Thinking about Podiatry.. but not sure?!?! HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmn623

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I love this forum ... its so fun to read all of the comments. I have a few questions for anyone willing to answer about podiatry. First of all, I have always wanted to work in the medical field and have considered becoming an ob/gyn for some time now... but lately i have been thinking about podiatry because, wanting to have a family as well as a life outside of work i feel that the job of a podiatrist would give me a perfect balance between work and family ... does anyone thing that my notions are correct? Furthermore, how did you know that you wanted to become a podiatrist? I know I love learning about the body both anatomically and physiologically... but i don’t have any driving force towards feet in particular.. i guess what im just afraid of is that I will go into the wrong field and regret my decisions... and last question for now i swear.. what undergraduate courses are required for podiatry school??
I'd appreciate any comments...thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

cmn623 said:
Hey there! I love this forum ... its so fun to read all of the comments. I have a few questions for anyone willing to answer about podiatry. First of all, I have always wanted to work in the medical field and have considered becoming an ob/gyn for some time now... but lately i have been thinking about podiatry because, wanting to have a family as well as a life outside of work i feel that the job of a podiatrist would give me a perfect balance between work and family ... does anyone thing that my notions are correct? Furthermore, how did you know that you wanted to become a podiatrist? I know I love learning about the body both anatomically and physiologically... but i don’t have any driving force towards feet in particular.. i guess what im just afraid of is that I will go into the wrong field and regret my decisions... and last question for now i swear.. what undergraduate courses are required for podiatry school??

The same undergrad courses required for any medical school.

Shadow a podiatrist for a few days to decide if you like the profession.

What happened to going to med school in Ireland? Why, besides lifestyle did you give up your dream of becoming an OBGYN?

If podiatry is a second choice because MD/ DO school did not work out, make sure that podiatry is what you want by shaddowing and learning as much as you can about podiatry before starting. If this is just a way to get into the healthcare field through a side door you may end up being very unhappy.

Goodluck. :thumbup:

krabmas said:
The same undergrad courses required for any medical school.

Shadow a podiatrist for a few days to decide if you like the profession.

What happened to going to med school in Ireland? Why, besides lifestyle did you give up your dream of becoming an OBGYN?

If podiatry is a second choice because MD/ DO school did not work out, make sure that podiatry is what you want by shaddowing and learning as much as you can about podiatry before starting. If this is just a way to get into the healthcare field through a side door you may end up being very unhappy.

Goodluck. :thumbup:

hey thanks for the reply... irelands still not out for sure im still planning on that just a little confused about what in medicine to get into because theres so much out there but thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that, for the most part, you are correct about podiatry being a great profession to mix with family - meaning that, the profession allows for reasonable and flexible hours, along with a great income. Of course, this is dependent on how successful you are and how good you are at your job, but all the pods that I know have said that one of their favorite things about their professions is that it allows for them to have the time they want with their family.

However, in my opinion, you really have to like the idea of podiatric medicine to spend the money, time, and energy in becoming a DPM. Personally, I think feet are fascinating and well worth focusing my career on:) I have had many foot injuries/problems myself and thus I know how important good foot treatment is. I also realize that almost everyone has feet and that they stand on them every day....meaning that they are an incredibly important part of the body that need a lot of care...and a part of my body that I deeply value and I imagine that most others do as well. The idea of getting an MD is not exciting to me - I like the thought of specializing immediately on what I want...the foot and ankle. So, point being, I think podiatry is great, but if you do not - it might not be the best choice...if you do find interest in it, go for it!!

cmn623 said:
hey thanks for the reply... irelands still not out for sure im still planning on that just a little confused about what in medicine to get into because theres so much out there but thanks!

Since talk is being gathered in the pre-pod forum, which is considered the best state to practice in? Be it scope of practice and income ...

bkpa2med said:
Since talk is being gathered in the pre-pod forum, which is considered the best state to practice in? Be it scope of practice and income ...
See or search the many threads addressing this, in the Podiatry forum.

cmn623 said:

Req's are pretty much the same as for med school.

cmn623 said:

My opinion is the same as the rest of the peanut gallery. But I've got a few things that you can think about. One, the average work week for podiatrist according to the APMA survey is 41.8 hours/week. I'm not sure what the average is in other specialties but it definitely leaves time to be w/ your family.

As for the feet issue, if you truly appreciate anatomy and phys, the foot is amazing complicated. Without ticking off the rest of the world, I would dare to say it is the just behind the brain and embryonic development in complexity. Big words but for such a small area of the body, it does amazing things. 1/3 of your body’s bones are in the feet, there are 107 ligaments. Almost all systemic disease manifests themselves in some way in the lower limb. One thing to remember is pods have a limited license to practice, but an unlimited license to diagnose.

I would suggest job shadowing a pod and also aacpm.org has a DPM mentoring program that may help answer some of your questions. Get to know podiatry before you jump in b/c it has to be right or it is just a waste of time and resources.

Dr_Feelgood said:
My opinion is the same as the rest of the peanut gallery. But I've got a few things that you can think about. One, the average work week for podiatrist according to the APMA survey is 41.8 hours/week. I'm not sure what the average is in other specialties but it definitely leaves time to be w/ your family.

As for the feet issue, if you truly appreciate anatomy and phys, the foot is amazing complicated. Without ticking off the rest of the world, I would dare to say it is the just behind the brain and embryonic development in complexity. Big words but for such a small area of the body, it does amazing things. 1/3 of your body’s bones are in the feet, there are 107 ligaments. Almost all systemic disease manifests themselves in some way in the lower limb. One thing to remember is pods have a limited license to practice, but an unlimited license to diagnose.

I would suggest job shadowing a pod and also aacpm.org has a DPM mentoring program that may help answer some of your questions. Get to know podiatry before you jump in b/c it has to be right or it is just a waste of time and resources.

Cool,

What are some interesting diseases that manifests themselves in the lower extremity? From working around a lot of sick people I see some weird looking legs and feet.

Does the Podiatrist do anything with rehab of peoples legs and feet after being in a hospital? The other day I came across a patient with some braces of their feet. I asked the RN what those foot braces are for and they told me to reduce the rehabilitation time for that pt. I guess every day that a pt spends in the hospital, it takes 3 days of rehab to recover.

Thanks.

doclm said:
Cool,

What are some interesting diseases that manifests themselves in the lower extremity? From working around a lot of sick people I see some weird looking legs and feet.

Does the Podiatrist do anything with rehab of peoples legs and feet after being in a hospital? The other day I came across a patient with some braces of their feet. I asked the RN what those foot braces are for and they told me to reduce the rehabilitation time for that pt. I guess every day that a pt spends in the hospital, it takes 3 days of rehab to recover.

Thanks.

Well, I'm always interested in the crazy things that happen to patients w/ DM. They can develop neuropathies, ulcers, or Charcot. If you want to see an interesting disease Charcot is a good one. The patient basic breaks their foot into millions of pieces and they never feel a thing.

Other interesting things are smokers who develop Buerger’s disease. They'll get spontaneous ischemic gangrene and toes fall off. Or patients w/ blue toe syndrome b/c they are showering emboli from a heart that is in atrial fib.

Patients w/ peripheral arterial disease are interesting too. Some of them you refer to (or if you are lucky enough, work w/) vascular surgeons and basically do bypasses similar to a cardiac surgeon.

I'm sure that some of the more experienced pods will have even cooler stories.

doclm said:
Cool,

Thanks.

Sorry I forgot to answer the second part of your post. No, we refer them to PT. Usually we just tell them to do whatever they deem appropriate. That is the great thing about a health system; patients get true experts in different medical fields.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Sorry I forgot to answer the second part of your post. No, we refer them to PT. Usually we just tell them to do whatever they deem appropriate. That is the great thing about a health system; patients get true experts in different medical fields.

Thanks for the good feedback. :thumbup:

Dr. Feelgood:

I'm impressed with all these diseases that pods can treat. You get a thumbs up from me and keep it up!

Members don't see this ad :)
bkpa2med said:
Dr. Feelgood:

I'm impressed with all these diseases that pods can treat. You get a thumbs up from me and keep it up!

Thanks. Have you notice that the statue in your pic looks like he is waiting for a low-5.

A few points to consider...

Learn what "bread and butter" podiatry means and ask yourself it that's what you want to spend 3-4 days a week doing.

Learn how the DPM degree is viewed by many physicians.
(I don't want you surprised to find out that top in your podiatry class still earns you sneers and chuckles from many physicians.... And many more don't even know what a DPM is..... Or are afraid to say. It's a real hoot when the nurses get that attitude too!)

Learn about the wide range of candidates that the schools let in.
(I don't want you saying, "how did they get in to this school.... Or worse yet, how are they going to be my peer!!!!")

Realize that you may not be able to work only 40-50 hours a week to make ends meet.

Learn what it means to be at the mercy of virtual tyrants in a "good 'ol boy" system...

Learn about haves and have nots....

Find the "real" podiatry job market and then please post all those jobs so that I can know where to find one too when I graduate!!!!

Learn how to be yelled at and ridiculed by very smart "teachers" who qualified for podiatry school. The top ten Ivy league schools just doesn't know what they're missing out on!!

Learn how to keep your mouth shut when you’re 150K in debt because if you say a naughty peep, you could be doomed!

Learn that podiatry degree doesn't automatically = 120K+/yr...

Learn to instinctively defend your profession/school/decision based on emotion rather than logic. And any criticism (constructive or otherwise) must be viewed according to the accepted party line of podiatry/particular school etc.... ie. "We don't have a problem here! Not my school! love it or leave it! It's that way everywhere!"

Above all, just learn and learn some more... You don't want to go into this blind.

whiskers,
you seem like you were let down. what happend ? we'd all like to know...

whiskers said:
Learn how to be yelled at and ridiculed by very smart "teachers" who qualified for podiatry school. The top ten Ivy league schools just doesn't know what they're missing out on!!

There are only 8 Ivy League schools in the country. They are Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Princeton University University of Pennsylvania, and Yale University. Not sure where you got the top ten Ivy League schools.

I too would love to know from where the chip on your shoulder comes.
in any case, i was much intrigued by your comment about the real job market in podiatry. buy an existing practice, phase the old doctor out, and experience some cashflow. there is something to be said about cashflow right out of school. the thing is, business is business, and there is always room for an aggresive, high-caliber professional no matter the location or job sector. i would never presume to lecture you, as you probably have a bit more life experience within the realms of podiatry than i, but find a little self confidence, couple that with a minor attitude adjustment, and you might surprise yourself. the power of positve thinking is just that: positive!

whiskers said:

Learn what "bread and butter" podiatry means and ask yourself it that's what you want to spend 3-4 days a week doing.

(I don't want you surprised to find out that top in your podiatry class still earns you sneers and chuckles from many physicians.... And many more don't even know what a DPM is..... Or are afraid to say. It's a real hoot when the nurses get that attitude too!)

(I don't want you saying, "how did they get in to this school.... Or worse yet, how are they going to be my peer!!!!")

Realize that you may not be able to work only 40-50 hours a week to make ends meet.

Learn what it means to be at the mercy of virtual tyrants in a "good 'ol boy" system...

Find the "real" podiatry job market and then please post all those jobs so that I can know where to find one too when I graduate!!!!

Learn how to keep your mouth shut when you’re 150K in debt because if you say a naughty peep, you could be doomed!

Learn to instinctively defend your profession/school/decision based on emotion rather than logic. And any criticism (constructive or otherwise) must be viewed according to the accepted party line of podiatry/particular school etc.... ie. "We don't have a problem here! Not my school! love it or leave it! It's that way everywhere!"

Above all, just learn and learn some more... You don't want to go into this blind.

whiskers said:

I have to COMPLETELY disagree with you on this one whiskers. There are plenty of jobs, there is plenty of money, and DPM's are extremely well respected and well utilized by the rest of the medical community.

Reactions: 1 user
Whiskers, I would have to say attitude dictates success. Successful people think successfully. Just a thought.

dpmgrad said:
There are only 8 Ivy League schools in the country. They are Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Princeton University University of Pennsylvania, and Yale University. Not sure where you got the top ten Ivy League schools.

Wait! I guess that I thought university of phoenix and devry could be added to that list....

Maybe I was counting a couple satellite campuses? Or maybe I never thought to count them all or list them….I was a lazy whiskers and just rounded them off to the best-looking number….

Thanks for that information and have a nice day!

Wait a minute, wait a minute....

8 Ivy league schools

8 podiatry schools (Unless I counted wrong ;))

It must mean something!

whiskers said:
Wait a minute, wait a minute....

8 Ivy league schools

8 podiatry schools (Unless I counted wrong ;))

It must mean something!

Podiatric residencies are affiliated with most of them! (Brown, Harvard, Penn, Cornell, Yale)

Since attending podiatry school, "affiliated" has taken on a new meaning!

I've heard all types of bragging on "affiliations" in my time in school, and to be honest, the term is used very liberally!

It's kind of funny, and at times, I wonder if the " affiliates" are aware of their level of affiliation and how it's almost a sales pitch!

It's almost kind of like the research thing at some of the schools....

whiskers said:

I've heard all types of bragging on "affiliations" in my time in school, and to be honest, the term is used very liberally!

It's kind of funny, and at times, I wonder if the " affiliates" are aware of their level of affiliation and how it's almost a sales pitch!

Dude, I've got 1 question. Why did you choose pods if you hate it so much? There's no way in hell you're going to be able to do this career, irregardless of the school's "failing" to "properly educate you, blah, blah blah." that you claim they ALL (pod schools in general) have anyway.

Do you get paid to post here? It seems like you can't hold an intelligent conversation in any post you make. You simply bellow some crap about anti-pods. Why don't you become a transient and drink cheap beer and tell it to your buddies, while you guys all sleep under the bridge you'll live under. You can't possibly do ANYTHING constructive with your attitude or negativity.

It's a shame you're ruining the best years of your life babbling your opinions on here, of which most people here think is just pathetic whining. Get a life guy. Wiseup before it's too late and employers see your real self. God help you if you're anything like this in real-life. You'll be lucky to keep a paper route at this pace. :eek:

capo said:
God help you if you're anything like this in real-life. You'll be lucky to keep a paper route at this pace. :eek:

Well Said. :thumbup:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Have you noticed that this Whisky fella only started posting anything on SDN 10/2005. Therefore, this person is either a sick first year student, or dropped out a while back and has nothing better to do than discourage Pre-Pods or is not a student at all and is encouraged by some entity to post negative blab.

Whiskers,

Represent your POD school! ;)

whiskers said:

Well then let me simplify for you. Affiliate = rotate/medical & surgical privileges (usually including call)

I guess things are as confusing as you make them.

capo said:
Why don't you become a transient and drink cheap beer and tell it to your buddies, while you guys all sleep under the bridge you'll live under.

Actually that's exactly what some of us are anticipating after graduation!

We'll be your peers!

"Howdy partner! How's business?"

doclm said:
Well Said. :thumbup:

Have you noticed that this Whisky fella only started posting anything on SDN 10/2005. Therefore, this person is either a sick first year student, or dropped out a while back and has nothing better to do than discourage Pre-Pods or is not a student at all and is encouraged by some entity to post negative blab.

Whiskers,

Represent your POD school! ;)

Lol, you must not really understand "podiatry forums" from a "historical" perspective....

whiskers said:
Lol, you must not really understand "podiatry forums" from a "historical" perspective....

evidently not. perhaps you could relate another analogy and kindly clear up this misunderstanding.

Whiskers isn't worth replying to.

To the OP, don't listen nor be discouraged by Whiskers around here. There are plenty of good people on here, that are sane and willing to give advice that'll be helpful -- not a blatant waste of bandwidth.

Man some of you are brutal. I can't say that I agree w/ Whiskers but on the same right, I can't say that I've walk a mile in his/her shoes. He didn't go to CPMS, Scholl, or AZPOD so that limits the scope of where he/she went. It is something that the pre-pods should consider that your education life sometimes does not go as planned. That is why it is so important to visit and ask questions about all of the schools.

Whiskers, I ain't mad at ya, do your thing player.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Man some of you are brutal. I can't say that I agree w/ Whiskers but on the same right, I can't say that I've walk a mile in his/her shoes. He didn't go to CPMS, Scholl, or AZPOD so that limits the scope of where he/she went. It is something that the pre-pods should consider that your education life sometimes does not go as planned. That is why it is so important to visit and ask questions about all of the schools.

Whiskers, I ain't mad at ya, do your thing player.

As seen in one of Whiskers posting on the Podiatry Forum below:

whiskers said:
Although I'm proud of my profession in many regards, I don't consider my school to be at the same level as the Iowa, Arizona, Chicago or Temple podiatric medical programs (all to different degrees).

He did not attend Temple either. :)

dpmgrad said:
As seen in one of Whiskers posting on the Podiatry Forum below:

He did not attend Temple either. :)

I didn't mean to leave out Temple, I just couldn't remember which colleges he/she eliminated.

Dr_Feelgood said:
I didn't mean to leave out Temple, I just couldn't remember which colleges he/she eliminated.

This leaves Ohio, Barry, NYCPM and Cali (CSPM).

doclm said:
This leaves Ohio, Barry, NYCPM and Cali (CSPM).

from other things he has said I think it is either NYCPM or Ohio.

This is like a game of clue - how fun!

Wiskers once gave advice to not go to Ohio for some reason that makes me think he either went there or met some people from there.

Then I think NYCPM because the research thing, the affiliate thing and some other random stuff.

NYCPM brags about the Columbia affiliations thing but it is really an affiliation with the Presbyterian Hospital network. Columbia does not even have podiatry in the hospital - if you call for one they tell you the name and number of a neighboring pod.

Wiskers - if we guess will you tell us who is right?

I guess Ohio.

krabmas said:
from other things he has said I think it is either NYCPM or Ohio.

This is like a game of clue - how fun!

Wiskers once gave advice to not go to Ohio for some reason that makes me think he either went there or met some people from there.

Then I think NYCPM because the research thing, the affiliate thing and some other random stuff.

NYCPM brags about the Columbia affiliations thing but it is really an affiliation with the Presbyterian Hospital network. Columbia does not even have podiatry in the hospital - if you call for one they tell you the name and number of a neighboring pod.

Wiskers - if we guess will you tell us who is right?

I guess Ohio.
OR it is Feelgood using another name and just screwing with all of us!!!

jonwill said:

jonwill said:

Maybe. :laugh: I'll let you be the judge:

I dance. I am.

When will poditary wrestle a bear.

I am the dolphin, dance monkey, dance.