Touro-NY Class of 2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:) I just recieved the email. I interviewed on 2/14 I'm going to send in my deposit Asap. Hello it's nice to meet my fellow classmates!

Members don't see this ad.

Im also looking for a roommate...male easy going all you got to put up with is I get fairly noisy during New York Jets games.

also I got two questions maybe u folks can answer it.....They requested to have undergrad transcripts sent to them should I sent it now or after I graduate? And if I send it now I have an incomplete for a lab research, which Im getting credit for, because I didnt finish my research last semester The professor told me she would give me an Incomplete and just give me a grade this semester would this affect anything?

:) I just recieved the email. I interviewed on 2/14 I'm going to send in my deposit Asap. Hello it's nice to meet my fellow classmates!

Congrats confL I will see you in the fall...... go and celebrate

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello fellow medical school classmates....wow that sounds so cool saying that now lol. Just got my acceptance today as well, and will be sending my acceptance of thier offer. Also where is the form that Dr. Diamond mentioned in the email, it looks like i nevergot the attachment?

I am trying to figure out who you are......I got in from the 2/14 horrible weather interview also!

I"m a little confused as to what letter you guys are referring to. did it come through e-mail or snail mail? All I have received so far are e-mail's regarding financial Aid. someone please help me I'm a little clueless.:confused:

Also I know HousingDO was working on helping us find apartments, but it seems like people are looking at going through a broker. :confused:

By the way, I am also interested in finding a roomate, I am a female, and really easygoing.

I'm almost 27 and super easy going! And by that I mean, as an undergrad I had one female roommie who would get worked up if people used toilet paper to wipe of makeup instead utilizing it for its "designated usage"...Anyway, my one defect is I like to eat what others bake!!:laugh: Can't wait for school to start! (Yiiiikes!)

Hi thanks for the help. I jsut wanted to know did everyone who sent a primary get a secondary and everyone wo got a secodary get an interview, I feel like that is the case. Is the interview a good sign as if you already got in and its at your behalf to mess it up? I hope I do really well and will see you all there.

I just started a thread on the Yahoo group about a roommate search. I basically pimped myself out and I encourage anyone looking to live with their fellow Touro classmates to do the same! It's early, but I figure it's not too early to start figuring out who we might want to live with.

It seems like there've been some cool people that I've indirectly spoken with on these threads (clement and lkoffman? *nudge nudge*), so check out my shameless attempt to sell myself.

Hey...Are you the other Lauren that was there on the 7th???? I GOT IN TOOOOO!!! CONGRATS!

hi im new to the forum and have an interview in march. i just wanted to know what type of things they ask during the interview and if there are any pointers. My grades may not be that great compared to others but i really want to go to this school, so any tips would help. Also, how long after you guys interviewed did they give a final decision on your acceptance. When did you guys interview? I feel like i have less of a chance because u guys are already accepted and im still waiting on an interview. Thanks in advance for the help if i get responses, im just really nervous.

I talked to Obed recently and he stated that they are looking to get 120 people for the first class and that by middle of March he does NOT anticipate the class being full then. So you still have a good shot and don't stress too much.

Also I just sent the deposit in the mail yesterday!! Can't wait to find an apt. in NYC.

heyyya this is lauren that was there on the 7th...congrats on all the acceptances!!!

I just started a thread on the Yahoo group about a roommate search. I basically pimped myself out and I encourage anyone looking to live with their fellow Touro classmates to do the same! It's early, but I figure it's not too early to start figuring out who we might want to live with.

It seems like there've been some cool people that I've indirectly spoken with on these threads (clement and lkoffman? *nudge nudge*), so check out my shameless attempt to sell myself.

:laugh: You have a good point about it never being too early to get to know each other for roommate matches. My semi-resolved dilemma is studio vs. 2 bedroom with one other person. I'm gonna have to put myself on display soon. How do you NOT make it sound like a personals ad haha?! I still haven't mustered the nerve to call the broker about discount vs. waived, but what Dr. Kay said sounded right. Morningside Heights seems doable for me both price-wise and in terms of being around other students...Too bad midtown-west and the upper west side are so pricey (though I guess the border of what is *upper west* can be somewhat fuzzy too)

heyyya this is lauren that was there on the 7th...congrats on all the acceptances!!!

I'm so glad that we both got in!!!! Are you in contact with anyone else from that day???

Members don't see this ad :)
heyyya-so are u sending in a deposit or waiting to hear from pcom? yeah housingdo was there our day...you might have been around when he was talking about the sleeping pods?

I sent in the deposit and I also got accepted to NYCOM...im still waiting to here from PCOM and the NJ schools. I'm conflicted!!!

heyyya-so are u sending in a deposit or waiting to hear from pcom? yeah housingdo was there our day...you might have been around when he was talking about the sleeping pods?

sleeping pods?! I can't wait to meet housingdo! :laugh: hook it up! we might as well push for stuff while we've got some first-class leverage (no pun intended)...hey, if they're expecting ultra-shiney COMPLEX and/or USMLE scores, we need to get our rest!

Congrats on all your acceptances.

Welcome to the Touro family. It's a pretty crazy one.

I'm the black female who sat across from you at the board room table in the pinstripe suit.

I just found out about acceptance yesterday. I interviewed Feb 20th:D

hi! I'm in and have withdrawn all my other offers. I couldn't be more excited about this school and the area its in. Look forward to working with you all.
:hungover:

Hey guys I interviewed on the 20th and got in!!!! I'm really excited, and looking forward to meeting everyone at orientation. I wanted to know if anyone plans on commuting from NJ? I'd rather live in NJ, because it's cheaper, than pay more in NYC for a smaller place, even though it may be closer. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions to this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :D

Congrats to everyone who got in!!!!

Congrats fellow Feb 20th interviewee:thumbup:

Hey guys I interviewed on the 20th and got in!!!! I'm really excited, and looking forward to meeting everyone at orientation. I wanted to know if anyone plans on commuting from NJ? I'd rather live in NJ, because it's cheaper, than pay more in NYC for a smaller place, even though it may be closer. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions to this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :D

Congrats to everyone who got in!!!!

I live in NJ but I probably will not be commuting the traffic alone will kill you classes start at 8 am plus finding parking might be difficult. I live about 10-15 min away from the GW Bridge so on a good day I could get to Touro in 25 min but I rather not wake up that early to avoid traffic. Just my opinion.

I live in NJ but I probably will not be commuting the traffic alone will kill you classes start at 8 am plus finding parking might be difficult. I live about 10-15 min away from the GW Bridge so on a good day I could get to Touro in 25 min but I rather not wake up that early to avoid traffic. Just my opinion.

*From what I heard on my interview day (Feb. 21st), a start time of 9 am has been agreed upon. This is great especially for people who have a long train ride. A NJ commute is not recommended. It will probably take forever and not worth it unless you have a family and will be buying a house. I encourage all of my peers to consider housing in the Harlem area. If you're going to school there for four years you might as well learn to love it (if you dont already). ;)

*From what I heard on my interview day (Feb. 21st), a start time of 9 am has been agreed upon. This is great especially for people who have a long train ride. A NJ commute is not recommended. It will probably take forever and not worth it unless you have a family and will be buying a house. I encourage all of my peers to consider housing in the Harlem area. If you're going to school there for four years you might as well learn to love it (if you dont already). ;)

I do plan on getting a house in NJ and just commute over. Since classes will be at 9am, i don't think it will be too bad. I'm used to getting up early and commuting to school, i've done it for a good chunk of my academic career. The only problem is knowing which city is best to live in jersey that's close to school. :confused:

Hey guys I also interviewed on the 20th and got in!!! I'm from Tampa but am in Chicago right now (my wife just started law school here). We definitely want to live in the city and hopefully close to Touro. Anyways, I can't wait to meet you all! Congrats to everyone who got in!

The tall guy from chicago

Hey Guys,
FYI I found out that the brokers' fee is in fact DISCOUNTED and not 100% waived. Obed will be contacting us about the error, but he did confirm that the broker's letter is accurate. I do not, however, know what the discount amounts to.

That sucks, especially since brokers fees are usually high. So HousingDO, does your offer still stand to help us find housing and waive your fees? :D
I am going to be looking for a one bedroom or large studio in Harlem or close.

Obed and them have set up a yahoo private group for us to discuss things, like our full names and where we live etc... without others looking and we can post pictures of ourselves etc... the link is earlier on in this thread I joined and it seems like a good place to get to know each other personally without random crazies knowing our emails or phone numbers... I suggest we all join and get aquainted.

I intended to post here on the day i received my acceptance(2/23) but couldnt find you guys. I found it today through a round about search fololowing the ATSU class of 2011.

Anyways, Im Anton. Interviewed 2/14 from LA Cali--I remember Mama3doc and confl from interview day. Glad to see the two of you will be classmates!! As well as everyone else of course! Im certain we will have a great group of pioneering Touroites.

I will be seeing you all on the Yahoo site soon.
cheers..:cool:

Is the yahoo group for all accepted or just people that paid their deposits?

I don't know if Touro Harlem will be offering on campus housing, but if they're not there is a little known gem of a neighborhood in Manhattan called Inwood. Inwood is the most northern tip of manhattan; washington heights borders it on the south. This area is very affordable, and you can stay inside manhattan. It's perfect for Touro Harlem, b/c it's only a few stops away on the A train; no transfer required. Disclaimer: when looking into places in Inwood, only look into apartments that reside to the WEST OF BROADWAY; I cannot stress this enough. Seriously, if you mapquest it, and see it is even so much as 1 block east of broadway, don't even bother going to look at it. If you find an apartment west of broadway, it can be a very nice place to live. Many of the apartment buildings reside directly across the street from Inwood Hill park; another words, when you look out your windows you can see tons of trees. It's a really nice park with tennis courts, paths to walk along the harlem river, etc. Anyway, just thought I'd let you guys in on this little secret, considering it is one of the last affordable, decent place to live inside manhattan, and it is so close to school. Most people have heard of washington heights, but not Inwood.

As far as commuting from Jersey: Highly not recommended if you're gonna be driving in. If you're looking for where to live in Jersey for commuting to Harlem, IMO, the best places would be towns off rt. 4, which have either an NJ Transit or Spanish Bus bus stop nearby. Don't worry about living near an NJ Transit rail station, b/c the trains all go to Penn Station, which is all the way down on 34th street; however, the buses from towns near the GWB simply go over the GWB and drop you off at 178th street; then you would need to take the subway (could use A) down to 125th street. Your best bet for living in Jersey would be towns along the spanish bus route; ie rt. 4 like teaneck, englewood, leonia, Fort Lee, Palisades Park, Ridgefield, Cliffside Park, Edgewater. Spanish bus is cheaper than NJ Transit, but slightly more dangerous.

Remember, school is near 125th street, so shortest route there is GWB, whether that be bus or car. Going to Penn station or Port Authority in midtown via bus or train, means you then have to travel all the way up to 125th street.

I don't know if Touro Harlem will be offering on campus housing, but if they're not there is a little known gem of a neighborhood in Manhattan called Inwood. Inwood is the most northern tip of manhattan; washington heights borders it on the south. This area is very affordable, and you can stay inside manhattan. It's perfect for Touro Harlem, b/c it's only a few stops away on the A train; no transfer required. Disclaimer: when looking into places in Inwood, only look into apartments that reside to the WEST OF BROADWAY; I cannot stress this enough. Seriously, if you mapquest it, and see it is even so much as 1 block east of broadway, don't even bother going to look at it. If you find an apartment west of broadway, it can be a very nice place to live. Many of the apartment buildings reside directly across the street from Inwood Hill park; another words, when you look out your windows you can see tons of trees. It's a really nice park with tennis courts, paths to walk along the harlem river, etc. Anyway, just thought I'd let you guys in on this little secret, considering it is one of the last affordable, decent place to live inside manhattan, and it is so close to school. Most people have heard of washington heights, but not Inwood.

As far as commuting from Jersey: Highly not recommended if you're gonna be driving in. If you're looking for where to live in Jersey for commuting to Harlem, IMO, the best places would be towns off rt. 4, which have either an NJ Transit or Spanish Bus bus stop nearby. Don't worry about living near an NJ Transit rail station, b/c the trains all go to Penn Station, which is all the way down on 34th street; however, the buses from towns near the GWB simply go over the GWB and drop you off at 178th street; then you would need to take the subway (could use A) down to 125th street. Your best bet for living in Jersey would be towns along the spanish bus route; ie rt. 4 like teaneck, englewood, leonia, Fort Lee, Palisades Park, Ridgefield, Cliffside Park, Edgewater. Spanish bus is cheaper than NJ Transit, but slightly more dangerous.

Remember, school is near 125th street, so shortest route there is GWB, whether that be bus or car. Going to Penn station or Port Authority in midtown via bus or train, means you then have to travel all the way up to 125th street.

Another New Yorker just told me that Riverdale is an option as well (*fancy* part of the Bronx?)

Another New Yorker just told me that Riverdale is an option as well (*fancy* part of the Bronx?)
Lower part of the bronx is real close as well. (You could walk there from Inwood over the bridge actually); however, I was mentioning inwood for those who want to remain in manhattan affordably.

Lower part of the bronx is real close as well. (You could walk there from Inwood over the bridge actually); however, I was mentioning inwood for those who want to remain in manhattan affordably.

well, good thing I'm getting a variety of opinions on this (she had actually said, "inwood is ghetto," but frankly hasn't been living in nyc for four years or so). Looking on craiglist, streets like seaman near the park, seemed serene...Interesting some ads made a point to say, WEST of Broadway, haha. Thanks for the good tips.

A few people have also communicated to me that rare good deals can sometimes still be found downtown, though pretty impossible in midtown.

I think the upper west side is ideal when all factors are considered (well, maybe not soooo much price). Then again, another person told me to avoid a patch of the upper west side in the 90s (i.e. from 90-something to 90-something else).

Aaaaah the hunt shall begin someday soon.

well, good thing I'm getting a variety of opinions on this (she had actually said, "inwood is ghetto," but frankly hasn't been living in nyc for four years or so). Looking on craiglist, streets like seaman near the park, seemed serene...Interesting some ads made a point to say, WEST of Broadway, haha. Thanks for the good tips.

A few people have also communicated to me that rare good deals can sometimes still be found downtown, though pretty impossible in midtown.

I think the upper west side is ideal when all factors are considered (well, maybe not soooo much price). Then again, another person told me to avoid a patch of the upper west side in the 90s (i.e. from 90-something to 90-something else).

Aaaaah the hunt shall begin someday soon.

As a local I find the stigma behind areas such as Inwood, and Harlem ridiculous. You friend is right, Inwood is "ghetto" if thats translates to a large number of mostly African American and Latino locals. I know this is not what you meant Clement just trying to explain locale a little better. The reason people suggest areas like the upper west side is because its generally of a much higher income and less "diverse" lol. I said this earlier in the thread and I'll say it again, if you're going to go to school in Harlem, get used to the area! Try to find an apt. close to the campus. For alot of people from small suburbs this will be an even bigger culture shock than the upper west side but I think when you commit to a school like Touro-NY, theres a reason its in Harlem, and you commit to the community as well. I hope we don't have a bunch of students who prefer not to live amongst the community but would rather migrate in from "better areas". Again not targeted at anyone and I really do look forward to meeting all the people that I have four years to get sick of :) . First rounds on me.

I hate to change the conversation from housing, but I was filling the FAFSA app online, and typed in the Touro and the code gave the address for the the Touro College on W23rd street, not TOUROCOM. Can someone clear that up if they had already filed for Aid, meaning is that the correct place to send it? Also does anyone have the contact info the the financial aids department? I forgot to get his e-mail while i was at the interview. I emailed Obed, but when he said he get 300 e-mails a day i figured asking on the board is the best way to find this information. Thanks!

ROOMMATE WANTED: Non-smoking, non-ugly.

haha that's how old I am if you get this reference. I am actually not looking for a roomie now but that may change. Anyways:

NJDO, I would probably send in the transcripts AFTER graduation, I am not sure but I think the deadline is sometime close to when school starts and if you send it in early you may have to do it twice, but definitely ASK OBED to verify.

JESS, can you post the link to the yahoo group or PM it to me, I would like to check it out.

Finally congrats to all those that interviewed on Valentines and was accepted, I'm sure you'll remember that day for a long time to come. :)

I hate to change the conversation from housing, but I was filling the FAFSA app online, and typed in the Touro and the code gave the address for the the Touro College on W23rd street, not TOUROCOM. Can someone clear that up if they had already filed for Aid, meaning is that the correct place to send it? Also does anyone have the contact info the the financial aids department? I forgot to get his e-mail while i was at the interview. I emailed Obed, but when he said he get 300 e-mails a day i figured asking on the board is the best way to find this information. Thanks!

010142-00 is the right code. you can contact walter i believe at [email protected]

010142-00 is the right code. you can contact walter i believe at [email protected]

Right i have that code as well, but when i type it into the designated box, its only fits 010142, the "-00" portion won't fit, the box won't allow for anymore numbers...anyone else have that problem?

Right i have that code as well, but when i type it into the designated box, its only fits 010142, the "-00" portion won't fit, the box won't allow for anymore numbers...anyone else have that problem?

you know what, that would make sense...originally when I read your post and was thinking about the code (before I checked the brochure) I seemed to remember it ending in 40-something, so just omit the last two zeros i guess... because i also emailed them to verify that it was the *right* touro and again remember typing in a code that ended in 40-something.

hey since I'm waiting for the yahoo confirmation i figured i would put this up.

Looking for a roommate....willing to live with more than 1 person, if places open up (anything to cut the price down).

Easy going, very serious when I need to be, chill when i don't need to be serious, big football fan...I was told by a friend to say that I am an Aquarius...lol i guess that info is for the astrologist among the pack, that gives them a picture of the kind of guy i am lol...

Looking for male and/or female roommates, I have lived with a girl before, and we had no trouble or issues, if potential female students want her contact I can give you that info, just PM me.

This is a rough message, i will post a more detailed version in the group, but i am putting myself out there, and if anyone is truly interested let me know...

alright, who's going to take this deal to the next level and say, M-Y-S-P-A-C-E? Haha

haha nah no myspace please! but i kinda like the facebook thing because i use it more often than yahoo. :laugh: :thumbup: