last one.. did you send the official mcat report? if so how did you do it. i went to THx but couldn't search Tufts program

edit - figured it out, will email the verificaiton number!

Last edited:
Anyone who got accepted and is a pre dental student? i AM very hesitant to apply

I applied but haven't been accepted yet, but probably won't accept the seat if given a chance because the program is ridiculously expensive.

Accepted! 3.1 gpa and 19 AA DAT score.

Reactions: 2 users
is it not comparable to similar programs? i know earlier someone in this thread said it was 35K more than other programs but tuition is ~45. the 67K includes room and board. i have a hard time believing other programs are ~10K

Tuition at Rutgers is like 27k and tuition at Tufts is 42k. Living costs in Boston are also ridonculous. I would love to go to Tufts but I just don't think it's worth it to take out close to 70k in loans just to attend this program when I could attend another SMP for $30k less.

I was officially under review on 4/28/2015

Thanks I got an email on 04/29 that said - "We have updated your application status to complete." I'm hoping I will get a decision soon.

@OhSNAP25 I was marked complete 4/15. I'm still waiting for a response, 3.4c 3.0s and 32 MCAT. Just sent my updated transcript with this semester's grades but you should be prepared to wait, apparently they take longer with some than others. Best of luck!

The adcom's ears must have been burning, just got my acceptance. It looks like a 4-5 week turnaround

Reactions: 1 users
for those of you that are definitely attending this program- what has made you pick this school/program? I am deciding between this program and another one year masters program and I am having a hard time making a decision! Any feedback would be appreciated.