Clinical Hours: Continuous or Diverse?

brinkleyw

Reaction score
Im a premed senior in highschool. I’ve been working for a skilled nursing facility for over a year and have ~600 hours.

With clinical hours, specifically paid ones, do medical schools want to see diverse settings? By diverse I mean like maybe sticking with a job for a few years, or maybe staying for 6 months and then going to another position? I feel like consistently going to another position, like from skilled nursing CNA to ED, may show more diverse experience, but it also might make it seem like the person can’t hold a job?

Members don't see this ad.

It's about balance. Longitudinal experiences are viewed positively, but you do want to make sure you have at least a little experience across multiple care settings (SNF, hospital, ER, outpatient/clinic, etc.).

Reactions: 1 users
There are pluses and minuses to each option. Longevity can lead to promotions and leadership positions and the opportunity to train new employees which is a plus. Longevity can also lead to stagnation.

Hopping around can give you a diversity of experiences and having started young, you have the opportunity to try a few different roles before you'll go on to apply to medical school (or to help you consider other options if it turns out that pre-med is not a good fit for you).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)