Thinking of going into clinical Psych now :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I dunno, they let the BS/MD/DO one go on forever before it closed.

My mom makes about $50,000 a year and I'd say I live very comfortably... it's really not about how much money someone makes, it's what they buy with it and how content they are in their lifestyle. If all you can see is the person next to you with the bigger mansion and the nicer car then you'll always be discontent.

On a more on-topic note I'm kinda interested in Clinical Psych too, what's the difference in schooling between a Psychologist and a Psychiatrist? Do Psychiatrists go to med school? (I apologize as this is a very google-able question but I was already writing this post so...)

Yes, Psychiatrists have to obtain an M.D. degree.

If you want to go into Clinical, I believe you go to grad school after UG.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is totally off topic but a nice house here easily costs 1M. Easily. I'm not talking mansions either.
This is the same in san francisco,ca however these houses are more like an apartment or condo and they're much older.

This is totally off topic but a nice house here easily costs 1M. Easily.

I'm not talking mansions either.
What exactly is your definition of "nice," though?

Because your idea of how much it takes to "live comfortably" is seriously messed up. Most people live comfortably on 40-60k.

Statistics disagree with you.

Like I said, 60k in alabama is probably the equivalent of a much higher salary here in NJ.

MY idea on how much it take to live comfortably is not skewed at all.

Also, I think "comfortable" is a relative term.

Because your idea of how much it takes to "live comfortably" is seriously messed up. Most people live comfortably on 40-60k.
Not really. I understand him now, based on where he lives and how much it cost to buy a average house it makes sense for him to want a six figure salary. I don't know if it's a male thing but, i know my father wants me to be better than him in terms of salary and lifestyle etc. This may be similar to jef situation.

What exactly is your definition of "nice," though?

lfa4a1942-m0x.jpg

This is a birds eye view of a $1.4M house in my town.

It is between 6-7,000 square feet.

That is my definition of a big house.

Last edited:
Not really. I understand him now, based on where he lives and how much it cost to buy a average house it makes sense for him to want a six figure salary. I don't know if it's a male thing but, i know my father wants me to be better than him in terms of salary and lifestyle etc. This may be similar to jef situation.

They could care less.

Honestly, my father just said "Hey, look, if you want a million dollar house, fine, save up and buy one."

What most of you guys would consider a nice house would run maybe a MAX of 1M. The one in the above picture is unusually big.

EDIT: For 1.4M, that house is a bargain. It was going for like 1.8 last year. 2 acre lot, pool, and like a basketball court.
I guess it's a good thing I don't want all of that extra stuff then. :smuggrin:

This is a nice house in a 250 home development across town.

Going for 850k

l0abff341-m0x.jpg

l0abff341-m9x.jpg

Relative to you, this is nice. Relative to most of the world, this is opulent, to the point of superfluous.

Members don't see this ad :)
CScull , yes you go to medical school to become a psychiatrist . To become a clinical psychologist you need to do undergrad studies in psychology and then move up to grad school . If you want to know anymore please PM me . :)

I am seriously failing to see what Jeff is going for ? If someone would help me out...

I'm not going for anything. I'm trying to point out that cost of living matters and that 70k as a clinical psychologist may not be enough.

I am also arguing with Tibula here.

CScull , yes you go to medical school to become a psychiatrist . To become a clinical psychologist you need to do undergrad studies in psychology and then move up to grad school . If you want to know anymore please PM me . :)

I am seriously failing to see what Jeff is going for ? If someone would help me out...

That is what I just said, lol.

That is what I just said, lol.

When did I say you didn't ? I am merely answering her as I am right now going for that very degree .

But why are you striving for a career over a type of house ? It's like you're choosing careers based on what house you want ?

BTW some not many Clinical Psychologists have been known to make much more than $70,000 but at the same time that's not why I've chosen this field . Heck even pharmacy fascinates me for some of the same reasons clinical psych does but it's not over the money .

I'm not going for anything. I'm trying to point out that cost of living matters and that 70k as a clinical psychologist may not be enough.

I am also arguing with Tibula here.

Arguing? We're not arguing.

Obviously you won't be answering my questions .

When did I say you didn't ? I am merely answering her as I am right now going for that very degree .

But why are you striving for a career over a type of house ? It's like you're choosing careers based on what house you want ?

BTW some not many Clinical Psychologists have been known to make much more than $70,000 but at the same time that's not why I've chosen this field . Heck even pharmacy fascinates me for some of the same reasons clinical psych does but it's not over the money .

Idk. I like nice houses.

...................:smack::smack::smack:

I'm most likely wasting my time , but a word of advice , it's not what you make , it's what you save . Lastly , do not go for a career you think will buy you the best house in terms of yearly income ...it's a bad idea .

Last edited:
My mom doesn't work.

My dad is the CFO of five stores that sell cars. It is an auto-group I guess. He has a Bachelors in Accounting.

Idk how much he makes. All I know is it is at least 100,000 dollars a year.
Well, there you go. Get a Bachelors in Accounting and be a CFO for five stores that sell cars.

Problem solved.

Well, there you go. Get a Bachelors in Accounting and be a CFO for five stores that sell cars.

Problem solved.

I took an accounting class. It sucked, there is no way I'm going to study that.

it depends on where you live, the house i live in (east coast city) is the same price yet its 5 times smaller. I live comfortably.

Do you think those people who buy 1.5M houses pay it all off the minute they buy it dude? People take 30 even more years to pay that type of stuff off. In my opinion 60k is a good salary, much higher than national average.

Your idea of living comfortably is probably not considering any necessities. I think you want everything luxury which is why you feel a 70k salary is not enough. Also you have to realize its starting, no one starts at 150K and immediately buys cars and houses, they save up for it.

Exactly in most if not any profession every year you're in it ,practicing etc your salary will most likely go up . But if you make having luxury things a priority over doing something you love ,and living comfortably then it won't end well for you and you will regret it . Why not just focus on your career then take things as they come ? Why jump so many hoops before you meet the first one ?

Statistics disagree with you.

Like I said, 60k in alabama is probably the equivalent of a much higher salary here in NJ.

MY idea on how much it take to live comfortably is not skewed at all.

Also, I think "comfortable" is a relative term.

A few comments.
1. I live in Toronto, Canada, which from what I know is WAY more expensive in comparison to NJ. I live in Mississauga within GTA, which is quite expensive on its own. To be honest, my dad makes somewhere from 45-50 k and my mom makes around 35-40 k. We are still able to live comfortably in a house that we bought for an amount that I feel that I do not need to disclose. I think any state you live in within the States, there will be those areas which are like Newport Beach from The OC. Point here: You can live with comfort with a salary of 60 -70 k.

2. You understand that going to medical school is going to cost you a fortune on its own?! Easily 200 k+ in debt. Without any calculations, I am going to say its gnna take you just about 3 years to become debt free, of course in ideal situations. Assuming you do 4 years of UG, 4 years of MS, 3-4 years of residency, you will already be 30. You will be just around 32-33 when you are debt free. At this point in time, you will have other priorities rather than buying a 1.4 M dollar house. These priorities may include starting a family, perhaps going into a subspeciality that you have been so keen about, or if you already have a family, then putting your kids in elementary school, starting to save up for your kids' education, etc etc.
Point here: You will have different priorities in your late 20s - early 30s to even think about buying a lambo or a 1.4 M house.

3. Have you heard that doctors don't have the most comfortable of lives? Doctors of most specialities tend to work for 60 hours easily. So even if you buy that 1.4 M dollar house you really want, you won't be spending time in it. You will be working from 7 am -7 pm easily in ideal conditions. If you are new, then shift work from what I have heard.

4. Why would you want to buy such a mansion in the first place? To impress your neighbours, collegues, family etc? I would put this money to better use. To be honest, I am thinking of philanthropy if I do go into medicine. A decent house but nothing so superficial. But I do dream of Maserati (my only superficial want).

And think about it jefgreen. If you became a pharmacist, in ideal conditions you would be a pharmacist by the age of 25. You would be earning 70-80 k easily. Of course, this would plateau to 120 k from what I know but this would be an immense amount regardless. But at the same time, you need to have the will, interest and motivation to do pharmacy so no point in telling you. Clinical psychology is similar as it also requires those three qualities/characteristics.

Did I tell you this? GTFO SDN.
-vpv

A few comments.
1. I live in Toronto, Canada, which from what I know is WAY more expensive in comparison to NJ. I live in Mississauga within GTA, which is quite expensive on its own. To be honest, my dad makes somewhere from 45-50 k and my mom makes around 35-40 k. We are still able to live comfortably in a house that we bought for an amount that I feel that I do not need to disclose. I think any state you live in within the States, there will be those areas which are like Newport Beach from The OC. Point here: You can live with comfort with a salary of 60 -70 k.

2. You understand that going to medical school is going to cost you a fortune on its own?! Easily 200 k+ in debt. Without any calculations, I am going to say its gnna take you just about 3 years to become debt free, of course in ideal situations. Assuming you do 4 years of UG, 4 years of MS, 3-4 years of residency, you will already be 30. You will be just around 32-33 when you are debt free. At this point in time, you will have other priorities rather than buying a 1.4 M dollar house. These priorities may include starting a family, perhaps going into a subspeciality that you have been so keen about, or if you already have a family, then putting your kids in elementary school, starting to save up for your kids' education, etc etc.
Point here: You will have different priorities in your late 20s - early 30s to even think about buying a lambo or a 1.4 M house.

3. Have you heard that doctors don't have the most comfortable of lives? Doctors of most specialities tend to work for 60 hours easily. So even if you buy that 1.4 M dollar house you really want, you won't be spending time in it. You will be working from 7 am -7 pm easily in ideal conditions. If you are new, then shift work from what I have heard.

4. Why would you want to buy such a mansion in the first place? To impress your neighbours, collegues, family etc? I would put this money to better use. To be honest, I am thinking of philanthropy if I do go into medicine. A decent house but nothing so superficial. But I do dream of Maserati (my only superficial want).

And think about it jefgreen. If you became a pharmacist, in ideal conditions you would be a pharmacist by the age of 25. You would be earning 70-80 k easily. Of course, this would plateau to 120 k from what I know but this would be an immense amount regardless. But at the same time, you need to have the will, interest and motivation to do pharmacy so no point in telling you. Clinical psychology is similar as it also requires those three qualities/characteristics.

Did I tell you this? GTFO SDN.
-vpv

:thumbup:

a few comments.
1. I live in toronto, canada, which from what i know is way more expensive in comparison to nj. I live in mississauga within gta, which is quite expensive on its own. To be honest, my dad makes somewhere from 45-50 k and my mom makes around 35-40 k. We are still able to live comfortably in a house that we bought for an amount that i feel that i do not need to disclose. I think any state you live in within the states, there will be those areas which are like newport beach from the oc. Point here: You can live with comfort with a salary of 60 -70 k.

2. You understand that going to medical school is going to cost you a fortune on its own?! Easily 200 k+ in debt. Without any calculations, i am going to say its gnna take you just about 3 years to become debt free, of course in ideal situations. Assuming you do 4 years of ug, 4 years of ms, 3-4 years of residency, you will already be 30. You will be just around 32-33 when you are debt free. At this point in time, you will have other priorities rather than buying a 1.4 m dollar house. These priorities may include starting a family, perhaps going into a subspeciality that you have been so keen about, or if you already have a family, then putting your kids in elementary school, starting to save up for your kids' education, etc etc.
Point here: You will have different priorities in your late 20s - early 30s to even think about buying a lambo or a 1.4 m house.

3. Have you heard that doctors don't have the most comfortable of lives? Doctors of most specialities tend to work for 60 hours easily. So even if you buy that 1.4 m dollar house you really want, you won't be spending time in it. You will be working from 7 am -7 pm easily in ideal conditions. If you are new, then shift work from what i have heard.

4. Why would you want to buy such a mansion in the first place? To impress your neighbours, collegues, family etc? I would put this money to better use. To be honest, i am thinking of philanthropy if i do go into medicine. A decent house but nothing so superficial. But i do dream of maserati (my only superficial want).

And think about it jefgreen. If you became a pharmacist, in ideal conditions you would be a pharmacist by the age of 25. You would be earning 70-80 k easily. Of course, this would plateau to 120 k from what i know but this would be an immense amount regardless. But at the same time, you need to have the will, interest and motivation to do pharmacy so no point in telling you. Clinical psychology is similar as it also requires those three qualities/characteristics.

did i tell you this? Gtfo sdn.

-vpv

+1

Yes, Psychiatrists have to obtain an M.D. degree.

If you want to go into Clinical, I believe you go to grad school after UG.

And they are the ones with the prescription pad

and-

I would put this money to better use. To be honest, i am thinking of philanthropy

Yeah I'm pretty sure a blot of rich people say that, before they become rich! lol

Then what were your intentions?
I meant that either they are very rich and so Jeff would want to follow in their footsteps or they are very poor which would make Jeff want to become something better of himself and make a lot of money when he gets older. I was just explaining possibilities, not to be funny or anything.
Though you don't have to try to start an argument by criticizing what
others say--whatever it may be.

Relative to you, this is nice. Relative to most of the world, this is opulent, to the point of superfluous.

Mmm, that house would eat my house for breakfast, but then I love my little yellow house, it's got ferns and roses and tomatoes... which I really need to check on... I guess if I was more self-conscious I might want all that crap to make me feel secure, but I'm content so no troubles.

I meant that either they are very rich and so Jeff would want to follow in their footsteps or they are very poor which would make Jeff want to become something better of himself and make a lot of money when he gets older. I was just explaining possibilities, not to be funny or anything.
Though you don't have to try to start an argument by criticizing what
others say--whatever it may be.

Word of advice: vir sapit qui pauca loquitur :thumbup:

Edit: Latin.

Last edited:
Word of advice: vir sapit qui pauca loquitur :thumbup:
Word of advice: Don't contribute to discordant arguments :thumbup:
and also, learn how to spell certain foreign languages. I'm assuming thats
spanish you wrote above but if it is, it is spelled incorrectly.

Look up that phrase. That is not Spanish btw.

lfa4a1942-m0x.jpg

This is a birds eye view of a $1.4M house in my town.

It is between 6-7,000 square feet.

That is my definition of a big house.

lol

That's a nice house man.

But it's a bit smaller than the one we have now.

Muahahahahahahahahha

(Yeah I wish :p)

Last edited:

Haha, that's Latin silly... when you see aphorisms like that in a foreign language they're normally Latin... philosophy and enlightenment and all that jazz.

Por supuesto, mon ami!

French, Italian and Spanish are all romance languages (based on Latin), so they share a lot of root words and structural similarities.

I'm with Tennis--let's buy a huge hSDN lottery ticket and get rich and not have to worry about paying for med school!

Do you know you're more likely to get struck by lighting than win the lottery? That you're more likely to die by being eaten by a shark than to be struck by lightening, and you're more likely to be killed by way of falling coconut than be bitten by a shark?

Just saying... :)

No way! Wow! I feel a lot better about walking around with my umbrella during a lightning storm, now...

Did you know... Heath Ledger's dead!?!?!

Gah. I totally need to do laundry...

Who? Me?

No, no! Of course not, I just don't have any pants to wear tomorrow so I really need to wash some...

Oooooooo. So you aren't wearing pants?
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.