Tucom-nv 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
... So what's going on?

It's only November so first year is a long way off but who will be in southern Nevada next year? What is your name? Where are you from? What undergrad/grad school did you attend or what did you do prior to medical school? What do you think your living arrangements will be? When do you plan on moving down there? What are you most excited/nervous about? These are the questions inquiring minds want to know.

Becky, a first year (c/o 2015) student who was at your interview (at least she was at mine) created a facebook group for us in 2015:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=133543779996974

Maybe some current students can be involved in this thread and answer questions as well

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, My name is Ryan and I'll be attending this fall. I am from rural Missouri and went to school at Columbia College. I think we'll probably relocate in May or June so that we can acclimate ourselves to life in such a different environment.

Hello everyone! My name is Amanda, and I will be attending in the fall! I am finishing up my bachelors in May. I'm from Ohio (my immediate family resides in CA) and attend the University of Findlay with a major in Biology. I could not be happier knowing I'll be on the west coast next year! I'm a little young (only 20), so I am a bit nervous being one of the youngest, but I know we'll have a great class :)

I plan on moving to Henderson in July, probably close to the school.. and I plan on getting an apartment. I'm excited to meet everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Congrats on getting in and becoming a part of the Touro Nevada family! I am a second year at TUN. Let me know if you have any questions. I would also encourage you to join the Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=133543779996974 ), most of the first and second year class is on Facebook and you might get better/faster responses to some of your questions if you post them on Facebook. (Not very many people get on SDN.) But whatever makes you happiest. I will periodically check in here to see if there are any questions.

Hope you guys enjoy your time before starting med school!! :)

I'm Chris from Chicago and went to school in the rural midwest. I am finishing a masters degree in exercise science. I'm looking forward to starting at TUCOM in the fall and I plan on being out there in late June or early July. My friends are really excited about me going to school in las vegas so they can make frequent visits. Hopefully we have a social group of people in our class because I will be taking full advantage of the location when appropriate.

I'm Brianna. I have lived in Henderson for 11 years now and am currently about 5 minutes away from campus. I'm graduating from UNLV with my BS in 3 weeks. I am married and have 1 son who is 17 months. If you have any questions about Las Vegas or Henderson I'll do my best to answer them.
As everyone else is, I'm stoked! It'll be a long ways until July...
I can't wait to get to know my new med school family!
Congrats to everyone!

I'm currently a first year here (I know, I know...should be studying). Its interesting to see some of the people who will be joining us here next year : )

I think you guys will like it here! Just remember it is very hot here in August so be prepared!

And Amanda...don't worry about being the youngest (that's quite an accomplishment). I was 19 when I started earlier in August (turned 20 in Nov.) and everybody has been really nice and supportive.

If you guys have any questions, me or I'm sure any of the other current students who frequent this site from time to time are willing to help : ) I'm a local so I sort of know my way around.

I'm currently a first year here (I know, I know...should be studying). Its interesting to see some of the people who will be joining us here next year : )

I think you guys will like it here! Just remember it is very hot here in August so be prepared!

How are you liking your 1st year classes?

Welcome everyone and congratulations on your acceptance! I am also a student at TUN and I am available to answer any questions, e.g. where to live, what to expect, etc. Feel free to PM me with any individual questions or post them here.

How are you liking your 1st year classes?

Glad I found something on this board to do, there's so little action on the Osteopathic boards. I too am a first year, but I'm 33 married with 2 kids, and drive to the Reno area virtually every weekend to rejoin my family. That's a whole different topic though. Good luck and Congratulations on your acceptance.

Hello to Melissa and Kat.

I don't know if you can use the word like to describe classes maself. I enjoy the classes for the knowledge, but don't enjoy the pain that is my grade outcome. I really enjoy the Physical Diagnosis (learning clinical stuff) OMM (the osteopathic manipulation class) and IHM (the social touchy feely stuff that is important). I've grown tired of smelling like Formaldehyde after anatomy, but that class always seems to be so intriguing when you get to see the intricacies of the body from the inside. Medical Biochem was rough for me because it was all new. Kat will probably tell you otherwise as she blew through it. And lastly there's the BSF (not Basic Science Foundations) that can only be experienced when you're there.

Hi to my anatomy lab buddy (not sure if he wants to be named or not lol) and Melissa.

But yes, I really enjoyed biochemistry--the material, the professors, and the way everything was presented (EXCEPT the 8 AM group meetings--ugh, too early).

I really enjoy OMM too, especially after seeing or having the professors practice on you. The way they can treat things is amazing and I hope I can do at least a few of their techniques half as well as they can (though I don't plan on specializing in OMT). GOOD suboccipital inhibition = WOW.

The class I have learned the most from is anatomy, but it is the hardest for me and my lowest grade-wise. And I hate the smell of formaldehyde, which I am now apparently really sensitive to smelling (have to wash new clothes before I wear them now--can smell the formaldehyde they use to preserve the color).

I feel I would enjoy BSF if it didn't feel as rushed as it does this semester. PD is useful, too, I think I'll appreciate it more as I learn more about what the data actually means. And IHM is taught by an awesome professor, but is really emotional..I definitely got teary eyed at some points during the class.

Thanks for all the information on your classes! I just have one question.. since I have not taken biochemistry, should I maybe review it every once in awhile this summer? I will have loads of freetime (moving back to Cali with my family for 3 months after I graduate, and won't have a real job except little things my dad makes me do at his law firm). The professor who interviewed was really concerned I wasnt taking it, and told me I should review it prior. What do you think? Thanks for any advice!

Hard to say, I had a year of biochemistry and it helped tremendously. But if you have a good grasp of cell physiology then that's pretty comparable too (a lot of biochem is about the regulation of enzymes, there's not much of it that is actual hardcore chemistry).

If you want a good review book though, Lippincott's biochem is a pretty basic review guide. (The textbook we use, Mark's Medical Biochemistry, is excellent but very in-depth...wouldn't recommend going through it prior to the start of classes).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the information on your classes! I just have one question.. since I have not taken biochemistry, should I maybe review it every once in awhile this summer? I will have loads of freetime (moving back to Cali with my family for 3 months after I graduate, and won't have a real job except little things my dad makes me do at his law firm). The professor who interviewed was really concerned I wasnt taking it, and told me I should review it prior. What do you think? Thanks for any advice!

I really liked biochem too, and found it to be the easiest of the science classes, but I took it during undergrad. Anatomy is probably hardest for me, even though I find it interesting (well, except for the lab part). It certainly wouldn't hurt you to look over some stuff, but I also think you'd be fine if you didn't. Honestly, I'd take advantage of the free time ... Lol perhaps the person who interviewed you is a biochem professor?

Yes, you should and more often than once in a while would be better. I didn't take Biochem like my two peers here (I'm not private on these boards kat, it's been a pleasure getting to know you and be your lab partner. The same for Melissaliss. We have some really good people in our class.) Biochem was kinda brutal for me. It wasn't hard, i just felt like I was spending so much time learning the stuff from scratch while the others were building on their knowledge. I enjoy the content immensely, but it was laborious to get the low grade that I did.

I kinda have problems with professors who think it's a problem that someone isn't taking a class that isn't a prerequisite, but that's an entirely different issue. It will benefit you to get into it. Grabbing the textbook now won't hurt at all. I didn't buy it, and studied from the notes, but I think Kat will tell you the book was great. My roommate has it and i've hit it a couple times, but you'll need the book anyway. I wish I had bought this book last year to learn some of the biochem instead of Lippencott's Review. Use of a review book to learn is senseless.

I wouldn't approach it like you must know it, because it's difficult for you to grasp how much you're going to be expected to know and how fast they'll expect you to "know" it until you're here. Start with overall familiarity, and then build on that. You'll come back to amino acids so much, familiarity is all you need in the beginning.

Here's a link to the text on Amazon just so you know what you are looking at and purchase the correct text. Kat can probably give you a link to some obscure website looking to pay you to take the 2nd edition off their hands or something. I think I spent more money on energy drinks than she did her textbooks. Who's the fool here??

http://www.amazon.com/Marks-Basic-M...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292095660&sr=8-1

Anyway, enjoy.

Yes, you should and more often than once in a while would be better. I didn't take Biochem like my two peers here (I'm not private on these boards kat, it's been a pleasure getting to know you and be your lab partner. The same for Melissaliss. We have some really good people in our class.) Biochem was kinda brutal for me. It wasn't hard, i just felt like I was spending so much time learning the stuff from scratch while the others were building on their knowledge. I enjoy the content immensely, but it was laborious to get the low grade that I did.

I kinda have problems with professors who think it's a problem that someone isn't taking a class that isn't a prerequisite, but that's an entirely different issue. It will benefit you to get into it. Grabbing the textbook now won't hurt at all. I didn't buy it, and studied from the notes, but I think Kat will tell you the book was great. My roommate has it and i've hit it a couple times, but you'll need the book anyway. I wish I had bought this book last year to learn some of the biochem instead of Lippencott's Review. Use of a review book to learn is senseless.

I wouldn't approach it like you must know it, because it's difficult for you to grasp how much you're going to be expected to know and how fast they'll expect you to "know" it until you're here. Start with overall familiarity, and then build on that. You'll come back to amino acids so much, familiarity is all you need in the beginning.

Here's a link to the text on Amazon just so you know what you are looking at and purchase the correct text. Kat can probably give you a link to some obscure website looking to pay you to take the 2nd edition off their hands or something. I think I spent more money on energy drinks than she did her textbooks. Who's the fool here??

http://www.amazon.com/Marks-Basic-M...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292095660&sr=8-1

Anyway, enjoy.

Thank you for all the information! This is exactly what I've been looking for, because I think I would feel better if I just bought the book early and spent some time reviewing this summer. Do you think this is the same book I'll be using next year? (Or at least the same author.. difference in editions usually aren't much). Because if so, I will probably buy it this spring just to have it for this summer. I appreciate all your input, along with everyone elses! Have a Happy Holiday! :)

How are the rotations at TUNCOM? All core rotations are setup by the school, right?

Negative knowledge ghost rider, but I hear all of our core rotations are set up unless we come up with something better.

There appears to be quite a bit of flexibility with elective rotations though.

Thank you for all the information! This is exactly what I've been looking for, because I think I would feel better if I just bought the book early and spent some time reviewing this summer. Do you think this is the same book I'll be using next year? (Or at least the same author.. difference in editions usually aren't much). Because if so, I will probably buy it this spring just to have it for this summer. I appreciate all your input, along with everyone elses! Have a Happy Holiday! :)

Kat gets old edition books for so cheap it makes me feel dumb having spent the cash. The current anatomy text isn't going to change enough to matter (I actually think she uses the old version) and the biochem book is solid enough it won't matter either. They've invested way too much time building their presentations to consider changing editions and therefore the powerpoints. Just a hunch there.

Hi everyone.

Congrats on your acceptance. I'm half way through my 3rd year here at TUN. If you have ?s about rotations, please feel free to PM me. I'll get back to you when I can!

Roselee

Hi everyone.

Congrats on your acceptance. I'm half way through my 3rd year here at TUN. If you have ?s about rotations, please feel free to PM me. I'll get back to you when I can!

Roselee

Capt Janeway for an Avatar. Not bad. /tip of the hat. Still have to go with Capt Picard though.

So I just wanted to add that http://www.betterworldbooks.com is where I buy my books if I get the used old editions (which I usually do). I am very cheap about textbooks, especially because we use so many textbooks.

Also, I feel less bad about highlighting/annotating/scribbling in used books.

Shop around though. Google shopping is a good way to compare prices.

Congratulations to everyone on the acceptance. I will also be starting at touro nv in august and absolutely cannot wait..lets get together the weekend before school starts and gran some drinks and get to know each other.

Can't wait to personally meet you all.

Welcome everyone and congratulations on your acceptance! I am also a student at TUN and I am available to answer any questions, e.g. where to live, what to expect, etc. Feel free to PM me with any individual questions or post them here.

Anyone currently attending TUN: How far is the off campus housing from the university? Are there apartment complex available for students and how expensive? I will appreciate an answer.

I am another future student of Touro! I am 22, female and currently in WA but from AZ. Right now, I'm working in research and I am VERY ready to go back to school and get back to the southwest.

I will be bringing my husband (and hoping he can find a job!) and my love of the outdoors. I know I won't have much free time, but I am pretty excited about all the climbing and backpacking that's all around. Also, I'm excited to get out of my tiny town and have access to plays, musicals, museums etc.

I can't wait to meet everyone! Getting together before orientation sounds great to me.

Do any current students have any housing recommendations?

Do any current students have any housing recommendations?

I was wondering the same thing...I was hoping some of the current students can give a review of the various housing locations (remington, ventana, timberlake, etc) in terms of rent, location, friendliness/helpfulness of staff, staff's response to maintenance, cleanliness (with regards to roaches and other creeping and crawling creatures lol) and your overall opinion of the place.

I read some of the reviews on www.tunlive.com but they seem pretty outdated.

Hmm, I am currently doing the living-at-home thing with my family (wouldn't necessarily recommend it, as it is quite far, but works for me) so I don't know too much about housing.

I drive about 20-30 mins. each way to get from home to school, which most California folks would probably laugh at, but it gets tiring after awhile.

I am pretty sure Melissa knows a good deal about apartments, so she would be a good one to ask...

Congrats everyone, and welcome to the TUNV family. I am a 4th year here, and I would be more than willing to answer any questions you might have regarding school, Henderson, living situations, classes, rotations, etc. I am on SDN quite often, and will try to help you guys any way I can. I know when I moved out here, I kinda winged it, so I will hopefully try to provide some guidance. Good luck.

Of note, my wife and I will be moving from Vegas for residency and we will be renting out our house (3 bedroom 2.5 bath) that is about 1.5 miles from school. Drop me a PM if interested.

I have a specific housing question. After looking online at the apartments that are near the school, it looks like Timberlake apartments are the cheapest. Does anyone know if they are decent apartments?

I have a specific housing question. After looking online at the apartments that are near the school, it looks like Timberlake apartments are the cheapest. Does anyone know if they are decent apartments?

I am going to be a new student in the fall as well, and I went to Henderson this December to check out apartments. I actually found Remington Canyon to be cheaper (they run a lot of specials, and the numbers she gave me were cheaper than Timberlake). Obviously this could change, but Remington might be a good one to look at as well. I looked at both, and I was very pleased with them. I am leaning more towards Remington, and if you PM me I can give you my insight on them. There's nothing wrong with Timberlake, just my own personal opinion. Both are super close though which I believe is going to be very nice :)

Timberlake apartments are close (about a mile) from school and Remington is virtually across the street from school. Either way, both places are close enough that a commute is not an issue. I know many students who live in both complexes, and have little or no complaints. When I moved to Vegas, my wife and I looked at both places (but chose another one before purchasing a home). I personally thought Timberlake was a little nicer, but either way, I don't think you can really go wrong if you want an apartment. There are tons of places around the school (apartments and homes) and you should be able to find something without much of an issue.

The thing with housing is that so much of it works. There are a lot of people who live in the apartments near the campus. There are a lot of people who live in houses that seem not so close to campus, but are a quick shot. The Henderson traffic toward the school in the morning is smooth. We live probably 5 miles from school and it takes me 10 minutes door to door. It's nearly all freeway, so don't get hung up on the idea that you have to be close. A 10 minute walk is just as close as a ten minute drive. There are also so many neighborhoods around campus that are totally workable for medical students. Look around and keep your options extremely open and flexible. The housing market is still quite depressed, so if you can finaggle buying a house with parents or something, consider that too. Also, there will be a huge flurry of looking for roommates and people to co-rent apartments with in the coming months on the class facebook page. Keep an eyeball out for those. Many great relationships are forming between classmate who were strangers before, but decided to be roommates with mostly strangers.

Hope that helps

To everyone asking about housing options. We are working on getting the tunlive.com section on housing updated - more specifically the opinions. Hopefully that will help when it comes to making your decision on where to stay.

To everyone asking about housing options. We are working on getting the tunlive.com section on housing updated - more specifically the opinions. Hopefully that will help when it comes to making your decision on where to stay.

Thank you very much! We all appreciate it

I live in Timberlake, and I pay $695/month for a one bedroom, but that includes water and trash, which most places around here don't include. I also think that the office personnel and maintenance here are awesome. I was going to go with Ventana Canyon, but I could never get a hold of anyone when I called there or Remington ... always got an answering machine. I like my apartment, and I don't really have any complaints. It was the best deal I could find as well - the most space for the least money. I would encourage you to check out a few places in person and try to get a feel for what you'd like. Try to know what's important to you ahead of time, for example, included water/trash, laundry, garage, gated complex, gym, etc. because not all places are going to satisfy all of those. A lot of people live in the many apartment complexes nearby and I haven't heard any major complaints about any of them.

Hi Guys:

If anyone needs housing, i have a room to rent in a 3BR 3BA house close to school. the house is 1850 sq feet with a 2 car garage, and is fully furnished. It has everything you could need except a bed and thats a very personal choice. my e-mail is [email protected].

Sean

Welcome to Touro

I'm a second year, playing the whole 'board study' game right now.

If you have any questions you don't feel have been answered, or just want to know a different perspective, let me know and I'll do my best to help out.

Thanks!

Thank you very much! We all appreciate it

Tunlive is an extremely important site for our school. Most functions work through that site; you can see where our students matched, textbooks for sale from upperclassmen, housing, etc. It's pretty convenient and worth spending time looking at!

The thing with housing is that so much of it works. There are a lot of people who live in the apartments near the campus. There are a lot of people who live in houses that seem not so close to campus, but are a quick shot. The Henderson traffic toward the school in the morning is smooth. We live probably 5 miles from school and it takes me 10 minutes door to door. It's nearly all freeway, so don't get hung up on the idea that you have to be close. A 10 minute walk is just as close as a ten minute drive. There are also so many neighborhoods around campus that are totally workable for medical students. Look around and keep your options extremely open and flexible. The housing market is still quite depressed, so if you can finaggle buying a house with parents or something, consider that too. Also, there will be a huge flurry of looking for roommates and people to co-rent apartments with in the coming months on the class facebook page. Keep an eyeball out for those. Many great relationships are forming between classmate who were strangers before, but decided to be roommates with mostly strangers.

Hope that helps

I couldn't agree more.
One thing to consider if you're going to buy is location of rotations in your 3rd and 4th years. We all have to spend time at Valley Hostpital which is northwest of school about 10 miles or so.

So if you buy, you may want to consider finding a happy medium there (I bought northeast and it's just going to make my commute a bit longer in the next few months), but overall, traffic isn't bad at all for a 'big city'.

There are plenty of homes, you shouldn't stress about finding a place to stay!

I live in Timberlake, and I pay $695/month for a one bedroom, but that includes water and trash, which most places around here don't include. I also think that the office personnel and maintenance here are awesome. I was going to go with Ventana Canyon, but I could never get a hold of anyone when I called there or Remington ... always got an answering machine. I like my apartment, and I don't really have any complaints. It was the best deal I could find as well - the most space for the least money. I would encourage you to check out a few places in person and try to get a feel for what you'd like. Try to know what's important to you ahead of time, for example, included water/trash, laundry, garage, gated complex, gym, etc. because not all places are going to satisfy all of those. A lot of people live in the many apartment complexes nearby and I haven't heard any major complaints about any of them.

I guess I took advantage of the down market here, because my MORTGAGE on my 1800 sq foot house is 800 (insurance, taxes, etc. included)

You can find reasonable housing here for sure, and especially if you're willing to have housemates/roommates.

Good luck with the search!

Hi, I'm Johnny, class of 2015. I'm from Muncie, IN and went to Ball State. My undergrad is Biochem, but I'm finishing a masters in Physiology. Personally, I'm looking forward to Anatomy because I've been teaching it for the last year... in case anyone needs any help with it.
I couldn't be more excited to move to Henderson in July and meet all of my future classmates. I am looking for potential roommates, preferably in a house or apartment close to school (in case of car trouble).

Hey everyone, my name is Melanie and I just got in a few weeks ago. Just wondering if anyone knows when the white coat ceremony is going to be for our class? Maybe I am being premature, but I am really, really looking forward to it :) Oh and if anyone here hasn't joined the facebook group yet I would recommend it! Thanks!

Hey everyone.. Congrats on the acceptances and good luck to those still waiting. I'm a first year DO and I have a house near campus with available bedrooms. The ~2000sq ft house is in a gated community. It's a 3br 2.5bath w/ an entertainment loft. There is a 2car garage, community pool and jacuzzi, and it's within a mile of campus. A fellow first year lived there with me this year, and it worked out really well for both of us. We are both moving, and 1 or 2 of the bedrooms will be available, possible including the master. Email me for details.

Thanks,
Sam

[email protected]

Hey everyone, my name is Melanie and I just got in a few weeks ago. Just wondering if anyone knows when the white coat ceremony is going to be for our class? Maybe I am being premature, but I am really, really looking forward to it :) Oh and if anyone here hasn't joined the facebook group yet I would recommend it! Thanks!

Hey Melanie - the White Coat Ceremony is usually in the middle of Octber to the first part of November. I'm sure you'll find out for sure sometime in June or July. I don't know if they have a date for sure or not, but if they do, I will be sure to reply again and let you know. :)

Hey Melanie,

The WCC is going to be on September 25th this year. I also needed to know to make flight arrangements for family.

Thanks for the white coat ceremony date. Parents have to put in advance notice for vacation time, so it helps to tell them a few months early. I'm excited already!

Hi everyone! I'll be starting the DO program and was in Henderson last week to look for an apartment. I toured almost all the apartments listed on TUNLive and Timberlake was by far the best community in the area. Timberlake offers quiet living, a 24-hour gym and raquetball court, heated swimming pool, business center, tennis courts, and even a big screen TV with theater-style seating. Best of all it is located 1 mile from school. 2-3 minutes at the most.

I am looking for a roommate to share my two bedroom, two bath apartment. The unit is upstairs (so better light and no footsteps above you) and is a dual-master configuration so you would have your own room and bathroom. There is a large living room and an outdoor patio. All appliances (washer and dryer too) are included. Patio and both bedrooms face north so we'd get good light without burning up. The views are also quite nice.

I have already reserved the apartment and paid the $150 admin cost. All you would have to do is fill out a rental application and pay $40 for the background check.

You can move in any time after July 15th.

Click on the following link for a PDF version of their brochure. The apartment layout is the "Cedar". There are also photos of some of the many amenities offered by Timberlake.
http://admin.apts247.com/files/cache/pdf/2844/_05_21_11_Main_Brochure.pdf

Come be my roommate!