Touro - Mare Island, Class of 2012!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Grats to all those who have been accepted. I'm getting pretty anxious to get started.

Quick question: has anyone started receiving emails from school yet? Someone mentioned an email about when classes start. I haven't received anything yet and I want to make sure I'm not missing out.

The only email that I've gotten is about financial aid. Someone posted the email you are referring to on TUCOM 2012's facebook page. It was sent out to one student, not the whole class. I think Dr. Haight said something about the listserv being up in May.

I feel the same way as you about getting started...I'm very much looking forward!

Members don't see this ad.

The only email that I've gotten is about financial aid. Someone posted the email you are referring to on TUCOM 2012's facebook page. It was sent out to one student, not the whole class. I think Dr. Haight said something about the listserv being up in May.

I feel the same way as you about getting started...I'm very much looking forward!

same thing for me with the emails... im excited to move to california after all the awesome things ive heard about SF area :)

I am wondering if anyone is interested in living in a house on the island?? I'm looking for house mates. A room is available with a private bathroom (not a master bdrm) at an amazing price! Utilities are included in the rent and you can move in in the summer. Females only please. If interested, please pm me with ur info Asap!
Where u're from, what yr at touro, what type of house mate ur looking for, etc..

No pets please.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Bth,

The textbook list was very helpful. Thank you for continuing to be an amazing resource and mentor for us newbies.

I'll be commuting to Touro from SF, but because I'm living in the SOMA/Mission Bay area right near the entrance to the Bay Bridge, I'll miss all of the traffic because it's also the opposite commute from there. I don't expect that the drive will be longer than 40 minutes at that time in the morning, as that's how long it took me on the day of my interview.[/quote]

Thanks for all the advice about the Alameda travel!!! Really appreciate it!

Hey Skier06,

Do you have any suggestions on where to live in SF. I plan to visit some time in June to check things out. How is parking in SF and other quirks I should be aware of if I live in SF?

Hey Guys-

I don't mean to burst any bubbles, but I'm not sure that living in the city is a good idea in terms of the commute. Although you will have a "reverse commute" in the morning, evenings can be really bad getting across the bay bridge. I can't even count how many times I've just been sitting before the toll plaza, even with fastrak. Do you guys really want to spend 2-3 hours in the car, every day? You will also have to pay a $4 toll to cross the Carquienez bridge and then another $4 to get back into the city. My family is in SF and I would love to live there, but definitely not for years 1 & 2.

Just my 2 cents.

im visiting in may to scope out housing and planning to move in july. im looking at the berkeley/emeryville area near 80 so no tolls, no bridges just straight highway (im hoping it will be 30 minutes). my husband will be working in mountain view so this was the best spot for me, making his commute about an hour (but he'll have a company bus with internet access).

im visiting in may to scope out housing and planning to move in july. im looking at the berkeley/emeryville area near 80 so no tolls, no bridges just straight highway (im hoping it will be 30 minutes). my husband will be working in mountain view so this was the best spot for me, making his commute about an hour (but he'll have a company bus with internet access).

You will indeed have a toll. The Carquienez bridge is $4. Berkeley to Touro is roughly 45 minutes.

FYI, if you decide to live in Berkeley, you are still subject to the $4 bridge toll when you enter Vallejo. I agree with bluemonkey, living in SF may not be the best option. I already live here, and wouldn't dream of braving either the drive OR ferryboat to school everyday. Trust me, I know. I've had to commute to Berkeley for college and it wasn't pretty. You'll be spending not only a lot of your precious time, but also your $$$.

Honestly, if you want to avoid tolls altogether, I suggest you find a place in either Benicia or Vallejo IMHO.

FYI, if you decide to live in Berkeley, you are still subject to the $4 bridge toll when you enter Vallejo. I agree with bluemonkey, living in SF may not be the best option. I already live here, and wouldn't dream of braving either the drive OR ferryboat to school everyday. Trust me, I know. I've had to commute to Berkeley for college and it wasn't pretty. You'll be spending not only a lot of your precious time, but also your $$$.

Honestly, if you want to avoid tolls altogether, I suggest you find a place in either Benicia or Vallejo IMHO.

ahh, yes - entering vallejo will have a toll :( but that can't be helped as my husband will be working in mountain view and the berkeley area is about as far north as we can live. ill be scoping out the drive soon!

Hey BlueMonkey,

I agree, I am just trying to make the best of my situation. My BF willl be working in San Jose. I am trying to figure out the best place to leave in between san jose and touro. If you have any other town suggestions I would greatly appreciate the input. I would rather use public transportation but I feel Mare Island is pretty limited. I work in New York City now and do not mind over an hour commute bc I can read. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Hey Skier06,

Do you have any suggestions on where to live in SF. I plan to visit some time in June to check things out. How is parking in SF and other quirks I should be aware of if I live in SF?

Parking in SF can be RIDICULOUS. Either expect to pay, or live somewhere where it's a bit easier. For example, parking in Potrero Hill is really easy. Parking in the Mission, the neighborhood just to the west? Crazy. If you do decide to live in SF though, I would recommend living in the SOMA/Mission Bay/Mission/Potrero Hill areas in terms of the commute both for you and your boyfriend - close to the highways and to Caltrain if he ever wants to take that. When you're looking at neighborhoods to live, check out the parking situation at several different times of day, that'll give you a good idea on whether you'd need to buy garage parking or not.

Hey Guys-

I don't mean to burst any bubbles, but I'm not sure that living in the city is a good idea in terms of the commute. Although you will have a "reverse commute" in the morning, evenings can be really bad getting across the bay bridge. I can't even count how many times I've just been sitting before the toll plaza, even with fastrak. Do you guys really want to spend 2-3 hours in the car, every day? You will also have to pay a $4 toll to cross the Carquienez bridge and then another $4 to get back into the city. My family is in SF and I would love to live there, but definitely not for years 1 & 2.

Just my 2 cents.

Although this is a good point (believe me, I sat in traffic a lot last summer when I worked in Berkeley), the point is that a lot of us have to compromise with our partners in terms of where we live. It is true that having a commute may be time-consuming on certain days.

But for me, I'd much rather live with my boyfriend (who needs to live in the city due to his residency so he's close to all of the hospitals) and get to see each other a little bit every day, than see him every 2nd or 3rd weekend that he's not on call. So I'll suck it up for this year while he's still in training, and then next year move closer to school.

To me, it's worth it, and from other people's posts I think it's worth it to them as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although this is a good point (believe me, I sat in traffic a lot last summer when I worked in Berkeley), the point is that a lot of us have to compromise with our partners in terms of where we live. It is true that having a commute may be time-consuming on certain days.

But for me, I'd much rather live with my boyfriend (who needs to live in the city due to his residency so he's close to all of the hospitals) and get to see each other a little bit every day, than see him every 2nd or 3rd weekend that he's not on call. So I'll suck it up for this year while he's still in training, and then next year move closer to school.

To me, it's worth it, and from other people's posts I think it's worth it to them as well.

exactly :)

I can totally appreciate the relationship situation. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic about the commute times. I wasn't sure if you all were from the area or not. Definitely make sure to invest in fastrak and/or look into carpooling with each other. Both of these can really help speed up travel times. There is some good information about bay area transit here and you can get info about fastrak as well. I know there is a San Francisco/Vallejo ferry as well, but I don't know about the cost or time.

Looking forward to meeting you all!!!

if people are around before august.. maybe we can coordinate a get together?

if people are around before august.. maybe we can coordinate a get together?

Oooh yes! I'll be in SF starting May 6th, with a brief interlude in late May where I have to go back to NY and graduate :D A get together is definitely in order!

ill be looking at apts the 2nd week of may... but i think more people will have moved to the area in july - maybe it would be better to plan something mid-july?

I will probable move in the last week of July or by August 1st. I am cutting it close but thought school started a little bit later and booked a vacation July 19-26th. But definetely interested in meeting up, especially if I will be living close to some of you!

I'm moving next week :):):) to Rockridge. If anyone is around, that would be great to meet up anytime. See you all soon!

Now, back to packing :mad:

I'm moving next week :):):) to Rockridge. If anyone is around, that would be great to meet up anytime. See you all soon!

Now, back to packing :mad:

PM me when you're in town. I'm in north Berkeley

Hey all,

I live in Marin now. I love it and the commute is only 20-25 mins with NO tolls. It's a gorgeous area, much better than Vallejo.

I'm open to meeting up any time. I'm just running out the clock here at work.

guys/gals

any word on financial aid from Touro? I submitted all the forms a week ago and have heard ZIP..

havent heard back from financial aid either :(

about meeting - there is a Touro CA 2012 facebook group where we were discussing it... people seem to be free on May 10th and then maybe again later in the summer when more people will have moved to the area.

Same with me. I submitted my financial aid back in February. Still haven't heard anything except an email telling me that I needed to change one of my lenders.

Does anyone remember what they said about financial aid? I think (and this is just an I think) they said that Touro doesn't give institutional aid. Does anyone else remember this?

there is a Touro CA 2012 facebook group where we were discussing it.

I finally just joined the group aka my identity is now public :) Keys, who are you? PM me, we can be facebook friends! Hahaha

Haven't heard anything from finaid either. Emailed and they said I just have to wait.

Any ideas or am I out of luck? :confused:

Thanks for any input.

'fraid so. the class of 2012 is full (last interviews were two weeks ago), and they'll only be pulling from waitlist now. in addition, if they made one exception, they'd have to make a whole lot of other exceptions, which they certainly aren't set up to do.

apply for next year. you're looking at 7 years of school and residency, no matter what. an extra year is nothing in the long run.

I can totally appreciate the relationship situation. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic about the commute times. I wasn't sure if you all were from the area or not. Definitely make sure to invest in fastrak and/or look into carpooling with each other. Both of these can really help speed up travel times. There is some good information about bay area transit here and you can get info about fastrak as well. I know there is a San Francisco/Vallejo ferry as well, but I don't know about the cost or time.

Looking forward to meeting you all!!!

The ferry is about an hour each way, $25 round trip, and then you still have to get to campus, which is a couple miles from the ferry terminal. unless you're not living on student loans, that's not really doable on the amount of money we have to live on!! it's a lovely way to get to the city and back though! more info: http://www.baylinkferry.com

I'm with Bluemonkey on this one. A commute from the city would be so not worth it! but you have to do what you have to do.

The ferry is about an hour each way, $25 round trip, and then you still have to get to campus, which is a couple miles from the ferry terminal. unless you're not living on student loans, that's not really doable on the amount of money we have to live on!! it's a lovely way to get to the city and back though! more info: http://www.baylinkferry.com

I'm with Bluemonkey on this one. A commute from the city would be so not worth it! but you have to do what you have to do.

I did it for one year. It was worth it. :)

Hey bth7

How did you get to school everyday? What route did you take and where were you coming from? Thanks, this information will be reallly helpful as to where I will narrow down where I live.

Hey bth7

How did you get to school everyday? What route did you take and where were you coming from? Thanks, this information will be reallly helpful as to where I will narrow down where I live.

Amazing what you can find by searching past threads . . .

Hey y'all,

Here's a resource that might help you begin your search.

Housing Maps for Vallejo

This is a combo of Google Maps and Craigslist. Vallejo is in the upper left hand corner with all the red/yellow flags in it. Play around with it a bit, you can zoom in on Vallejo, change the price range, etc. Just to get a feel for what's available. You can search in other areas of the bay as well.

Here's an example of a place, very close/similar to where I live. Neighborhood called "Vallejo Heights" as it sits on a big hill. Nice views of the bay.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/656994504.html

Overall advice, you pick which one best represents you. The #1 most important thing is what will make you happy. Everyone's different:

"I want to live really close to school." - live in Vallejo (5 min commute)
"I want to live close to school, but I want to live in a newer, gated community." - live in Glen Cove / Benicia (10-15min commute)
"I want to live close to school but also closer to SF." - live in El Cerrito (20min commute to school/ $3 toll each day. 20 min drive to SF.)
"I want to live somewhere where I can walk to restaurants, bars and coffee shops, my Yoga class and a Organic Health Food Store & close to SF." - live in Albany / Berkeley (25min commute, $3 toll each day, or carpool for free. 15 min drive to SF.)
"I want to live in a true urban environment but SF is just to far for me." live in Oakland, near Lake Merritt. (35min commute, $3 toll - or carpool for free.)
"I have to live in one of the world's MOST fabulous cities." Live in SF. Take the 55 min ferry each day or drive 50 min each way.
"I am looking to buy a house, possibly make some money over next two years." Call a Realtor. Definitely shop in Vallejo. It's a buyers market out there.

Things to avoid:
#1 living in the dorms or on Mare Island.
#2 moving further out: Napa, Fairfield, Martinez, San Rafael - I don't recommend this unless you have some specific reason to do so, i.e. family, spouse's job, a house there, etc. It has been done, and it seems to not work out unless you have some specific reason. You will be far from school & far from SF = not happy.

All of the options I'm listing above are things that multiple students are actually doing, right now. Any option can work, depending on what you want. I lived in SF first year and really had a blast, school was easier for me first year so I could handle just coming 3 days a week (have lots of science background.) 2nd year is a bit more demanding academically, I live in Vallejo and that's working well for me too. I can go out on week-ends when I care too. However, this is actually the opposite of the average pattern of Touro students. Most students are nervous about school and unfamiliar with the area, so they live in Vallejo / Benicia / Glen Cove their first year. Then everyone realizes that being close to school is not necessarily going to make you study more, and so they move further out - Berkeley, Oakland, even SF for second year.

Consider this - med school is hard, and it gets worse as you go along. You must find ways to keep yourself sane and happy. Put some time into deciding what that looks like for you. Don't be freaked out about school, it is hard, but you can do it - especially if you balance. Your housing is key to finding that balance.

bth7

If you do really want to live in SF, you have three options.
1. Live close to the Golden Gate Bridge. (Touro is 55 minutes from the GGB, Traffic is consistently good.)
2. Live close to the Bay Bridge. (Touro is 50 minutes from this bridge, but traffic is unpreditable in the afternoons, and can sometimes be horrendous around 5-7pm coming back in to the city)
3. Live close to the SF ferry terminal and leave your car at the Vallejo Ferry Terminal (It's free.) This is the most expensive option. But also the most pleasent. The ferrys have big tables and electricity, you can sit and study or just sleep for the 50-55 min ride.

Carpooling with others who live close to GGB or BB will of course save you mucho $$ in tolls.

Also consider this. Everyone starts out going to Touro 5 days/week. Then slowly, over the course of the next year, you realize that there is NO WAY you could possible go to all your classes & study what you need to know. (Seriously, it is just not possible.) But the end of first year, the numbers of people in the lecture takes a serious nose dive. By the end of second year, the lecture hall is practically a ghost town.

I don't know what the current situation with required attendance is. There are certain labs you are required to go to. Usually 3 days a week. The most important thing is what works for you. You have a lot to learn, and only you can decide where, when and how you are going to learn the material so that you can rock out during Block Weeks, and on Step 1. This is what matters. Keep your eye of the prize.

bth7

if you are in town and want to meet some fellow 2012 touro peoples come to cha cha chas (in mission) :D at 9pm!!

I just spoke with someone from the financial aid dept - this is what she said:

- They send out award letters based on when different programs start their program, since the medical school starts in the middle of the bunch, we should be receiving award letters in June. We can accept/decline the amount in the letter.

- Tuition is directly paid to the school from your lender

Thats all :)

Dear Friends,

Some of you might be aware that many Jews mark tonight and tomorrow, the 27th of Nissan in the Hebrew calendar, as "Yom HaShoah" -- a day of remembrance of "the Holocaust" -- specifically commemorating the murder of 6 million Jews and 5 million other victims of the Nazis. Many observant Jews include remembrances of this holocaust along with commemorating and learning from other tragedies in our history on "Tish'a B'Av (the 9th of Av)" in the summer, so Yom HaShoah has not become a full-fledged national holiday marked unanimously by the entire Jewish people. Also, many communities
i3u6kgsrh7wd7md6
conduct programs about the Nazi holocaust in November on "Kristallnacht". Nevertheless, some do offer programs on this day.

Here at Touro, we do a program for Kristallnacht, and we also say prayers for and learn lessons from the Nazi holocaust along with other tragedies on the day of Tish'a B'Av. Although we don't do a program for Yom HaShoah, I wanted to acknowledge and inform you about it.

Even more than that, I want to draw your attention to a way that we can concretely use the lessons of one tragedy to motivate us to stand against and deter others. Specifically, I am copying into this email a notice I received from the American Jewish World Service publicizing such a campaign.

To be honest, I faced a bit of a dilemma regarding whether to forward this to you all, as I realize some could view this as a political piece and we generally discourage dissemination of political material in our Touro lists. On the other hand, it would go against our values to remain silent while people suffer and we could do something about it. So, hoping for your indulgence, I am sending this out. If you do not feel so moved to act on this particular cause, perhaps you can select another cause that does move you and you can act on that one instead.

Please scroll down to the bottom of this email and read the relevant quotes I've added.

May the memories of those martyred by the Nazis serve as inspiration to us to vigilantly oppose persecution of others, and to treat each other on both personal and national levels with justice and love.

Amen.
darfur108_hbtext.gif

TELL THE PRESIDENT TO DO THE RIGHT THING. SIGN THE OPEN LETTER.

darfur108_sbphoto.gif

Dear Rabbi,

Tonight marks the beginning of Yom HaShoah, Holocaust Remembrance Day, when we honor the memory of the six million Jews who were slaughtered while the world stood silently by. As Jews, we have a deep understanding of the danger of inaction in the face of genocide. And so Yom HaShoah also serves as a reminder that as global citizens and advocates for justice, there is much more that we can do - especially for the people of Darfur.

This Yom HaShoah, please join me and other members of the AJWS community by signing an open letter that calls on President Bush not to attend the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in Beijing. AJWS will deliver signatures to the White House on Monday, May 12.

China has acted as both an enabler and protector of the government of Sudan. Since 2004, China has supplied 90 percent of all small arms purchased by Sudan - weapons used in the murder and forced displacement of hundreds of thousands of Darfuri people. And as Sudan's largest trading partner, China continually thwarts international action to end the violence in Darfur. The attendance of President Bush at the opening ceremony would implicitly endorse the actions of the government of China.

In the words of Elie Wiesel, "a memorial unresponsive to the future would violate the memory of the past." Please join me in taking action for the people of Darfur this Yom HaShoah by signing the open letter to President Bush asking him not to attend the opening ceremony of the Olympics this summer.

Sincerely,

hardask2_sig.gif

Ruth Messinger
President, AJWS

Take Action

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

George Santayana (16 December 1863 in Madrid, Spain – 26 September 1952 in Rome, Italy), was a philosopher, essayist, poet and novelist.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemöller (14 January 1892 – 6 March 1984) was a Protestant pastor and social activist.

Shalom!

Yitzchak (Kenny) Kaufman
Rabbi, Director of Campus Life

Touro University, Mare Island, California

(707) 638-5507
[email protected]

Class of 2012...CONGRATS!

Gosh, it's pretty cool to get on here and relive how exciting it was to actually get into med school and have your future set. I'm a second year at Touro right now and I can definitely tell you with confidence that you will be getting a great education here. The teachers really care and will make sure that you stay on track.

I have a lot of books that I've barely marked in that I need to sell. These books will suffice completely for both your first and second years and cover all the subjects that you will be taking as they are all the required books. PM me if you're interested in buying them.

Congrats again on your acceptance and all the best!

Dear Class of 2012,

I am an OMSII ready to move to Long Beach for my rotations. I have a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath place literally 6 minutes away from school in Vallejo. It is in a safe area (those are far and few between in Vallejo if you are not on Mare Island). I will be moving out June 11th so it will be free for move in at that time. Anyways if you are interested in renting or purchase please contact me.

[email protected]

Good luck next year,

Matt

Hey Guys,

I have been thinking about moving to Oakland. Any suggestions? Any one living there now? I believe the rule is to live above MacArthur towards the Piedmont area. Not sure what to expect from Oakland because of crime.

I am wondering if anyone is interested in living in a house on the island? I'm looking for house mates. A room is available with a private bathroom (not a master bdrm) at a great price! Females preferred. No pets please. If interested, please pm me with ur info Asap!
Where u're from, what yr at touro, what type of house mate ur looking for, etc..
Thank you. :)

Hello Matriculating class of 2012!

I am currently a first year--counting down the days to my exam and eventually becoming a second year. I am writing to tell you guys about two great clubs:

First, the Touro Univeristy Gay Straight Alliance is a great organization where you can be in touch with classmates and professors who are Gay-friendly, attend group events such as rock bands etc in the San Francisco Bay Area, and stay informed about issues and scholarships pertaining to the LGBT community. This organization is open to everyone, gay and straight alike. We also host a potluck at a faculty member's house 2 - 3 times per year. Dr. Strebel and Dr. McCaffrey are major supporters of this organization and would look forward to meeting you all. If you would like to be part on our email listserve, email me at:

Kenneth Leong
[email protected]
TUGSA co-president

OPSC -- the Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons of California--is another organization not to be missed. It sponsors your white coats which you will use during Clinical Shadowing Opportunities as well as for the "White Coat Ceremony." The organization is a politiclly active organization that Lobbys on behalf of osteopathic physicians in California. They have a large membership base, and have many mentoring opportunities for students. Email myself, Treasurer of OPSC, or Annete Hulse, President. Annette Hulse [[email protected]]

We are also planning on hosting a pre-matriculation gathering at one of the professor's homes on behalf of OPSC.

Best,
Kenneth Leong

Hello Matriculating class of 2012!

I am currently a first year--counting down the days to my exam and eventually becoming a second year. I am writing to tell you guys about two great clubs:

First, the Touro Univeristy Gay Straight Alliance is a great organization where you can be in touch with classmates and professors who are Gay-friendly, attend group events such as rock bands etc in the San Francisco Bay Area, and stay informed about issues and scholarships pertaining to the LGBT community. This organization is open to everyone, gay and straight alike. We also host a potluck at a faculty member's house 2 - 3 times per year. Dr. Strebel and Dr. McCaffrey are major supporters of this organization and would look forward to meeting you all. If you would like to be part on our email listserve, email me at:

Kenneth Leong
[email protected]
TUGSA co-president

OPSC -- the Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons of California--is another organization not to be missed. It sponsors your white coats which you will use during Clinical Shadowing Opportunities as well as for the "White Coat Ceremony." The organization is a politiclly active organization that Lobbys on behalf of osteopathic physicians in California. They have a large membership base, and have many mentoring opportunities for students. Email myself, Treasurer of OPSC, or Annete Hulse, President. Annette Hulse [[email protected]]

We are also planning on hosting a pre-matriculation gathering at one of the professor's homes on behalf of OPSC.

Best,
Kenneth Leong

Hey folks,

Here's a recent article featuring several Touro University students.

http://www.tugsa.net/pub_do0508outnotloud.pdf

bth

Hey Guys,

I have been thinking about moving to Oakland. Any suggestions? Any one living there now? I believe the rule is to live above MacArthur towards the Piedmont area. Not sure what to expect from Oakland because of crime.

I went to college in Oakland, and the general rule is avoid the areas between 580 and 880. if you go north of 580, you're mostly in the hills, lakeshore, piedmont, etc, you're pretty much ok. that said, I lived between the freeways for four years and never felt unsafe.

I was originally planning on living in Oakland this year, and was going to do West Oakland, because getting to the freeway is relatively easy, and I would avoid the maze. West Oakland is gentrifying, and so some areas are really nice, and some are really not. it also means that some areas are really expensive, and some are not. areas like Piedmont, Lakeshore, etc, can be very hard to find a reasonably priced apartment in, and living alone on student loans, I couldn't have done it.

I ended up in Vallejo, and honestly couldn't be happier with my 8 minute commute. but I miss Oakland dearly!!

if you have any specific questions about Oaktown shoot me a personal message. I haven't lived here in a few years, but it's still home to me.

Hey everyone!!! I'm a fellow TUCOM class of 2012 member, and I wanted to say Hi to everyone! i dunno about any of you, but two years in the application process REALLY burned me out! I feel once I got accepted, I paid my first deposit and just sat back doing nothing!! Now, I'm worried, bc I need to get back on the ball!!!

Ok, so I know the second deposit is due in a few days (oops!), but also, I haven't yet filled out my FAFSA... am I WAY TOO LATE?!?!?

Also, what about scholarships?? Too late?

Housing I dont think I can decide on until I get there, but what's the latest you all think I could push moving out there? (or at least visiting to find a place?) I'm hoping to find a place in mid-July..but most likely I'll have to pay for all of July, so maybe I should go next month to look???

Is there anything else I need to do? I remember getting a letter about registration..any word on that?

I feel very uncharacteristically irresponsible, but I know SDN and I know THIS is the place to get the most help and get my Qs answered in the best way!

Thanks everyone!

I went to college in Oakland, and the general rule is avoid the areas between 580 and 880. if you go north of 580, you're mostly in the hills, lakeshore, piedmont, etc, you're pretty much ok. that said, I lived between the freeways for four years and never felt unsafe.

I was originally planning on living in Oakland this year, and was going to do West Oakland, because getting to the freeway is relatively easy, and I would avoid the maze. West Oakland is gentrifying, and so some areas are really nice, and some are really not. it also means that some areas are really expensive, and some are not. areas like Piedmont, Lakeshore, etc, can be very hard to find a reasonably priced apartment in, and living alone on student loans, I couldn't have done it.

I ended up in Vallejo, and honestly couldn't be happier with my 8 minute commute. but I miss Oakland dearly!!

if you have any specific questions about Oaktown shoot me a personal message. I haven't lived here in a few years, but it's still home to me.

Thanks nerdgrrl! What about the Jack London area too? I heard it was relatively safe.

Hey Class of 2012,

congrats on getting in. If any of you are interested in housing I have one room left in a 4bed/2.5 bath (soon to be 3 full baths) brand new home on mare island. Only 2-5 minutes from school!!

Furnishings include a brand new full bed in each room, bright ceiling lights suited for studying, sofas and coffee table, dining table, and some kitchen essentials.

You'll be living with a 2nd year DO (me, Eric), a 1st year DO(male), and a 2nd year Pharm(female). The room is about 10' x 11' with a closet. The room is big enough to fit a desk and a dresser in and still have enough room.

The house has a 2 car garage, washer and dryer, a/c and heat, granite countertops throughout, and more

Rent is 600 (august to the end of may). Deposit is 600. Longer/earlier leases are negotiable. Utilities included in the rent are water, garbage, and internet. Open to either male or female roommates

Please email me, Eric, at [email protected] if you're interested.

See you guys in the fall!