Top Sports Medicine Fellowships for US Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The unknown

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I know this has been asked before, but as we all know programs change over time. At this point, what are the top sports medicine fellowships that offer high level diagnostic and interventional ultrasound training? Which programs offer a formalized ultrasound curriculum with eventual progression to advanced procedures and performing complete diagnostic scans? Thank you for your time and input!

Members don't see this ad.

What you’re looking for is apart of the curriculum at the majority of sports medicine fellowships. Sounds like you want a large academic program. Pick one with a big name that’s in the geographical niche you want to practice in and go for it.

What is your primary specialty? That’ll determine where you can apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any fellowship that gives you access to the ultrasound unit whenever you want it. I spent literally every single day of my fellowship (including weekends and holidays when I was in town) practicing diagnostic ultrasound, usually on myself. I read the entire Bianchi book and went through every online tutorial I could find. Ultrasound is definitely a skill you will have to spend a ton of time practicing to develop competency. On the other hand, if you just want to be able to do ultrasound guided injections, that won’t take nearly as long.

Any fellowship that gives you access to the ultrasound unit whenever you want it. I spent literally every single day of my fellowship (including weekends and holidays when I was in town) practicing diagnostic ultrasound, usually on myself. I read the entire Bianchi book and went through every online tutorial I could find. Ultrasound is definitely a skill you will have to spend a ton of time practicing to develop competency. On the other hand, if you just want to be able to do ultrasound guided injections, that won’t take nearly as long.
Thank you for your input. Based on your response, it seems the program in and of itself isn't as important as having accessibility to an US machine. I guess my question though is, with diagnostics I think it is helpful to have experienced faculty to help you understand variations of normal. As we all know, very rarely does the anatomy look similar to that portrayed in textbooks. Therefore, having experienced faculty that can help for those nuanced situations is helpful. Interested in both diagnostic and advanced ultrasound-guided procedures (eg Tenex, CTR, etc.).

For PM&R-based ones, many (if not all) provide high-level ultrasound training, some higher than others though. Ones that stick out in my mind that are PM&R-based/PM&R-friendly, in no particular order, are Mayo Clinic Rochester, Mayo Clinic Square (Minneapolis), Emory, UPMC, Spaulding/Harvard, WashU (St. Louis), Iowa, U Washington (Seattle), Andrews Institute (Florida), Utah, Columbia/Cornell

Reactions: 1 user