*~*~*~*Tips for Entering your "Work and Activities" in AMCAS*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely don't force yourseld to use all the characters for every description if it means you'll get repetitive and less to the point.

The meaningful experience thing is new so you'll have some leeway with it.

That's actually comforting to hear. This is the last thing I have to do and I can't wait to hit submit!

Members don't see this ad.

hey! sorry if anyone has answered this. I did research and got my name on 2 published papers from 2 different journals.
1) under research, I have already described what I did and listsed it as my most siginificant activity. Should I describe the paper and list it as my siginificant again under publication? or I just use the activity experience section to cite the papers without adding in more comments?
2) If I want to lump the two research papers together, should I seperate them by a semicolon or sumthing? ex: under publication name I would say X journal; Y journal?

Any help will be appreciated!

hey! sorry if anyone has answered this. I did research and got my name on 2 published papers from 2 different journals.
1) under research, I have already described what I did and listsed it as my most siginificant activity. Should I describe the paper and list it as my siginificant again under publication? or I just use the activity experience section to cite the papers without adding in more comments?
2) If I want to lump the two research papers together, should I seperate them by a semicolon or sumthing? ex: under publication name I would say X journal; Y journal?
1) Cite the paper under Publications. No further discussion is necessary. It is not necessary to make this a "Most Meaningful" activity, especially when you've done so for the associated research. And don't fill in the hours/week, as that is included in the Research listing already.

2) It would be better not to group your two publications, so each will get proper attention, but if you must due to space limitations (and provided both are in Regional or National Journals, and not a school pub), I'd name the activity after the most prestigious publication and add all appropriate header information for it. For the second pub, you'll have to get all that same info into the narrative after you insert the second citation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a non-trad with about 8 years work experience at the same firm. I held 3 different titles and in reality had 4 different (but related) functions over that time. I had some questions related to showing this:

1. Is it ok to use 4 slots for this? Each is multi-year at 70-80hrs a week, and the descriptions will be distinct (I am not just gaming the system for more space) and the time periods do not overlap. I think it illustrates a career arc that backs up my PS well (without being redundant).

2. I would like to present the 4th as a leadership position b/c I assembled a team across a few departments to manage a specific process. We held regular meetings, laid out a plan, etc. which I spearheaded. However these people were not officially reporting to me. Is that too much of a stretch? Perhaps I am better off leaving it as 'employment' and simply describing the leadership aspects?

Thanks so much. This has been a very informative thread.

I am a non-trad with about 8 years work experience at the same firm. I held 3 different titles and in reality had 4 different (but related) functions over that time. I had some questions related to showing this:

1. Is it ok to use 4 slots for this? Each is multi-year at 70-80hrs a week, and the descriptions will be distinct (I am not just gaming the system for more space) and the time periods do not overlap. I think it illustrates a career arc that backs up my PS well (without being redundant).

2. I would like to present the 4th as a leadership position b/c I assembled a team across a few departments to manage a specific process. We held regular meetings, laid out a plan, etc. which I spearheaded. However these people were not officially reporting to me. Is that too much of a stretch? Perhaps I am better off leaving it as 'employment' and simply describing the leadership aspects?

1) If you think you have enough material to make four Employment spaces interesting and different, then go for it. You could just as well do it with one space and condense a lot. It's your choice. There's no one "right" way to put the information across.

2) Leadership means managing other people, delegating, taking responsibility for making sure a project comes together. You'd need to support the idea that this was leadership by describing what you did. If you feel it doesn't sound solid, then it's better to understate the activity and let adcomms come to their own conclusion from reading your narrative, as you suggested in your last sentence.

I'd say that each should be separate and each should be labeled employment as that is the most accurate description. It is certainly reasonable to describe the leadership aspects in the text.

Thanks very much for both quick responses. That makes sense and gives me some peace of mind.

Thanks!

This was probably addressed in the thread, but I'm having a hard time finding any posts related to this.

I had a really meaninful work experience, where I tutored younger students. The only issue is that I didn't quite get along with the manager of the tutoring center. So, I'm really hesitant to include his contact information on my application. What should I do?

Thanks in advance for the advice. I really appreciate it.

This was probably addressed in the thread, but I'm having a hard time finding any posts related to this.

I had a really meaninful work experience, where I tutored younger students. The only issue is that I didn't quite get along with the manager of the tutoring center. So, I'm really hesitant to include his contact information on my application. What should I do?
Recall that this contact is meant to confirm your dates of involvement and hours worked, and is not to provide a reference. You might use a secretary at the center, or a fellow tutor who worked there if you prefer.

The only medical exposure I have is shadowing, which is quite insufficient. However, I'll begin my first volunteer experience at a hospital this week. I haven't submitted my app yet, so do you think it would be wise for me to include volunteering in my work and activities section? If so, what should I write for the description? Thanks ahead of time

The only medical exposure I have is shadowing, which is quite insufficient. However, I'll begin my first volunteer experience at a hospital this week. I haven't submitted my app yet, so do you think it would be wise for me to include volunteering in my work and activities section? If so, what should I write for the description? Thanks ahead of time

You need to wait until after the first day of volunteering. Once you start the activity, you can legitimately list it on your app. So get everything else perfect on your app, then go volunteer this week and write your description afterward and you can submit.

hey guys, i will be doing the a post-bacc program next year and also reapplying to schools. The post-bacc is not a masters nor does it provide graduate credit hours, but we basically take many of the first year med classes with the 1st years of this med school. Upon request the program director will send a transcript to med schools that compares my perfomance to the class mean, the numerical grade etc.

Is there a way I can request on AMCAS that adcoms wait until my fall grades for anatomy/embryology are received before they consider my application? I know you can do this for MCATs, but not sure about post-baccs. I am a reapplicant, and haven't really improved all that much in the last year (other than some volunteer work here or there), so my only hope of getting interviews is probably going to be doing well in the program...fall grades will be available early december...

thanks.
AMCAS will not wait for your transcripts or for an update. Obviously, you can't wait until December to apply. If you'd like more help with your application, you can start a thread in the What are my chances subforum.

You can update schools individually based on the schools update policy. Some schools allow updates to your file, others don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a question about putting clubs as one of the extracurriculars. I'm not sure who to put for the contact info. I figured the advisor to the organization would be a good pick, but the advisors at my school aren't really aware of who's a member and what the club is doing. If that's the case can I put a member of the e-board as a contact, even though they're students?

Thanks in advance.

I had a question about putting clubs as one of the extracurriculars. I'm not sure who to put for the contact info. I figured the advisor to the organization would be a good pick, but the advisors at my school aren't really aware of who's a member and what the club is doing. If that's the case can I put a member of the e-board as a contact, even though they're students?
Yes. One of the officers or the membership coordinator would be good contacts to list.

Hi, I have a question concerning how I should list my shadowing.

I have three shadowing activities, each listed separately with a detailed description of what I did and what I learned.
However, I am maxed out at 15 activities and can still list my SAT tutoring and my Dean's Listings.

I was wondering, should I just keep the shadowing activities separate, with their retained descriptions? or should I pile them into one (the descriptions will be mere shells with nothing but where I shadowed them and how long), and then enter my SAT tutoring and Dean's List awards (which I know to be somewhat useless).

Or should I just sort the shadowing into one, and not even enter the other two activities?

Hi, I have a question concerning how I should list my shadowing.

I have three shadowing activities, each listed separately with a detailed description of what I did and what I learned.
However, I am maxed out at 15 activities and can still list my SAT tutoring and my Dean's Listings.

I was wondering, should I just keep the shadowing activities separate, with their retained descriptions? or should I pile them into one (the descriptions will be mere shells with nothing but where I shadowed them and how long), and then enter my SAT tutoring and Dean's List awards (which I know to be somewhat useless).

Or should I just sort the shadowing into one, and not even enter the other two activities?

Shadowing is generally grouped together in one entry. Adcomm's know what shadowing is, so you really don't need to provide descriptions. I had 4 doctors shadowed all grouped together in one entry.

If you shadowed a surgeon, then you might clarify if it was for office visits or surgeries or both. If a radiologist, then clarify image reading vs. interventional stuff, etc. That's about all the description you need.

Do you have other awards to group your dean's list with? It's fine to include it. See FAQ at beginning of this thread.

SAT tutoring is fine, provided that the time commitment is sufficient

Nope, I have nothing else to group the Dean's List with
Should I just exclude it completely?

Also, I know this was probably answered but how do I handle the weeks/hrs for the shadowing compilation?

Also, I know this was probably answered but how do I handle the weeks/hrs for the shadowing compilation?

There are different ideas about the dean's list. Maybe Catalystik can weigh in.

Leave hours/week blank for shadowing. Put the total for each doctor in the description (along with MD or DO, and specialty)

I shadowed Dr. Xl (DO, Emergency Medicine) at Buffalo General Hospital in Buffalo, New York on 07/2009 for a total of 10 hours. I also interacted with him continuously while I volunteered at the MICU.
417-335-0000

I shadowed Dr. Y (MD, Interventional Radiology) at Windsong Radiology in Williamsville, New York on 07/2009 for a total of 12 hours.
716-631-0000

I shadowed Dr. Z (MD PhD, Dermatology) at Midtown Medical Associates, LLC on 07/2010 for a total of 20 hours.
404-215-0000

Does this look decent?
Also, the form is promoting me to write a contact name/number. I assume I just enter any of the doctors?

There are different ideas about the dean's list. Maybe Catalystik can weigh in.
I'd leave it out, as your grades are already evident from your transcript. Including it doesn't enhance your application.

non-trad here. PA>MD

I am assuming that precepting PA students would be consider as a leadership position, correct?

Also, my duties as a PA in all the specialty that I have worked were condensed between 1-3 lines. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
i have volunteer experience in 3 different hospitals and in different time period. Should I list them separately or group them together?

Thank you

non-trad here. PA>MD

1) I am assuming that precepting PA students would be consider as a leadership position, correct?

2) Also, my duties as a PA in all the specialty that I have worked were condensed between 1-3 lines. Any thoughts?
1) It might be a toss up between Teaching and Leadership, depending on how you describe what you did.

2) I salute your succinctness. And I think it's fine, as adcomms have a pretty clear idea of the potential range of a PA's capabilities. I expect that your reflections on this potential are in your PS somewhere.

just a quick question. if i have an award from the school, the organization: my school name contact's title: registrar office. but how about contact first/last name? i was gonnna leave them out, but since they are marked by red asterick, anything to fill that in?

just a quick question. if i have an award from the school, the organization: my school name contact's title: registrar office. but how about contact first/last name? i was gonnna leave them out, but since they are marked by red asterick, anything to fill that in?
Does your school have a registrar (a single person)? I used the name of my registrar. You could also call your school's registrar office and ask for the name of someone to put on the application

What is the general consensus on adding an estimation of the total hours for an experience on top of filling the hours/week box? Provide it on all or some specific ones?

I did not enter total hours on any of my activities last cycle, but I am wondering whether to do it on this one.

What is the general consensus on adding an estimation of the total hours for an experience on top of filling the hours/week box? Provide it on all or some specific ones?

I did not enter total hours on any of my activities last cycle, but I am wondering whether to do it on this one.
It can be helpful for activities like volunteering and research, especially since adcomm's could be mathematically challenged or just too busy to calculate your total hours. It's not necessary for things like awards, publications, hobbies, presentations, etc.

It can be helpful for activities like volunteering and research, especially since adcomm's could be mathematically challenged or just too busy to calculate your total hours. It's not necessary for things like awards, publications, hobbies, presentations, etc.
Yea, I meant for volunteering specifically. Also I did about a year of research, but even that I thought would be self-explanatory via the hrs/week. My decision not to add any hours last time for volunteering was to avoid sounding pretentious. Also, I have heard it being stressed by some of my state school adcoms that they look for quality over quantity.

P.S. Nice post 666. :D

Yea, I meant for volunteering specifically. Also I did about a year of research, but even that I thought would be self-explanatory via the hrs/week. My decision not to add any hours last time for volunteering was to avoid sounding pretentious. Also, I have heard it being stressed by some of my state school adcoms that they look for quality over quantity.

P.S. Nice post 666. :D
Haha nice.

I think it's a good idea to state it if you have the room. I just used one line and said "Total time: 300 hours" or similar. I doubt it matters a whole lot though, since they do have access to the info anyway

if i have an award from the school, the organization: my school name contact's title: registrar office. but how about contact first/last name? i was gonnna leave them out, but since they are marked by red asterick, anything to fill that in?

Does your school have a registrar (a single person)? I used the name of my registrar. You could also call your school's registrar office and ask for the name of someone to put on the application
Or put in Registrars Office for the first and last name.

i am a part of the program at the hospital, where i rotate through different departments, stay about 50hrs in each department, and move on to the next one. The experience involves patient contact, helping nurses, scrubbing into surgeries, shadowing physicians when they are on the floor. How would I list this experience, I got a decent amount of shadowing through this program, but it wasnt a separate part of it. I dont even have contact info of all the docs that i have shadowed. Should i just put it under medical volunteering and explain in the box?

thanks

Few things

1) I have been involved in several labs since high school. I did the Siemens-Westinghouse competition back then, and placed at the regional level. Should I include this in the work and experiences? I think I read somewhere to not include anything from high school, unless it was "something like the Siemens Competition."

2) I was part of another lab during my first two years in college, and then I switched to my most recent one. This last one is the most significant research experience out of them all (poster, conferences, will be published), so I'm thinking I should put this last one as its own slot, and make it a significant event. I already wrote up what I wanted to write for that, and I'm one character under both the 700 and 1325 limits. Should I try to combine both college research experiences into one thing? For what it's worth, I have PIs from both labs writing LORS.

3) I got fellowships in both of my labs; should I talk about that in its own 'awards and honors' slot, or mention it when I'm talking about my research in the "Research" slot and leave it at that?

4) I was under the impression that if we were talking about research as one of our activities (as I am), we should talk about what we took away from it. Should I be talking about the details of my project (background, etc)? I have none of that, and frankly think that isn't as important as my development due to the research (which I did talk about), but I could be wrong.

5) I also won a travel award from a poster competition at the conference I went to, should that be in the 'honors and awards' section, or with the poster presentation? Come to think of it, should the poster presentation be in with my 'research' (which resulted in the poster), or should that be its separate thing?

6) I just started the process of getting my work published (its in peer review right now). Is this far enough along to include? Should I say something like "will be published"? Or should I not mention that at all and update them later when it does get published?

Pretty confusing yall.

- Bali

Last edited:
i am a part of the program at the hospital, where i rotate through different departments, stay about 50hrs in each department, and move on to the next one. The experience involves patient contact, helping nurses, scrubbing into surgeries, shadowing physicians when they are on the floor. How would I list this experience, I got a decent amount of shadowing through this program, but it wasnt a separate part of it. I dont even have contact info of all the docs that i have shadowed. Should i just put it under medical volunteering and explain in the box?

thanks
In the narrative, you might want to estimate the % time that consisted of shadowing. Be sure you can at least list the specialties of the physicians, if not their names. And in the name you give the activity, be sure to include the word Shadowing so it won't be overlooked.

It sounds like a great activity, but since it's all hospital-based, you might want to make a point of adding an office-based experience as well, with a primary care doc if possible. This should be easy enough to arrange with one of the docs you meet in the hospital.

1) I have been involved in several labs since high school. I did the Siemens-Westinghouse competition back then, and placed at the regional level. Should I include this in the work and experiences? I think I read somewhere to not include anything from high school, unless it was "something like the Siemens Competition."

2) I was part of another lab during my first two years in college, and then I switched to my most recent one. This last one is the most significant research experience out of them all (poster, conferences, will be published), so I'm thinking I should put this last one as its own slot, and make it a significant event. I already wrote up what I wanted to write for that, and I'm one character under both the 700 and 1325 limits. Should I try to combine both college research experiences into one thing? For what it's worth, I have PIs from both labs writing LORS.

3) I got fellowships in both of my labs; should I talk about that in its own 'awards and honors' slot, or mention it when I'm talking about my research in the "Research" slot and leave it at that?

4) I was under the impression that if we were talking about research as one of our activities (as I am), we should talk about what we took away from it. Should I be talking about the details of my project (background, etc)? I have none of that, and frankly think that isn't as important as my development due to the research (which I did talk about), but I could be wrong.

5) I also won a travel award from a poster competition at the conference I went to, should that be in the 'honors and awards' section, or with the poster presentation? Come to think of it, should the poster presentation be in with my 'research' (which resulted in the poster), or should that be its separate thing?

6) I just started the process of getting my work published (its in peer review right now). Is this far enough along to include? Should I say something like "will be published"? Or should I not mention that at all and update them later when it does get published?
1) One may also include a HS experience if it continued into the college years, which it has.

2) I would list them separately. I've heard some folks are getting a bit of their prose cut off when they are close to the character limits, so be sure to preview and print it it to be sure it's all there in the final version.

3) I think it's easier for the reviewer to make the proper connection if you put it in the same space with the associated research.

4) The details of the research and what you did should be in the Research listing, though I suppose you could also fit the purpose of the research in the space with the Publication or Poster/Presentations if you are short on space. Theoretically, the impact and resulting personal development should be in the "Most Meaningful" space (if you follow the AMCAS guidelines).

5) As long as the Poster wasn't presented at a campus symposium or Research Day, and the data wasn't published, it should go in its own space, where I think it's fine to mention the award.

6) You can mention the submission and ongoing peer-review process in the Research section. It doesn't belong in a Publication space until it's accepted.

Thanks Catalystik!

One quick things, I mistakenly said 'peer-review'...I meant co-author review; we will submit it to the journal within the next few weeks (though probably after I submit my application). Still far enough along to talk about?

Thanks Catalystik!

One quick things, I mistakenly said 'peer-review'...I meant co-author review; we will submit it to the journal within the next few weeks (though probably after I submit my application). Still far enough along to talk about?
I'd say a manuscript is in preparation and will soon be submitted, or somesuch.

I'm sure this question has been asked in other forms, but after searching, I haven't found anything that really answers it. I'm really torn between 4 "most meaningful" experiences:

1) Member of most active pre-medical organization at my university, held leadership positions/sat on board meetings/contributed substantially to the running of the club for 3 years. We organize volunteering, mentoring, shadowing, trips to the medical school, a yearly conference, etc. This is definitely staying as most meaningful, as it defines the majority of my time not studying or in the lab.

2) I've played the cello since I was eight and have performed in orchestras and ensembles ever since, continuing into my university's orchestra. This is such a huge part of my life and I want to continue into medical school and the future, and I would really like to list this as most meaningful as well.

3) Last summer I participated in a study abroad program spanning 7 different countries with 7 completely different cultures. This experience completely changed my life (I'm having an extremely hard time fitting it into 1300 characters) and although I didn't do anything medically related (I did do a service trip to an orphanage in Egypt), I believe the things I learned and experienced will help me be a better doctor.

Dilemma: I also have substantial neuroscience research (400+ hours at NIH, then full time this summer at school and continuing through next year...two separate entries in AMCAS) and I am applying to research-heavy schools. Would not listing research as my most meaningful experience be detrimental to my application to research schools (i.e. Pitt)? Research is meaningful to me, I'm not just considering this because I think it will "look good," and I want to continue in med school (not MD/PhD), but the other three mean so much to me as well. I'm wondering if talking passionately about research during interviews will be enough to emphasize its importance to me.

I considered putting my study abroad experience in my personal statement, but I used that to talk about the shadowing experience I had near the end of high school that truly solidified my choice of becoming a doctor, relating it to an experience with a relative and then linking briefly to my research at NIH - all 3 things relate to drug abuse/addiction, a topic that still interests me.

Also, would not having anything truly medically related as my most meaningful experiences be bad? The leadership experience (#1) is related in the sense that I participate in volunteer events and such through the club, and I've been able to participate in cadaver and pathology labs at the med school through them, but I'm just worried that not listing clinical experience as most meaningful might be frowned upon a bit...:scared:

Thanks for reading, I know it's long. My AMCAS just needs some final touches but all these choices are driving me crazy right now. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

1) It might be a toss up between Teaching and Leadership, depending on how you describe what you did.

2) I salute your succinctness. And I think it's fine, as adcomms have a pretty clear idea of the potential range of a PA's capabilities. I expect that your reflections on this potential are in your PS somewhere.

I appreciate your response. I submitted my application today. :xf:Thanks again.

I'm sure this question has been asked in other forms, but after searching, I haven't found anything that really answers it. I'm really torn between 4 "most meaningful" experiences:

1) Member of most active pre-medical organization at my university, held leadership positions/sat on board meetings/contributed substantially to the running of the club for 3 years. We organize volunteering, mentoring, shadowing, trips to the medical school, a yearly conference, etc. This is definitely staying as most meaningful, as it defines the majority of my time not studying or in the lab.

2) I've played the cello since I was eight and have performed in orchestras and ensembles ever since, continuing into my university's orchestra. This is such a huge part of my life and I want to continue into medical school and the future, and I would really like to list this as most meaningful as well.

3) Last summer I participated in a study abroad program spanning 7 different countries with 7 completely different cultures. This experience completely changed my life (I'm having an extremely hard time fitting it into 1300 characters) and although I didn't do anything medically related (I did do a service trip to an orphanage in Egypt), I believe the things I learned and experienced will help me be a better doctor.

Dilemma: I also have substantial neuroscience research (400+ hours at NIH, then full time this summer at school and continuing through next year...two separate entries in AMCAS) and I am applying to research-heavy schools. Would not listing research as my most meaningful experience be detrimental to my application to research schools (i.e. Pitt)? Research is meaningful to me, I'm not just considering this because I think it will "look good," and I want to continue in med school (not MD/PhD), but the other three mean so much to me as well. I'm wondering if talking passionately about research during interviews will be enough to emphasize its importance to me.

I considered putting my study abroad experience in my personal statement, but I used that to talk about the shadowing experience I had near the end of high school that truly solidified my choice of becoming a doctor, relating it to an experience with a relative and then linking briefly to my research at NIH - all 3 things relate to drug abuse/addiction, a topic that still interests me.

Also, would not having anything truly medically related as my most meaningful experiences be bad? The leadership experience (#1) is related in the sense that I participate in volunteer events and such through the club, and I've been able to participate in cadaver and pathology labs at the med school through them, but I'm just worried that not listing clinical experience as most meaningful might be frowned upon a bit...:scared:

Thanks for reading, I know it's long. My AMCAS just needs some final touches but all these choices are driving me crazy right now. Thanks in advance for any advice!!
Many Secondary essays cover topics where you might reasonably expand on the travel abroad experience. Many cover areas where you might discuss your dedication and passion for music. You might check the Secondary essays from last year in the old School Specific forum for schools you plan to target and see if the frequency of one vs the other helps sway you on which way to go.

I'd lean toward keeping the leadership and the research considering the type of schools you are targeting, but no one can read every adcomm mind and know what they prefer to see. Whether choosing from the heart, or choosing strategically, you're bound to please some people, some of the time.

As to, "Also, would not having anything truly medically related as my most meaningful experiences be bad?" I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: Last March a member, Tatertots, created a file that summarizes most Secondary essays for the 2010 cycle (95% of which won't change). Here is a link to it: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10763720&highlight=organized#post10763720 It gave me some trouble getting it to download, but eventually I got it to work with the help of other posters on the thread.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I had a question concerning "leadership activities"

I know that the listed term is "leadership- not listed elsewhere"
I was wondering why this term had the specific qualifier on the end. Is it because people would list "part of a student group" and then list "president of said student group" as separate entries?

I just am curious~

Hi everyone, I had a question concerning "leadership activities"

I know that the listed term is "leadership- not listed elsewhere"
I was wondering why this term had the specific qualifier on the end. Is it because people would list "part of a student group" and then list "president of said student group" as separate entries?
Many would list an activity they became involved with that later led to leadership in one space. Sometimes there is a lot to say or long enough involvement at each level that more space is needed to fully describe both activities. and then a separate listing is made. And sometimes one springboards directly into leadership and has no choice.

Is it fair to say that working on clinical trials could be labeled as either medical/clinical volunteering or research, depending on the roles involved? Is one description a lot more common for this case?

Thanks!

Is it fair to say that working on clinical trials could be labeled as either medical/clinical volunteering or research, depending on the roles involved? Is one description a lot more common for this case?

Thanks!
It's most common to designate it Research and to make the patient exposure clear from the description.

I was a leader at my local church, but I also was involved in a lot of other activities such as the Band, welcoming team, multimedia team.

Should I list this as extracurricular? Or can I list this as leadership?

I led the initiative to recruit subjects for a clinical research study at a particular clinical enrollment site. I did this for 3 months, 30 hrs a week as a volunteer - really 6 months because it turned into a clinical research internship where I got to do more hands on things like phlebotomy, biospecimen processing.

I have heard people say that this is a weak leadership activity. What more do they want? I LED the initiative.

Also before my post-bacc pre-med studies, I had a wealth management internship where I was given tasks with a lot of flexibility about how I could complete them. Would you consider it leadership if I led the group of interns in a project to create a new 529 college savings plan model? I am debating whether to list this as leadership or employment.

It just seems people want me to President of a Tree Club or something. I mean leadership comes in many different forms.

I've searched for this but no luck..

It seems to me that physician shadowing is one of the best ways to gain direct exposure to the life of a physician and an excellent way of staying informed on the career. I would like to think shadowing played a big role in most premeds decisions to pursue medical school admission. Would it seem too typical or cliche to signify shadowing as one of my most meaningful experiences? I've shadowed 4 doctors from radiology, family med, ortho and transplant surgery in order to gain as wide an understanding as possible. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.