Australian Medical School Entry 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureMD99

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m making this thread for international students that are applying to medical school in Australia for 2023! I’m a canadian applicant that graduated in 2021 winter term!

My stats:

cgpa: 3.23
wgpa: 3.61
MCAT: still pending (writing in jan)

I plan on applying to Griffith, Melbourne, Deakin, flinders, Macquarie, UWA, and Sydney through Oztrekk.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck with the MCAT!!

Just wanted to ask, have you considered UQ? If your long term plan is to return to Canada, then UQ might be the best option since they have the largest Canadian cohort. If you want to stay in Australia then it doesn't matter as much.

Thank you!!! I looked at UQ but I’m missing one of the prerequisites. I completed cell bio in my undergrad but I didn’t take a physiology course. Are you aware of how strict they are with the prerequisites?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!!! I looked at UQ but I’m missing one of the prerequisites. I completed cell bio in my undergrad but I didn’t take a physiology course. Are you aware of how strict they are with the prerequisites?
You could take the course now.

That's true. You can also take a look at approved prerequisites here: https://medicine.uq.edu.au/files/65547/MD-Prerequisite-Tables-International.pdf

I can understand not wanting to take a prerequisite when it only opens up one school for you, but at the same time it might be worth it for UQ. Depends on your specific situation though, something to consider!
Do you know if they allow one of the prerequisites to still be in progress upon application? Really love Queensland's program and am aiming to apply.

Do you know if they allow one of the prerequisites to still be in progress upon application? Really love Queensland's program and am aiming to apply.
I don't know. I would send an email to the student enquiries email box and I'm sure they'll be able to help you out!

I don't know. I would send an email to the student enquiries email box and I'm sure they'll be able to help you out!
Will do thanks! Also as a US citizen do you know which schools accept private loans from lenders like Sallie Mae. I know that Queensland and Flinders accept gov loans but was wondering why other universities would not even accept private?

Go to Sallie Mae, apply for loan, click Student, click Graduate or advanced degree, click MD, and select Outside the US for State. You'll be able to enter in a school and see if they work with Sallie Mae. Not all of them do because it's up to the school to commence a relationship with Sallie Mae specifically for medical school, and most medical schools other than UQ have very few US citizens so don't even bother with the paperwork.

As a US citizen IMO you really should be applying to UQ-Ochsner unless you're 100% certain you want to emigrate to Australia. UQ-Ochsner will set you up to continue training in either the US or Australia, whereas UQ traditional or any of the other medical schools will not set you up nearly as well to return to the US if you decide that's what you want to do.

Go to Sallie Mae, apply for loan, click Student, click Graduate or advanced degree, click MD, and select Outside the US for State. You'll be able to enter in a school and see if they work with Sallie Mae. Not all of them do because it's up to the school to commence a relationship with Sallie Mae specifically for medical school, and most medical schools other than UQ have very few US citizens so don't even bother with the paperwork.

As a US citizen IMO you really should be applying to UQ-Ochsner unless you're 100% certain you want to emigrate to Australia. UQ-Ochsner will set you up to continue training in either the US or Australia, whereas UQ traditional or any of the other medical schools will not set you up nearly as well to return to the US if you decide that's what you want to do.
Merry Christmas! And thanks for this advice it helps me out a lot and I really appreciate it. I'm definitely looking into UQ Ochsner as an option, however I am actually more interested in emigrating to Australia like you said so I'd prefer to do my clinical years in their medical system. Although, I'm not counting out a return back to the States.

Merry Christmas! And thanks for this advice it helps me out a lot and I really appreciate it. I'm definitely looking into UQ Ochsner as an option, however I am actually more interested in emigrating to Australia like you said so I'd prefer to do my clinical years in their medical system. Although, I'm not counting out a return back to the States.
Merry Christmas to you too :)

I think that's a fair point. Keep in mind that Australian training is longer overall and clinical years are generally seen as much less hands off and less intense in Australia than in the US, probably because you don't have to choose a specialty by the time you graduate. My speculative reading of that fact is that the transition to an Australian intern year from Ochsner would be smoother than to an American intern year from UQ. If and how much that matters to you is up to you, just wanted to put it out there.

I'm happy to answer any other questions! It's also a good idea to try to get more advice from someone who's actually gone down the path of emigrating to Australia as I'm most familiar with the UQ-Ochsner program. Good luck!

Merry Christmas to you too :)

I think that's a fair point. Keep in mind that Australian training is longer overall and clinical years are generally seen as much less hands off and less intense in Australia than in the US, probably because you don't have to choose a specialty by the time you graduate. My speculative reading of that fact is that the transition to an Australian intern year from Ochsner would be smoother than to an American intern year from UQ. If and how much that matters to you is up to you, just wanted to put it out there.

I'm happy to answer any other questions! It's also a good idea to try to get more advice from someone who's actually gone down the path of emigrating to Australia as I'm most familiar with the UQ-Ochsner program. Good luck!
Think I will likely apply to both programs and see where I go from there! Thanks again

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, does anyone know what the application start/end dates are for the different medical schools? Or even a general idea overall?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I know it's still early, but here are some stats from last year cohort that applied through Oztrekk.
I hope this will give you an idea of GPA/MCAT you need to get to receive an interview/offer. Keep in mind that last year application pool was way larger, hence more competitive. It might change or remain the same this year. Anyway, all the best.

Anyone on here received an II from UQ yet? I saw that some of the Ochsner students received them, just checking into see if anyone else has!

Applied to Melbourne (3.83 GPA, 503 MCAT), OzTREKK refused to submit for me bc my mcat is too low lol. 2021 entry had a much lower mcat so whatever we'll see what happens. Only school I'm applying to.

you should have oztrekk ask UQ to evaluate your transcript. i thought some of my courses wouldn’t count but UQ actually approved them :)

Hi best of luck on your application you have an awesome GPA! I think the reason Oztrekk didn’t submit your app is because Melbourne is indeed very competitive. Furthermore, if you look at the Oztrekk admission stats the average admitted MCAT to U Melb (via Oztrekk) is a 515. However, there are other programs like Monash that don’t require MCAT or don’t emphasize it as much. If you hit an 123 in each section you may also want to have a look at Flinders.
University of Melbourne MD lowest mcat offer was 506 with 515 being the avg :)

Last edited:
Applied to Melbourne (3.83 GPA, 503 MCAT), OzTREKK refused to submit for me bc my mcat is too low lol. 2021 entry had a much lower mcat so whatever we'll see what happens. Only school I'm applying to.
why not apply to all the other md programs? you’ve got a great GPA and an mcat good for Flinders, Deakin, Griffith, Macquarie, UWA

why not apply to all the other md programs? you’ve got a great GPA and an mcat good for Flinders, Deakin, Griffith, Macquarie, UWA
Don't know how many US students are there/can't find any data so I didn't apply.

thoughts on why flinders is making 170 offers if only 35 actual seats?
There could be a few reasons. Many Canadian students seem to prefer schools like UQ because of the large international cohort and the additional support that comes with that. Flinders also requires a much larger deposit which could be a barrier to more folks accepting. It could also just be that they prefer to put all of their offers out at once and rely more on the order in which applicants accept offers than other schools, which would make sense because the program did fill pretty early. It could be something else entirely though!

Don't know how many US students are there/can't find any data so I didn't apply.
If you’re from the US you should apply to the Oshner program at UQ. Its all US students. But in general yes there’s more Canadians in Australian programs. But the number of US students shouldn’t keep you from applying to other schools.

thoughts on why flinders is making 170 offers if only 35 actual seats?
its because they know other schools are more popular than them, so they know they‘ll lose more people to other programs whose offers come out later in the Fall. Its also because they make extra money that way. They have a 23K deposit, and people pay it to secure their spot so they at least have somewhere to go to med school, but then change when they’re offered a spot somewhere they might like better. Cause then they get to keep about 12K of the deposit, so they make a lot of money just from the withdrawal penalties.

There could be a few reasons. Many Canadian students seem to prefer schools like UQ because of the large international cohort and the additional support that comes with that. Flinders also requires a much larger deposit which could be a barrier to more folks accepting. It could also just be that they prefer to put all of their offers out at once and rely more on the order in which applicants accept offers than other schools, which would make sense because the program did fill pretty early. It could be something else entirely though!
the program only filled early last year due to covid and them deferring the spots from 2020 to 2021! this year it should hopefully not fill as fast.

I think there was a Canadian student in premedcanada advising against going to UQ if you have other australian options. Does anyone have any other insights on the school? I am considering UQ, melbourne, sydney, and Monash. Which one is the best for returning to Canada but still solid for australia in case you decide to stay there? Any information/opinions are appreciated!

Any Canadian students planning to join UQ in 2023? I am going. Trying to gather contacts.

Any Canadian students planning to join UQ in 2023? I am going. Trying to gather contacts.
Hi! I'm currently applying to UQ for the 2023 intake! I'm an international too but i'm not from Canada!

I think there was a Canadian student in premedcanada advising against going to UQ if you have other australian options. Does anyone have any other insights on the school? I am considering UQ, melbourne, sydney, and Monash. Which one is the best for returning to Canada but still solid for australia in case you decide to stay there? Any information/opinions are appreciated!
Australia designates internships based on a priority list. The state of Victoria (Melbourne, Monash, Deakin) give internationals 2nd priority. All other states have internationals as 3rd, 4th or 5th priority. So something to keep in mind if you still want to keep Aus as an option for residency. None are better than others for coming back. You have to set up canadian rotations yourself, none of the schools do it for you. But just some schools have larger class sizes and therefore more people who have gone through the experience. But large class sizes in medical school isn’t always the best thing either. UQ is the only school who publicly discloses how many people got internships and where they went (Aus or Canada) and in what speciality.

Australia designates internships based on a priority list. The state of Victoria (Melbourne, Monash, Deakin) give internationals 2nd priority. All other states have internationals as 3rd, 4th or 5th priority. So something to keep in mind if you still want to keep Aus as an option for residency. None are better than others for coming back. You have to set up canadian rotations yourself, none of the schools do it for you. But just some schools have larger class sizes and therefore more people who have gone through the experience. But large class sizes in medical school isn’t always the best thing either. UQ is the only school who publicly discloses how many people got internships and where they went (Aus or Canada) and in what speciality.
Awesome, thanks for the informative post. I wondered what the priority is specifically for UWA, UQ, and sydney graduates.

IMO and speaking w grads from other programs these schools are all roughly the same. I'm not sure any of them are "better" than the others. UQ has the advantage of having a lot of Canadians which is helpful in making study groups for Canadian exams and getting advice on returning to Canada from prior grads/current students. No one I know has had issues with staying in Australia if thats what they wanted after graduating.

Reactions: 2 users
Some programs have already done interviews and sent out offers as well like Macquarie, Deakin & Flinders :) But yeah we’re entering the busiest time of the app season
Sorry, I am so focused on UQ. They officially are sending out interview invites this month! Dying for an invite!

is there a reason you’re so solely focused on UQ? is it because there’s just more Canadians there?
Just the top of my list, and I had to pass up an opportunity to attend last year. REALLY hoping I get a second chance because the only reason i didn't attend was due to COVID immigration issues.

Nope! My invite last year was the last week of June. I guess they stick pretty firmly to the same schedule.

Nope! My invite last year was the last week of June. I guess they stick pretty firmly to the same schedule.
Learned and felt sorry 'bout your story of having to pass UQ for pandemic stuff... Thx for the info about the date, best luck!

Anyone heard from UQ? Invites were supposed to go out in June, but I haven't seen any movement online anywhere

Hi, I would like to ask if anyone else also applied to ANU MChD program or is currently studying in ANU medicine? Would like to know more about the school like school culture and education quality etc. !:)

Last edited: