TUCOM - NV Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in!!!

Wow! Can't believe I got accepted!:):)

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted tonight as well. My first acceptance!!! Being a reapplicant I've been waiting for this for a while. Congrats to dangit! Maybe see you in August!

I was accepted tonight as well. My first acceptance!!! Being a reapplicant I've been waiting for this for a while. Congrats to dangit! Maybe see you in August!

fo sho! yea man! congrats to you too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Shibby! Congrats to all!

Last edited:
hi all, this is my first time posting here so here it goes...im full of questions lol.

my interview is on 2/26 and i just wanted to know if any of u know anything unique about this school compared to others. so basically the answer to the question why TUN. i have an idea of why but i wanted more info on their rotation and research opportunities. so...did they come up with that academic clinic that was supposed to be up and running in 2007. if so how much are students a part of it? do they have rotations in under-served areas and what about the diversity of nevada....Touro cali is very much in a very diverse region and so i was wondering if thats the case with TUN? also like the intro/ shadowing they do to clinical rotation in the secound yr.. i think thats unique in this school nah.. and the viedo lecture are nice addition they thought of. type of teachers, good or bad looking school does not matter to me.. resources, opportunities and support does.
hope some one can answer some of these questions for me... :D
and congrates to all who got accepted.
good luck to all in my seat.. still waitin to know where we will end up!

TUN is probably the best of the 3 Touros. Although, I am biased...

I actually just decided to apply to TUCOM-NV. I was just wondering if people think it's too late even though the accept apps until 3/15.

This is just a guess, but I don't think it's too late for Touro-NV. The school gives you back 90% of your deposit if you withdraw, and so I'm sure that there are people who have reserved a spot but are waiting for other schools to get back to them. I think there is a lot of movement on the waitlist later on because of this??

I heard that the wait list is based just on stats, is that true? If its true do they care more about MCAT or GPA? Anyone know how many people they take off the wait list also. Sorry for all the neurotic questions, I interviewed back in January and really wanted to go here but sadly wait list :(

Still hoping for good news come May :xf:.

I heard that the wait list is based just on stats, is that true? If its true do they care more about MCAT or GPA? Anyone know how many people they take off the wait list also. Sorry for all the neurotic questions, I interviewed back in January and really wanted to go here but sadly wait list :(

Still hoping for good news come May :xf:.

Touro NV takes around 70 people off the waitlist. The waitlist is ranked high, middle, and low waitlist. If you are high waitlisted you are very likely to get in. They take some people from the middle group. The waitlist is more based on stats. This is what Roger told us on out interview date. I cannot comment on GPA or MCAT being the more important factor. Roger also did say that a letter of intent would go a long way if you were waitlisted. If Touro NV is your first choice I would strongly recommend this option. Hope to see you in August!

waitlisted! argh.. :(
don't know if i should keep trying for this school or if i should just keep planning for Touro NY.
on the letter, it also said "I also want to advise you that you will be considered as a candidate for Early Accept to the Class of 2014 should you ultimately not be offered acceptance to the Class of 2013." Is this that stand-by list thing (where they have you on stand-by during the orientation and then if you don't get called, you are automatically accepted to class of 2014) that Roger was talking about?
(sigh) not sure what to do at this point...

Is this that stand-by list thing (where they have you on stand-by during the orientation and then if you don't get called, you are automatically accepted to class of 2014) that Roger was talking about?

Yes. Hang in there!

SO based on the numbers Ive seen here you guys think Ive got a chance with a 3.2 overall 3.6 science and a 25mcat? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
SO based on the numbers Ive seen here you guys think Ive got a chance with a 3.2 overall 3.6 science and a 25mcat? :)

i have similar stats, so depending on your other activities and experiences, and when you apply, i would say yes....

Hey, Roger (Admissions Director) emailed us a bunch of paperwork/info this morning and said thus far 107 seats of the 135 are filled. That still leaves 28 spots, which to me seems like a lot!

In addition to the first deposit of $2000, another $1000 is due on May 15th--Roger said because of this additional $1000, a lot of people give up their seats on or around 5/15 so the waitlist has a lot of movement around then. Good luck to those still interviewing or on the waitlist! Your chances are still great!! :)

anyone else having trouble getting the HEP A vaccine... nowhere in my area offers it for adults unless you are leaving the country

Have you tried your local health department? Maybe your primary doc can write an RX for you to get it and then you can bring it in to his office and have it administered (if he does not have it on hand). If you are currently enrolled somewhere, your school's student clinic may be able to help you.

already tried both places neither will offer it or can get it for me..... and i graduated last may so no school option either

anyone else having trouble getting the HEP A vaccine... nowhere in my area offers it for adults unless you are leaving the country

Have you tried contacting the regional or state Dept of Health? I've had to go to the state level before to get some vaccines when I've had to travel. They might be your best option at this point.

Did Roger email us a list of vaccines/etc we need already for school physicals? I didn't see anything.

Did Roger email us a list of vaccines/etc we need already for school physicals? I didn't see anything.

hey supra - yeah Roger attached a document for our immunizations and physical in the first email that was sent on the listserve:

it's called Immunization_Forms Incoming Students 2008.doc

sent out on March 7th.

I can fwd it to you if you can't find it.

already tried both places neither will offer it or can get it for me..... and i graduated last may so no school option either

Some doctors specialize in travel, try looking up the doctors in the yellow pages and see if there's an ad for travel docs.

anyone else told the interview schedule is full and put on the waitlist??

anyone considering canceling their interview?? :D

Off topic, but cool news for the school and our rep nationwide.

Not only did we host the AMSA Region X (every med school MD/DO west of Colorado) Conference this past fall at the Stratosphere, we were heavily represented in national elections.

Heidi Kemmer was elected Region X Coordinator.
Corey White was elected National LGBTA Director.
Justin Schreiber (the current Region X Coordinator) has been elected NATIONAL VICE PRESIDENT!! Wow.

Also, for the American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians we were chosen as Student Chapter of the Year and Alecia Scott was chosen to be NATIONAL VICE PRESIDENT.

Touro Nevada.
Get some.

other then the listserv is there any place where current students are posting houses and condos and apts? I looked on TUNLive and I can't use the website everything is password protected.

Thanks
Tiffany

Anyone heard any waitlist updates or anything about how many class slots are open?

I got my Hep A and Hep B Vaccines quickly and easily at my neighborhood clinic. They were also available at all Dept. of Health too. Maybe it's a Utah thing... too many of us walking around with hepatitis.

Any one who currently lives in the area do you recommend any apts in the area?

Any late bloomers out there? I am interviewing April 28th wondering if anyone out there will be joining me.

I am stoked to visit the school, my brother-in-law is a first year there and he loves it. Congrats to those already accepted. My fingers are crossed.

Anybody else on the wait-list start having trouble sleeping at night yet?
I'm not sure if its from wondering about getting in or from talking to some of my stressed out MS-I friends and coming to terms with how they live.
Fun times.

I hear you guys, at least it's only two more days :luck:.

So will they let us know our waitlist rank on the 15th or is that when they order it and we hear next week, cause that would suck.

To be honest with you I bet the May 15 "deadline" is a soft deadline. I've been reading posts from other schools and from past years. Sometimes they started accepting kids off the alternate lists in April and some schools didn't do it until a week or two after the "deadline."
It seems this year that most of the schools have been more tight lipped about waitlists, rankings and specific dates. Just my luck.
I'm expecting to get called eventually, just not tomorrow.
I could be wrong. I hope I am. I've been waiting since the beginning of October.

yeah same here... just waiting for tomorrow to come around. im assuming we wont get the email or call or whatever till later in the day. keeping my fingers crossed.

Just wanted to let anyone know who is on the waitlist to give Roger a called directly. He'll tell you your position (hi, med, low).

middle waitlist. Is there anything more uncertain than the middle wait list?

Anyone know how long it usually takes to get off the High wait list? Care to share your experiences?

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

It lists off their site, that about 40% of their acceptees come from the funneling schools of the UC system. Does this mean they give California students preference?

The reason I am asking, is because I am a NC resident, and I am trying to weave out some schools that give a lot of in-state or surrounding state preference.

Thanks.

It lists off their site, that about 40% of their acceptees come from the funneling schools of the UC system. Does this mean they give California students preference?

The reason I am asking, is because I am a NC resident, and I am trying to weave out some schools that give a lot of in-state or surrounding state preference.

Thanks.

I heard that they just seem to accept a lot of CA students. I'm pretty sure that they arn't given any preferance. Touro is a private school. So many students go there from Cali because it's so close to home.

Agreed, it seems which section (hi, med, low) u are on the wait list makes all the difference (according to Roger).

Anyone know what is the final deadline for the accepted students to confirm if they are attending Touro Nevada? It seems then we will know more about movement on the waitlist.

Agreed, it seems which section (hi, med, low) u are on the wait list makes all the difference (according to Roger).

Anyone know what is the final deadline for the accepted students to confirm if they are attending Touro Nevada? It seems then we will know more about movement on the waitlist.

I remember from the interview being told that you had ~2 weeks to give them a yes/no and pay your deposit to make it official. I also was told that May 15th is the day schools can start checking some database to see if your holding more than 1 acceptance. This could be hearsay from someone on a waitlist who is trying to scare those with a choice of schools into making the decision.
I'm hoping for the waitlist to get worked pretty good this year.

According to Roger... about 52 students were accepted off the wait list last year. High wait list is considered top 50 (of about 150-175 total on the wait list). I guess we can all do the math according to these past stats to figure out our chances of getting in off the wait list. hope this helps everyone.

Yeah I was told last week that the waitlist consists of around 140-150 students. I just found out im in the top third this week and its stressin me out. I have a friend who was accepted last year like a week before classes started. It sucks to not know if you need to get your application ready again for the next cycle.

Anyone and everyone that hears news from Touro about the waitlist let us know.

Good luck everyone

So if you're on the high wl, Roger just call you up whenever there's an opening? It seems so sporatic and uncertain. Sigh.

I emailed Roger this past week and he said I was in the top 1/3rd but to call him. When I called, he said a spot opened up. Now i'm pretty sure I will attend here over Lecom-B. Its a tough call, both schools have a totally different style of curriculum, but I think the lecture based would be easier to deal with. I'm also not a fan of the Bradenton area.

I just got a call from Mr. Corbman last week! I'm in!:D

I emailed Roger this past week and he said I was in the top 1/3rd but to call him. When I called, he said a spot opened up. Now i'm pretty sure I will attend here over Lecom-B. Its a tough call, both schools have a totally different style of curriculum, but I think the lecture based would be easier to deal with. I'm also not a fan of the Bradenton area.

What's wrong with the Bradenton area?

I just got a call from Mr. Corbman last week! I'm in!:D

CONGRATS!!!!! :cool:

What's wrong with the Bradenton area?

CONGRATS!!!!! :cool:

Yeah, what's wrong with the Bradenton area...besides which the school is in a real up and coming neighborhood, and you are probably closer to Sarasota than Bradenton. Not to mention that you are close to one of the best beaches in the US...Siesta Beach!

Yeah, what's wrong with the Bradenton area...besides which the school is in a real up and coming neighborhood, and you are probably closer to Sarasota than Bradenton. Not to mention that you are close to one of the best beaches in the US...Siesta Beach!
Yea...i doubt that he's gonna be able to go to the beach with pbl and all. sheesh! it sounded BRUTAL!