Tufts MBS 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TR08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I know that this may be a bit early, but I'm researching MBS programs for the Fall of 2015 and would love to collaborate with you all on learning more about Tufts' program and navigating through the application process. Hope to talk to you all soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like a great program, I am also interested! I'm having some trouble finding the tuition estimates though, does anyone know where they can be found?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be applying this cycle as well!

Hey guys, I'm a 2nd year MBS student. Feel free to ask any questions. I completed the coursework last year (2013-2014) and am currently working on my thesis.

Hey guys, I'm a 2nd year MBS student. Feel free to ask any questions. I completed the coursework last year (2013-2014) and am currently working on my thesis.

Hi there! Has anyone submitted their GRE's scores to the program? I am prepping for the new MCAT in April. my concern is that by the time those new the scores are released, (scheduled for Jun 16th) there will be no more spots for this class. I assume there will be many applicants applying to this program. Will the program accept applicants who are taking the new exam after Jun 16th? Also, how is the review process like? Do they look at the entire application process holistically?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I just submitted my application tonight! I am excited to hear back, I really love this program and have been debating applying for the past few years. Question to anyone who knows more about the program- I'm pretty reliant on my job, would it be possible to continuing working while doing this program? Obviously with modified hours, but what time do classes get out typically every day?

Thanks!

HI Pokemon master,
Were there any students applying to dental school in your cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I am applying to this program but I live out of state and would like to know how housing is on campus and off campus ? any ideas? thanks!

Submitted my app on 3/2/2015 and everything was marked as received today. So that means I'm complete, right? And now the waiting begins :D

Reactions: 1 user
I was marked complete on 2/21 but noticed this morning that I never sent in transcripts from summer classes I took years ago at a local college (marked as T's on my undergraduate transcript.) I called and let them know, now I'm scared I'll be pulled out of line and the fastest I can get the transcripts in 10 business days agh! This is my top choice! I'm so nervous

Decisions are supposed to be coming out this week!

Accepted today! I got an email that said a decision had been made and logged into the portal to see the update.

3.4 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 32 MCAT

Reactions: 3 users
I was also accepted today! still trying to decide if I will accept or not--ultimate goal is medical school so trying to get more information on acceptance rates after the program. will most likely accept though! Should we make a Facebook page like in the past for accepted students?

I was wondering when you submitted your application. I still haven't heard back from Tufts and I don't want to freak out

My application was complete in Feb and I got waitlisted yesterday.

My application was complete in Feb and I got waitlisted yesterday.
Do you mind sharing your stats?

My application was complete in the beginning of March. I got accepted two days ago (the response was surprisingly fast). Senior undergrad at a small state school, 3.97 cGPA/3.95 sGPA/30 MCAT, lacking in clinical experience, decent ECs, ~1.5 yrs research experience.

Had an interview at NYMC today but was told that the med school has no preference for their BMS students over any other applicant (no guaranteed application review or interview, etc., just from being in the program. Even if you do really well in the program, they won't look at you unless you have appropriate MCAT scores for the med school cutoffs etc., in other words, no linkage at all).

From what I understand, Tufts at least guarantees interviews for the top 25% (?) of the class... but I imagine they still want 32+ MCAT scores. Also, Tufts is more reputable as an SMP so would be better for applying to other schools. I also applied to Temple ACMS, which is my first choice, but they're notoriously slow with responses and I'm anxious because Tufts wants an answer before Temple gets back to me. Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm so confused on what to do :/.
With your 3.97 cGPA/3.95 sGPA, why would you even consider any SMPs? It sounds like you need more clinical experience and not a SMP. How would the SMP benefit you? I don't think you should do the SMP route at all because SMPs are for people whose academic record is the only thing holding them back and your GPAs are as high as they come.

If I were you, I would save 50k, get a clinical job, and maybe retake the MCAT if you realllly are set on improving some numbers (but a 30 should still be fine I think).

Last edited:
It's up to you but my understanding from my friends in SMPs is that students who pursue SMPs don't have time to do ECs really because they're studying all the time, which is why I suggested not doing a SMP if what you're lacking in is EC related. You can always take courses part time through something like HES. Talk to your premed advisor, I know from talking to mine that she would balk at the idea of me doing a SMP if I was in your position.

I'm so glad I didn't offend you! I was afraid I had. I think your numbers are great, like I said the only thing you could potentially "improve" numbers-wise would be your MCAT. Other than that, it'd be nice for you to have a clinical activity but in general I think you look good.

Like I said, I wouldn't consider an SMP in your position and what I was told by my advisor is that SMPs are big risk with potential for big reward if you have low grades like I do. A friend of mine with a 3.7/3.8 GPA wanted to do a SMP and was told that he should absolutely not risk it because his grades already show he is well enough prepared for medical school and in that sense the SMP wouldn't be adding as much to his application as getting more ECs or work experience would.

Anyway, still up to you and if I get in we might be classmates. Lol.

Last edited:
Just got accepted. When do we have to submit our decision to hold a seat? Also, what have people heard about interviews at Tufts med school after completion of the program - top 50%, top 25%??

I just created a Facebook group for Tufts MBS 2015-2016 accepted students. Let's share info we've learned about program, thoughts on med school afterwards, and housing!

Hi! I just finished my application early last week and am waiting to hear back. Whew, this rolling admissions application process - every time I check my email, part of me expects there to be a decision letter waiting!

Does anyone know how long the waiting process tends to be? And I was also just accepted to Case Western and BU for similar programs - is anyone considering going there as well? Good luck to all of you!!

Hi! I just finished my application early last week and am waiting to hear back. Whew, this rolling admissions application process - every time I check my email, part of me expects there to be a decision letter waiting!

Does anyone know how long the waiting process tends to be? And I was also just accepted to Case Western and BU for similar programs - is anyone considering going there as well? Good luck to all of you!!

Congrats! It took Tufts a little while when I applied back in October, about 4-5 months. If you just applied, doesn't necessarily mean you'll also have to wait that time. Assuming you do get into Tufts, would you go to BU or Tufts? I'm choosing between them at the moment.

Congrats! It took Tufts a little while when I applied back in October, about 4-5 months. If you just applied, doesn't necessarily mean you'll also have to wait that time. Assuming you do get into Tufts, would you go to BU or Tufts? I'm choosing between them at the moment.

Congrats to you too!! I was thinking about that as well. I am currently leaning towards Tufts at the moment, mainly because of the linkage and the smaller class sizes. BU sounds great too, these just seem like major pros to me. What are you leaning towards? They both seem like very established programs, so to some extent, I think we can't go wrong!

I just got my acceptance!! For those of you who didn't take your MCATs and submitted just GRE scores, there is hope!

I just got my acceptance!! For those of you who didn't take your MCATs and submitted just GRE scores, there is hope!
If you don't mind answering, what was your GRE score? Congratulations! :)

Hi guys, I was wait listed yesterday. Does anyone know if there is historically any movement on the wait list? Any help is appreciated. Thanks! Congrats to everyone who was accepted

has anyone applied/been accepted using their DAT scores? I would really love to hear some feedback on this.

Congrats to you too!! I was thinking about that as well. I am currently leaning towards Tufts at the moment, mainly because of the linkage and the smaller class sizes. BU sounds great too, these just seem like major pros to me. What are you leaning towards? They both seem like very established programs, so to some extent, I think we can't go wrong!
I totally agree. I'm also leaning more towards Tufts. I have heard good things about BU MAMS, namely, the track record of the program and the support provided by Dr. Offner. But, she is accessible by email and if you have any questions about BU or other similar programs she'd be most happy to answer. Acceptance rates to ANY medical school seem comparable at EITHER school. So that's good news.

After speaking with faculty and an admissions counselor at both BU and Tufts, I get the feeling that Tufts is a more cohesive group. The program seems more invested in its students, which supports the fact that 70% of its students are provided interviews to Tufts medical school (of which half are ultimately accepted). Like you said, the class size is smaller, by ~80 students. This may or may not make it more competitive to get accepted though. If you work hard and get GPA>3.5 in the program, I feel like your chances for acceptance to med school will be fine.

I paid my deposit today. I've wanted to go to Tufts since I was in high school, and I've always wanted to live in Boston, so it was a no-brainer for me.

Reactions: 1 users
After speaking with faculty and an admissions counselor at both BU and Tufts, I get the feeling that Tufts is a more cohesive group. The program seems more invested in its students, which supports the fact that 70% of its students are provided interviews to Tufts medical school (of which half are ultimately accepted).

Congrats on the acceptance!

Where are you getting the 70% offered interviews, half are ultimately accepted information from? Is that number based on people who take on a gap year and wait to apply after the 1st year is done?

Does this program have a linkage? What is the class size?

I totally agree. I'm also leaning more towards Tufts. I have heard good things about BU MAMS, namely, the track record of the program and the support provided by Dr. Offner. But, she is accessible by email and if you have any questions about BU or other similar programs she'd be most happy to answer. Acceptance rates to ANY medical school seem comparable at EITHER school. So that's good news.

After speaking with faculty and an admissions counselor at both BU and Tufts, I get the feeling that Tufts is a more cohesive group. The program seems more invested in its students, which supports the fact that 70% of its students are provided interviews to Tufts medical school (of which half are ultimately accepted). Like you said, the class size is smaller, by ~80 students. This may or may not make it more competitive to get accepted though. If you work hard and get GPA>3.5 in the program, I feel like your chances for acceptance to med school will be fine.

Interestingly I got the opposite impression from current and former MBS and MAMS students. BU's program seemed more invested in providing support for its students from what they said. The BU students seemed more happy too and more supported by their advisors.

I was told the BU MAMS classes are split into 2 sections so you're going to have a smaller class size in the classes even if overall class is bigger. BU also doesn't have curving so they said that many students are helping each other. One of the Tufts students felt that people in the MBS class were very competitive and were hard to get to help each other if they weren't in the same early study groups.

BU MAMS and Tufts MBS both accept ~35 students into their respective medical school so I feel that's comparable. I was told either program will get you into med school if you get a 3.5+. A couple of MBS students thought getting a 3.5+ in MAMS seemed easier and it was hard being graded against the med school.

Btw did you call to get a hold of Tufts admissions? I emailed them and they never responded.

I hope my info helps someone. Also am hoping I get to choose between the two. Seems like a good choice to have.

Last edited:
Congrats on the acceptance!

Where are you getting the 70% offered interviews, half are ultimately accepted information from? Is that number based on people who take on a gap year and wait to apply after the 1st year is done?
I was told that my the admissions staff and two former MBS students. Though, the students did warn that each each the Tufts class has grown slightly bigger while the number accepted to Tufts medical stays roughly constant at ~35. The overall number accepted to Tufts medical has not grown commensurately. And, yeah thats based on applying the summer after the program. I don't think many apply before the program starts and those who do get accepted when applying then usually have good MCATs and GPAs to begin with

Does this program have a linkage? What is the class size?
Not official linkage. That's only Temple and Tulane. A portion of its class will ultimately be interviewed and accepted, however. Can't be sure about class size yet because it's not full, but I've read/heard estimates now ranging from 100-130.

Interestingly I got the opposite impression from current and former MBS and MAMS students. BU's program seemed more invested in providing support for its students from what they said. The BU students seemed more happy too and more supported by their advisors.

I was told the BU MAMS classes are split into 2 sections so you're going to have a smaller class size in the classes even if overall class is bigger. BU also doesn't have curving so they said that many students are helping each other. One of the Tufts students felt that people in the MBS class were very competitive and were hard to get to help each other if they weren't in the same early study groups.

BU MAMS and Tufts MBS both accept ~35 students into their respective medical school so I feel that's comparable. I was told either program will get you into med school if you get a 3.5+. A couple of MBS students thought getting a 3.5+ in MAMS seemed easier and it was hard being graded against the med school.

Btw did you call to get a hold of Tufts admissions? I emailed them and they never responded.

I hope my info helps someone. Also am hoping I get to choose between the two. Seems like a good choice to have.
Good luck! And that's good to know. I didn't know BU had breakout sessions like that. The two people from MAMS that I know (who didn't even know the other) both said that individual study groups competed too. I think intensity and difficulty is similar. It's basically first year med school.

And yeah, I called Tufts directly. Give them a ring. They're friendly. I'd be curious to know what else they say.

Hi guys, I was wait listed yesterday. Does anyone know if there is historically any movement on the wait list? Any help is appreciated. Thanks! Congrats to everyone who was accepted
Hi guys, I'm really looking into some insight on this. I've called the office a few times and I haven't been able to reach anyone, I'm hoping to submit some supplemental materials to strengthen my application some more but not sure where to send them to. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

If you don't mind answering, what was your GRE score? Congratulations! :)

Verbal Reasoning: 157/74%
Quantitative Reasoning: 161/80%
Analytical Writing 4.5/80%

I think that my scores are considered average, but I am not too sure. If you are studying for them, definitely put in at least 2 weeks to study. Just take practice exams, its much easier than the MCATs

Thanks, btw!!