To stay or leave

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinkyblack

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started a general cardiology fellowship this year. It is in a rural area in a very small community program in Ohio. I moved from the other side of the country for this.

Soon after starting the program we were notified the program is on a financial freeze. In 2 out of 3 hospitals there is no official teaching because the attendings do not get paid for. It is almost like the fellows are unnecessary ....

I feel like i am wasting my time here. I heard that at one point in the past ACGME had the fellowship on hold due to similar issues.

I used to work as an internist in the ER. Now that i think of it that work was way more satisfying than what i do right now. I would go home tired after a 12 hr shift but was very satisfied. Now i go home not so much tired but deffinitely not satisfied as there is so much down time doing nothing...

My options are to quite and go back to ER in my home town or stick with this despite being unhappy and hope that when i go to practice things will be more satisfying. It is 2.5 more yrs to go at this “not so great” program...

Thanks for your input...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started a general cardiology fellowship this year. It is in a rural area in a very small community program in Ohio. I moved from the other side of the country for this.

Soon after starting the program we were notified the program is on a financial freeze. In 2 out of 3 hospitals there is no official teaching because the attendings do not get paid for. It is almost like the fellows are unnecessary ....

I feel like i am wasting my time here. I heard that at one point in the past ACGME had the fellowship on hold due to similar issues.

I used to work as an internist in the ER. Now that i think of it that work was way more satisfying than what i do right now. I would go home tired after a 12 hr shift but was very satisfied. Now i go home not so much tired but deffinitely not satisfied as there is so much down time doing nothing...

My options are to quite and go back to ER in my home town or stick with this despite being unhappy and hope that when i go to practice things will be more satisfying. It is 2.5 more yrs to go at this “not so great” program...

Thanks for your input...

I'd tough it out. I for one love to have downtime in my program. That way, I can focus on studying, staying productive. I don't need anybody to really teach me, I am just happy to ave the pathology available to me, and study on my own.
Keep in mind, your fellowship is only temporary, if you are doing well in that program, just use the downtime to study on your own. In the long run, practicing Cardiology IMO is much more satisfying than an internist.

Thanks for your response.

In my opinion cardiology is more starisfyng than doing hospitalist work. However what i am doing right now is way less satisfying that ER work i used to do. This is training so i am hoping it will change in practice but i am not sure. I just like faster pace, less down time and protected time as a woman to take care of family matters....