Top Cardiology Programs (kind of)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KRichards62

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In an attempt to avoid the inevitable pissing contest that usually happens with these discussions, I will pose this age old question a little differently. As an IM resident, I am beginning to think more specifically about cardiology fellowship. Of course there are certain programs I already have in mind but with the competitive nature of the specialty, the more options the better. I understand that each program has their own strengths and weaknesses, but unfortunately I do not know exactly what type of cardiology I want to practice yet.

NOT including the obvious (JHU, MGH, BWH, CCF, Mayo, Duke, Columbia, UCSF, Stanford, Wash U, Texas Heart, Penn, Emory, UCLA, BIDMC), what are the best cardiology programs?

Members don't see this ad.

In an attempt to avoid the inevitable pissing contest that usually happens with these discussions, I will pose this age old question a little differently. As an IM resident, I am beginning to think more specifically about cardiology fellowship. Of course there are certain programs I already have in mind but with the competitive nature of the specialty, the more options the better. I understand that each program has their own strengths and weaknesses, but unfortunately I do not know exactly what type of cardiology I want to practice yet.

NOT including the obvious (JHU, MGH, BWH, CCF, Mayo, Duke, Columbia, UCSF, Stanford, Wash U, Texas Heart, Penn, Emory, UCLA, BIDMC), what are the best cardiology programs?

would add university of washington ( esp for bench/clinical research and echo), UAB ( EP, imaging and preventive), Mount Sinai and Michigan (EP) to the list. Also Indiana, Northwestern, Vanderbilt(expanding big time) and U Chicago belong in there somewhere.

You mentioned mostly academic powerhouse programs, which are great for many people but if you're more clinically inclined, I would include:

Indiana University
Cedars Sinai
Mayo Clinic (Scottsdale, Jacksonville)
the Kaisers (LA and SF)
Scripps Clinic
Rush and Loyola in Chicago

Members don't see this ad :)
The programs that are not on your list that I liked while interviewing included: Northwestern (amazing program, great for prevention/imaging but hard to get into) OHSU (good for imaging in a great city) Colorado (good outcomes group in a good city and great public hospital which I consider a plus). I didn't look at Cedars but people go every from UCSF and seem to love it. The fact that they just took all of the UCLA transplant team is going to make it more stronger. I can tell you which program on your list is the BEST program in the country in my opinion (the one I matched at...).

On the East Coast would add:

Washington Hospital Center / Georgetown -- Amazing clinical training with significant clinical research; Great cath/imaging; "Top 20" Heart Hospital

Tufts -- A strong EP group and great clinical work

Rochester -- Int'l center for the MADIT trials, has an active VAD/Transplant group; Just have to tolerate upstate NY winters

Thanks for the great responses. So far we have (west to east)....

- University of Washington
- Oregon Health and Science University
- Scripps Clinic
- Kaisers (SF and LA)
- Cedars Sinai
- Mayo Scottsdale
- University of Colorado
- Northwestern
- University of Chicago
- Loyola
- Rush
- Indiana University
- University of Michigan
- University of Alabama Birmingham (UAB)
- Vanderbilt University
- Washington Hospital Center/Georgetown
- Mayo Jacksonville
- Mount Sinai
- University of Rochester
- Tufts University

What other programs would you guys suggest looking into?

I'd put UNC and UCSD in there too. I'd also second the props to Cedars and Wash Hosp Center, both very strong clinical programs.

William Beaumont is one of the best places for intervention.

How about top places for the subspecialty fellowships? Interventional? EP? Imaging?

How about top places for the subspecialty fellowships? Interventional? EP? Imaging?

good question..

For interventional I wd say CCF, Columbia, some of the private programs listed above ( Beaumont, Cedars), Texas Heart, Duke, MGH and some other private places are great.

EP- Penn, MGH, Beth Israel, Hopkins, Mayo, Michigan, CCF, UAB, UCSF, Indiana

Imaging
Echo- Virginia, Mayo, mgh, CCF, indiana, UCSF, UAB etc most programs actually offer pretty good training

Nuclear-several great programs, i think finding a mentor who supports you is more important

MRI- Duke, UAB, NIH has a great track for MRI , not sure about others.

I wd appreciate if others could weigh in as well..

Last edited:
Interesting thread. What about bench research? Does anyone know about institutes involved in stem cells research?
Any input about University of California Davis?

Thanks.

I went to UNC, and I can honestly say I did not regret my decision. I had several choices - Gtown, Washington, Chicago, and I feel the Chapel Hill education was well worth it. If you are clinically inclined, Georgetown is excellent. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interventional is interesting now... Many of the "top" programs will get you great coronary numbers but if you are looking to come out with excellent peripheral numbers as well you might be surprised how many traditional powerhouse programs don't give you the numbers you need. Many of the private community hospitals that are regional cardiac names do a better job of this and can send you out triple boarded (interventional cards/peripheral endovascular/vascular medicine) and maybe even toss in the vascular ultrasound boards to boot (RPVI)... I could almost see dividing your interventional grouping 3 ways: coronary, peripheral, structural (which will only expand more so once TAVI/Evalve become more ubiquitous). Then again, we might just see more programs adding on years for these (I believe there are only 4 peripheral vascular interventional dedicated programs out there so far, and one - @ BWH - still has low volumes). Definitely an evolving sub-sub-specialty... dare we add another round of "sub" to that?

As a general cards fellow, I personally don't see how someone could become competent in both peripheral vascular and general interventiol (cardiac stenting stuff) in a 1 year interventional fellowship. It needs to be 2 years. Perhaps it could be done if a significant (and I mean VERY significant) part of 3rd year fellowship was all devoted to cath lab.

As a general cards fellow, I personally don't see how someone could become competent in both peripheral vascular and general interventiol (cardiac stenting stuff) in a 1 year interventional fellowship. It needs to be 2 years. Perhaps it could be done if a significant (and I mean VERY significant) part of 3rd year fellowship was all devoted to cath lab.

I'm also a gen cards fellow. I keep in touch with a lot of the graduated fellows who did interventional and have discussed this with them because I'm interested in the same. From what they've told me there are plenty of programs out there teaching peripherals in the one year fellowships. A lot of the two year int fellowships aren't necessarily doing cath stuff with that extra time, they fill it with research and make you run heart failure services etc, at least from my limited anecdotal research. So I don't know how much real experience you're adding with that additional year.

-The Trifling Jester

Anyone have thoughts on Ohio State's cardiology program?

I know I could easily talk to the fellows currently in the program... but from an outsider's perspective, what is this fellowship's national reputation?

Any input about reputation of Intervention cardiology programme at University of Miami Leonard M Miller (JMH) Thanks in advance
OJB
:)

I saw a lot of different programs this fall. Some quick thoughts on a number of them

:

3 strongest programs without a question:

Hopkins:
-- Amazing reputation. Generally considered a top, if not the top program. Strong EP, with great EP research. Hugh Calkins is the new president of heart rhythm.
-- People at the program seemed genuine. Impressive PD, has a great sense of humor and does this routine where he introduces every applicant by memory.
-- Very heavy on research (no surprise).
-- Only obvious weakness I can see is that they don't pay anything, NIH minimum.
-- ?Level 2 training opportunities.

Columbia:
-- Strongest NYC program. They allow applicants to get level 2 training in two fields.
-- Tons of NIH funding. Great opportunities for research.
-- PD seems a bit awkward, but I think he is genuinely invested in the fellows.
-- Really strong in cath and heart failure, weak in EP
-- Met a lot of really nice people, but also some outright snobs. One interviewer told me the only place to train and have an academic career is Columbia. Nevermind that two of my interviewers (including the PD) trained at Sinai, or that she did her training at the university of random. Found it very off-putting in an otherwise amazing program. (Hopkins people could have been just as arrogant, but they just came across as nice people. I think that speaks to a better culture in baltimore, but it is a small sample size).

Duke:
-- Solid all around: great clinical training and fantastic research
-- DCRI houses the data for many clinical trials, and arguably does the most prolific outcomes research in the country
-- People down to earth, friendly
-- Only weakness is Durham

----

Excellent programs that are well-respected in the cardiology community, but not well-known by IM residents:

Tufts:
-- Mark Estes is former head of Heart Rhythm and leads a very strong EP group (though they don't do a lot of VT ablations)
-- HF is very very strong
-- Really good teaching at this program. Superficially, from an applicant view, it seemed like they had the best report, best focus on education.
-- culture at the program seemed strong

U. Rochester:
-- Art Moss is the big name at this institution. He leads all the MADIT-trials and is the world expert in sudden cardiac death.
-- Great culture, very happy fellows
-- Really strong clinical training, get level 2 training across the board. EP group has huge volume, and is well respected by other top EP programs
-- Not well known because of its location

-----
Other NYC programs -- All great clinical programs
-- NYU's fellows seemed happier than just about any program I saw across the country
-- Sinai has Valentin Fuster, but pays a little less than the other programs; for EP recently recruited Vivek Reddy who's a huge star in the field, Sinai also has incredible cath volume
-- On the trail, a lot of NYC people told me that they considered Cornell to be the 4th best program, but with the strongest EP department. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between Cornell, NYU and Sinai, but from an applicant view, I liked the Sinai and NYU people better. Cornell does this group interview that was a bit controversial. A few applicants found it off-putting.
-- Montefiore - solid clinical training. Well-respected by the NYC IM programs. Interviews tons of people so would only go there if you are serious about ranking it high.

-----
UWashington
-- Wonderful program. Awesome city. But with no CCU and a PD who is a bit strange.

Wash U/Northwestern
-- Well-rounded programs
-- NW just recruited Brad Knight who's a huge star in EP. Also has Clyde Yancy for HF, and Bonow who's a kind of Valentin Fuster-type old style famous clinician. Hospital hotel is awesome. Really happy fellows.
-- Wash U - strong basic science research. Doug Mann just comes across as a really down-to-earth chief during the interview day.

----
UPenn
-- really strong in HF and EP, not as good in cath
-- Only got to meet 2 fellows during the IV day and they did no dinner beforehand
-- Wanted to like this program a lot, and it's probably as good as the name implies, but the place didn't make the same impression that it's peer institutions did

I'm gonna stop here. I think you can see that I liked a lot of different programs, and even my summaries kind of blend together. I think the main takeaway from my post is that there are a lot of great places to train, and people generally are happy.

Good luck all on next year's cycle. Hope this post gets a few people to apply to Tufts and Rochester if nothing else.

Last edited:
Thanks so much - very helpful reply!! Any other comments?

Was fortunate to see some great programs. Here are my two cents on my interview experiences which were mostly East Coast and midwest. separated into tiers by best combination of strong academic/clinical training in my opinion.

Brigham-- besides the name, there are seriously amazing research opportunities for fellows here but amount of support/guidance you receive may be lacking. clinical training also very strong, but don't come here thinking you'll get level 2 training in anything but what you subspecialize in. the PD has been waiting to step down for the past year (they are looking for a new one) so he can go back to his basic science lab. also not sure how happy the fellows are.

Duke-- very impressed by how well-trained the fellows are here. DCRI and translational research that leave research experience unparalleled, with significant dedicated time for research. depending on your viewpoint, one drawback is overnight call while on ccu rotations 4 months over first 2 years, but at least you're done with it afterwards. living in durham can either be a pro or con. new chief last year from within their HF section. people very easy to approach and would probably be great to work with.

Columbia-- great all-around but especially for HF and interventional. largest transplant volume in country. not sure how much autonomy the fellows get. surprised by how many of the fellows and attendings (virtually all) have had prior columbia or NY ties. did notice some of the snobbery especially by the PD. oh and i also got pimped on one of the interviews.

Hopkins-- amazing place with awesome outcomes research and intelligent people. faculty seem to care and work to get you to where you want to go in terms of academic career post fellowship.
--------------

Penn-- fellows seem to be down to earth and seem happy although worked pretty hard. EP, HF powerhouse. Jessup is the new AHA president-elect. one problem is the city it's in.

Michigan-- succinctly, very solid. great organization and people running the program. interesting research going on in EP and interventional. love Ann Arbor. interview day is very well-done

CCF-- if looking at clinical training alone, probably the best. trains great clinicians and proceduralists. facilities are jaw-droppingly beautiful. residency program not so strong and so the fellows sometimes have to do the residents' work. research experience seems to be traditionally significantly lacking which they are trying to improve upon.

Here are some other programs that have not been mentioned:

BIDMC
-Pros: Laid-back PD, though now there is a new one starting this year. Has the harvard name as well as similar resources as Brigham and MGH for research since its in PARTNERS. Probably the best clinical training program out of all 3 harvards, in terms of getting level 2 and going into clinical practice. Great EP. Fellows seemed happy.
-Cons: Minimal advanced heart failure, though not that much different from other boston programs aside from TUFTS.

BU
-Pros: Great PD who seems invested in the fellows. Excellent clinical training with level 2 COCATs. One fellow was able to get level 2 in 5 things. Fellows seemed happy. Good EP. Home of Framingham Heart Study. Best clinical outcomes research possibly in the entire US.
-Cons: Not that big in basic research. Minimal advanced heart failure, though they do have a cardiomyopathy service, same as all boston programs not named TUFTS.

University of Chicago
-Pros: Great PD and interview day was very impressive with alot of laid back faculty members. Fellows seemed happy and great research opportunities with some good genetics stuff, though unclear how big their Basic research is. Can get level 2 without any barriers.
-Cons: not much

I will add UAB.
Very impressive clinical volume and history; you can get level 2 in everything except CT. Did get the impression that they are losing a lot of their big names (retiring), and division faculty and their research is shrinking. PD and chief fellow seemed to be very invested in applicants.

BIDMC
-Pros: Laid-back PD, though now there is a new one starting this year. Has the harvard name as well as similar resources as Brigham and MGH for research since its in PARTNERS. Probably the best clinical training program out of all 3 harvards, in terms of getting level 2 and going into clinical practice. Great EP. Fellows seemed happy.
-Cons: Minimal advanced heart failure, though not that much different from other boston programs aside from TUFTS.

Maybe there's been some huge realignment that I missed while working at BIDMC, but last I checked, we are CareGroup and NOT Partners, despite being "Harvard" affiliated. That being said, the Cards program and department are phenomenal on all levels at BIDMC.