Touro-NV Class of 2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was looking at villa serena. Has anyone heard anything?

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking at villa serena. Has anyone heard anything?

Did you visit? That was one of the places that I visited.
They have two different one-bedroom models (One has a larger bathroom/bedroom, the other devotes more space to entertaining - larger living room/dining room.) I basically limited my searches to one bedroom apartments. Villa Serena comes highly rated by apartmentratings.com, whatever that may be worth. I liked it when I visited, but I liked all three places that I saw (Villa Serena, Ventana/Remington Canyon, and Timberlake.) I can't say that I had a preference among the three.

I haven't been down to look at any of them. My wife is due to have our first baby in about 3 weeks. I don't know if I'll make it down to look at any apartments. I may just have to go in blind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the 12.1" Dell. It's so light & easy to carry around. I really like it. :)

marianne, I don't believe you will get the schedule until this summer some time. As far as reviewing things let me put it this way...

Freedom (now) -------(medical school)------------> Your life sucks

That's all the biochem you need to consider at this point

Don't study, don't worry about studying, get your housing together, your loans arranged, and HAVE FUN! Believe me, you will not do anything now that will help you, so enjoy what time you have left. I could get almost every medical student in the country and 99% of them would tell you the same thing...as far as the 1%...don't worry about them;).

First off, I want to congratulate everyone who was accepted and is coming to Touro-NV next year. I just finished my first year, and I'm going to try to stay on top of this board to answer any questions you guys have about the school and Vegas in general.
I also want to thank Stretch210, aartichoke, etc....b/c their advice going into my first year was really helpful. One thing that really is impressive about Touro is how close the students are...honestly. (I'm not going to feed you lies on here so expect honesty). Having said that, I respectfully disagree with their opinions on preparation - I was told in my interview that they were 'worried about my ability to complete biochem' - so I got the Lippincott's 3rd edition Biochem book (on Aartichoke's advice), and I thank god that I did. You WILL need to know all the enzymes and steps of glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, TCA cycle, etc no matter where you go to medschool...and it really helps to go over it before you get to school. Biochem is solely covered in the first block (about 5 weeks), so it can be stressful trying to keep up with it while getting adjusted to school. So I would highly recommend getting the lippincott's book and read about 10 pages a day - that's probably about 2 hours (if you're slow like me it might be more), but think about it - you can still party and have fun the summer before school starts while reading 2 hours a day.
Another recommendation I have is to get ready for Anatomy somehow. It's the defining first year medschool course and can be intimidating. I took 1/2 of an undergraduate summer anatomy course, and it was the best thing I did before school. More than anything, it gave me confidence that I was not 'starting behind' other people. You could probably avoid the undergraduate course and the money and just buy Gray's anatomy and start reading it too. I personally loved that book (and really it's probably the only book you need to buy).
Having said this, my personal feeling is I'd rather work a little bit over a vacation and not have to work as hard when there's less time (when school starts). So if you don't agree with that mentality, then it is probably better to just relax and enjoy yourself this summer.
Also, even though you'll keep hearing about how 'life is going to end once school starts' etc...it's just not true. I'm sure most of you understand what you're getting into. This is a GIGANTIC commitment, but the majority of you understand that at this point. Plus, any of you who have worked 'real jobs' know that you normally don't get summers off, don't get one month Christmas/Channukah breaks, or the plethora of Jewish holidays you get at Touro.

In terms of some random things I've seen posted on here:
If you're looking for apartments, Allegro at La Entrada is great - they're about a mile from school and it wasn't on the list the school provided last year so check it out if you get a chance. I would recommend living close to school because sleep is VERY important during med school. I can't stress that enough - and it helps to live close to school so you can sleep more.

Nevada IS in dire need of health care, and there are 2 med schools in the entire state (the other one is far away, in Reno). So the hospitals are really looking for students from Touro and UN-Reno. There are about 50 students at Reno, and 135 in the 10' class at Touro.

Ummm....what else? I've rambled on too much, huh? I guess if I was going to give you a Touro-NV promotion - I'd refer to the high COMLEX pass rate from the 08' class, the unity amongst the students, and the fact that most of the faculty is awesome. One of our teachers took every lunch in the first block to spend with a student who was having problems in biochem. And our Anatomy and Neuro teachers are EXTREMELY intelligent.

Again, congratulations to everyone coming into Touro-NV, and feel free to write me on here anytime, I'll try to check the board to answer any questions you guys may have.

We must have one, right?
I'd hate to think that we don't.
If we don't, we'll throw an impromptu White Coat Ceremony at the Palms. :)

I talked with roger yesterday about some other stuff and asked about the white coat. it will be held the end of sept. or beginning of Oct.

I talked with roger yesterday about some other stuff and asked about the white coat. it will be held the end of sept. or beginning of Oct.

Yeah, I read about that in the Google group.
There's also a post about our tentative calendar.
We get a lot of days off for Jewish Holidays.
I may fly home for my birthday around Yom Kippur. :)

I'm trying to become active in Touro-NV related happenings. I joined the Facebook group, and the Google discussion group. How are things going for everyone? Everyone getting ready? I'm excited!

First off, I want to congratulate everyone who was accepted and is coming to Touro-NV next year. I just finished my first year, and I'm going to try to stay on top of this board to answer any questions you guys have about the school and Vegas in general.
I also want to thank Stretch210, aartichoke, etc....b/c their advice going into my first year was really helpful. One thing that really is impressive about Touro is how close the students are...honestly. (I'm not going to feed you lies on here so expect honesty). Having said that, I respectfully disagree with their opinions on preparation - I was told in my interview that they were 'worried about my ability to complete biochem' - so I got the Lippincott's 3rd edition Biochem book (on Aartichoke's advice), and I thank god that I did. You WILL need to know all the enzymes and steps of glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, TCA cycle, etc no matter where you go to medschool...and it really helps to go over it before you get to school. Biochem is solely covered in the first block (about 5 weeks), so it can be stressful trying to keep up with it while getting adjusted to school. So I would highly recommend getting the lippincott's book and read about 10 pages a day - that's probably about 2 hours (if you're slow like me it might be more), but think about it - you can still party and have fun the summer before school starts while reading 2 hours a day.
Another recommendation I have is to get ready for Anatomy somehow. It's the defining first year medschool course and can be intimidating. I took 1/2 of an undergraduate summer anatomy course, and it was the best thing I did before school. More than anything, it gave me confidence that I was not 'starting behind' other people. You could probably avoid the undergraduate course and the money and just buy Gray's anatomy and start reading it too. I personally loved that book (and really it's probably the only book you need to buy).
Having said this, my personal feeling is I'd rather work a little bit over a vacation and not have to work as hard when there's less time (when school starts). So if you don't agree with that mentality, then it is probably better to just relax and enjoy yourself this summer.
Also, even though you'll keep hearing about how 'life is going to end once school starts' etc...it's just not true. I'm sure most of you understand what you're getting into. This is a GIGANTIC commitment, but the majority of you understand that at this point. Plus, any of you who have worked 'real jobs' know that you normally don't get summers off, don't get one month Christmas/Channukah breaks, or the plethora of Jewish holidays you get at Touro.

If you're looking for apartments, Allegro at La Entrada is great - they're about a mile from school and it wasn't on the list the school provided last year so check it out if you get a chance. I would recommend living close to school because sleep is VERY important during med school. I can't stress that enough - and it helps to live close to school so you can sleep more.

Nevada IS in dire need of health care, and there are 2 med schools in the entire state (the other one is far away, in Reno). So the hospitals are really looking for students from Touro and UN-Reno. There are about 50 students at Reno, and 135 in the 10' class at Touro.

Ummm....what else? I've rambled on too much, huh? I guess if I was going to give you a Touro-NV promotion - I'd refer to the high COMLEX pass rate from the 08' class, the unity amongst the students, and the fact that most of the faculty is awesome. One of our teachers took every lunch in the first block to spend with a student who was having problems in biochem. And our Anatomy and Neuro teachers are EXTREMELY intelligent.

Again, congratulations to everyone coming into Touro-NV, and feel free to write me on here anytime, I'll try to check the board to answer any questions you guys may have.

Ok bblue, one more piece of advice...don't you dare study this summer!:);)
By the way, pm me who you are...I forgot to ask you...

Congrats to the class of 2011 on your acceptances!

Ok bblue, one more piece of advice...don't you dare study this summer!:);)
By the way, pm me who you are...I forgot to ask you...

Congrats to the class of 2011 on your acceptances!

Too late! I'm already nerding it up - reading the First Aid USMLE book. Good luck on boards, are you doing the USMLE?

Also, the 10' class should have most of the notes for the 11' class. We've got your backs!

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree with bblue (also 2010er here). Do your two hours a day especially if you haven't taken biochem or majored in biology, biochemistry, or the like.

If you haven't take a formal anatomy course, then skim through the book. (Don't look at head and neck this summer -- you'll see why later.)

Don't go crazy with studying now. Basically, you want to have a general framework that you can fill with details later.

I'd 2nd bblue's promotion and add that I was impressed by the dedication of many faculty. I would meet regularly with anatomy faculty and often at 7am even. Someone from the anatomy faculty would usually show up on WEEKENDS to help out in the lab. That speaks for itself.

Congratulations 2011ers! See you all August!

I agree with bblue (also 2010er here). Do your two hours a day especially if you haven't taken biochem or majored in biology, biochemistry, or the like.

If you haven't take a formal anatomy course, then skim through the book. (Don't look at head and neck this summer -- you'll see why later.)

Don't go crazy with studying now. Basically, you want to have a general framework that you can fill with details later.

I'd 2nd bblue's promotion and add that I was impressed by the dedication of many faculty. I would meet regularly with anatomy faculty and often at 7am even. Someone from the anatomy faculty would usually show up on WEEKENDS to help out in the lab. That speaks for itself.

Congratulations 2011ers! See you all August!

Farfromtime...I know who you are, do you know who I am? Let the guessing game begin! Anywho, now that I'm finally reading this First Aid USMLE book - I'd really recommend just reading it for biochem if you don't want to spend the time reading the Lippincott's. (Biochem is really big on the USMLE, not so much on the COMLEX). It's good for immuno too (but that's not until late second semester so don't worry about that now).

Also, Villa Serena wasn't my favorite place when I went to visit it. No offense to anyone who lives there, I just thought the Allegro was nicer.
Enjoy your summer everyone!

Farfromtime...I know who you are, do you know who I am? Let the guessing game begin! Anywho, now that I'm finally reading this First Aid USMLE book - I'd really recommend just reading it for biochem if you don't want to spend the time reading the Lippincott's. (Biochem is really big on the USMLE, not so much on the COMLEX). It's good for immuno too (but that's not until late second semester so don't worry about that now).

Also, Villa Serena wasn't my favorite place when I went to visit it. No offense to anyone who lives there, I just thought the Allegro was nicer.
Enjoy your summer everyone!
No mystery here bblue. Or if you prefer -- after hours of contemplation I noticed a striking resemblance between ___ and ___. Thumbs up for originality. : )

I ended up going with villa serena, alegro was a little nicer inside but alot more $$$$$.

I can see people log on and off from TouroChat, and we never have more than one person on at a time. I am encouraging you all to maybe post about what day/time you all might like to get together for a real-time chat. I also posted the link on the Touro '11 Facebook group and Google Discussion Group.

Hope to see you all on at some point!

I decided on an apartment at Allegro also. I came down in the beginning of May and checked out many of the apartments around Touro. Allegro appealed to me more than any of the others. It is located in a residential area, is only 1.5 miles away from school, and is gated. Plus, it has two pools. Not that I will be using them during school but I have two kids who will. It is more expensive than other apartments but I think it is worth it. I met the manager and she is really nice. The people at the front desk are willing to help out in any way they can.

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well. Anyone get their financial aid award letter yet? Thanks in advance. See you in August!:)

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well. Anyone get their financial aid award letter yet? Thanks in advance. See you in August!:)

I haven't received mine yet. Still waiting. Anyone received their book list?:D

I haven't received mine yet. Still waiting. Anyone received their book list?:D

I am waiting for my book list with bated breath! :banana:

...is it wrong that I am anxious/excited for a list of books that I'm sure I will want to throw out the window come August? ;)

Thank you bblue for the advice. I just bought First Aid today and started going through it. Looks pretty crazy!:eek: I'm excited though.

Ok, this is the last time I will chime in...
you have two options:
1. waste your time reading things (especially reading FA right now is a waste of time)
2. Enjoy the time off

I vote for enjoy the time off, so do 99% of the other students in my class and the classes before me and them at our school and other schools.

If you choose to study that is your prerogative, but I can guarantee those that did study during the summer, didn't do any better than those of us who didn't. The reason I am chiming in again is because I want you guys to realize that despite the fact that we all have Type A personalities (after all we are all med students), there is really no reason to study now and there are two sides to this story (and for those of you NOT studying, don't stress it won't matter). You are going to have to work your butt off no matter what. With that said...I have to go study (damn boards)!:)

Ok, that's all I've got to say. Oh yeah, one more thing...have fun and I'm looking forward to meeting you guys in the fall!

Hey everyone, I've been accepted for awhile now but haven't chimed in yet. I'm in the bay area (CA) for now, anyone living in Henderson/Vegas yet? I got a few last minute questions for ya.

Hey everyone, I've been accepted for awhile now but haven't chimed in yet. I'm in the bay area (CA) for now, anyone living in Henderson/Vegas yet? I got a few last minute questions for ya.

Yay, another person from the bay area!
I only know one other person (besides us) from the bay, going to Touro-NV.

i just got an email offer from Touro NV but probably decline. too close to home :)

i just got an email offer from Touro NV but probably decline. too close to home :)

1. Congratulations on getting the offer!
2. I haven't seen enough of you lately, where have you been?
3. I'll bet some people are happy that you're making that spot available, so thank you!
4. I guess you're more than 99.9999% sure now, huh? :)
5. Too bad we won't be classmates this fall. :(

Anyhone have a good handle on average utility costs in the hot months? Trying to figure out if I can pay the electric bill in July AND go to Costa Rica.

Thank you bblue for the advice. I just bought First Aid today and started going through it. Looks pretty crazy!:eek: I'm excited though.

No problem! Congratulations on your acceptance...Seriously, if you guys have any questions just ask on here or PM me. Don't get intimidated by any books if you start reading this summer - it all seemed pretty foreign to me before school...(and some of it still does). If you know the Biochem section of the First Aid for USMLE before school starts you can probably just skip class (shh - I didn't say that on here ;))

Do you guys have any questions about financial aid? I went with Wachovia for private loans and Great Lakes for stafford.

Regarding the book list - don't even worry about it. The only book most people consistently used is Gray's Anatomy. Usually the best way to find the cheapest books is to go on google and just type the name of the book in and some random sites will come up. Also, if you guys want to buy books from us, I think Roger set something up, or you can pm me and I'll see if anyone in our class wants to sell it.

Anyhone have a good handle on average utility costs in the hot months? Trying to figure out if I can pay the electric bill in July AND go to Costa Rica.

Somehow utility costs seem to be about the same in summer and in winter. Go figure. I spent $39.80 on my power bill last month, and $24.27 on gas. I think it's like $8 more than other months. I don't think it should effect your trip to Costa Rica :)

I keep my house around 78 and am home all day. I try to keep the lights off, and turn off anything I'm not using. My apartment is all electric though and our bill last month was around $160.00.

Somehow utility costs seem to be about the same in summer and in winter. Go figure. I spent $39.80 on my power bill last month, and $24.27 on gas. I think it's like $8 more than other months. I don't think it should effect your trip to Costa Rica :)

Hey, every penny counts when you're trying to get by on 15$ a day;). Thanks for the info, I think I will go!

just wanted to let everyone know that I got off the waitlist, and will be attending touro-nv in the fall. Do most people live alone, or is there a way to find room mates??

just wanted to let everyone know that I got off the waitlist, and will be attending touro-nv in the fall. Do most people live alone, or is there a way to find room mates??

CONGRATS!!!:laugh::laugh::)

There have been some emails going around that look like they have been forwarded from Roger asking about roommates. I would send him a email and ask him.

Hey, every penny counts when you're trying to get by on 15$ a day;). Thanks for the info, I think I will go!

Wow, that's less than half of what Rachael Ray gets by on! :D

just wanted to let everyone know that I got off the waitlist, and will be attending touro-nv in the fall.

Congrats! I was on the waitlist since March, and got off on May 21, otherwise known as the day that changed my life. :)

As of right now, I am headed to Touro NV. I was thinking that people might need an activity that takes their minds off school so I'm going to start a wine/beer/spirits club for Touro students and their friends or spouses. I'm thinking about meeting about once a month, and everyone bring a wine or some other beverage. We'll set the criteria for what to bring (country, grape varietal, etc... for each meeting). I already have a restaurant that will host these events. If anyone is interested, message me.

I just got accepted, so sorry this response is so late, but I would be interested in participating in the spirits club. email me if you need to:

[email protected]

I just got accepted, so sorry this response is so late, but I would be interested in participating in the spirits club.

Unfortunately, Steiner is no longer joining us in Nevada.
He's headed off to Albany.

Someone want to step up to be the host? :D

If anyone does want to take over heading the club, I'm sure the restaurant I had in mind would be more than willing to still host meetings. But someone's house would be just as good, and probably cheaper. If anyone would like to take over, I still have everyone's contacts (I think) and can forward them to you. And if you do keep the club going, I would love to attend any meetings I am in town for as an invited guest. Good luck at Touro everyone.

I can head up the spirits club, but I only have a 2 bedroom apt. I can see if our apt will let us use the party room. I will be living at Allegro. Any one else living there???? e-mail me if you want to be part of the spirits club at [email protected]

When are most people planning to move out to Henderson?

I was thinking it might be nice to spend a couple weeks there before classes start, but some people I talked to are planning on arriving just a few days before classes.

When are most people planning to move out to Henderson?

I was thinking it might be nice to spend a couple weeks there before classes start, but some people I talked to are planning on arriving just a few days before classes.

one of my roommates and I are moving out on the 14th/15th; the other roommate is moving out the following weekend. I wanted time to unpack, get accustomed to the area...and who knows, maybe even do some exploring :)

I'm currently on vacation in india now but i'm movin out there prolly july 30th/31st, anyone moving into allegro at all?

My wife and I will be moving into Allegro on the 4th of August. Yup, not a lot of time to get situated before school starts, thanks to good old PROCRASTINATION:). Anyone currently living in Allegro with good/bad reviews?

My wife and I are moving on the 28th well we leave on the 28th and get to Henderson on the 30th of July.

Hi Y'all,

I was wondering if anybody knows when the public schools typically begin in Henderson. I have a daughter who is going into 2nd grade this fall, and I want to figure out what to do with her (and for how long) between the time Touro starts and elementary school does!

Thanks for any help!
Deziree :)

Hi Y'all,

I was wondering if anybody knows when the public schools typically begin in Henderson. I have a daughter who is going into 2nd grade this fall, and I want to figure out what to do with her (and for how long) between the time Touro starts and elementary school does!

Thanks for any help!
Deziree :)

They just changed to a year round track system. My kids start Aug 27th, have the whole month of December off, then a summer break in July/August. You need to see what track they are giving your daughter. Some are horrible, like Oct off etc. I tried to pick one that was closest to Touro's schedule. Thank God for grandparents. :)

Hi All!

I am in the DO11 incoming class - wooo hooo! :thumbup:s

I 'm looking to rent a room and so I wanted to poll this group for possible roommates, landlords, or even general advice on how to find a place. Thanks! :)

Looking forward to this upcoming year but also trying to maximize the last shreds of summer!! :cool:

Kieron

y'all are so lucky. touro-NV snaged one of out profs, Dr. Ahn, and he's kick-a$$. i'm all jealous.