Touro - Mare Island, Class of 2012!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks nerdgrrl! What about the Jack London area too? I heard it was relatively safe.

Jack London isn't bad either. The whole area is undergoing a transformation. What used to be old warehouses is turning into swanky condos. The waterfront area is nice during the day. There is a movie theater, many restaurants, and also the ferry to SF and Amtrak station. I'm only taking a guess here, but the apartments there will probably be pricey.

Another place that's worth checking out is the area around Lake Merritt. I lived in that area for a year and a half and I think it's a great place. Apartments here aren't cheap either (that goes for pretty much the entire Bay Area) but I was paying $1000 for a one bedroom 500 sqft apartment back in 2004 (granted, it was a nicer apartment than most).

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone accepted off the waitlist yet or know of any news?

Hey student doctors of TUMI. I am one of your kind. It seems as if housing options at our future school are not so pet friendly. My dog is inarguably coming with me. Any ideas?

Anyone in a similar plight? B/c my dog likes other dogs the same way I like other people. Social interaction is preferable most days.
Peaces

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey student doctors of TUMI. I am one of your kind. It seems as if housing options at our future school are not so pet friendly. My dog is inarguably coming with me. Any ideas?

Anyone in a similar plight? B/c my dog likes other dogs the same way I like other people. Social interaction is preferable most days.
Peaces

hi,

I'm also looking for a place that is dog friendly and roomates that are cool with having four legged friends. My email is [email protected]. I live in the bay area and can help organize things. I was thinking about living on the island, cause it's so close to campus. Email me and we can chat

I think the berkeley area is nice.. short drive, but still accessible to SF!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Congrats on getting into TUCOM. I noticed some people who have decided to live in SF and do the daily grind of commuting. I'd like to offer my opinion on that. I am currently a first year living in the city and I have to say that the commute can get pretty tedious, pretty fast. Although it would be a good idea to live close to the Bay Bridge, driving everyday for 40+ minutes can really eat into your time and your budget.

I currently live in the Sunset district and take the Golden Gate Bridge (no toll leaving the city) to school, which takes ~50 minutes. That means waking up at 6:30-6:45 every morning to make it to class. Please take into consideration the cost of gas, the mileage you put on your car, and the value of your time each day. Although living in the city has its perks, commuting during block exams BLOWS. Filling up gas BLOWS. Spending 2 hours commuting everyday BLOWS.

If you do decide to stay in SF, get a hybrid, carpool with other classmates, or just be prepared for a year of back-and-forth quality time in the car. The ferry option is also possible, but keep in mind that it takes an hour to get to Vallejo, not to mention the fact that you need to have a means of transportation from the ferry terminal in Vallejo to campus.

Best of luck to you all!

anyone know anything about computer requirements? im in need of a comp at this point, and thought if there were requirements itd be good to know :)

I visited the area this past week and have finalized my housing plan for Emeryville! I did a test drive and it took 30 mins (26 miles) to get there leaving at 7:15am on a Monday morning. Since Emeryville is right by the highway, most of my drive was going at 65mph :)

I really liked the area, because its minutes from gourmet ghetto (great food), berkeley and a short drive/bart ride to SF. When looking at apartments I found some to be pet friendly (especially cats)... some apartments allowed dogs on their first floor apartments. I thought Avenue 64 was beautiful and had a lot of amenities (pool and gym etc).

Good luck to everyone still searching!

If you want to ask me any other question feel free to PM me.

Is anyone looking for a roommate to live in Emeryville, Oakland, Jack London, Alameda or Danville/San Ramon area. I decided to narrow it down to these couple of locations due to the fact my BF works in San Jose and its kinda a midpoint. I have been looking and it is much cheaper to get a two bedroom, with even a 2 bath than single bedroom. I am trying to find a facility that has a decent fitness center, pool etc and maybe a washer dryer in the apt. Any one interested let me know? I plan to visit the area June 12-15th and we could even plan to meet up.

guys/gals

any word on financial aid from Touro? I submitted all the forms a week ago and have heard ZIP..

I received my fin-aid letter today. I submitted my info in late February.

Hey there class of 2012. Just noticed that the text book list is up:

http://www.webmedbooks.com/touro/coursebooks/courseSearch.aspx

Of course, as noted by some current students, we shouldn't rush out and buy all our books, as we may not actually need them all (or have time to read them anyway).

Quite a list. I hope we don't need them all ;) Also, I'm confused as to why it says DO class of 2012, but doesn't indicate which campus. Any advice from current students appreciated.

Also, any word on when white coat will be?

See you all soon!

Quite a list. I hope we don't need them all ;) Also, I'm confused as to why it says DO class of 2012, but doesn't indicate which campus. Any advice from current students appreciated.

Don't buy any books. Don't buy any equipment.

bth

Congrats to all the new Touro Students!!! I just finished my second year and I have books for sale. If anyone needs books just PM me and we can talk.
Goodluck in your 1st year!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! It appears that I'm a little late in the game since this forum was made back in october, but I wanted to say hi to my future classmates of 2012... I interviewed back in Jan and got the acceptance letter only 2 wks later- so exciting!!! Anyways, I plan on moving out to Vallejo (from Orange County) on July 19th or 20th, so if anyone is going to be out there at that time and wants to meet up, let me know :) I'll probably just be chillin for the most part, getting the apartment set up, and working out at 24 hr, so anyone is welcome to join...

By the way, I saw someone mention a Facebook group for the class of 2012. I've tried virtually every combination of words for the search, but I can't find it. Has anyone else had any luck?

Hey everyone! It appears that I'm a little late in the game since this forum was made back in october, but I wanted to say hi to my future classmates of 2012... I interviewed back in Jan and got the acceptance letter only 2 wks later- so exciting!!! Anyways, I plan on moving out to Vallejo (from Orange County) on July 19th or 20th, so if anyone is going to be out there at that time and wants to meet up, let me know :) I'll probably just be chillin for the most part, getting the apartment set up, and working out at 24 hr, so anyone is welcome to join...

By the way, I saw someone mention a Facebook group for the class of 2012. I've tried virtually every combination of words for the search, but I can't find it. Has anyone else had any luck?

Congrats on your acceptance. The facebook group is TUCOM 2012.

Future docs,

Congrats once again! I know it's a great feeling. I just finished my second year, and I have basically all of the books that you will need so PM if you're looking to buy books and we can figure out a good price.

Congrats once again and live it up these last couple months before school starts!

Hey Guys,

So I will be purchasing a laptop for school and wondering what are your thoughts? What computers work best at TUCOM? Any one have a tablet?

Hey Guys,

So I will be purchasing a laptop for school and wondering what are your thoughts? What computers work best at TUCOM? Any one have a tablet?

Tablets = a very good thing.

You can write & draw directly on to a powerpoint slide. A very nice feature in anatomy and pathology slides.

bth

Hey Guys,

my lenovo tablet is in transit now :)

Hi everyone!

Speaking of laptops...do those in years 1 & 2 find yourself taking your laptop to class? My laptop is kinda big..and heavy, therefore it's not as portable as I would like if I was taking it to class everyday....Do you think it would be wise investment to buy something smaller and portable just for class? Thanks for any advice...

Can't wait to meet everyone in August!

I'm STILL completely lost with housing..I'm sitting here in Oklahoma, and I'm visiting the area June 3rd...I know a lot of people have posted suggestions...but if someone could help with any ideas based on my ideas specifically, I would really appreciate it!!

Housing criteria:

- 1 bdrm apt. or 2 bdrm with another (unknown) roommate if possible
- within 15 min driving distance from school
- obviously safe area!!
- I don't mind starting a lease in July, but I actually wont be there until mid-late July...
- ummm...rent under $1000!!

any ideas? thanks!!

Hi everyone!

Speaking of laptops...do those in years 1 & 2 find yourself taking your laptop to class? My laptop is kinda big..and heavy, therefore it's not as portable as I would like if I was taking it to class everyday....Do you think it would be wise investment to buy something smaller and portable just for class? Thanks for any advice...

Can't wait to meet everyone in August!

I'm STILL completely lost with housing..I'm sitting here in Oklahoma, and I'm visiting the area June 3rd...I know a lot of people have posted suggestions...but if someone could help with any ideas based on my ideas specifically, I would really appreciate it!!

Housing criteria:

- 1 bdrm apt. or 2 bdrm with another (unknown) roommate if possible
- within 15 min driving distance from school
- obviously safe area!!
- I don't mind starting a lease in July, but I actually wont be there until mid-late July...
- ummm...rent under $1000!!

any ideas? thanks!!

When you get to Cali, give "Krystle Property Management" in Vallejo a call.

(link)

A broker there will show you lots of place that meet your criteria. I live at their 5 North Daniels Ave rental. Nice fenced backyard, on the water, paved running trail to the Marina, two (and 1/2) bedrooms, 1 bath. Safe neighborhood. (Walk down B street. It's cute!) 5 minute drive to school.

Hey Guys,

I decided to be a rebel and buy a Black Macbook. Its my first time switch to apple.:thumbup:

I am more than willing to sacrifice the ability to write on my screen for a very reliable and versatile laptop. I am tired of crappy vista and poorly designed and clumsy pc laptops.

(link)

A broker there will show you lots of place that meet your criteria. I live at their 5 North Daniels Ave rental. Nice fenced backyard, on the water, paved running trail to the Marina, two (and 1/2) bedrooms, 1 bath. Safe neighborhood. (Walk down B street. It's cute!) 5 minute drive to school.

Thank you so much for your help...haha in fact, you were the one who helped when I originally asked this question in like October, so thanks AGAIN! :laugh:

What do you make of the laptop situation? Should I buy a new, more portable one?

I decided to be a rebel and buy a Black Macbook. Its my first time switch to apple.:thumbup:

I am more than willing to sacrifice the ability to write on my screen for a very reliable and versatile laptop. I am tired of crappy vista and poorly designed and clumsy pc laptops.

you will soon find that you're not such a rebel. nearly 50% of my class are mac users!!

I've always been a mac user, but I wouldn't trade my mac for a tablet.

I have books for sale... all at $10 cheaper than amazon prices and I'm looking to sell them all at once... Let me know if you are interested... I'm pretty sure I have almost all of your required text books.... PM me

you will soon find that you're not such a rebel. nearly 50% of my class are mac users!!

I've always been a mac user, but I wouldn't trade my mac for a tablet.

great news!! although i have windows xp on bootcamp, have you had ANY issues with mac and the programs (if any) you need to run for class?

Just writing to say that you guys are officially the new 1st years at 11:30 AM tomorrow! well, thats when we're done anyway.....

(Nerrdgirl? who are you?)

Hi everyone!! I was just wondering if anyone else (girls only!) was looking for a roommate!! I've been looking into apt prices in vallejo....while the 1 bdrms are decently priced, it is much more feasible to get a 2 bdrm so we can split utilities. I'm easy to get along with, and I think it could be a lot of fun! I'm looking into things close to Touro...I'll be visiting the area from June 3rd-10th, so if anyone wants to meet up and go apartment hunting, I'm down!!

Thanks!

PM me.

Hello and congrats to you all for making it into the TU class of 2012. I am a soon to be 3rd year student about to start my rotations. I've been renting from my landlords for the past two years and they are the best landlords I've had. They currently have another unit for rent that was also being rented out to a TU student who is moving. She was also really happy with them. The info from my landlords is attached. They just lowered the rent too!!

Best of luck to you all!!

Attachments

• One Bedroom One Bath Mother2.doc
    24 KB · Views: 199

I just bought the same laptop this weekend! I absolutely love it.

I was admitted to TUCOM today! Class of 2012. I am completely surprised and ecstatic simultaneously. My fiance and I are from Chicago and currently living in Philly. She will most likely work downtown SF. Therefore, we would be open to renting a reasonable costing house in the Berkeley area. Does anyone else want to try finding a nice home and organizing a carpool system from the berkeley area? I am also wrestling with some other questions about the school and match list possibilities. Would someone PM me if they are into discussing the school on the telephone. Thanks!

I have books for sale... all at $5-10 cheaper than amazon used prices ... Let me know if you are interested... I looked up the 1st year book list and I have many of your required text books.... You'll be saving a lot of money!!
Books in great condition... very useful to me but do not contain high-lighting or notes

Contact me @ [email protected]

great news!! although i have windows xp on bootcamp, have you had ANY issues with mac and the programs (if any) you need to run for class?

there was one program that we had to run for a pharm lab ONCE that didn't work on my mac, but it was so not a big deal. we had to work in pairs anyway, so all the mac users paired with a PC user. but it was literally one lab, and I've never had a problem since.

we run into issues with students on the new version of Office sending files that are in .docx format, but since the faculty is still on the old version, it's really not that big of a deal.

I don't have parallels now, and I have no intention of ever using it. my roommate had it, but she ended up uninstalling it because she never used it!

Hi Class of 2012,

You'll get a more formal book list during the summer which will tell you what books are required and if you have a choice. Some areas allow you to choose only 1 book even though several may be listed. I can tell you that I used my Robbin's Pathology book more than any other book. Some of the books are available online through the library website as well.

Enjoy your summer.

Hi Class of 2012,

You'll get a more formal book list during the summer which will tell you what books are required and if you have a choice. Some areas allow you to choose only 1 book even though several may be listed. I can tell you that I used my Robbin's Pathology book more than any other book. Some of the books are available online through the library website as well.

Enjoy your summer.

Robbin's Pathology is the bomb! Their question review book is really good too. Helps for Step 1.

Here's my favorite books for studying / USMLE/COMLEX Step 1: http://www.tugsa.net/touro2year.pdf

bth

(link)

I looked at a few Krystle properties online, but all of them said "no pets." Do you happen to know if any of their properties allow cats? I really liked what I saw and was hoping to rent from them. However, my cats are a non-negotiable :)

Does anyone know the official first day of class and orientation for the class of 2012?

Does anyone know the official first day of class and orientation for the class of 2012?

Orientation starts August 4th and classes begin that Thursday on the 7th!

It's less than two months away!! ahhhh!

Have you guys gone shopping for the new school year yet? White coat? stethoscope? cuff? car? house hold stuffs? I"M SO EXCITED:soexcited::clap::banana:

Just curious....what is the typical day like for a first year student? What time does class start? When does the day end? Also, is there a dress code for class?

What about taking days off, especially fridays? I am in a couple weddings and will need that day to travel. I know the school closes at 3:00PM but is there mandatory classes before that?

Hi 2012,

So a typical day for me:
Monday - lectures from 8-5pm- long day, usually hang out, go out to dinner w/friends, work out, etc, it's such a long day, maybe do some studying
Tuesdays-thursdays 8-10 mandatory labs 10-12 lectures
12-1 lunch
1-3 more mandatory lectures
Friday 8-12pm lectures
after class , we usually work out or chill out for a couple of hours, dinner and then study
if it's blocks, then study between classes and then study right after classes
on weekends, if it's not upcoming blocks, go out on Friday nite, maybe do some studying on Saturday, go out at nite, and then Sunday-study all day
NO dress code- except OMM labs- shorts and sports bra for women, and shorts for guys
lectures are not mandatory, but labs are
as for equipment, you'll definately need a stethoscope, we used our equipment a lot more this year w/ the new curriculum. I also have a otoscope and blood press cuff that I used a lot for our Doctoring labs. You'll need them b/c you'll be learning how to do physical exams on each other.
as for books, don't buy them now, Robbin's path is a good one to have
any other questions, PM me,

Alexis
OMS II

Hey you guys---I literally just decided to go to Touro---i was on the waitlist and got in a week ago. I was just curious about housing and if anyone was still looking for a roommate and a place to live...i looked at a few posts but they were from a month or more ago. I'm from Wisconsin, very laid back (or at least I think...) looking for someone else (or more than one someone elses) thats also laid back and who balances. anyways hit me up if this interests you at all, I could either jump into something you already have going or we could look for something.

ps: how important is it to have a car there?? is it really necessary?

just to clearfy one thing, none of the lectures are mandatory?

Thank you!

Hi 2012,

So a typical day for me:
Monday - lectures from 8-5pm- long day, usually hang out, go out to dinner w/friends, work out, etc, it's such a long day, maybe do some studying
Tuesdays-thursdays 8-10 mandatory labs 10-12 lectures
12-1 lunch
1-3 more mandatory lectures
Friday 8-12pm lectures
after class , we usually work out or chill out for a couple of hours, dinner and then study
if it's blocks, then study between classes and then study right after classes
on weekends, if it's not upcoming blocks, go out on Friday nite, maybe do some studying on Saturday, go out at nite, and then Sunday-study all day
NO dress code- except OMM labs- shorts and sports bra for women, and shorts for guys
lectures are not mandatory, but labs are
as for equipment, you'll definately need a stethoscope, we used our equipment a lot more this year w/ the new curriculum. I also have a otoscope and blood press cuff that I used a lot for our Doctoring labs. You'll need them b/c you'll be learning how to do physical exams on each other.
as for books, don't buy them now, Robbin's path is a good one to have
any other questions, PM me,

Alexis
OMS II

Try doing search under Craigslist for rooms to rent in "SF Bay Area". Do a search for "Touro" and there should be several listings. Otherwise, I have a friend's mom who is renting her Vallejo home rooms to students and young professionals. Private message me if you're interested.

Also, I think it would be tremendously helpful to have a car. Public transportation is not available around school. But you probably could get by if you lived close to school with other students.

By the way, I think I might have interviewed with you. If so, I was in the other group. I was the only guy. I don't think too many Wisconsins interviewed at Touro, but I could be wrong...:)

Hey you guys---I literally just decided to go to Touro---i was on the waitlist and got in a week ago. I was just curious about housing and if anyone was still looking for a roommate and a place to live...i looked at a few posts but they were from a month or more ago. I'm from Wisconsin, very laid back (or at least I think...) looking for someone else (or more than one someone elses) thats also laid back and who balances. anyways hit me up if this interests you at all, I could either jump into something you already have going or we could look for something.

ps: how important is it to have a car there?? is it really necessary?

I am a little confused about the official start date for classes. There's August 7 and then there's August 25th...can someone please clarify for OMS1...Thanks!

I am a little confused about the official start date for classes. There's August 7 and then there's August 25th...can someone please clarify for OMS1...Thanks!

Hi bliksem - I believe we have orientation starting August 4th, and our classes start August 7th. The Colleges of Health Science and Education start classes on the 25th.

Thank you!

Hi bliksem - I believe we have orientation starting August 4th, and our classes start August 7th. The Colleges of Health Science and Education start classes on the 25th.

Here's the link to the master calendar for the upcoming year. It has your start dates as well as the dates for exam blocks for Fall and tentative dates for Spring. It can also be found at the Touro website under the resources link.

http://209.209.34.25/Webdocs/Admissions/CAMC0809.htm

As far as lectures-most (almost all) of them are not required. If, for some reason a lecture is mandatory you'll usually know about it ahead of time.