TOUROCOM-NY Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if the school is available for tours/viewing yet??

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed Obed about that the other day. He said as soon as he gets the go ahead from the higher ups we can visit the place. It should be done this month.

hey anyone know an update on waitlisters? are there a lot of people waitlisted?? how good do you think the chances are of getting in? have any waitlisters been accepted yet?

grr....i hate waiting....

Members don't see this ad :)
hey anyone know an update on waitlisters? are there a lot of people waitlisted?? how good do you think the chances are of getting in? have any waitlisters been accepted yet?

grr....i hate waiting....

you and me both pal. I know a whole bunch of people just on SDN who are waitlisted, and this in no way constitutes the applicant pool, so I'm pretty sure about as many people who are accepted also get waitlisted. Now the question is, who gets off of it :confused:

you and me both pal. I know a whole bunch of people just on SDN who are waitlisted, and this in no way constitutes the applicant pool, so I'm pretty sure about as many people who are accepted also get waitlisted. Now the question is, who gets off of it :confused:

At my interview (3/27) I could swear that Mr. Figueroa said there was something like 70 confirmed acceptances and something on the order of 90 waitlisters. There are 3 levels of waitlist - high medium and low. I think you can call or email Mr. Figueroa to see which one you may be. Hope this helps!

After riding the subway last night, I noticed this ad:
http://www.dmx.touro.edu/

There is also a Touro University International which is an online school.
www.tourou.edu

Is this the same touro? It seems trade schoolish.

After looking at www.touro.edu, I noticed that www.tourou.edu IS part of the same program.

This link shows all of the undergrad programs offered all around the country. I didn't realize that there were so many.
http://www.touro.edu/general/undergraduate.asp

After looking at www.touro.edu, I noticed that www.tourou.edu IS part of the same program.

This link shows all of the undergrad programs offered all around the country. I didn't realize that there were so many.
http://www.touro.edu/general/undergraduate.asp

It Is part of Touro College. I actually passed by the Touro International School building about 3 weeks ago. It's located here in Southern California. It's a giant building and it looks like it shares it with other firms and companies in the building. i think it was sharing the building with mitsubishi.

I agree, it DOES seem like a bit trade school like...

Touro has many many many many schools all over the US. 3 Osteopathic schools as of now, they have a law school, pharmacy, nursing, undergrads etc...... This online one is new to me. But I wouldn't be concerned about it. A lot of 4 yr colleges have online programs now too. I know people who took online classes undergrad at reputable universities, and from my understand all Touro's are separate entities run separately. E.G we cannot use the facilities of another Touro school because they are considered separate from ours.

Does anyone know if it is ok for us to send more than three letters of recommendation along with our secondary? I've been trying to get in touch with Mr. Figueroa about this but I havn't been able to get a response from him.
-thanks

At my interview (3/27) I could swear that Mr. Figueroa said there was something like 70 confirmed acceptances and something on the order of 90 waitlisters. There are 3 levels of waitlist - high medium and low. I think you can call or email Mr. Figueroa to see which one you may be. Hope this helps!

any idea on how many they have in each waitlist level?

i've got my fingers crossed for you amathew!!

Hey Everyone,

Tons of good information in this thread, thanks. I had a few questions, don't expect anyone to answer them all.

Is anyone interviewing April 11th?

Any extra advice for a first timer or particularly for TOURONY? I have checked out the interview feedback, but there were only a handful of people who filled it out.

Are the interviews closed or open file? I've heard both answers and I'm particularly interested because I'm coming from further away and my LOR was from an MD... so I think the emphasis on "Why DO?" and "Why Harlem?" may be greater if it is open.

Thanks and good luck to everyone still working through this admissions cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on the 21st of March at tourocom. I got an email from financial aid today saying:

Dear Students,

Congratulations on your acceptance into Touro's College of Osteopathic Medicine. I have attached the estimated cost of attendance and information regarding housng. In the weeks to follow you will recieve a Financial Aid Package with all the additional information needed to apply for your loans. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so please complete the FAFSA online. If you have any questions feel free to call or email me.

[]

Can anyone post the estimated cost of attendance they figured for NY? I was part of one of the earliest groups of students that got in and never received that specific breakdown. When I interviewed, they were using the exact numbers from Mare Island in their cost breakdown sheet...I'd like to see if they updated it. Thanks

Any extra advice for a first timer or particularly for TOURONY? I have checked out the interview feedback, but there were only a handful of people who filled it out.

Are the interviews closed or open file? I've heard both answers and I'm particularly interested because I'm coming from further away and my LOR was from an MD... so I think the emphasis on "Why DO?" and "Why Harlem?" may be greater if it is open.

My interview was one of the early batches, so I don't know if it has changed much.
It was closed file. The important questions were "Y DO?", "What specialty do you plan on pursuing?" (I got the feeling they want primary care), "Where do you plan to practice?" (They hope you stay in the area). They also asked about research and if you thought it was important. My interviewers kept stressing the fact that it was a new school and that the curriculum would be very difficult compared to more established schools and they just wanted to make sure that you possessed the dedication and commitment for it.

Can anyone post the estimated cost of attendance they figured for NY? I was part of one of the earliest groups of students that got in and never received that specific breakdown. When I interviewed, they were using the exact numbers from Mare Island in their cost breakdown sheet...I'd like to see if they updated it. Thanks

Heya!

Tuition/Fees - 31,125
Books/Supplies/Laptop/Med. Eq. - 5,442
Room/Board - 18,000
Personal - 2,280
Transportation - 2,157

Total - 59,004

We were told the tuition would stay the same for all 4 years. Not sure if that will stay true :)

did anyone else not get a ranking (low, medium, high) for their waitlist? I received a snail mail a while ago and i just checked to see if it had anything specific, but all it says is waitlist. anyone else?

did anyone else not get a ranking (low, medium, high) for their waitlist? I received a snail mail a while ago and i just checked to see if it had anything specific, but all it says is waitlist. anyone else?

What did your email say when you received it? That you were waitlisted...no high, medium, or low?

Mr. Figueroa mentioned that they do not currently note the waitlist level, but he may start adding that information in the near future. You could probably email or call him to ask about your status.

Mr. Figueroa mentioned that they do not currently note the waitlist level, but he may start adding that information in the near future. You could probably email or call him to ask about your status.

thanks. I think im gonna do just that. Oh and I didn't get an email, it came in regular mail, and it just said "pleased to inform that you're on the WAITLIST" I remember my mom going, like thats something to be pleased about :(

I was just reading your posts and I thought I should shed some light. By the way congrats to all those accepted and going I'll see you this fall. And to those waitlisted I hope I get to see you as well. I just wanted to clear up a misconception... they did waitlist people from the first rounds of interview they just didn't post on sdn. I know because I interviewed on 2/14 and there were ppl who contacted me privately to say they got waitlisted... so they have been doing it all along. I don't know if they are doing it more so now then before, but they have. Good luck to all of you keep up the hope, you are all fighters and you'll achieve your goal one way or another.:)

Do you know if the people you have talked to that were waitlisted...if they told you if they were high, med, or low...or were they just told they were waitlisted? Thanks!

:thumbup: thanks!
Heya!

Tuition/Fees - 31,125
Books/Supplies/Laptop/Med. Eq. - 5,442
Room/Board - 18,000
Personal - 2,280
Transportation - 2,157

Total - 59,004

We were told the tuition would stay the same for all 4 years. Not sure if that will stay true :)[/QUOTE

Do you know if the people you have talked to that were waitlisted...if they told you if they were high, med, or low...or were they just told they were waitlisted? Thanks!

I was told that I was just Wait-listed through email. I was never given the status of my rank. I didn't even know there was even a rank. I'm gonna try to call tomorrow and find out....

Hey All,

Congrats to those who are accepted and good luck to those waitlisted. Quick question:

How long after you sent in your secondary were you interviewed?

Thanks!

Hey All,

Congrats to those who are accepted and good luck to those waitlisted. Quick question:

How long after you sent in your secondary were you interviewed?

Thanks!

About 3 weeks for me.

Does anyone know if there is a list of the faculty floating around yet?

Hey guys,
I just have a quick question: did you find out about getting an interview through snail mail or e-mail?
Thanks

good luck to all

Hey guys,
I just have a quick question: did you find out about getting an interview through snail mail or e-mail?
Thanks

good luck to all

I got mine through email.

i got the invite via email as well

I interviewed on 3/27 and got put on the Wait List-High. I emailed Mr. Figueroa yesterday to ask if there was any movement on the Wait List and I got an "out of office" reply saying he was at a conference until the 11th. But the email also said that 73 of the 125 seats have been filled.

anybody have an idea how many people they're accepting with each interview date...do you think all 73 seats are confirmed for the fall class or do you think some of them will go somewhere else?

can you tell...i'm horrible at waiting!!

anybody have an idea how many people they're accepting with each interview date...do you think all 73 seats are confirmed for the fall class or do you think some of them will go somewhere else?

Those 73 paid the $2000 deposit. However, I'm sure there will be some that decide on other schools as the season progresses and waitlists move. Best of luck!

I agree, the waiting is the most difficult part of the admissions process!

Sorry, I don't know how they are doing the waitlist, or if the people I know that got waitlisted got a low, medium, or high ranking. If I hear anything. I'll def post on sdn. Goodluck

Thanks guys for all your help. Hopefully we'll get some answers soon since the staff is back from the Jewish holidays.

My interview was one of the early batches, so I don't know if it has changed much.
It was closed file. The important questions were "Y DO?", "What specialty do you plan on pursuing?" (I got the feeling they want primary care), "Where do you plan to practice?" (They hope you stay in the area). They also asked about research and if you thought it was important. My interviewers kept stressing the fact that it was a new school and that the curriculum would be very difficult compared to more established schools and they just wanted to make sure that you possessed the dedication and commitment for it.

A note about the primary care thing for those who have yet to interview...Yes, ideally they'd give you the impression that *type* of response is what fits their mission statement, however, if you think carefully about how your interests parallel those of a school focusing on urban medicine, your answer can actually be something other than "family practice."
I, for example, told my interviewers that psych was a major interest for me (yea, we're already talking about a stretch from OMM)...Then they asked, "but what would interest you within psych?" And I told them addiction medicine (major urban issue) or geriatric psych (hot topic of public policy with regard to our aging population)...So definitely don't feel pressured to say you want to be a general practicioner if that's not what you're leaning toward. But like I say, make sure your interests tie in with that of the school's focus. Of course we all know these interests will change a bunch of times over the course of our clinical years!

Hey guys,

I posted this question before and i've been trying to get in touch with Obed for an answer but I'm gonna ask again.

Are we allowed to send more than 3 letters of rec along with our secondary? Did anyone else send more than 3 letters?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks

my premed committee sent a packet with their cover letter, and then a letter from 2 profs and my on campus boss...and then i sent a letter from a physician/grad prof separately

Hey guys,

I posted this question before and i've been trying to get in touch with Obed for an answer but I'm gonna ask again.

Are we allowed to send more than 3 letters of rec along with our secondary? Did anyone else send more than 3 letters?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks

yes, that's a min. requirement. I had a pre-health committee organize my file but I had 2 DO letters, 5 Professors, and 1 MD.

Hey guys,

I appreciate any input.

Thanks

I know for a fact that I sent in more than 3, just not sure if it was 4 or 5!:laugh: (and I'm in, so don't sweat it if you think adding extra letters will help give them a well-rounded idea of who you are)

Do you guys think sending in a letter of recommendation will help waitlisters?

Do you guys think sending in a letter of recommendation will help waitlisters?

I was waitlisted for Touro - MI and my response letter says that additional LOR's, shadowing, volunteering, better MCAT scores, and updated grades and classes can strengthen my application.

well, I'm all excited...Just got email for an interview invite. Yeaa. Wish I had got on the ball sooner with this school. 90 on the waitlist?? with only 40-50 seats left...huummm. Guess I'll send the weekend reading this thread from end to end. already seen some good advice for interview. I have a 28-O, and lots of clinicals but my gpa is weeaakkk. Oh well, do my best and pray my arse off. Hellpppp

well, I'm all excited...Just got email for an interview invite. Yeaa. Wish I had got on the ball sooner with this school. 90 on the waitlist?? with only 40-50 seats left...huummm. Guess I'll send the weekend reading this thread from end to end. already seen some good advice for interview. I have a 28-O, and lots of clinicals but my gpa is weeaakkk. Oh well, do my best and pray my arse off. Hellpppp

Good luck, man! Always think positive. :thumbup:

Hey Everyone,

Tons of good information in this thread, thanks. I had a few questions, don't expect anyone to answer them all.

Is anyone interviewing April 11th?

Yeah I'll be there.. I'd be interested in hearing from you before then.

Yeah I'll be there.. I'd be interested in hearing from you before then.

Grimmie,

When I interviewed the interview was closed file. And basically the ONLY questions they asked me were ...

1 - Why osteopathic?

2 - Why urban medicine / harlem?

3 - What specific field of medicine and why?

Good luck!

Does anyone know if there is a possibility the Tourocom may not receive accreditation after the first year? Or if there is any risk at all related to a new school not receiving accreditation and possibly that the students are stuck with the bill?

Does anyone know if there is a possibility the Tourocom may not receive accreditation after the first year? Or if there is any risk at all related to a new school not receiving accreditation and possibly that the students are stuck with the bill?

Actually, I think they are up for accreditation in 4 years with the graduation of the class of 2011 :) Right now they are provisional.