Touro-CA MSMHS-COM 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpaceDoctor8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a currently a first year D.O. student attending TUCOM-CA who also did the MSMHS-COM program at Touro. I am starting the forum for any prospective applicants who may have questions relating to the program in the context of admissions, financial aid, housing, social life, anything. I am sure a lot of the former Master's are around SDN and will be more than happy to chime in and answer all the questions you may have! Good luck on your application!

P.S. Feel free to peruse around last year's thread for some good information as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
How long does it take to hear back about an admission decision? My application was verified a month ago on Feb 14th

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it take to hear back about an admission decision? My application was verified a month ago on Feb 14th

Hey Elle,
just so that everyone can see my response, you actually applied on the earlier side of the application cycle (I know weird right?). it is very possible that it will be another month or two until you hear a response. they usually wait until April or so to start sending out the majority of the acceptances. I am not sure why. But if you have applied this past month, not hearing back from them is ok, that does not mean that you are rejected. Unfortunately patience will be your friend here.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Elle,
just so that everyone can see my response, you actually applied on the earlier side of the application cycle (I know weird right?). it is very possible that it will be another month or two until you hear a response. they usually wait until April or so to start sending out the majority of the acceptances. I am not sure why. But if you have applied this past month, not hearing back from them is ok, that does not mean that you are rejected. Unfortunately patience will be your friend here.
Makes sense, thank you! I guess I'll just keep waiting for now..

I applied back in mid February and am still waiting on a decision but if anyone who has applied gets accepted soon please let me know if the decision was posted via the PostBacCas website or through email

Thank you so much @SpaceDoctor8 for creating this forum! I, like a couple of you here, applied to this program and am now waiting for the decision! For any current student/alum. of this program, can you share with us how competitive in general the environment was, and students were throughout your year during this program? My main concern is that I kept reading on previous forums that if a student is not among the top of the class, then he has no chance of getting an interview. Also, how was the program experience in general, as well as the school itself? Did you feel supported throughout that year? Finally, what is your advice as to how to have an easier time getting adjusted to the much bigger work load, as compared to undergraduate years? Thank you very much in advance, and best of luck to everyone who is applying! :)

Sorry I meant to say I haven't heard back yet either...

Heard back today, applied in February got my app verified 2/19

Just got my acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to you!! :) I submitted a bit after you @cardi-o (I submitted 3/1), so it makes sense that I am still waiting, and haven't received a decision yet... I was wondering if they provided you with further info regarding the program, housing, etc.. with the acceptance. Congrats once more!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
As of now, they just said to wait for official instructions and everything to come in a couple days. Will keep you posted though. Thank you! I'm hoping you hear back and get in as well!

As of now, they just said to wait for official instructions and everything to come in a couple days. Will keep you posted though. Thank you! I'm hoping you hear back and get in as well!

Thank you! :)

Hello! Thanks for making this thread! I recently got accepted to this program and I had a few questions about it.

1. Could you elaborate a bit on what the curriculum is like? The link to the curriculum on the website is broken. What kind of classes did you take in the program and do you feel they prepared you for medical school? What kind of research did you do? What was that like?

2. Do you know about how often students of the MSMHS program go on to be accepted by the medical school? Were a fair number of your classmates accepted? What was the class size?

3. How's life in Vallejo? I'm a nontraditional premed with a wife and 3 kids, so my jaw dropped when I started looking at the price of housing up there. Do you have any advice on what areas to look for housing and what areas to avoid?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions!

Sorry - I actually had another question, if you don't mind. Did you do the guaranteed interview? Do you know how it works for the guaranteed interview? Particularly in regards to which cycle you'd be admitted to. I'm wondering if I did the MSMHS program and did the guaranteed interview, would I still have a gap year or would they admit me for that admissions cycle?

Thank you again for this thread. I have a lot of questions and I'm very excited about this program, so I was very happy to see this pop up.

Hello! Thanks for making this thread! I recently got accepted to this program and I had a few questions about it.

1. Could you elaborate a bit on what the curriculum is like? The link to the curriculum on the website is broken. What kind of classes did you take in the program and do you feel they prepared you for medical school? What kind of research did you do? What was that like?

2. Do you know about how often students of the MSMHS program go on to be accepted by the medical school? Were a fair number of your classmates accepted? What was the class size?

3. How's life in Vallejo? I'm a nontraditional premed with a wife and 3 kids, so my jaw dropped when I started looking at the price of housing up there. Do you have any advice on what areas to look for housing and what areas to avoid?

I just wanted to congratulate you on your acceptance, and wish you nothing but the best in this program and beyond!! :) Hopefully, a current student can see your questions soon, and answer them all!

I just wanted to congratulate you on your acceptance, and wish you nothing but the best in this program and beyond!! :) Hopefully, a current student can see your questions soon, and answer them all!

Thank you! Hopefully your questions get answered soon as well. I just saw your post about only top-of-the-class students getting an interview. I like to hope I'll be there, of course, but I'm sure this will be very competitive, so I'm worried haha.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far! And for those still waiting, stay patient! Sometimes they take a little bit of time to send out those acceptances.

Here is the facebook group for newly accepted students, fresh out of the oven: Log into Facebook | Facebook

Feel free to join as a lot of former Master's will be part of the group to help answer any questions you may have! Keep in mind, you must provide some sort of proof (preferably a screenshot of your acceptance) in order to get accepted to the group. Unfortunately, we have had spammers in the past try to join.

Hi Everyone!

Current TUCOM Student and VP of Admissions to the COM program here. Let me know if you guys have any questions about the Master's Program, the COM Program, or TUCOM in general. I'm happy to answer questions about the faculty, the staff, the programs and curriculums. All the current students on this thread are here to support. And if you're a lurker, like I was, feel free just to PM me and we can speak privately.

Best of luck to everyone applying and congratulations to everyone being accepted! The Master's program at TUCOM is a great program to help non-traditional underdog students prepare academically and mentally to get into and succeed in medical school.

Reactions: 5 users

Hi Retro! You may have had your questions answered already but if not I can go over it a little bit.

1) During the Fall you will take Physio I, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Molecular Cell biology, and a Research course (which for the Fall is mostly just biostatistics). During the Spring you will take Pharmacology, Immunology, Anatomy, Physiology II, and Research course (here it is a combined Biostats and research grade). The curriculum in the Master's can be considered "med school lite" in the sense that all the courses are taught by the same professors who teach it in the Med school. The pace of the material compared to medical school will be slower, and you will have more time to study for it. You will have classes from Monday-Friday which at first range from 10 AM- 3PM, but then will eventually ramp up to 8 AM-5 PM to prepare for the med school curriculum. The material is almost the same that you see in the med school curriculum so it is a great preview for you as a Master's students. I believe the program was advantageous in the sense of adapting my study strategies and getting used to a fast paced curriculum, which for some of us was a little bit of an adjustment period. Overall, I feel like it definitely helped prepare me for medical school, especially the transition to diving straight into a huge volume of information. The research component is included in the program mostly in the Spring semester, but it's not a fully fleshed out portion of the program. You get the opportunity to do short term research with a professor of your choosing that can continue into the med school year if you would like.

2) I would say the majority of the MSMHS kids get into COM. For my year (graduated Master's in 2018), 30ish people applied, and 27 or so people got accepted. 23 ended up coming to Touro. I would say it may have been similar for the year previous to us. Our class size started at 64, and on average nowadays, the class starts around 60ish kids. About half of them will apply the same year, and the other half apply the next year.

3) I live outside of Vallejo so I can't speak to Vallejo housing prices, but I have heard good things. Most people live on the island because of proximity and price. If you are looking outside of Vallejo, people live in Fairfield, Benicia, Berkeley, Pinole, Hercules. It is feasible to commute and depends on finances and how close you want to be near the school. Personally, I am fine with commuting from Berkeley because I go against traffic so 25 minutes is not too bad of a commute. Perhaps someone can chime in about living on the island or Vallejo.

Hope this helps!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Sorry - I actually had another question, if you don't mind. Did you do the guaranteed interview? Do you know how it works for the guaranteed interview? Particularly in regards to which cycle you'd be admitted to. I'm wondering if I did the MSMHS program and did the guaranteed interview, would I still have a gap year or would they admit me for that admissions cycle?

Thank you again for this thread. I have a lot of questions and I'm very excited about this program, so I was very happy to see this pop up.

Basically, in order to get the guaranteed interview, your Touro grades are assessed near the end of the 2nd semester, and if you make the cutoff of 3.25+ GPA and 490+ MCAT, then you will get the interview. Granted, even with the interview this DOES NOT guarantee acceptance into the med school, this is important to keep in mind. But it's definitely a positive trend.

Ok here are some scenarios:
1) Let's say you did the master's program this year, and you wanted to go straight into COM next August. You would apply normally, submit your Primary in the fall, secondary in the spring, get the guaranteed interview in May, get accepted, have the summer off, and enter in August.

2) You do the Master's program this year, but you want to wait a year because you want to take the MCAT, you want to work or have to deal with other stuff. If you meet the GPA cutoff, you can still get the guaranteed interview and essentially defer that interview to the year after without any penalty. Many of students do this who have not taken or have to retake the MCAT.

****If you get the guaranteed interview and DO NOT get in, then that is your one chance, you can not get another guaranteed interview, and you would now be considered part of the normal COM pool of applicants. This is not to scare anyone but just to keep in mind as you evaluate if you are ready to send out your application.

Hi Retro! You may have had your questions answered already but if not I can go over it a little bit.

1) During the Fall you will take Physio I, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Molecular Cell biology, and a Research course (which for the Fall is mostly just biostatistics). During the Spring you will take Pharmacology, Immunology, Anatomy, Physiology II, and Research course (here it is a combined Biostats and research grade). The curriculum in the Master's can be considered "med school lite" in the sense that all the courses are taught by the same professors who teach it in the Med school. The pace of the material compared to medical school will be slower, and you will have more time to study for it. You will have classes from Monday-Friday which at first range from 10 AM- 3PM, but then will eventually ramp up to 8 AM-5 PM to prepare for the med school curriculum. The material is almost the same that you see in the med school curriculum so it is a great preview for you as a Master's students. I believe the program was advantageous in the sense of adapting my study strategies and getting used to a fast paced curriculum, which for some of us was a little bit of an adjustment period. Overall, I feel like it definitely helped prepare me for medical school, especially the transition to diving straight into a huge volume of information. The research component is included in the program mostly in the Spring semester, but it's not a fully fleshed out portion of the program. You get the opportunity to do short term research with a professor of your choosing that can continue into the med school year if you would like.

2) I would say the majority of the MSMHS kids get into COM. For my year (graduated Master's in 2018), 30ish people applied, and 27 or so people got accepted. 23 ended up coming to Touro. I would say it may have been similar for the year previous to us. Our class size started at 64, and on average nowadays, the class starts around 60ish kids. About half of them will apply the same year, and the other half apply the next year.

3) I live outside of Vallejo so I can't speak to Vallejo housing prices, but I have heard good things. Most people live on the island because of proximity and price. If you are looking outside of Vallejo, people live in Fairfield, Benicia, Berkeley, Pinole, Hercules. It is feasible to commute and depends on finances and how close you want to be near the school. Personally, I am fine with commuting from Berkeley because I go against traffic so 25 minutes is not too bad of a commute. Perhaps someone can chime in about living on the island or Vallejo.

Hope this helps!

Thanks SpaceDoctor8! I really appreciate all the information! This was very helpful. I just paid my deposit earlier today and am really excited about this program. :D

Does anyone know if deposit is for Fall or Summer 2019?

I did the MSMHS program for 2017-2018 year. I think if you get a gpa of 3.25 or better and mcat of 494 or above you get a guaranteed interview. You have an option to interview for the current admission cycle or you can take a gap year and do the interview the next year. I am doing the gap year and have my interview this monday. hope this helps

I did the MSMHS program for 2017-2018 year. I think if you get a gpa of 3.25 or better and mcat of 494 or above you get a guaranteed interview. You have an option to interview for the current admission cycle or you can take a gap year and do the interview the next year. I am doing the gap year and have my interview this monday. hope this helps

Thank you cirocboyz! I appreciate the information. Good luck at your interview!

1) can someone please confirm if this grading system is what they use
2) are the exams purely based on in-class slides? are there finals?

That grading scale that retro posted is correct. it is a little bit strange, although I came from an undergrad that had grade deflation so I am unfortunately used to it. To answer your other question, the exams are all taken on a program called Examplify on your computer. They are all multiple choice (except for Neuroscience which has some fill in the blank), and are supposed to be based on in class slides. I will say that you should use outside resources to supplement the in class slides just to help with the understanding. This is based on the varying degree of quality of slides from certain professors.

There are finals yes, for every class. During Fall, all finals are cumulative. During Spring, only physiology is cumulative. Hope that answers your questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard anything recently for an acceptance?

I applied 3/1.. my file was verified, and I received an email from them saying everything is complete on 3/14.. Until today, I haven't heard anything from them so I'm starting to get worried :(

I applied 3/1.. my file was verified, and I received an email from them saying everything is complete on 3/14.. Until today, I haven't heard anything from them so I'm starting to get worried :(
I also have not heard back yet but maybe they are still processing applications and it may take a couple more weeks?

I wouldn't worry too much right now. Master's are in the midst of just having finished finals, and they are about to start interviewing in the next couple of weeks. So the admins for the Master's are probably still wrapped up scheduling that. hang tight y'all! it's gonna be ok. there is still time. application processing time with the Master's is very variable, but just because they have not responded doesn't mean they are ignoring your application.

I wouldn't worry too much right now. Master's are in the midst of just having finished finals, and they are about to start interviewing in the next couple of weeks. So the admins for the Master's are probably still wrapped up scheduling that. hang tight y'all! it's gonna be ok. there is still time. application processing time with the Master's is very variable, but just because they have not responded doesn't mean they are ignoring your application.

Thank you! Hoping and praying for that!! :xf:

Hoping for that as well. If anyone else hears back, please keep us posted.

thanks for the replies!!!

My application was verified as of April 3rd. I've heard that students got into the program even a few days after the program has already started. so I think they're pretty wrapped up at the moment. but I hope to hear from them soon.

Anybody who got the acceptance for the Fall 2019 want to share the undergrade GPA???? :D

I was accepted and my uGPA is 3.22. I don't even know if I'm going to be able to attend - it's so ungodly expensive in the bay area!

Received my acceptance yesterday as well! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far, looking forward to meeting you all. I would also like to hear about anyone's experiences with commuting and where the good places to live are.

Got placed on the waitlist yesterday.. Congrats to all who received acceptances! :)

I was accepted and my uGPA is 3.22. I don't even know if I'm going to be able to attend - it's so ungodly expensive in the bay area!

Bay Area is definitely super expensive. As someone not from Cali, I was pretty shook looking at Cali prices. That being said, living on Mare Island can be relatively cost effective.

just got my acceptance email! waiting for official instructions in the mail.

If those who've recently finished the program and got into the DO program can answer the following question(s), that'd be great!!!

I know it's a guarateed interview after meeting the qualifications but let's say I've 493 mcat and GPA of >3.25 and a good interview, does the committee look at your application differently than the general pool? As I'm sure, there'll be plenty of people who would have MCAT of more than that. I wonder if the COM has a certain number of seats reserved for the program graduates.

Hey Duke, I had a classmate in the Master's program who commuted from SF to the island. There was also someone who commuted from Sacramento to the island. I give props to them. It is feasible, but can be time consuming especially during block weeks when you are stressed out. if you can do some kind of carpooling I highly recommend it. The most important thing in the Master's year is to reduce your stress as much as possible because the academic portion of the program is already so intensive.

To help with your other question, although I am a year removed from the Master's program, I am currently a student interviewer and review prospective student applications so I feel like I may be able to speak to this a little bit. Once you enter the Master's program, you are automatically placed in a "different" pool than the non-Master's applicants, which is exactly the pro of being a Master's student. In order to receive a secondary, non-Master's applicants need to have a 502 or higher. When you are being reviewed as a Master's student, the MCAT score is de-emphasized (as long as you reach above 490). For Master's students, the most important things that are valued are the academic performance (atleast a 3.25 GPA roughly), a good interview, AND how they see you as a fit for Touro (aka do you fit in their mission statement, would you be an active member of the student body, etc.). The application is multi-factorial (I know, vague, isn't it), and these are the things that they mostly focus on. Even though they will look at your application at the end of the year, they traditionally save around 15ish seats for Master's every year. However, I would not rely solely on these numbers. They can change that number at any time, and plus that is only the GUARANTEED seats. If they like everyone, then they can accept 30 people, if they don't like anyone, they can accept 0.

What does this all mean? Just focus on doing well in the program, staying engaged as a Touro student, and when the time comes, prepping for your interview. Otherwise, enjoy the ride :)

for those who've been accepted recently, has anybody experienced a problem with validating his/her account?? in my case, i've been unable to check the box for student terms of use/ policies for the last several days.

also, does anybody know the orientation date?

I had a similar problem I just contacted their IT department and they helped me.

Based on the master calender, I think orientation is 8/4-8/5. Here's the link.

thanks! i was able to create my account using a firefox explorer. for some reasons, internet explorer and google chrome didn't work for that particular step. once i got in, i was able to look at the academic calendar!!! did you scan and fill out the response form to email?

also, anybody know how one can get a parking permit and how much it is?
I believe parking is free. All you need is to show valid student ID. More info here :)

Attachments

• Parking.pdf
    12.2 KB · Views: 113
Has anyone heard back yet?
Also what are the stats of the people who got in?
Would love some more info! Just applied to this program. Thank you in advance :)

Has anyone heard back yet?
Also what are the stats of the people who got in?
Would love some more info! Just applied to this program. Thank you in advance :)

If it's worth anything, as long as you have above the application minimum (2.75 GPA I think?), then stats won't matter as much. We look more at the application as a whole. Example-- people with 2.75 GPA and sub 500 MCAT's but amazing extracurriculars and essays have gotten in. People with higher GPA's but mediocre essays and little activities have not gotten in.

Hope that makes sense. Also, admin moves slowly when it comes to reviewing apps. So pull up a recliner and get some snacks. You're playing the waiting game now :)

Thanks for the heads up! I believe I’m the kind of student that matches up with the programs goals! My GPA is competitive for some schools and extracurriculars are definitely the strongest part of my application. I’m specifically applying for this program because this is my first choice medical school. My fiancé is relocating for work in San Francisco so living together would be a blessing! I also love Touro’s active and early student body involvement in different community service projects! I hope to hear a response within the next two weeks (fingers crossed).
I’ve been jumping up each time my phone buzzes to check if it’s from the school lol. A lot of things in my life would change if I were to be accepted. I’d have less than two months to set up everything before classes start. I’m from out of state so I would have to find someone to sublease my apartment and sell my car/other items for some extra cash. Basically the sooner the news, the more leverage and options I’ll have ;)

Then I am sure your application will speak for itself! I just recently got a batch of applications to review so it seems like they are working through them right now. Lots of solid things about Touro and definitely student engagement is one of my favorite things, although there is a delicate balance during the Master's year.

I know that people have gotten responses about their application anywhere between 2-7 weeks after their submission was confirmed, although they should be working on a tighter timeline now (hopefully). I also came from out of state when I applied to the program, so it can be stressful. Esp when you choose a moving company that holds your belongings hostage and you have 3 outfits to cycle through for orientation and the first month of school.....ANYWAYS, I am sure you will hear back soon, fingers crossed that they are starting to make moves, because the Master's program is done and it is officially summer term at Touro so faculty should be on their admin game.

If it's worth anything, as long as you have above the application minimum (2.75 GPA I think?), then stats won't matter as much. We look more at the application as a whole. Example-- people with 2.75 GPA and sub 500 MCAT's but amazing extracurriculars and essays have gotten in. People with higher GPA's but mediocre essays and little activities have not gotten in.

Hope that makes sense. Also, admin moves slowly when it comes to reviewing apps. So pull up a recliner and get some snacks. You're playing the waiting game now :)
Are the extracurriculars limited to what we do during the program? or would any other extracurriculars we have prior to the program also count?