Touro - Mare Island, Class of 2012!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far. I was lucky enough to be accepted a couple of months ago, but I just discovered this thread (I was still stuck in the Pre-Osteo forum).

I just wanted to put in a plug for Berkeley as a housing option. It's not cheap, but really nowhere in the Bay Area is cheap relative to other parts of the country. Since UC Berkeley is here, it is a very academic town with lots of cultural events and many cozy nooks to study in. There's an abundance of great restaurants, awesome farmers' markets, lots of beautiful parks and hiking nearby, great live music, and a few BART stations (which makes SF a 30 minute train ride away). I understand that studying will take up most of our time, but it's still great to have all of these things at your fingertips. TUCOM-MI is only a 30-35 minute drive, and it is considered an "opposite commute," meaning that it is minimally affected by rush hour traffic. I've lived here for a few years now, and don't plan to leave until I have to.

Look forward to meeting you all soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Naw, not at all. Just did a quick look up and it seems the nearest walgreens and albertsons is within 15 minutes from campus, but obviously it would be more convenient if it was closer, especially if you have to go at 11pm!

Are you definite about doing the DO/MPH track? I'm still thinking about it and I am very interested given my interest in community medicine, but I don't want to spread my self thin by doing both a DO and MPH. I was thinking of taking the special track and take just a few classes to get a sense of what it would be like to do both, or maybe do the MPH after my DO, don't know.

On the real, no matter where you live, you gotta drive 5-15 minutes to get groceries, or food. Especially if you want anything that tastes decent. If you aren't a home cooker, then you are going to drive a little bit, and that's only because of the position of the school and where it is on the island.

I will tell you this much though, school will throw a whole new experience of life at you. You will have to adapt and you will see what works best for you. but once you start school, it will take up a chunk of your brain time, and power. driving up towards sonoma will probably be the furthest you will go for lunch and that is a 10 minute drive. Sorry, I was all paranoid and crazy about driving around cuz i'm from the bay, and everything is a block away. but you get used to it.

congrats to you all, and if you got questions, I'll try to answer em. School is stressful, but the relationships and people you meet at school will make your experience anywhere phenomenal. God Bless.

Hey guys... congrats on getting in!!.... I am in the class of 2011 (first year this year) and I also am doing the MPH .... to tell you the truth things were really crazy because they just started the dual degree, but its getting a lot better with the advent of a separate class of MPHers ... anyway, I found that the DO/MPH people that started this fall had/have a lot of questions. so I wanted to extend an open invitation to ask any question no matter how crazy it may sound.. believe me, I wish I could have asked someone about all this MPH stuff before (and during) starting in the spring ... I can't say that I'll know the answer, but I can try and I know the profs by now so that if I don't know, I could fetch the answer for you...

-WC
DO/MPH 2011

YO DUDE WHO IS THIS?!?!?!!??! It's me MIKE! HAAHAHAHAH

Members don't see this ad :)
Touro is my number one choice for Med school and I was really excited when I found out I got accepted. I have heard alot of great things about the student body; I can't wait to start ( I might not be saying that once exams start).

With that said, I was looking for advice on housing around the area. I know that Vallejo is not that great of a place to live so I am willing to find a place outside of town. What areas would you guys recommend? I have heard Benicia is a nice place, anywhere else? Don't mind a 20-30 min drive. Oh, I should mention I am looking to buy a condo/townhouse.

Thanks in advance.

Well if you're looking to buy, be prepared to spend at least $500k for anything in a decent area. This is the bay area and housing isn't cheap, even with the bubble bursting.

As for the nicer areas, I live in Marin County now and it's gorgeous. Novato, my city, is about 20 minutes from Touro. Napa is really nice, also, and about the same distance. $600k-$700k would probably be the low end for places there, even for condos or townhomes.

I suggest going to http://maps.google.com and centering in on Vallejo. Click the "MyMaps" tab and use the Google Real Estate Search tool. I was looking to buy for a while also and I used that feature a bunch.

Touro is my number one choice for Med school and I was really excited when I found out I got accepted. I have heard alot of great things about the student body; I can't wait to start ( I might not be saying that once exams start).

With that said, I was looking for advice on housing around the area. I know that Vallejo is not that great of a place to live so I am willing to find a place outside of town. What areas would you guys recommend? I have heard Benicia is a nice place, anywhere else? Don't mind a 20-30 min drive. Oh, I should mention I am looking to buy a condo/townhouse.

Thanks in advance.

Good decision, particularly now. I purchased in Benicia and am glad I did. As for Napa, I was in escrow for $450K there on an older house, but ultimately decideded to live a little closer to school. Do not purchase in Vallejo, and although Glen Cove (of Vallejo) is a nice area, there is really no appreciation going on there as they are located under the auspices of the Vallejo School District. There are some nice homes in American Canyon as well, but I'm partial to Benicia. Congrats on your acceptance.

Hi guys. I am still waiting for my interview that is few weeks away. However I live in bay area and noticed that city of Hercules has not been suggested as a choice of place to live. although you will have to cross the bridge which cost 4 dollars, if you can car pool with others, it will only take 20-25 minutes and you will always be against the traffic. nearby cities also includes Pinole, El sobrante, Rodeo and San Pablo.

If I do get into Touro, I will be happy to car pool!

let me know if anyone has question....
mjmj

Hi guys. I am still waiting for my interview that is few weeks away. However I live in bay area and noticed that city of Hercules has not been suggested as a choice of place to live. although you will have to cross the bridge which cost 4 dollars, if you can car pool with others, it will only take 20-25 minutes and you will always be against the traffic. nearby cities also includes Pinole, El sobrante, Rodeo and San Pablo.

If I do get into Touro, I will be happy to car pool!

let me know if anyone has question....
mjmj

in all honesty, if you're going to live in Hercules, you might as well live on this side of the bridge and save yourself the bridge toll or the hassle of arranging a carpool to avoid it.

Hercules and Solano county aren't that hugely different. you're a bit closer to Oakland/Berkeley/SF, but only a bit. and if I remember correctly from when I was looking, rent is higher. I completely understand wanting to commute from Oakland or Berkeley; if I'd had the money to pay for the commuting and the significantly higher rent, I would have lived in Oakland. (I wouldn't now. I love the fact that I don't have to leave the house until 7:52am, have a huge kitchen and a yard, and having a study group at my house doesn't require any planning other than, 'hey, wanna come over?', all for half what I would have paid in Oakland.) but really, Hercules/El Sob/etc. doesn't really have anything that this side of the bridge doesn't have, and the advantage of being 10 minutes closer to the city doesn't really outweigh any benefits.

of course, if you already have a life/family/friends in that area, that's a different story.

Hey--

I'm going to Touro in the fall as well and I'm pretty sure I have a house lined up, just need some housemates.

The house is on the island, a 4 bedroom, 2 and a half bath, new home, W/D, dishwasher, garage, back patio, a few blocks away from campus. There's currently second years living in it, and they'll be moving out to go do their rotations over the summer.

Move in would be sometime over the summer and they pay about 500-600 per room now (landlord may increase it with signing of a new lease).

Fourth bedroom is a bit small, so they have one person living in downstairs den instead, and extra room is used as storage. Ideally looking for even guy/girl combo. (With me, that would be one other girl and two guys).

Message me if you're interested. I can get pics of the place if you're serious about it.

Hello to everyone! Congrats to those already in the class. This message is intended for those planning on interviewing at Touro.

You may have seen that at other schools you can stay with students and that way it is cheaper for you, but more importantly you get a lot of your questions answered and your fears calmed.

Touro does not have this because they have a deal with the Marriott that if they don't provide any other places to stay then you guys get free shuttle service to the school...blah blah blah you get screwed. So...me and some of my classmates have been kind enough to go behind the school's back and do this on our own. Therefore you don't know about this. If you are interested please take a look at what there is and e-mail who you are interested in staying with directly. Any questions about this let me know.

Thanks and good luck,

Kris - c/o 2011

1. Kristofer Richter - We have a couch or a blow up mattress that we (5 med students in this 5 BR house) can offer for the night (dinner too if you're nice). This house is on Mare Island and is only a few minutes from campus. Contact: [email protected].
2. Ben Abo - Futon for you-ton. I live with a current 2nd year about 10-15min away, and don't mind playing chauffeur or other guide... whatever helps. Contact: [email protected]
3. Thomas Arnold - Sofa bed. Just a few miles from campus. [email protected]
3a. Alexis Wildenauer-4bed house, same sofa bed, a ride to and from the interview, few miles from campus [email protected]
4. Amar Kapur- Got a comfortable futon/bed. Also have 2 cute short hair cats who like to cuddle when you're sleeping! [email protected] if you wanna crash.
5. Kyle Youngflesh - more couches than I can count, the straight dirt about TUCOM and a cute Kat that will cuddle with you if you're lucky. kyleyoungflesh {AT} gmail.com
6. Terry Linam (female) I live in the dorm and have a futon bed that is pretty comfortable. I can offer a hot meal and a look around, as well as my take on the school and our program. I am married with grown children, which puts me in the "older" category around here. [email protected]
7. Rachel Beveridge - I have two couches (one is a small love seat) and an air matress. I have one short hair cat, Abby, who will gladly purr in anyones lap who would like to visit Benicia before their interview (15-20 minutes from campus, in the SAFE city next to Vallejo). And I promise to get the proud interviewee to campus in time. [email protected]

How does housing work during your 3rd and 4th years? Do you have to find temporary housing by yourself for rotations? There are so many different rotation spots, it seems like it would be big pain in the *** to be constantly moving around while dealing with the burden of procuring a decent/inexpensive place to live.

How does housing work during your 3rd and 4th years? Do you have to find temporary housing by yourself for rotations? There are so many different rotation spots, it seems like it would be big pain in the *** to be constantly moving around while dealing with the burden of procuring a decent/inexpensive place to live.

You got it my friend.
A pain in the ****, yes. (Like many things in med school.) But somehow it works out for everyone (Also like many things in med school). Most people do the majority of their third year in one "area" or even one hospital. The hospital I did 10 months of my 3rd year happens to give med students free housing. So I lucked out.

The students who do their rotations in the Bay Area often stay in their housing they had 1-2nd years.

Bryan

does anyone know about wait list at TUCOM MI?

I am on the high wait list and planning to turn in more letters of rec. I was also thinking of retaking mcat. is it needed? does anyone have any suggestions???

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
You got it my friend.
A pain in the ****, yes. (Like many things in med school.) But somehow it works out for everyone (Also like many things in med school). Most people do the majority of their third year in one "area" or even one hospital. The hospital I did 10 months of my 3rd year happens to give med students free housing. So I lucked out.

The students who do their rotations in the Bay Area often stay in their housing they had 1-2nd years.

Bryan

For those of us who have families and significant others, what are the chances that we can stay in the bay area all four years? I know that moving around for rotations would be very difficult.

For those of us who have families and significant others, what are the chances that we can stay in the bay area all four years? I know that moving around for rotations would be very difficult.

First of all, plenty of people with family and sig others go to sites other than the bay area. Often it means getting to spend more time with family and sig others, since some of the Bay Area rotation schedules require a fair amount of driving, since one month you'll be in SF, the next in Napa, the next in East Bay, etc.

Second, what are the chances of staying in the bay? . . . I know you want & deserve an answer to this, but its really hard to give you one. My best advice is . . . that's more than 2 years from now, don't worry about it yet. There will undoubtedly be massive changes in 3rd and 4th year between now and then, new sites, etc.

The students have repeatedly expressed wanting more core sites in Northern Cali for 3rd year. Dr Towne has worked diligently to make this happen, but setting up new sites is a multi-year process. Slowly, I think the number of NoCal sites is going up.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm avoiding the question. I want to give you a straight answer, but honestly its pretty complicated and depends on so many factors: what specialty you are interested in, whether you are more interested in the osteopathic or the allopathic match, how far you are willing to drive each day, what type of hospital you want to do rotations at, etc.

All these things will play into your 3rd year decision. The road is somewhat bumpy, but I promise you, it will work out.

bth

How does the grading system work? Please tell me it's pass/fail, or is the traditional 2.0-4.0 grade scale?

How does the grading system work? Please tell me it's pass/fail, or is the traditional 2.0-4.0 grade scale?

unfortunately, it's a percentage system. so, your transcript might say 89% in Integrated Systems.

I'd prefer pass/fail, but this is what we have, and they don't seem very interested in changing. oh well!!

Yo Manfood.com.....What's up Dog?

Congrats to everyone in the Class of 2012!

Sasquatch

i have a question about a rumor i heard from a PA student i know at touro-CA.

in a nut-shell, my dream job would be to work as a sports med doc for the san francisco 49ers. one thing ive been told over and over if you want to work for any team or something like is that you have to have connections...you have to start networking and know someone who knows someone etc. etc.

my friend who goes to touro mentioned that the school has connections with the athletic teams in teh bay area, including the 49ers, but she didnt know much detail. i'm not sure if the connections mean that touro students are able to rotate at certain facilities with the 49er docs, or i dunno.....

can anyone tell me if there is any truth to this and if so what specifically she is referring to?

Hi Everyone,

I am happy to join TUCOM class of 2012! I am originally from the LA area, but attended school at UC Davis and that is where I was introduced to Touro MI! I fell in love with the school and it has been my first choice ever since, although I was in a difficult situation for a while because I got into Western U COMP as well. I eventually chose Touro MI for many reasons- if you are a pre-med in this similar predicament I would be happy to discuss with you how I came to my decision.

Right now I live in San Francisco and I work in the public health field! I absolutely love it here. :thumbup:

I took 30 minutes today to make a facebook group for us so we can have a central hub for communication. These threads are nice, too, because we can get input from students of prior class years.

Please take a minute to join the group if you have a facebook profile, http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9537043343

If you don't already have a facebook profile, when you go to that link it will tell you "you need to sign in to view this page." Unfortunately the only way to join the group I created is to be a member on the website, but fortunately its free to sign up.

Thanks everyone!

Hi everybody! I am a graduate of UC Davis and will also be attending Touro-MI for the class of 2012. I have many friends who currently attend Touro. They definitely made the choice for me to attend. Anyway, I have scored housing on the island through friends. The landlord is awesome and very laid-back. It is a furnished house about 3 years old, but if you want to bring stuff...it's all good. I am looking for 3 roommates at the moments. Personally, I don't mind living with either gender (I am a bay area native and a chill female). My only qualms are please be clean, respectful, focused, yet laid-back and sociable. When it comes time to study, it's time to study. Other than that, if you want pics or more information, send me a message. Peace and luv. :)

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to put a plug in for housing. I'm helping the landlord look for 2 more roommates to share a house on Mare Island who will be available to move in on June 16th. I will be living in the house as well, along with two other 1st years (one a Pharm student and another a med student I think). It would be nice to get a good group together for study purposes! PM me for more details.

Thank you!:):):)

Hey,

I'm looking for places in the Glen Cove area, more specifically Spyglass Apts. If anyone has any info on spyglass it will be much appreciated. Also, if anyone is looking for a roommate and found a place or is looking for a place message me. I'm male, laid back, and into sports/outdoors.

Hey--

I still have two rooms open in this 4 bedroom house..

The house is on the island, a 4 bedroom, 2 and a half bath, new home, W/D, dishwasher, garage, back patio, a few blocks away from campus. There's currently second years living in it, and they'll be moving out to go do their rotations over the summer.

Move in would be June 16th and the rent is about 550 per room (not including utilities) Deposit (one months rent) and rent for June needs to be paid upfront.

Fourth bedroom is a bit small, so they have one person living in downstairs den instead, and extra room is used as storage. Ideally looking for even guy/girl combo. (Need one more guy and one more gal).

Message me if you're interested and I'll send pics of the place

Thanks!

-lara

Hi everyone,

My name is Andrew. Currently living in LA. I have been reading the 2010 and 2011 threads and found this great tool for all of us to get a little more acquainted with each other. You don't have to sign up for frappr to use the map function. Write a holla and introduce your hometown at:

http://www.frappr.com/?a=constellation_map&mapid=137440476401

:D

has anyone filled out the financial aid paperwork for Touro? One of the forms asks for # of credits in fall semester and they give you options Sept-Nov or Sept-Feb...? How did you fill that part out?

has anyone filled out the financial aid paperwork for Touro? One of the forms asks for # of credits in fall semester and they give you options Sept-Nov or Sept-Feb...? How did you fill that part out?

On the curriculum page of the website it tells you the credits for the first year.

http://www.tu.edu/user_files/44/For_Classes_beginning_with_the_Graduating_Class_of_2011.pdf

It looks like the first semester is 19 credits (Fundamentals of Osteopathic Medicine and Osteopathic Doctoring 1) and the second is 23 credits (Osteopathic Doctoring 2 and Integrated Systems - Cardiovascular, Respiratory and Renal).

I'm pretty sure that's what I put down on my financial aid forms.

I called the financial aid dept. They said not to worry about that section. You can leave it blank.

i believe fall semester starts mid aug - but there isn't an actual start date for first years is there? when are people planning to move to the area?

i believe fall semester starts mid aug - but there isn't an actual start date for first years is there? when are people planning to move to the area?

Someone on the facebook group, TUCOM 2012, received an email from the administration that ""The first day of orientation is Monday, August 4 and runs through Wednesday, August 6. The first day of classes is Thursday, August 7."

I'm planning on moving to either Benecia or Glen Cove around mid-July.

I just found out that my status is high on the waitlist. Dr. Haight told us that those on the high waitlist have a pretty good chance of being accepted, and Touro is my first choice so I'll be writing my letter of intent.

However, my question is, did you guys have to get a FBI background check and drug tests (eg: 10 panel drug test + alcohol test)? I just want to get a head start and not have to scramble last minute.

Thanks!

I just found out that my status is high on the waitlist. Dr. Haight told us that those on the high waitlist have a pretty good chance of being accepted, and Touro is my first choice so I'll be writing my letter of intent.

However, my question is, did you guys have to get a FBI background check and drug tests (eg: 10 panel drug test + alcohol test)? I just want to get a head start and not have to scramble last minute.

Thanks!

as far as my mail ..not so far.....

I am wondering if anyone is interested in living in a house on the island?? I'm looking for house mates. A room is available with a private bathroom (not a master bdrm) at an amazing price! Utilities are included in the rent and you can move in in the summer. Females only please. If interested, please pm me with ur info Asap!
Where u're from, what yr at touro, what type of house mate ur looking for, etc..

This may be a shot in the dark, but wanted to see if anyone could help or possibly offer a suggestion on my situation.

Long story short. 32 MCAT. 3.5 GPA (Science/Cum) from UCBerkeley. 3 years research. Shadowed doctors in the US and in Nepal. Setup a Medical camp for orphan/homeless children in Nepal as well.

Except I had a recent epiphany/moment of enlightenment to apply to D.O schools due to the similar philosophy that TouroCOM has with my own beliefs in practicing medicine. Sadly this occurred past the April 1st deadline for the matriculating class of 2008. I sent an email to Dr. Haight explaining my situation and I really want to go to Touro and not wait another year to begin my path down medicine. I just want to be considered for supplemental and see where it goes from there. I'll fly up from San Diego and turn in the primary application by hand if need be!

Any ideas or am I out of luck? :confused:

Thanks for any input.

Any ideas or am I out of luck? :confused:

Thanks for any input.

Sorry to say this but you're likely out of luck. Primary application is sent to AACOMAS for verification before it is sent to your school of choice. As you mentioned too, the deadline for that has past. I doubt they will make exceptions for you to turn your primary application directly to them.

Have you applied/interviewed for allopathic medical schools?

If you're really set on becoming a DO, I think one extra year of waiting is not a waist of time. You may use that time to learn more about osteopathy and perhaps shadow DO's if you have not done so. I think the admissions committee will have a hard time choosing you based on a epiphany. (I'm not saying that it's not a valid reason, but if you compare yourself to other applicants in this regard, you may come up short)

Reasons why you may want to wait a year: 1) You'll have more schools to pick from, since not all schools are the same. You're stats are very competitive. 2) DO's schools are fast with their turn around time. If you apply when the process begins, you could have acceptances by August. 3) Take time off to have fun/travel...etc.

If you're set on going to TUCOM-CA, you might be interesting in getting an MPH degree this year while going through the application cycle for next year. TUCOM-CA is very gung-ho about their MPH program:)

Also, I received an email from my undergrad about Touro-Harlem having a postbac program this summer where if your GPA is >3.5 in the program, you gain admission. I don't know the details though, but if you're interested you may want to call the school to inquire. I looked at their website but they haven't posted anything yet.

Remember, things will work out!

To current students at Touro,

I know it is recommended that we should wait until orientation to consider buying textbooks, but I have a friend who can help me get some of the textbooks for free under his work grant. In order to do so, I have to buy the books now. From the class of 2011 textbook list, what books are absolutely necessary and required by the new curriculum? What other books (that are not on the list) are good study guides for the courses, COMPLEX, and USMLE exams? Thank you so much.

The list of required textbooks for 2011:
http://www.tu.edu/user_files/239/Booklist__2007-2008__Class_of_2011.pdf

Andrew :)

Hi.

I am new to this thread but congrats to the class of 2012.

I was wondering if anyone is doing the MPH/DO program but starting in the fall. I live in New York City area and could not(financial) move out early to start the MPH program early. Can anyone give me some insight and support since I am freaking about the work load.

Also, I plan on living in Alameda. My boyfriend will be working in San Jose and I figured that is the perfect half way point and across the bay from San Fran. Does anyone know what the traffic would be like in either direction. I figured that my boyfriend and I would be traveling away from San Fran and would avoid the heavy traffic during rush hour? Any public transportation to TOURO?

Any help would be appreciated.

Clueless from NY

To current students at Touro,

I know it is recommended that we should wait until orientation to consider buying textbooks, but I have a friend who can help me get some of the textbooks for free under his work grant. In order to do so, I have to buy the books now. From the class of 2011 textbook list, what books are absolutely necessary and required by the new curriculum? What other books (that are not on the list) are good study guides for the courses, COMPLEX, and USMLE exams? Thank you so much.

The list of required textbooks for 2011:
http://www.tu.edu/user_files/239/Booklist__2007-2008__Class_of_2011.pdf

Andrew :)

Book guide:

http://www.tugsa.net/touro2year.pdf

With last year's curriculum change, you'll probably want many of these books first year.

bth

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone is doing the MPH/DO program but starting in the fall. I live in New York City area and could not(financial) move out early to start the MPH program early. Can anyone give me some insight and support since I am freaking about the work load.

Also, I plan on living in Alameda. My boyfriend will be working in San Jose and I figured that is the perfect half way point and across the bay from San Fran. Does anyone know what the traffic would be like in either direction. I figured that my boyfriend and I would be traveling away from San Fran and would avoid the heavy traffic during rush hour? Any public transportation to TOURO?

Clueless from NY

Hey Comet-

Alameda is a pretty long commute to Touro. You not only have to deal with 80, but also with 580/880. As you mentioned above, the commute can be hellacious at times. With good traffic, you are looking at least a 50 minute commute each way. It can be at least an hour with bad traffic. The 580/880/80 interchange is one of the worst traffic spots in the area. I would definitely take the time to think about how long you will be spending in your car every day. Looking forward to meeting you this summer...

Hi.

Clueless from NY

You'll probably hit some moderate traffic on 880 between Alameda and the Bay Bridge during the morning commute as you will be headed toward San Fran for that part of your journey. Once you pass the Bay Bridge and get on 80 it will be much smoother sailing. The same is true for the trip home: less traffic on 80 and more traffic on 880. Your boyfriend will likely get stuck in moderate traffic heading to and from San Jose as 880 gets congested in both directions during rush hour. It's definitely doable as long as he expects and budgets time for the traffic!

I think once you get onto the 880, it will be pretty much smooth drive to Touro. The only real hold up would most likely be trying to get off the island of Alameda. Depending on where you live, you either cross draw bridges or the via downtown Oakland through the tunnel. Also, cops in Alameda are very nit-picky about speed limits and full stops (Alameda is is safe area and cops have nothing to do:)). There are plenty of traffic lights and 4 way stops. It would probably be best to live closer the freeway than further in. But once you get onto the freeway there shouldn't be much trouble unless there's an accident or what not. I think your bf would have a harder time getting to San Jose though.

Tip: google map has a nifty traffic prediction for major freeways. You can look at live traffic or select the day and time. From Alameda to Touro on Monday at 7am takes approx. 51 minutes.

I don't know much about the DO/MPH program other than what was presented in class. You probably know this already, but it's 2 MPH classes along with your DO classes during the regular semester, and I think 3 during summer. I got the impression that it's doable if you have discipline and good time management. During me interview though, my interviewers said that it's best to focus on your DO degree since you can always get a MPH later on. In other words, it's better to do well towards your DO degree, than having 2 degree that you did so so. (Not saying you're not capable but just the impression I got from them:)).

this is a booklist for classes or studying for step 1? or is it the same thing?

I intended it to be a booklist to study for your classes, but since you bring it up . . .

Years 1 + 2 should be two years of studying for Step 1. :) This is CRITICAL. Don't want till the end of your second year to start thinking about Step 1.

bth

I intended it to be a booklist to study for your classes, but since you bring it up . . .

Years 1 + 2 should be two years of studying for Step 1. :) This is CRITICAL. Don't want till the end of your second year to start thinking about Step 1.

bth

is this a list that you made (which was really comprehensive, thanks!)? does the school give some other list of text books for required readings - or how does that work?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Clueless from NY

Getting from Alameda through to Berkeley will probably be really traffic-heavy, because everyone from Alameda, Oakland, etc. will be commuting into San Francisco across the Bay Bridge. Once you're past Berkeley, traffic should be minimal. However, you may want to consider living a little farther north if possible, just to cut out some of the traffic on the freeway. OR you could live in San Francisco and your boyfriend could take Caltrain down to San Jose (www.caltrain.com). I have friends that commute to Palo Alto and Mountain View using it, and they're pretty happy with the service.

I'll be commuting to Touro from SF, but because I'm living in the SOMA/Mission Bay area right near the entrance to the Bay Bridge, I'll miss all of the traffic because it's also the opposite commute from there. I don't expect that the drive will be longer than 40 minutes at that time in the morning, as that's how long it took me on the day of my interview.

Grats to all those who have been accepted. I'm getting pretty anxious to get started.

Quick question: has anyone started receiving emails from school yet? Someone mentioned an email about when classes start. I haven't received anything yet and I want to make sure I'm not missing out.