Touro College of Pharmacy NY - Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My $2000 deposit due date is coming up......... :( & :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

what's the policy on being late to class like for traffic reasons? does that really affect the student?

Well, if I'm gonna be more than 15 minutes late, I don't go to class period. Just for christ's sake, if you're late at all, don't use the front door to enter the class. Come into the lecture hall from the rear entrance and find a seat in the back. It's there for a reason, so you don't disturb the class.

Well, if I'm gonna be more than 15 minutes late, I don't go to class period. Just for christ's sake, if you're late at all, don't use the front door to enter the class. Come into the lecture hall from the rear entrance and find a seat in the back. It's there for a reason, so you don't disturb the class.
Are there any penalties for not attending class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any penalties for not attending class?

No direct penalties. Some professors say that attendance is 10% of your grade and they randomly choose a day where there is a sign in sheet in the front of the room. Some days there is a random quiz. And some days we have these group work cases and whatnot (these were actually made because people told the professors they weren't coming to class because some professors were just reading off the slides).

Guys, those who are accepted, can you please, and honestly share with us Your GPA and PCAT score
I will Share mine 3.4 GPA and PCAT of 70%
THere are so many people i know who want to apply but they feel ther are not competitive enough. Even my boy friend wants to apply to touro. ANY HELP

Ill share: GPA of 3.5 from an engineering school. PCAT of 56% and about 8 yrs of work in the life science industry. I think being well balanced matters more than individual scores. I thought I stood no chance with my PCAT score, so noone should be intimidated. My advice be well balanced and you should be OK.

No direct penalties. Some professors say that attendance is 10% of your grade and they randomly choose a day where there is a sign in sheet in the front of the room. Some days there is a random quiz. And some days we have these group work cases and whatnot (these were actually made because people told the professors they weren't coming to class because some professors were just reading off the slides).

but mostly you're just graded on tests and work projects, correct? what average do you have to maintain in school?

hey sparda, when do you guys have spring break? i just don't want to send in my deposit on a day the office will be closed.

Hey guys from touro OR Sparda ... I'm off right now and have nothing to do what do you sugest I study for now??? (brand, generic or maybe calculations)? and do you know anyone who is willing to sell there books?

Hey guys from touro OR Sparda ... I'm off right now and have nothing to do what do you sugest I study for now??? (brand, generic or maybe calculations)? and do you know anyone who is willing to sell there books?

DO NOT STUDY. RELAX.

hey sparda, when do you guys have spring break? i just don't want to send in my deposit on a day the office will be closed.

March 26-April 9

but mostly you're just graded on tests and work projects, correct? what average do you have to maintain in school?

Maintain 2.0 GPA. No F's.

Does anybody know when the background check is due???
I just got e-mail for the background check and was just wondering when I have to complete this by...

Does anybody know when the background check is due???
I just got e-mail for the background check and was just wondering when I have to complete this by...

it takes two seconds, you may as well just do it as soon as you can. dont wanna take any risks

it takes two seconds, you may as well just do it as soon as you can. dont wanna take any risks

How to make sure the school got it though !??
do they get it once the results are out

Members don't see this ad :)
How to make sure the school got it though !??
do they get it once the results are out

This is how I understand the whole process:
Once you get another e-mail saying your background check was completed, you need to log back into the site and it should have the date when they will send it to the school. You have about ten days to review your report. After looking at it, you can click the release button which will release the report right away or you can do nothing and they will automatically send it to the designated school on that date.

Oh wow, I am from South Seattle (close to International District). Are you going to Touro this year? Let me know so we can plan together in finding a place to stay or something. Are you a guy or gal?
I am going to Touro!!i am a girl, how about u?

is it easy to find pharmacy jobs as a full-time student? if so, does the school help you find them?

Hey, does anyone have the book list for P1, do they change textbooks often or even the editions of the books? Are there any of you selling your books?

hey, does anyone have the book list for p1, do they change textbooks often or even the editions of the books? Are there any of you selling your books?

each year, the book list changes a little so wait for the new list

each year, the book list changes a little so wait for the new list
when does this list come out, i also wonder if the schedual and the list of the professor who teach the first year will be avaliable to us around this time.

Seems like everyone who applied to Touro got in if SDN is used as a representative sample. Is it the first choice school of anyone not from the local area?

Hey guys ... been following these threads for quite a bit now.
sparda, onehot and transormer, thanks a lot for coming through and dedicate your valuable time (sparda definitely missed on some gaming time) to answer many questions and concerns while also providing folks with some valuable insights.
I also was accepted recently to the school and therefore would like to know how the school is as far as faculty, student spirit and motivation levels, organization, knowledge, connections,and whether it is worth it to dedicate the next four years of our valuable lives to attend this new school.

I did see some praising from current student on here, but nothing was as concrete yet. please be kind enough to share bottom line info with us as to how well does the school deliver its services.

hey guys just wanted to introduce myself.. i've been reading this thread all the time and decided to join.. i got into Touro as well. I have couple of questions. Any help is appreciated.

1. I live in Forest Hills, Queens and thinking of taking my car to school. But its in Harlem and I'm worried for my car. How fast can I get to school and what is the best route? Any tolls? What is the best time to come back home without traffic?
2. What are the quietest places in the building to study?
3. Still debating on netbook or laptop. Any suggestions?
4. How is the workload and how long on average do you guys study?
5. Silly question but do we have to pay the full tuition before the classes begin or we have a whole school year to pay it off?
6. Any suggestions on the loans and most importantly scholarships?

I have many more questions but I will ask them later on. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you and waiting eagerly for answers.

I did see some praising from current student on here, but nothing was as concrete yet. please be kind enough to share bottom line info with us as to how well does the school deliver its services.

Our new pharmacy program is very much a mixed cirrculum. We do a lot of group work (group presentations, group learning sessions), get involved in technology (blackboard sessions, powerpoint presentations), engage ourselves in the community (blood drives, diabetes walk), have patient assesment labs where we learn how to do blood pressure and diabetes screenings, compounding lab is hands on, and student government is active in creating change for the school.

Being in the city of New York and the center of Harlem, it is a unique experience within itself. You are constantly exposed to different cultures, and diverse backgrounds which you probalby would not encounter in any other place in the world. As a member of this diverse community, this gives you a chance to deal with people of all walks of life. This is especially important when you graduate as a pharmacist because you will be dealing with a broad range of patients whos needs might differ with every situation.

From a pharmacy standpoint, you will get rotations where you will see more prevalence of disease such as HIV, diabetes, mental health, and asthma than you would anywhere else in the country. You will get more clinical experience than anyone else being that we are a 2+2 program and because we are located in a section of the city were public health is needed and in demand. That is a lot of hands-on REAL LIFE experience.

You will also get therapeutics and med-chem the 2-3rd week of classes during P1 and continues for every semester thereafter. I don't think many schools will introduce that until later on. Our professor for therapeutics is probably one of the best professors I have ever had. He is also the teacher of the year, you will not be disappointed. You will learn more therapuetics and med chem than you need.

Not to say that the school is absolutely perfect, there are some minor draw backs. Our library is a joke, looks more like a hallway than a library. Our campus consist of just one building, and the neighborhood is not exactly the cleanest. Financial aid is short staffed. Plus other minor things that needs to be adjusted. The Dean is open about making change for the better, once a month we have a townhall meeting where we can talk about our concerns or make requests. We also have a system where we grade our course effectiveness and how it contributes to our overall experience. The facualty takes this under thier consideration on how they can change the course. So if newbies are coming on to SDN and saying how TOURO PHARMACY doesn't care about the students, it is simply UNTRUE!

Overall, I would say its a very rounded cirrculum, you get a little experience with everything to develop into a leader in the field.

Last edited:
hey guys just wanted to introduce myself.. i've been reading this thread all the time and decided to join.. i got into Touro as well. I have couple of questions. Any help is appreciated.

1. I live in Forest Hills, Queens and thinking of taking my car to school. But its in Harlem and I'm worried for my car. How fast can I get to school and what is the best route? Any tolls? What is the best time to come back home without traffic?
5. Silly question but do we have to pay the full tuition before the classes begin or we have a whole school year to pay it off?

I have many more questions but I will ask them later on. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you and waiting eagerly for answers.

1)Sparda knows better than me. Parking looks okay though.
2)We have a series of study rooms, all very quiet
3)Netbook is a better choice if you have to commute, smaller more compact, better battery life.
4)I study everyday for about average 2-3 hours at minimum. Some study much more, before class and after. I take weekends off sometiems depending. But we do have quiz or test every week or multi-test or quiz. Time management is key.
5)Pay off everything
6)Scholarships the school does not supply you will need to have outside sources. The military has full ride if you sign up with them. I have a outside scholarship from where I work but it is only partial.

Hey pharmdtobee I live in Forest Hills Queens tooo. We can CAr pool!!!?? Wich college did you get your degree in?

#1 - If you're anywhere near Queens Blvd, take it to the Grand Central Pkwy west. Go across the RFK(Triborough) Bridge. Once you get to the Manhattan side, there are a few different routes to take. Unfortunately, the simplest route, is the one that takes the most time.

The bridge drops you on 125th street. You could just continue on 125th street to Touro but that could take about 10-15 minutes. My favorite route is, from the RFK bridge, take the FDR North to 155th Street.

It drops you on 155th St and 8th Avenue. At the traffic light, turn left. It's 30 blocks from here to Touro, but I've been able to do it in 5 minutes because it is a very quick 30 blocks. (I'm a bit of a maniac of a driver as well, if there are pedestrians in the crosswalk when I have the green light, I will NOT slow down, I'm just gonna honk and scare the **** out of them).

#2 - Study rooms are the best bet. (You need to be willing to get mean and kick the Osteopathic Medicine students out of the rooms. Despite the fact that the 4th and 5th floor are PHARMACY floors, they think they are more entitled to use the rooms.) There is a quiet area in the library, but for some reason, my fellow P2s are the ones that make the most noise in there. It says "No Talking" all over the place but they just come down to print stuff out and always talk while they are in there.

#3 - If you're gonna drive, just get a decent laptop if you're not a gamer. I just can't stand netbooks, they are way too small. If you want lightweight, get the Macbook Air.

#4 - We study quite a lot. Remember, most schools do this coursework in 3 years, we do it in 2. Sometimes, I study up to 9-10 hours after class.

#1 - If you're anywhere near Queens Blvd, take it to the Grand Central Pkwy west. Go across the RFK(Triborough) Bridge. Once you get to the Manhattan side, there are a few different routes to take. Unfortunately, the simplest route, is the one that takes the most time.

The bridge drops you on 125th street. You could just continue on 125th street to Touro but that could take about 10-15 minutes. My favorite route is, from the RFK bridge, take the FDR North to 155th Street.

It drops you on 155th St and 8th Avenue. At the traffic light, turn left. It's 30 blocks from here to Touro, but I've been able to do it in 5 minutes because it is a very quick 30 blocks. (I'm a bit of a maniac of a driver as well, if there are pedestrians in the crosswalk when I have the green light, I will NOT slow down, I'm just gonna honk and scare the **** out of them).

#2 - Study rooms are the best bet. (You need to be willing to get mean and kick the Osteopathic Medicine students out of the rooms. Despite the fact that the 4th and 5th floor are PHARMACY floors, they think they are more entitled to use the rooms.) There is a quiet area in the library, but for some reason, my fellow P2s are the ones that make the most noise in there. It says "No Talking" all over the place but they just come down to print stuff out and always talk while they are in there.

#3 - If you're gonna drive, just get a decent laptop if you're not a gamer. I just can't stand netbooks, they are way too small. If you want lightweight, get the Macbook Air.

#4 - We study quite a lot. Remember, most schools do this coursework in 3 years, we do it in 2. Sometimes, I study up to 9-10 hours after class.

did you just say, 9 to 10 years after class, so is this daily or just for one class , or a week...this is too much ...oah my gosh...

i need some advices on managing time sparda, and what should we do to prepare for pharmacy school in this free time, believe me we wont go crazy, but some advices please . what would you do honestly if you were in our place. should we study brand/generic. should we buy the books and look at them..advice please sprada.

did you just say, 9 to 10 years after class, so is this daily or just for one class , or a week...this is too much ...oah my gosh...

i need some advices on managing time sparda, and what should we do to prepare for pharmacy school in this free time, believe me we wont go crazy, but some advices please . what would you do honestly if you were in our place. should we study brand/generic. should we buy the books and look at them..advice please sprada.

P1 year and the 1st semester of P2 year, I averaged about 8-9 hours a day of studying after I left class. Meaning, I usually didn't go home until 10PM-11PM, sometimes 2AM. However, there was usually a session or two of Modern Warfare being played every day. That and I study at a hookah bar so it's like I'm chilling and studying at the same time, which is the most effective way for me. I cannot get anything done at the library.

What I would do if I were in your place? Just get B's in whatever classes you're still taking, and go on a LOOONG vacation this summer. Don't work, don't look at any books, DO NOT prepare for pharmacy school. Pharmacy school's coursework, especially at Touro attacked us on Day 1, you're gonna wish you relaxed, partied, went on vacation before starting pharmacy school.

Managing time... basically, you need to learn what classes to spend your time on, and what not to spend time on. For example, in P1 year, I spent 75% of my time on Pathophysiology and Pharmacology, 20% on Pharmaceutics, and 5% on Public Health, and I never studied for ethics, law, and pharmacy history.

By the way, my advice on studying, depends on if you are a gunner or not. If you're one of "those people" who try to get 4.0 GPAs, then my advice is very bad for you. I'm just going for like a 2.5-2.8 GPA.

P1 year and the 1st semester of P2 year, I averaged about 8-9 hours a day of studying after I left class. Meaning, I usually didn't go home until 10PM-11PM, sometimes 2AM. However, there was usually a session or two of Modern Warfare being played every day. That and I study at a hookah bar so it's like I'm chilling and studying at the same time, which is the most effective way for me. I cannot get anything done at the library.

What I would do if I were in your place? Just get B's in whatever classes you're still taking, and go on a LOOONG vacation this summer. Don't work, don't look at any books, DO NOT prepare for pharmacy school. Pharmacy school's coursework, especially at Touro attacked us on Day 1, you're gonna wish you relaxed, partied, went on vacation before starting pharmacy school.

Managing time... basically, you need to learn what classes to spend your time on, and what not to spend time on. For example, in P1 year, I spent 75% of my time on Pathophysiology and Pharmacology, 20% on Pharmaceutics, and 5% on Public Health, and I never studied for ethics, law, and pharmacy history.

By the way, my advice on studying, depends on if you are a gunner or not. If you're one of "those people" who try to get 4.0 GPAs, then my advice is very bad for you. I'm just going for like a 2.5-2.8 GPA.

What if i study, but i am soooo slow in memorization !!! or slow in general. I like taking my time in things !

What if i study, but i am soooo slow in memorization !!! or slow in general. I like taking my time in things !

I suck at memorization too. Just learn the concepts. I keep hearing people talking about wanting to study the Brand/Generic, don't you guys already know most of the Brand/Generics? Haven't you all worked in a pharmacy before? By the way, how many of you had reactions like this when you got the acceptance e-mail?

blackparty.gif

Last edited:
lol my reaction was somewhat similar

how many of you are coming from NJ?

when does this list come out, i also wonder if the schedual and the list of the professor who teach the first year will be avaliable to us around this time.

Book list comes out in the summer.

Book list comes out in the summer.

when exactily though, can you guyz be more specific to when the books come out along with the teacher's list. and how to register for classes.is there more than one professor teaching one course, can we choose, or its already pre-decided for us

when exactily though, can you guyz be more specific to when the books come out along with the teacher's list. and how to register for classes.is there more than one professor teaching one course, can we choose, or its already pre-decided for us

specifically, a month or two before classes start.

You'll learn about how to register and learn who your professors are in your 1st week of class.

There are multiple professors for each class and they are pre-decided.

All of you are going to be in the same classroom at the same time. Can't choose professors.

Does anyone know if Touro Administration is open this week or next and if so which days.

How is everyone working out their fin aid and scholarships etc.
What happens after we fill out fafsa and touro fin aid packets??

I am filling out the financial aid packet and I wonder where can I find the name of my federal stafford loan lenders?

when did you guys get the fin aid packet. Was it sent by email or mail

I did not get financial aid packet too..
Maybe.. is it because I did not pay my deposit yet??

when did you guys get the fin aid packet. Was it sent by email or mail

The financial aid is the form we download on touro website under fin aid. It includes the the packet and the loan request statement.

The financial aid is the form we download on touro website under fin aid. It includes the the packet and the loan request statement.
Guys, any suggestions to where we can apply for scholarships ...please let us know ...
also when is the deadline to submit our financial aid package...thanksssssss you happy easter