TOUROCOM-NY Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clement

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Some of us got that Email today...I'm in:D
Thoughts and feelings? Pros and cons? Deposits down elsewhere? Interviews on the horizon?
Let's write it out...

PS: I'm in at MI, waitlisted in LV...I'm in love with the program...
My main concerns however, are housing and long term stuff like having the option to practice in CA if I should decide...Anyone have their 2 cents on practicing in NY versus CA? Guess that depends on where in CA and where in NY (i.e. NYC)...During our interview they stressed how much of shortage of healthcare the city itself has (all the while rich areas like Great Neck and Short Hills have plenty of docs)..

PS 2: Did anyone ask during their interview how long an avg day would be? I know Mare Island is making it so that classes end around 2, Nevada is still going til 4ish...
I'd love 2 see a move toward getting things online (ehem less mandatory attendance) and shorter days, but that doesn't usually happen til schools are older:laugh: and people get lazier! Someone made a good point about the possibility of the curriculum potentially starting out as *super tough* so that pass rates would be initially high as the school establishes itself, is this the norm?

Members don't see this ad.

Touro is my first acceptance, and although I'm waiting on the results of my interview at Drexel, I'm strongly leaning towards Touro both because I really want to be in NYC for personal & professional reasons and I really like its emphasis on urban medicine.

I remember hearing that our days would end around 2, so I guess it's similar to Touro-MI.

As for housing, I've been finding my own places to live for the 8 years, so this would be nothing new. I'm nearly 27 and really do not want to do any dorm-style living arrangment. Plus, based on the pricing list that Obed gave us for potential housing and the prices of apartments in the Harlem area, it's actually a better deal to get your own place.

In terms of where you want to practice, from what I can tell it does not matter whatsoever where you attend medical school. Residency doesn't even matter completely (although I've heard it helps to do residency where you want to practice so that you can make connections). I've had several friends go to med school out of state (2 in OH, 1 in NY) who are now doing their residencies in CA. I'm from CA and I might want to go back one day, but I'm not worried about Touro-NY closing any doors. As long as we do well on our boards, do well in class, and get strong recommendations, I think we'll be in the same position as some in any other med school.

I would've liked Touro to have more things online, but you're right -- that's something that comes with time. They did seem very open to our suggestions, so it sounds like being vocal about those things will be helpful. I also would have preferred a more problem-based, smaller-group curriculum, but that's also a lot to ask for a brand new school.

Regardless, I'm super excited. Congrats to clement and everyone else who got in!!

Touro is my first acceptance, and although I'm waiting on the results of my interview at Drexel, I'm strongly leaning towards Touro both because I really want to be in NYC for personal & professional reasons and I really like its emphasis on urban medicine.

I remember hearing that our days would end around 2, so I guess it's similar to Touro-MI.

As for housing, I've been finding my own places to live for the 8 years, so this would be nothing new. I'm nearly 27 and really do not want to do any dorm-style living arrangment. Plus, based on the pricing list that Obed gave us for potential housing and the prices of apartments in the Harlem area, it's actually a better deal to get your own place.

In terms of where you want to practice, from what I can tell it does not matter whatsoever where you attend medical school. Residency doesn't even matter completely (although I've heard it helps to do residency where you want to practice so that you can make connections). I've had several friends go to med school out of state (2 in OH, 1 in NY) who are now doing their residencies in CA. I'm from CA and I might want to go back one day, but I'm not worried about Touro-NY closing any doors. As long as we do well on our boards, do well in class, and get strong recommendations, I think we'll be in the same position as some in any other med school.

I would've liked Touro to have more things online, but you're right -- that's something that comes with time. They did seem very open to our suggestions, so it sounds like being vocal about those things will be helpful. I also would have preferred a more problem-based, smaller-group curriculum, but that's also a lot to ask for a brand new school.

Regardless, I'm super excited. Congrats to clement and everyone else who got in!!

My thoughts exactly! Good to know about the 2 PM thing! Yes, they seemed VERY open to suggestions and I did bring up online stuff and paying close attention to the length of our classes.
Well, I hear you about dorms, as I'm in the same age category as you and don't see myself dorming it out...There are a fair amount of more reasonable options for housing as you get away from the area, however, I think I'd be restricted by the subway routes (more specifically, the red line)...

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats to everyone :thumbup:
rotations & residency placement is a big factor for me.
I am still trying to research on how other TOUROs did..

overall, the NYC location is amazing.
New facilities & equipment is also a plus.
In addition, all the interviewees seemed down to earth and relatively chill.
Its going to be fun regardless.

$2000 deposit within 14days huh..
man o man.. decisions decisions!

To those who are accepted when did you interview. I interviewed on the 31st and I havent heard from them. Starting to get worried that Im rejected.

We should definitely put our thoughts together and offer more suggestions about what we would like to see in the first year. I thought it was cool of them to actually ask for feedback during the interviews, but it also sorta threw me off guard. I guess at the time I felt like if I don't even know if I'm accepted, than I'm not sure what to say. Obviously that is different now. Shorter classes sound cool...as well as online stuff. But I could have sworn someone mentioned that they are going to have lectures posted online (could have heard wrong though).

They also mentioned possible shuttle service at night to take students back to their apts. That was a pretty good idea and I think we should push that more. Also, some others in my interview group suggested requesting discounts on gym memberships or having a gym, giving us our own lockers, and having our own school email address (which I thought all schools give out, but I guess touro does not). Anything else you can think of?

I know some schools give discounts on board prep programs. I thought this might be a good suggestion? Also, do you know if there will be a student lounge/lunch area in the building? I had this in grad school (which also was a new building) and thought that was a nice (but not necessary) plus.

yea they said the school will be open until 2am so the transportation system would be very essential.

I am excited to hear that the gym membership to NYSC will probably be discounted for us! That would be nice. and its just right around the corner.

however, I have having a very tough decision between unecom & touro-ny

We should definitely put our thoughts together and offer more suggestions about what we would like to see in the first year. I thought it was cool of them to actually ask for feedback during the interviews, but it also sorta threw me off guard. I guess at the time I felt like if I don't even know if I'm accepted, than I'm not sure what to say. Obviously that is different now. Shorter classes sound cool...as well as online stuff. But I could have sworn someone mentioned that they are going to have lectures posted online (could have heard wrong though).

They also mentioned possible shuttle service at night to take students back to their apts. That was a pretty good idea and I think we should push that more. Also, some others in my interview group suggested requesting discounts on gym memberships or having a gym, giving us our own lockers, and having our own school email address (which I thought all schools give out, but I guess touro does not). Anything else you can think of?

I know some schools give discounts on board prep programs. I thought this might be a good suggestion? Also, do you know if there will be a student lounge/lunch area in the building? I had this in grad school (which also was a new building) and thought that was a nice (but not necessary) plus.

great ideas! how about greatly reduced housing? do they provide any sort of housing?

I remember Obed saying that we would most likely get a discounted membership to NYSC, which is great since I think that's a pretty good gym.

It'd also be nice if we had some sort of forum or message board for people looking for roommates. I know that I want to get an apartment and it'd be nice to live with another student so that we're on a similar schedule!

Discounts on board prep programs would be great. I also hope they give us some time (2-4 weeks) before Step 1 to study and prepare.

There's definitely going to be a student lounge and it should be pretty nice. They said we can take a tour of the facilities in April when it's done.

How was the campus looking interview day?

I got my acceptance email today. i interviewed on 01/31/07. I also got into NYCOM and will be going there although I live down the street.

Stats:

26Q MCAT
3.3 GPA
Excellent research and clinical experience

:)

I got my acceptance email today. i interviewed on 01/31/07. I also got into NYCOM and will be going there although I live down the street.

Stats:

26Q MCAT
3.3 GPA

How long have you been living there/how's it been? Do you think there are any affordable housing options in the area? Still trying to figure out what's the best way to find housing in the area besides craigslist & friends of friends.
Several locals at my interview mentioned Westchester/Astoria, though I THINK that can get a little far...The upper westside is convenient as far as the subway goes, but $$$$$$$$$ as is all else i guess.

Stats:

26Q MCAT
3.3 GPA

congrats.
you will be going to nycom?

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who are accepted when did you interview. I interviewed on the 31st and I havent heard from them. Starting to get worried that Im rejected.

I got my acceptance yesterday via e-mail and also interviewed on the 31st. For those of you wondering about housing, I would consider living in Astoria. It's a short bus ride away and one of the more hip and sophisticated areas in Queens.
Rent still isn't cheap (a one bedroom apartment can go for around $1100).

I don't know if I believe some of the faculty there, but they said that the lectures would be streamed and accessible on the internet.

WOW!

Congrats to those of you who have been accepted!

I just got back from NYC. What an amazing school! I am definitely having second thoughts about where to go to school now. I think the main selling point for the school is the location and clinical experiences! Just to clarify, school days will be done by 2pm unless a lab is necessary. Dress code is still in the works --> they are leaning towards business casual. We would share Columbia's library and resources!!! I hope I receive good news in the next few days. I am speechless.

Mare Island or NYC???

WOW!

I just got back from NYC. What an amazing school! I am definitely having second thoughts about where to go to school now. I think the main selling point for the school is the location and clinical experiences! Just to clarify, school days will be done by 2pm unless a lab is necessary. Dress code is still in the works --> they are leaning towards business casual. We would share Columbia's library and resources!!! I hope I receive good news in the next few days. I am speechless.

Mare Island or NYC???

ahh damn, so Touro-NY is connected to Columbia? ... damn, I should have ponied up the dociento.

WOW!

Mare Island or NYC???

Hey there!
I'm in the same boat as you as far as Mare Island and Tourocom-NY (though I got my acceptance to Tourocom-NY yesterday:D )...
Was wondering, could you elaborate more on the library/resources thing you mentioned in collaboration w/ Columbia? The only reason I ask is because during my inteview, they kept emphasizing their planned use of one of the first ever approved exclusively virtual libraries (i.e. online) for a US medical school, etc...They didn't mention anything about sharing a library or resources w/ Columbia-
except possibly working something out for housing...I'm interested in knowing more about this...Thanks and good luck:luck:

Hey there!
I'm in the same boat as you as far as Mare Island and Tourocom-NY (though I got my acceptance to Tourocom-NY yesterday:D )...
Was wondering, could you elaborate more on the library/resources thing you mentioned in collaboration w/ Columbia? The only reason I ask is because during my inteview, they kept emphasizing their planned use of one of the first ever approved exclusively virtual libraries (i.e. online) for a US medical school, etc...They didn't mention anything about sharing a library or resources w/ Columbia-
except possibly working something out for housing...I'm interested in knowing more about this...Thanks and good luck:luck:

+12345
Would like to know more about the library thing.
Man.. finding housing in the city is an adventure of its own.

I am curious to know more about the clinical rotations for this school. Didnt they said most will be done at North general hospital?
or will we be going to all the different schools that were listed on the powerpoint pres.?

yea they said the school will be open until 2am so the transportation system would be very essential.

I am excited to hear that the gym membership to NYSC will probably be discounted for us! That would be nice. and its just right around the corner.

however, I have having a very tough decision between unecom & touro-ny

dont want to burst any bubbles but I have had various NYSC discounts before and they are prettty much avg for a NYC gym. Between 60-80 monthly depending on if you choose to use 1 facility as your main and use others off-peak or access alt. locations anytime

What are they doing abnout housing? Are they leasing apartments or dorms or is everyone on their own to find their own place. NYC is super expensive.

What are they doing abnout housing? Are they leasing apartments or dorms or is everyone on their own to find their own place. NYC is super expensive.

I would be looking at apts near the Columbia area..
Midtown/downtown apts are so expensive.

They said they are arranging housing at the YMCA and the Sheraton so that there is some other option. I was looking at the pricing list, however, and it's not really a better deal. If you want your own room, it could run up to $20,000/year. From what I can tell, 2-bedroom apartments go for no more than $2000/month in Harlem, so I think it's just a better idea (financially) to get your own apartment.

it seems you can find housing for around 1600-2000/mo for 2br. if you dont mind a place a bit away from the school

800-1000/person.. not too shabby.

That would be great if there is access to the Columbia libraries. As a recent columbia alum, this was another reason why I applied to Touro Harlem. The libraries aren't too far from the school, and I've never seen a better place to study. Definitely a HUGE plus if they can hook that up...

Just curious...is anyone else out there weak in the sciences? If so, I thought it might be a good idea to see if they have any plans at the school to address this issue. I know some schools offer a summer anatomy or biochem prep class. This is something I would definitely be interested in before getting overwhelmed with the first year.

They said they are arranging housing at the YMCA and the Sheraton so that there is some other option. I was looking at the pricing list, however, and it's not really a better deal. If you want your own room, it could run up to $20,000/year. From what I can tell, 2-bedroom apartments go for no more than $2000/month in Harlem, so I think it's just a better idea (financially) to get your own apartment.

Agreed...Getting a ballpark idea from Craiglist (which I detest), seems like your own room in a 2 bdrm w/someone else will avg around $1000...A tiny studio of your own (and I mean 400 sq ft-ish) seems to be do-able at around $1300 in the Harlem/Morningside Heights area... I'm trying to weigh out the benifits of living alone vs. roommates.

They did mention being in the PROCESS of negociating contracts w/ various sources, and that regardless, they would guarantee housing for all those accepted...WHAT kind of housing situation, is still in the air at this point in time...

It'd be amazing if they could work out apartment deals rather than hotel/dorm type deals (which seems like what they're initially leaning towards), since some of us are a little *older* than 21!!...

I'd like to convince them to cooperate w/ Columbia's housing dept or at least somehow help out those who want to live in an apartment on their own (i.e. some brokers offer broker fee discounts to students whose schools use their services for off-campus housing).

This is another problem, brokers charging upwards of $1000 to find you a place (again, craiglist is hideous for me, getting there with 5 people ahead of you sitting at the doorstep and then the renter taking advantage and playing pick 'n choose...I imagine the problem is even worse in NYC where people want to avoid broker fees!).

Yes, I remember them mentioning the Sheraton...Which one was it?

It'd be amazing if they could work out apartment deals rather than hotel/dorm type deals (which seems like what they're initially leaning towards), since some of us are a little *older* than 21!!...

Yes, I remember them mentioning the Sheraton...Which one was it?

Would they rent the Sheraton as an apartment building or charge day rates for a single bedroom and bathroom as a hotel?

I'd like to convince them to cooperate w/ Columbia's housing dept or at least somehow help out those who want to live in an apartment on their own (i.e. some brokers offer broker fee discounts to students whose schools use their services for off-campus housing).

This is another problem, brokers charging upwards of $1000 to find you a place (again, craiglist is hideous for me, getting there with 5 people ahead of you sitting at the doorstep and then the renter taking advantage and playing pick 'n choose...I imagine the problem is even worse in NYC where people want to avoid broker fees!).

From what I understood from obed during my interview, we would not be paying the brokers fee, the broker's/realator's services are free of charge to admited students.

From what I understood from obed during my interview, we would not be paying the brokers fee, the broker's/realator's services are free of charge to admited students.

so they've found a broker for those who want off-campus (non-dorm) style housing? I don't recall that at my interview, could you elaborate? i know they're working on it daily and my interview was one of the first batches.
though i do recall talk of the sheraton and ymca....still don't know which sheraton.

Hey everyone-

I applied December 20, got the secondary early January, but didn't have it in my possession until January 13th when I got back to school. I didn't mail it in until February 5. Anyone think my long delay before sending it in could negatively affect my application? Will my MCAT be able to counter my subpar GPA? I applied to like 10 schools EARLY summer and no interview invites.

GPA: 3.30
MCAT: 33O

Hey everyone-

I applied December 20, got the secondary early January, but didn't have it in my possession until January 13th when I got back to school. I didn't mail it in until February 5. Anyone think my long delay before sending it in could negatively affect my application? Will my MCAT be able to counter my subpar GPA? I applied to like 10 schools EARLY summer and no interview invites.

GPA: 3.05
MCAT: 33O

your mcat score is clearly advantageous.
they will not over look you

hello everyone...just had my interview today

so about the library/resources, when we went to north shore hospital a resident showed us around and kept saying that the hospital is affiliated with mt sinai so they have access to their journals, facilities etc.

obed also showed us a listing og various places for housing and ranges, they are putting together a list of realtors in the area for us to use, and will be compiling a listserve so that accepted students can look for roommates.

even though the school isnt finished yet in really excited, the deans were very welcoming and i think everyone has high expectations for the school.

hello everyone...just had my interview today

so about the library/resources, when we went to north shore hospital a resident showed us around and kept saying that the hospital is affiliated with mt sinai so they have access to their journals, facilities etc.

obed also showed us a listing og various places for housing and ranges, they are putting together a list of realtors in the area for us to use, and will be compiling a listserve so that accepted students can look for roommates.

even though the school isnt finished yet in really excited, the deans were very welcoming and i think everyone has high expectations for the school.

I had a similar impression...Also, as a sidenote, the school has been getting A-list publicity as the pioneer "urban medical school in harlem" and the dean, dr. diamond, is a nyc big shot, has some sort of hook up with mehmet oz (the oprah winfrey show doctor from columbia u)...supposedly, oprah is getting involved too (and with her recent south african school project, the timing coincides really well). in fact, i mentioned this before, but it seems like the dean is well hooked up in general (he was the first DO chairman of some major ny medical society and used to work with NYCOM, set up a lot of their residency/rotation stuff)...long story short, the publicity confirms that they are under pressure to perform- i imagine.
we should really make use of the fact that they are so open to suggestions right now (in fact, during my interview day, most of us had a chat session with obed in which he took notes, asking us what we'd like to see added, as potential students, and that's when many of us suggested various housing ideas, online lectures, short class days, etc)...So yea, let's pile it on! haha

I had a similar impression...Also, as a sidenote, the school has been getting A-list publicity as the pioneer "urban medical school in harlem" and the dean, dr. diamond, is a nyc big shot, has some sort of hook up with mehmet oz (the oprah winfrey show doctor from columbia u)...supposedly, oprah is getting involved too (and with her recent south african school project, the timing coincides really well).

What do you mean oprah is getting involved? getting involved with What? expand

so they've found a broker for those who want off-campus (non-dorm) style housing? I don't recall that at my interview, could you elaborate? i know they're working on it daily and my interview was one of the first batches.
though i do recall talk of the sheraton and ymca....still don't know which sheraton.
Obed mentioned that they would be getting a broker who will be working with students to find suitable housing, at no charge to the students, but the final details are not worked out yet. somebody please correct me if I am wrong

What do you mean oprah is getting involved? getting involved with What? expand

let's see, how shall i put this,
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
:laugh:
All jokes aside, the *Oprah and Dr. Oz subject* came up during the research department development portion of their presentation (so yea, I was subconsciously snoozing), but I believe it was mainly funding, and of course, publicity, i.e. encouraging under-represented students to apply. though i think that's more their external campaign, it seems like they were interviewing applicants from all sorts of backgrounds, not just minority applicants. i think they ideally prefer people who are at the end of the day, genuinely committed to to serving urban populations and have demonstrated that committment-
rather than admitting strictly minorities (which is how some people interpreted tourocom-ny's mission statement ).
not a big fan of research, but i got the impression one of their main goals is to pioneer the association of *research school* with *osteopathic medical school* and during my interview they emphasized incorporating mandatory research units in the curriculum. in the end, i think it's easier to get funding as a research-oriented school...
which is an angle that most other DO schools (correct me if I'm wrong) have not capitalized on. i think the research angle also gives greater prestige/credibility to a school's reputation

Ok all,

Here's what I know: They are planning for the school day to end at 2pm, but more importantly, they are planning on the day starting between 7:30 am and 8:00 am. If we're going to make suggestions as a group, I think we should address that first. I know many of the schools start as early as 8 or 8:30 am, but with NY traffic and commute hell (I'm a New Yorker and went to Columbia Undergrad), we should really suggest starting closer 9:00 am if not later, even if we finish the day at 3:00 pm or 3:30 pm.

Osteopathy is definitely on a sharp rise and being in the inaugural class of the first urban-based school that I'm aware of is a big deal. As long as we do well on the Boards we'll have all of the options everyone else has available to us. And Dr. Diamond is a bonafide badass. He has insane connections that we'll benefit from come rotation time and from an exposure standpoint. The more people know about DO's the more we'll be requested and therefore, in demand at hospitals and in private practice.

I expect that they will be forced to buy more real estate and expand the size of the program right after we perform and show an extremely high pass rate on the boards. Most, if not all of these schools are located in a very suburban area and plan on serving urban areas. This experiment in Harlem should prove that you can successfully prepare in the most distracting environment and be successful. Should start a wave of schools in urban areas, sitting right in the middle of the population they're designed to serve, which will improve awareness and patient interest.

Next, I am communicating with Obed so there will be more housing options. I worked as a Real Estate Broker since '01 and my old firm will find everyone housing without cost to the renter themselves. So hold tight and I will have them assemble a long list of housing that we can post online and at the school and set it up so people can communicate to one another and even visit apartments together. The cost is exactly what you are saying, about $1300 for a studio (400+ sq ft), $1500 or so for a 1-bedroom (600 sq ft) and $1600-$2000 for a 2 bedroom (800-1200 sq ft).

I would like to suggest to you guys what we setup for students near Brooklyn Law School where the students look at purchasing their apartments and with the rates of appreciation in NY, these people either made a modest profit or offset all 4 years of their living expenses when the sold. And their sales market was easy because they all pretty much sold to new students coming into the school. Wise financial strategy. Take the proceeds from the sale and maybe knock your loans off in 1 clean shot. Think about it.

Also, Obed mentioned that all of the lectures will be recorded and uploaded online and all of the classrooms will be setup for that, however, this is so important that I think we should all voice it so it doesn't get overlooked when the construction gets hairy (and it always does). We should also ask about working with PDA's, the way I hear NYCOM students do. We should push for casual dress on a day to day basis. We'll have enough to worry about and even business casual is a headache. We'll dress well for clinical. We should definitely get our own touro email addresses and should push for the lockers.

The gym membership stuff is no big deal. We won't get a great deal from any gym chain. And NYSC is especially unkept. I worked there for a couple of years. Equinox would be the best quality. but most gyms in the Harlem area are somewhat unclean, to be honest. If we had our own very small facility that might be the best thing. And that's all I know.

i also believe dr. diamond is a board member for new york osteopathic society as well...

thank you for looking out for us housingDO

Ok all,

Here's what I know: They are planning for the school day to end at 2pm, but more importantly, they are planning on the day starting between 7:30 am and 8:00 am. If we're going to make suggestions as a group, I think we should address that first. I know many of the schools start as early as 8 or 8:30 am, but with NY traffic and commute hell (I'm a New Yorker and went to Columbia Undergrad), we should really suggest starting closer 9:00 am if not later, even if we finish the day at 3:00 pm or 3:30 pm.

The subways and traffic make you suicidal starting work or school at 9 am in the city. I'd rather start at 8 or 10 am.

Just got my acceptance to TouroCom. Not a bad turnaround...48 hours!

But I've gone to work in the city for the past 8 years at a variety of time from 6am to 10am and as a native, after 7am, it's all the same crowded, delayed insanity. Starting a little later will at least curb the grouchy, short-fuse the early morning forces. And the people on the train earlier in the morning are the Wall St brokers and the people working in construction and security. Those aren't the ones you want to bump the wrong way first thing in the morning. The 9amers are a softer crowd that are less likely to assault you for a better hand grip on the pole.

Just got my acceptance to TouroCom. Not a bad turnaround...48 hours!

But I've gone to work in the city for the past 8 years at a variety of time from 6am to 10am and as a native, after 7am, it's all the same crowded, delayed insanity. Starting a little later will at least curb the grouchy, short-fuse the early morning forces. And the people on the train earlier in the morning are the Wall St brokers and the people working in construction and security. Those aren't the ones you want to bump the wrong way first thing in the morning. The 9amers are a softer crowd that are less likely to assault you for a better hand grip on the pole.

:laugh: We need more of this funny sh** on the left coast.

Just received my letter of acceptance as well! Decision time. Clement what did you decide on?

Just received my letter of acceptance as well! Decision time. Clement what did you decide on?

Hey congrats to both you and HousingDO!

Ahhhhh wellllllllllllllllll I'm like 93% TouroCOM-NY and the rest is Mare Island...
We really need to start a pro and con thing (I think so far you're the only other one in my shoes as far as the 2 Touros?)...

My worry is that I might be leaning toward NY because it's *different* and because it's NYC...Though there are some serious $$, climatic, far from family, and new school hurdle realities to consider, I admit...I'm a little scared because most of my hope is based on "confidence in the school to deliver" as opposed to a proven record (but hey, they did fine in Nevada).
Maybe it's a dumb thing to base my decision on, but I'm just sick of the west coast suburban sprawl lifestyle that persists even in big cities on this coast (which is precisely why my NYC friends who live here love it!)....Maybe I'll want to come back when I'm in my 30s...Hope that won't be a problem!

A lot of us have mentioned housing and rotations as our big concerns...I don't think either will be too problematic...Healthcare is in demand in the city itself and from what I know from family members finishing up EM and OB/GYN residencies in the city, to the degree that hospitals within the city depend A LOT on residents and rotating students to help out (especially in lower income areas). This also translates to long days and more work (I'm guessing) and work at *tougher* hospitals (which is why I stressed that anyone who goes should really be committed to underserved/community medicine).
I guess not knowing the city and its hospitals and wondering if the rotations will be set up so that we can commute safely and easily to and from, could be an issue (especially given I won't have a car, another bonus!) But that issue is years away. Several people (in the osteopathic forum, new school vs. old school threads have mentioned the first two years being equal across the board for all schools, but it's the school's effort/reputation in getting you into the residency phase that really counts (that's where older schools have a distinct advantage).
Touro, however, is a branch campus for all intensive purposes, so perhaps wanting to do a residency in CA or NV would already have a backing by the more established schools' reputations. On the other hand, if you want to stay in the East Coast, well, my impression is that DOs are more established on that side of the country anyway (regardless of school)...Plus who in NY hasn't heard of "Touro" based on their other schools (i.e. Law School, etc).

Who knows, maybe I'm young right now and want the experience of living in a big city and having the distinct advantage of exposure to a great demographic array which I don't think I could get anywhere else (yes, that's their big selling point). I just don't want to make a decision I'll regret, that's my big fear-factor! Do I want to come back to CA? What are the distinct issues of studying/rotating in CA vs. NY? That's what I want someone to tell me...

I've interviewed at all 3 Touros, so I can speak with a fair degree of confidence that stuff will happen they way they say it will...Sure there will be kinks, but I don't think it will be anything we'd want to shoot ourselves in the leg over.

So how about you Gprotein?

PS: I'm still waiting on the hardcopy of my letter! Ha I'll I need is for someone to say the EMAIL I got was a technical error hehehe

I don't really know the specifics of the interaction between Touro NY and Columbia other than we have the option of using their library and library's resources. One of the interview groups was discussing this in between interview phases. I got my acceptance to NY today I feel torn in choosing between Mare Island and NY!! Professionally, I think NY would be better but my entire family is pushing for me to go Mare Island (I have family in California).

:confused:

Hey there!

well add me to the accepted list. Man I have never been so undecided in my life. I currently hold a deposit at Touro-NV but Touro-Harlem has really got my attention. I've got to read through all these articles that someone linked to and see how I feel. decisions, decisions....

I am more like 50%-50% between both schools.

Mare Island:
1. Close to family and friends
2. Established and reputable in terms of rotations and options
3. Nature, Arts, culture available at your fingertips (when the stresses of medical school become unbearable and a break is needed
4. Would be able to spend more time with husband (a factor probably unique to me)
5. Affiliation to Stanford University
6. Excellent weather

NY:
1. High clinical exposure
2. Affiliation with Columbia U.
3. Arts and culture at your fingertips
4. Demanding curriculum or at least an impression of it as demanding that would in my opinion better prepare us as future doctors.

Mare Island:
3. Nature, Arts, culture available at your fingertips (when the stresses of medical school become unbearable and a break is needed
4. Would be able to spend more time with husband (a factor probably unique to me)
6. Excellent weather

NY:
4. Demanding curriculum or at least an impression of it as demanding that would in my opinion better prepare us as future doctors.

I'm under great family pressure to go for CA as well...Not to mention everyone in my family keeps asking me if my $2K at Mare Island is transferable (ha NOOOOO).

Your pro list is good...I'll post mine soon (as I figure it out!)....From your list I can say that comfort is definitely a factor...CA will be more laid back (curriculum, weather, pace, intensity)....NY will be more intense but with (what I gather) is a stronger potential to form an amazing physician who has survived a tough curriculum, tough/long hours at NYC's healthcare-shortage hostpitals, and exposure to a greater demographic (and for us west coast wusses, that's IF we can survive the winters :laugh: though I have to say, when I interviewed it was in the 40s, i know, unusually *warm* and I was loving it!)

how is touro affilliated with stanford and columbia?

Mare Island:
6. Excellent weather

NY:

how is touro affilliated with stanford and columbia?

I think Gprotein and others may be referring to the cooperation between schools in terms of sharing resources (at least in the case of Columbia it seems to be the library and some connection with Dr. Mehmet Oz (Oprah Show) who the school/Dean has an apparent hookup with- I believe this is linked to the urban medicine focus (see previous posts in this thread), rotation opportunities would be great!)...I'm not sure what the precise connection is with Stanford, though I think I may have read something about Touro-MI students doing rotation/residency work at the hospital...

TouroCOM-NY has the potential to become an amazing school. its up to us to direct it in the right path.

I interviewed Tuesday and just received an email acceptance this evening.

Cant wait to move back home to NYC!