Transferring from Australian medical school into north american

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cdn mo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know if this has happened to anyone from a aussie medical school to a north american medical school. I know it happens from caribbean medical schools to american medical school.

In case you dont understand what i am asking. I mean transferring from 1 medical school to another, say in your third or fourth year...NOT residency

thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wanted to know if this has happened to anyone from a aussie medical school to a north american medical school. I know it happens from caribbean medical schools to american medical school.

In case you dont understand what i am asking. I mean transferring from 1 medical school to another, say in your third or fourth year...NOT residency

thank you in advance

It is probably possible on a case-by-case basis but the odds of doing it are going to be highly remote. You should contact all the schools you're interested in transferring to in North America and ask directly.

They'll probably consider your MCAT score and or USMLE step 1 performance, GPA, interview, etc.

Caribbean students transferring to N American medical schools does not happen. You will hear a few stories here and there but for the most part it's not done. I would say there is a less than 0.1% chance that a student could transfer from the Caribbean to a North American medical school. Because any student doing that is going to be "trading up" which is extremely hard to do.

Australia is a bit complicated as well because the semesters don't match up. If you transferred you will end up sitting out from December until August/September since the Australian school year runs January/February - November/December whereas in the US and Canada it's August/September - April/May.

what if you went to an Australian med school straight from high school without doing any undergrad work at a university? Is there any chance of a transfer in this case?

thx

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember you need an appropriate visa and you will be required to pay international tuition fees plus living expenses, think several hundreds of thousands of dollars; HECS/FEE-HELP will not cover you and in the US there is no equivalent of HECS and even what is available you are not eligible for.

Also think of the implications for practice; you will most likely find it difficult to get a House Officer job as you're treated as an international graduate.

Unless you have extremely deep pockets and lots of time on your hands you are better off doing an overseas elective in one of your clinical years for a couple of months or looking abroad once you are a Senior Registrar

what if you went to an Australian med school straight from high school without doing any undergrad work at a university? Is there any chance of a transfer in this case?

thx

If you're in high school definitely go abroad! It's one of my biggest regrets. The US & Canada j***** you off paying $30,000 to $50,000 per year for an undergraduate degree which is essentially USELESS to you, except that it's a prerequisite for US/ Canadian medical schools.

Don't expect to transfer but I still recommend going abroad.

The UK has awesome 5-year undergraduate medical programs. I believe NZ does as well.

Ireland has 5-year & 6-year undergraduate entry medicine.

Australia has 6-year undergraduate entry.

Definitely pick one of those countries to study in. At least you'll get a medical degree at the end of 5 or 6 years. In the US you spend 4 years, typically earning a bachelor of science in biology or chemistry or a related field, which is essentially worthless.

Beat the system. Go abroad!

There is no "system" to "beat" in this part of the world and your misguided notions are more than likely not practically achievable for somebody without significant financial resources.

Oh and if it makes you feel any better all Flexner advocated for was two years of pre-medical study not a Bachelors Degree but somehow the two got confused

There is no "system" to "beat" in this part of the world and your misguided notions are more than likely not practically achievable for somebody without significant financial resources.

Oh and if it makes you feel any better all Flexner advocated for was two years of pre-medical study not a Bachelors Degree but somehow the two got confused

I meant beating the system in the US & Canada with requires a bachelors degree prior to medical school. A bachelors + med school cost most people at least $300,000. But it could cost significantly more.

It's a bogus requirement in N America. It's designed to keep poor people out of medical school. I think the 5 & 6 year medical programs are a far better use of resources.

I spent $120,000 on an undergraduate degree (not factoring in living costs) and I can't even get a job with it. But I needed it as a prereq for med school.

It's a bogus requirement in N America. It's designed to keep poor people out of medical school. I think the 5 & 6 year medical programs are a far better use of resources

Considering Flexner only advocated for two years of pre-medical education yes, it is and I strongly disagree with the "graduate entry" medical model.

Never heard of anyone doing this. Not to say that it can't be done, but my guess is that it will be difficult.

The big question is: What's your citizenship?

If you are a Canadian or US citizen my guess is that you would have a better chance of transferring to that country.

It might come down to applying for a N American medical school and start off as a 1st yr student would be your best bet.

It's a bogus requirement in N America. It's designed to keep poor people out of medical school. I think the 5 & 6 year medical programs are a far better use of resources.
I spent $120,000 on an undergraduate degree (not factoring in living costs) and I can't even get a job with it. But I needed it as a prereq for med school.

hm. It's a difference in educational philosophy is all it is. Coming from that system, I take my family's view that uni (American college, in the liberal arts tradition) is an extension of primary education -- the value of the education is not that you're prepared for a trade, but that you're well-grounded and well-rounded, able to adapt and integrate your experiences and strengths into whatever field(s) you pursue. My bro with a physics degree the writer of the top Fidelity financial newsletter; sister with a BA in art history, manager at a multi-national shipping company; me with math, a former Wall Street IT consultant and behavioral psych researcher, now a doc; etc..

I also went to college with practically no money -- there is no reason an intelligent person (or even a motivated not-so-intelligent person) with little or no money can't figure out how to pay for college, between grants, loans, scholarships, and work-study arrangements (at one point I got half-time enrollment for free just because I worked for my uni half-time). Sure, any debt will have to be paid later, but for this current discussion about medical school, that future debt is moot.

Even if you consider a biochem/bio/chem degree virtually useless (which view I really can't empathize with), there's also no reason you have to get one of those degrees. In fact, getting one will put you at a disadvantage come application time for most US med schools. The nature of American undergrad degrees, by having many electives and cross-disciplinary options in their requirements, either requires or IMO easily allows for the premed courses (physics, English, bio, inorganic chem, organic chem) to be taken along the way. Worst case, a grad has to take a separate class or two before applying to medicine -- I have a math degree and took 2nd semester inorganic chem (not even required by many med schools) at Tufts, after taking the MCAT which doesn't really test on it, when making just 22k per year (albeit in the '90s) as a lowly researcher.

At any rate, your view of undergrad degrees seems a bit parochial -- did you grow up outside the US? There, if you want to be hard-wired for a trade, you go to trade school. If you want to be in a cross-disciplinary field that requires intellectual curiosity -- not to mention some sense of what's generally defined as altruism -- you need to demonstrate that you're covered (some specific requirements if not to show a quasi-standardized ability in related fields; an undergrad degree, ideally unrelated; research experience and propensity for volunteerism to show the better schools; an ability and willingness to teach a big plus; etc.)

Last edited:
Bump.

The OP's question is about transferring into an American medical school from an Australian one. Does anyone have specific information on / experience with this process?

I would guess that it's possible for sure. There's always an attrition rate for second-year classes. A strong USMLE score might be a requested application variable.

Bump.

The OP's question is about transferring into an American medical school from an Australian one. Does anyone have specific information on / experience with this process?

I would guess that it's possible for sure. There's always an attrition rate for second-year classes. A strong USMLE score might be a requested application variable.

It is damn near impossible to transfer to any US medical school from ANY medical school - even another US school. It is done on a VERY selective case by case basis. Many schools these days don't accept ANY transfers of any kind for ANY reason. Many more don't accept international transfers.

I actually looked into this at about a dozen schools, primarily in California but in Chicago, NY, DC, and Mass. Each one gave an unequivocal NFW just to the concept of a transfer, let alone where I was transferring from.

Also, the graduate model of medical education is poorly implemented, but very important. Clinical medicine is going down ridiculous paths with all this CAM and "integrative medicine" bull**** because people don't have a solid foundation in science and being a scientist. They don't understand how we know what we do, they don't understand the underlying principles of complex biology, and they can't even begin to understand why bad studies are bad. That is because getting an undergrad degree has become a joke these days and because you can get into med school with a sociology degree and some pre-reqs.

People think a study on reiki for critical ICU patients is a legitimate medical research project. Anyone who undertook a serious undergrad degree and actually applied themselves would see how ****ing ludicrous that is.

The amount of knowledge required to be a great physician is staggering and 4 years + residency really isn't enough. What gets generated from that model (and from undergrad entry models) is a bunch of highly trained mechanics who fancy themselves smart doctors but really are just aping what the real medical scientists have tediously learned and bestowed upon them. Not everyone needs to be such a medical scientist, but having a really solid undergrad foundation in the basic sciences would at least generate some humility and understanding - which would prevent charlatans, quacks, and downright idiots like Dr. Oz, Deepak Chopra, Andrew Weil, and Dean Ornish from having a medical degree to sully.

So yes, undergrad (and medical education) are outrageously expensive and indeed poorly implemented. The solution is not to further cheapen (both literally and figuratively) the education of doctors by nixing undergrad. It is to fix the system, provide real education, and provide it at a fair cost accessible to everyone.

Mate, I don't mean to blunt or seem rude but I don't think you quite get the massive logistical and financial impracticality of what you propose. As somebody who has spent four out of the last six years in the US let me try to help you.

Can pay several hundred thousand dollars international tuition fees plus living expenses without any HECS/FEE-HELP, Abstudy or Austudy or other such program?

Medical school in the US is already ridiculously competitive as it is and being admitted as an international student is slim and with advance standing is not going to happen.

It's impossible so start looking at electives you can undertake during one of your clinical years in the US or if you should have a spare couple hundred thousand dollars laying around look at a school that will admit you as a student but you'd have to start all over again.

Mate, I don't mean to blunt or seem rude but I don't think you quite get the massive logistical and financial impracticality of what you propose. As somebody who has spent four out of the last six years in the US let me try to help you.

Can pay several hundred thousand dollars international tuition fees plus living expenses without any HECS/FEE-HELP, Abstudy or Austudy or other such program?

Medical school in the US is already ridiculously competitive as it is and being admitted as an international student is slim and with advance standing is not going to happen.

It's impossible so start looking at electives you can undertake during one of your clinical years in the US or if you should have a spare couple hundred thousand dollars laying around look at a school that will admit you as a student but you'd have to start all over again.

Rotors, transferring out of the UQ program was not something I had ever considered, nor would let alone prefer, but thank you for the derogatory follow-up.

Rotors, transferring out of the UQ program was not something I had ever considered, nor would let alone prefer, but thank you for the derogatory follow-up.

Excuse me, I thought you were asking about doing it as well.

Ah, I see you interpreted my being to-the-point as being rude; talking to people on teh internetz for the win! The person who wants to this is likely to invest significant time and energy and possibly money into this venture and fall flat on his face so it's best he gets his noggin around the concept it's not going to happen up front rather than invest something (even if it's only effort) and get nowhere.