The Ultimate 2020 Election / Politics / General News Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with that either. But it is true that we should worried about massive economic contraction in the next 20-40 years due to geopolitical effects of climate change if we continue to emit at this pace. There's no way we're going to be below the 1.5 C goal-- that's already a foregone conclusion. The best we can hope is to mitigate some of the worst effects by staying below 2C.

A massive economic contraction would be disruptive but I don’t think stagnation or a mild contraction would be a bad thing. Is the average Japanese citizen unhappier or less secure than the average American?

Members don't see this ad.

The GOP has decided that they have no agenda for a second-term other than blindly following Trump and opposing literally everything Obama did and the Democrats are proposing. That's really just sad and pathetic when you think about everything going on right now.

It's also a bold move coming from a party that really hasn't done much at all for the economy since taking over.

The best thing is that they accuse Biden of hiding in a bunker while simultaneously they can't even bring themselves to lay their junk out on the table vis a vis a platform.

It's because they know the platform of trump is terribly narrow and mostly unpopular. Trump's economic accomplishments (and/or lack thereof) cater to a sliver of the uber wealthy and corporations. His social accomplishments (and/or lack thereof) on race, LGBTQ, abortion etc cater to fanatical nutjobs who are well out of the mainstream. He has no plan to get uninsured Americans healthcare. He is not just a climate change denier but is almost cartoonishly pro-pollution. His hardline on immigration puts kids in cages and doesn't even make economic sense given how many businesses rely on illegal labor. His foreign policy caters to dictators and has made us a laughingstock in the global community. His anti- legalization of cannabis stance is a bygone relic. And on and on and on.

Can you even imagine the faces of the RNC as they sat down and pondered putting this garbage on paper? No wonder all their personality cult could come up with was a cowardly, ambiguous "we generally support trump"

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
The best thing is that they accuse Biden of hiding in a bunker while simultaneously they can't even bring themselves to lay their junk out on the table vis a vis a platform.

It's because they know the platform of trump is terribly narrow and mostly unpopular. Trump's economic accomplishments (and/or lack thereof) cater to a sliver of the uber wealthy and corporations. His social accomplishments (and/or lack thereof) on race, LGBTQ, abortion etc cater to fanatical nutjobs who are well out of the mainstream. He has no plan to get uninsured Americans healthcare. He is not just a climate change denier but is almost cartoonishly pro-pollution. His hardline on immigration puts kids in cages and doesn't even make economic sense given how many businesses rely on illegal labor. His foreign policy caters to dictators and has made us a laughingstock in the global community. His anti- legalization of cannabis stance is a bygone relic. And on and on and on.

Can you even imagine the faces of the RNC as they sat down and pondered putting this garbage on paper? No wonder all their personality cult could come up with was a cowardly, ambiguous "we generally support trump"

The Republican Party is a disgrace. No former presidents speaking this week. No Republicans who ran against Trump in 2016. No platform. Trump alienates everyone. It's a show of Trump and his family all week. Meanwhile people who support him are holding on with a death grip to a world that is changing, and rather than change with it, they demand it 'stay the same...don't change...please...we need the status quo!!'. I can assure you the only reason Nikki Haley spoke is to hedge her bets and stay in the good graces of both the Trump Republican Party and 'The Party Formerly Known as the Republican Party' as she intends to run in the future.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Kim Guilfoyle's speech was awful. Just truly awful. One of the most divisive, hateful speeches I've heard. She is an extreme rightist launching verbal bombs at extreme leftists. It was like some pre-war motivation speech to get the troops all riled up and salivating. Every moderate in America, you know, the large majority of us, are staring around wondering 'WTH is this crap?'.

Tim Scott's speech was good. Very good in fact. If you're a moderate you're nodding in agreement when you hear Tim Scott speak and you can barely watch when Kim Guilfoyle speaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Kim Guilfoyle's speech was awful. Just truly awful. One of the most divisive, hateful speeches I've heard. She is an extreme rightist launching verbal bombs at extreme leftists. It was like some pre-war motivation speech to get the troops all riled up and salivating. Every moderate in America, you know, the large majority of us, are staring around wondering 'WTH is this crap?'.

Tim Scott's speech was good. Very good in fact. If you're a moderate you're nodding in agreement when you hear Tim Scott speak and you can barely watch when Kim Guilfoyle speaks.
Being from SC, Scott is fantastic.

Nikki Haley is actually better than she's appeared of late. She was an excellent governor.

Reactions: 1 users
g0dauk1oz9s41.jpg

David Sedaris on undecided voters

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Another airplane analogy, courtesy of Sam Harris:

"Imagine you’re on an airplane, cruising along at 30,000 feet, and at some point on the descent, you see the pilot come stumbling out of the cockpit. He appears just visibly drunk, or insane. Let’s say he gropes one of the attendants.

He gets on the PA system and begins bragging about how rich he is. And maybe he starts castigating the passengers for having insulted him. He might say, “If you want me to land this plane, you have to be nicer to me.” — i.e. something completely out of keeping with the role and responsibility he has to safeguard the lives of the people on that plane.

Then he could launch into a conspiracy theory about how the airline is actually run by a shadowy group of maintenance workers, who’ve been undermining him. He thinks they’ve been monkeying with the instruments in the cockpit.

And maybe he fires the co-pilot, and sends him to the back of the plane, telling him not to move.

He could do a dozen other things like that, in the span of an hour, that prove beyond any shadow of a doubt that this isn’t a “normal” situation. This is not a normal pilot.

So when it comes time to land this plane, the danger has been horribly magnified. And — as a passenger — you’re simply worried about this.

Now, imagine worrying about this out loud, and then noticing there are people on this plane that are actually inspired by this pilot’s antics, and goading him on.

He’s now threatening to punch some old woman in the face, and people are yelling he should do it.

And then people are turning to you, as you worry about this out loud, and accuse you of having “pilot derangement syndrome”, and that you should stop worrying and just enjoy the flight, and that Captain Trump is making flying great again.

So the question is: How much of your concern about dying in a plane crash, is due to partisanship? It should be obvious that that’s not even a variable."

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Just a little update on the RNC for y’all

The first is about Mary Mendoza, a person whose son was killed by an undocumented drunk driver in 2014. She was scheduled to speak at the RNC tonight until a few hours ago

“ One of the speakers for the second night of the Republican National Convention was pulled from the program after The Daily Beast surfaced a tweet from her, earlier in the day, urging her followers to investigate a supposed Jewish plot to enslave the world.

“Do yourself a favor and read this thread,” Mary Ann Mendoza, who is a member of the Trump campaign’s advisory board, tweeted to her more than 40,000 followers Tuesday morning.

Mendoza, an “angel mom,” was scheduled to speak Tuesday about her son’s 2014 death at the hands of a drunk driver who was in the country illegally. But a Republican source familiar with the programming said the speech had been cancelled amid uproar over her tweet.

Hours earlier, Mendoza had linked to a lengthy thread from a QAnon conspiracy theorist that laid out a fevered, anti-Semitic view of the world. In its telling, the Rothschilds—a famous Jewish banking family from Germany—created a plot to terrorize non-Jewish “goyim,” with purported details of their scheme that included plans to “make the goyim destroy each other” and “rob the goyim of their landed properties.”

Drawing on more than a century’s worth of anti-Semitic hoaxes and smears, the thread claimed that malevolent Jewish forces in the banking industry are out to enslave non-Jews and promote world wars. Riddled with QAnon references, the thread from Twitter user @WarNuse claimed that the Titanic had been sunk to protect the Federal Reserve, and that every president between John F. Kennedy and Donald Trump was a “slave president” in the thrall of a global cabal.

The thread also promoted “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion,” an anti-Semitic hoax popular in Nazi Germany, and claimed that its allegations about a Jewish plot to control the world are real.

“The Protocols of the Elders of Zion is not a fabrication,” the thread that Mendoza shared reads. “And, it certainly is not anti-semetic (sic) to point out this fact.”

— —-

The second person, an extreme anti-abortion activist named Abby Johnson, has not been canceled. Let’s see what she says

Ahead of her moment in the biggest spotlight, Johnson came under scrutiny for comments that had nothing to do with abortion. Vice uncovered video of her discussing racial profiling in the context of her “brown son,” Jude.

“Right now, Jude is an adorable, perpetually tan-looking little brown boy,” said Johnson. “But one day, he’s going to grow up and he’s going to be a tall, probably sort of large, intimidating-looking-maybe brown man. And my other boys are probably gonna look like nerdy white guys.”

She continued, “Statistically, I look at our prison population and I see that there is a disproportionately high number of African-American males in our prison population for crimes, particularly for violent crimes. So statistically, when a police officer sees a brown man like my Jude walking down the road— as opposed to my white nerdy kids, my white nerdy men walking down the road—because of the statistics that he knows in his head, that these police officers know in their head, they’re going to know that statistically my brown son is more likely to commit a violent offense over my white sons.”

“So the fact that in his head, he would be more careful around my brown son than my white son, that doesn’t actually make me angry. That makes that police officer smart, because of statistics.”
——-

Bonus trivia about Abby Johnson:

In May, Abby Johnson wrote on Twitter that she “would support bringing back household voting,” later explaining that, if spouses were to disagree, “Then they would have to decide on one vote. In a Godly household, the husband would get the final say.””

——-

When I said earlier that the platform of trump is catering to nutjobs I wasn’t exaggerating.

Last edited:

The position of secretary of State is generally regarded as a nonpartisan post, operating above the political fray to represent the most public face of American diplomacy. Pompeo, one of the few members of Trump’s Cabinet who has stayed with the president throughout his first term, is widely seen as the most partisan secretary of State in years.

His speech appears to flout his own recently issued guidelines. Last month Pompeo sent a memo to all State Department staff overseas, repeating a standard warning that they not engage in “any partisan political activity in concert with a partisan campaign, political party, or partisan political group, even on personal time and outside of the federal workplace.”

Someone like a Tim Scott from SC is the future of the GOP. As the country moves left the GOP will have no choice but to moderate towards the middle in order to be competitive in general elections.

Someone like a Tim Scott from SC is the future of the GOP. As the country moves left the GOP will have no choice but to moderate towards the middle in order to be competitive in general elections.

I certainly hope so.

Ronald Reagan who used to be a Democrat said, “I didn’t leave the Democratic Party. The party left me.”

That is exactly how I feel about the Republican Party today.

Fact checks are dumb when the administration getting checked doesn't care about facts. They're as dumb as the media pointing out over and over that the trump administration is violating the Hatch Act by having all these RNC events at the WH....since this administration also doesnt care about laws.

I do admire the ballsiness of it all though- pulling off this level of personality cult, lawlessness, and straight-up Orwellian disinformation and we're not even a third-world country like DPRK.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fact checks are dumb when the administration getting checked doesn't care about facts. They're as dumb as the media pointing out over and over that the trump administration is violating the Hatch Act by having all these RNC events at the WH....since this administration also doesnt care about laws.

I do admire the ballsiness of it all though- pulling off this level of personality cult, lawlessness, and straight-up Orwellian disinformation and we're not even a third-world country like DPRK.
You may think fact checks, the media, etc, are dumb but they aren't nearly as dumb as the audience. A major reason we are where we are is that the populace of this country is uneducated. These ppl will be deciding the election.

The polls are tightening...

I haven’t been following polls but I’ve resigned myself to the fact that he’s getting re-elected.

I mean there was a 17 yo white guy, "blue lives matter" and maga fanatic who shot and killed protestors and he was thanked by police officers as he walked around with a large gun and arrested without force. This is the country we live in. White people want 4 more years of this and are gonna make it happen.

I haven’t been following polls but I’ve resigned myself to the fact that he’s getting re-elected.

I mean there was a 17 yo white guy, "blue lives matter" and maga fanatic who shot and killed protestors and he was thanked by police officers as he walked around with a large gun and arrested without force. This is the country we live in. White people want 4 more years of this and are gonna make it happen.

Everyone on the right is taking a page right out of the Bannon/Trump book. Deflect, deflect, change the story, deflect. 'People are stupid they won't know the difference'. The 17yo murderer gets defended on air by Tucker Carlson. What does that say to his millions of watchers? The 17yo is no longer a murderer, per Tucker, because the states and cities haven't done their jobs protecting their citizens. That is what happens. See what Tucker did? Page right out of the Trump playbook.

Read what Steve Bannon and his dude Brian Kolfage are doing now? They no longer defrauded millions of people out of their stupid 'We Build the Wall' donations which simply enriched Bannon and the others. Now, of course, the US Attorneys Office in New York is to blame because THEY are the ones defrauding donors, keeping Bannon from building the wall (which that money hadn't been used for in 4 years....), and the Attorney's Office is ALSO seizing personal information of the donors. See what they did? See how that works? Bannon and his crooks no longer are thieves. They are HEROS to be followed because of what the Democrats are doing to them. Because their followers are too freaking stupid to see through the veil of lies.

Biden is still ahead in the polls. This may, sadly, still be a close election but anyone with a freaking brain should be able to see what Trump is doing. Tearing the country absolutely apart. Politics of division. Race baiting. Cronyism. Nepotism of the worst nature. This is NOT Democracy. This is NOT the country we've been and could be.

Not all white people. Maybe enough to get him reelected. Your choice of language can reasonably be construed as the speech of...well you should know the rest.

Reactions: 1 user
I watched the videos on Kyle Rittenhouse. I saw the supposed evidence of his murders and his interview prior to the events. What I saw was a scared kid who was afraid for his life. I saw the rioters trying to take his rifle/AR15 by force and engage in hostile behavior with Kyle. The kid overreacted to the situation.

Kyle made some poor decisions including the one to join the vigilantes in protecting businesses.

If I was on a jury I would not vote to convict Kyle of murder. I would consider a much lesser sentence of homicide or another offense. Just like in the Floyd case the evidence isn’t there for a murder conviction once all the facts are exposed.

While many of you may disagree with me I still don’t see the evidence of police racism against blacks. It isn’t there. I would expect white men to be treated the exact same way as those black men were by the police. While they were all low level criminals the fact remains they broke the law and resisted arrest. I do not condone the excessive force by police but like much of America I see no justification in the rioting and looting going on in our cities.

If Biden loses this election the cause will be the lawlessness allowed to persist in our cities. The vast majority of Americans are opposed to the rioters and looters; unlike Biden a Trump victory is offering them security and safety by restoring law and order across this nation. The election is just as much about safety and security as it is Covid 19.

The silent majority is real. They will be voting for Trump again this election

Last edited:
Everyone on the right is taking a page right out of the Bannon/Trump book. Deflect, deflect, change the story, deflect. 'People are stupid they won't know the difference'. The 17yo murderer gets defended on air by Tucker Carlson. What does that say to his millions of watchers? The 17yo is no longer a murderer, per Tucker, because the states and cities haven't done their jobs protecting their citizens. That is what happens. See what Tucker did? Page right out of the Trump playbook.

Read what Steve Bannon and his dude Brian Kolfage are doing now? They no longer defrauded millions of people out of their stupid 'We Build the Wall' donations which simply enriched Bannon and the others. Now, of course, the US Attorneys Office in New York is to blame because THEY are the ones defrauding donors, keeping Bannon from building the wall (which that money hadn't been used for in 4 years....), and the Attorney's Office is ALSO seizing personal information of the donors. See what they did? See how that works? Bannon and his crooks no longer are thieves. They are HEROS to be followed because of what the Democrats are doing to them. Because their followers are too freaking stupid to see through the veil of lies.

Biden is still ahead in the polls. This may, sadly, still be a close election but anyone with a freaking brain should be able to see what Trump is doing. Tearing the country absolutely apart. Politics of division. Race baiting. Cronyism. Nepotism of the worst nature. This is NOT Democracy. This is NOT the country we've been and could be.

Yep exactly.
It makes absolutely zero sense that people are saying that if Biden is elected there isn’t going to be "law and order." The crisis we’re in between Covid and racial division that’s currently happening is happening under trump’s watch. He never takes responsibility for a damn thing. There is literally a white supremacist as his senior adviser, Stephen Miller. The gop is trash for being complicit. I’ll never forgive people who voted for him.

Reactions: 2 users
I watched the videos on Kyle Rittenhouse. I saw the supposed evidence of his murders and his interview prior to the events. What I saw was a scared kid who was afraid for his life. I saw the rioters trying to take his rifle/AR15 by force and engage in hostile behavior with Kyle. The kid overreacted to the situation.

Kyle made some poor decisions including the one to join the vigilantes in protecting businesses.

If I was on a jury I would not vote to convict Kyle of murder. I would consider a much lesser sentence of homicide or another offense. Just like in the Floyd case the evidence isn’t there for a murder conviction once all the facts are exposed.

While many of you may disagree with me I still don’t see the evidence of police racism against blacks. It isn’t there. I would expect white men to be treated the exact same way as those black men were by the police. While they were all low level criminals the fact remains they broke the law and resisted arrest. I do not condone the excessive force by police but like much of America I see no justification in the rioting and looting going on in our cities.

If Biden loses this election the cause will be the lawlessness allowed to persist in our cities. The vast majority of Americans are opposed to the rioters and looters; unlike Biden a Trump victory is offering them security and safety by restoring law and order across this nation. The election is just as much about safety and security as it is Covid 19.

You have your causality entirely reversed. People are rioting, in part, because trump is president.

Also, the idea that the president who flaunts every single norm, established piece decorum, and law, who has not separated himself from his businesses, who has not released his tax returns, who engages in rampant nepotism, who openly solicits election help from foreign countries only to get impeached, and who has over a half dozen of his close associates convicted and/or in jail........is somehow the "law and order" president? Goddamned laughable.

You have your causality entirely reversed. People are rioting, in part, because trump is president.

I am well aware the rioting is being condoned by those on the left. I believe this will backfire and give Trump more votes than he would otherwise garner without the lawlessness

I am well aware the rioting is being condoned by those on the left.

Not surprised all you can spout are fox news talking points milked straight from the teats of Hannity and Tucker.

“You know, as I said after George Floyd’s murder, protesting brutality is a right and absolutely necessary. But burning down communities is not protest, it’s needless violence,” Biden said in the video.

“Violence that endangers lives. Violence that guts businesses and shutters businesses that serve the community. That’s wrong.”

------------

Last edited:
Well then we shall in November if the majority of states agree with you. This will be a close election and the voter is well aware of the issues. Many simply disagree with your assessment of the current situation.

Again, the voters will have the final say and many don’t agree with the Democrats on the issues. Ultimately, the issues do matter and voters may decide to vote GOP in spite of their dislike for Donald Trump.

Not surprised all you can spout are fox news talking points milked straight from the teats of Hannity and Tucker.

“You know, as I said after George Floyd’s murder, protesting brutality is a right and absolutely necessary. But burning down communities is not protest, it’s needless violence,” Biden said in the video.

“Violence that endangers lives. Violence that guts businesses and shutters businesses that serve the community. That’s wrong.”

------------

What Republicans and Independents see are a mob of left wing lunatics endangering the health, welfare and property of those that disagree with them.

What we see are cities and states controlled by Democrats who refuse to enforce the law and maintain order in their streets.

This is what many Americans are going to be voting about this November as much as anything else.

An abomination because he violated the Hatch act? It’s not like the Trump signs are permanently part of the White House. I do agree that using the White House or public property for a political cause is not correct. The act should be condemned but I have a hard time believing liberals really care about being fair about political expression on public property.

What Republicans and Independents see are a mob of left wing lunatics endangering the health, welfare and property of those that disagree with them.

What we see are cities and states controlled by Democrats who refuse to enforce the law and maintain order in their streets.

This is what many Americans are going to be voting about this November as much as anything else.

It's not actually what you've seen. It's the out of context 5 second clips clips or shorts and outright distorted spin from the talking points of right wing media that's got you all worked up. It's much easier to follow the narrative that's been spoonfed to you than acknowledge that civil unrest is a hundred times worse under trump than it would be under someone who's not a hardliner fascist-lite idiot who gasses peaceful crowds in the furtherance of photo-ops with upside-down bibles.

For instance, the right wing narrative on Portland is that it might as well be 1995 Bosnia........when in reality:

1598745213479.png

You guys were up in arms about Portland and everyone was telling you that trump and DHS are making it worse. Then trump and DHS pull out, the protests turn pretty much peaceful overnight, and what do we hear from you? Nothing. And now, Proud Boys and all the other right wing militias are stirring sh~t up again, and I bet lickety split you'll be back with more dumba$$ statements about how the left are the ones who want anarchy.

Seriously, at this point the concept that voting for Biden is a vote against law and order is ridiculous, and propagating such a notion is a symptom of either extreme ignorance, extreme disingenuousness, or both.

• Love
An abomination because he violated the Hatch act? It’s not like the Trump signs are permanently part of the White House. I do agree that using the White House or public property for a political cause is not correct. The act should be condemned but I have a hard time believing liberals really care about being fair about political expression on public property.

Yea sure thing. What's the big deal? "Laws" and "Acts" and "Norms" and "Decorum" are just for us regular folks to follow. Let the president have a pass on a clear directive to separate government property and personnel from political campaigns and fundraising. And maybe a pass on releasing his tax returns. And separating from his business. And encouraging corporations and governments to stay at his hotels. And having his kids as advisors. And blanket non-responding to lawful subpoenas. And having his DOJ interfere in his cronies' court cases. And soliciting election help from foreign adversaries. It's fine.

e
Yea sure thing. What's the big deal? "Laws" and "Acts" and "Norms" and "Decorum" are just for us regular folks to follow. Let the president have a pass on a clear directive to separate government property and personnel from political campaigns and fundraising. And maybe a pass on releasing his tax returns. And separating from his business. And encouraging corporations and governments to stay at his hotels. And having his kids as advisors. And blanket non-responding to lawful subpoenas. And having his DOJ interfere in his cronies' court cases. And soliciting election help from foreign adversaries. It's fine.

Trump is a rule breaker and a non conformist. That’s who he is and always will be

But, you somehow fail to see that a large portion of this country views the liberal bias of the media and elected Democrat officials as just as bad.

When “Defund the Police” is touted by officials and CNN as good policy, when citizens of only one party are allowed to use public property for political purposes such as Black Lives Matter combined with political leaders telling the police not to enforce the law against rioters/looters there is going to be a big backlash.
Trump feels the backlash and knows what he can get away with due to the hyper partisanship which is now prevalent in America.

The political divide has never been greater in my lifetime than it is today. While liberals want to blame Trump for this divide the truth is we have a trump because the divisions were already there in 2016. Trump has taken advantage of these divisions and the Democrat party responded by moving even farther left on policies.

For many Trump voters the decision to go with Trump for another 4 years is based on policy, economics and most recently law and order.

Biden can still win this election but many voters are deeply afraid of the rioters and looters out there. BLM represents lawlessness and anarchy to some instead of racial justice. Biden’s Policies are extremely progressive and likely to the left of the average voter. That’s why this election will be a close one.

e

Trump is a rule breaker and a non conformist. That’s who he is and always will be

But, you somehow fail to see that a large portion of this country views the liberal bias of the media and elected Democrat officials as just as bad.

When “Defund the Police” is touted by officials and CNN as good policy, when citizens of only one party are allowed to use public property for political purposes such as Black Lives Matter combined with political leaders telling the police not to enforce the law against rioters/looters there is going to be a big backlash.
Trump feels the backlash and knows what he can get away with due to the hyper partisanship which is now prevalent in America.

The political divide has never been greater in my lifetime than it is today. While liberals want to blame Trump for this divide the truth is we have a trump because the divisions were already there in 2016. Trump has taken advantage of these divisions and the Democrat party responded by moving even farther left on policies.

For many Trump voters the decision to go with Trump for another 4 years is based on policy, economics and most recently law and order.

Biden can still win this election but many voters are deeply afraid of the rioters and looters out there. BLM represents lawlessness and anarchy to some instead of racial justice. Biden’s Policies are extremely progressive and likely to the left of the average voter. That’s why this election will be a close one.

Have you considered the possibility that the rioters and looters exist because of Trump and the people that he empowers? I don't remember many riots under Obama.

Have you considered the possibility that the rioters and looters exist because of Trump and the people that he empowers? I don't remember many riots under Obama.

Hernandez has been sharing videos of the violence on his Youtube channel and Twitter feedfor people to see what the mainstream media refuses to show. Hernandez believes his content, captured night after night, proves Black Lives Matter is a “terrorist organization.”

Hernandez has seen violence among these groups every night for months in various cities across the country, and doesn’t think their anger “justifies taking down people’s businesses.”

There were a lot during early days of BLM in 2013-14? The current riots started like 3 months ago so of course they're a lot fresher and larger in mind.

Still, Charlie Dent, a former Republican congressman who has endorsed Biden, said the issue creates “vulnerabilities” for Democrats.
“The whole point of the Biden campaign right now is to persuade independents and soft Republicans to come his way, and I do think that many of those folks believe public safety is important,” said Dent, who represented a moderate district around Allentown until 2018. “I think a lot of these people understand why the protests are occurring and the need for reforms. ... But looting, vandalism, burning of cars, and other lawless behavior is abhorrent to many of these same people.”

I think the deep structural problems and failures contributing to regular unrest can be effectively addressed and resolved by progressives in power. I'm serious.

This unrest is not helping Joe Biden. If the protestors want to help elect progressives then they need to stop the looters and rioters ASAP.

This unrest is not helping Joe Biden. If the protestors want to help elect progressives then they need to stop the looters and rioters ASAP.

Unlikely to see a hardline stance coming from them now or in future. Reddit is already actively arguing that riots don't exist and it's an attempt by Trump supporters to undermine the protests.

Hernandez has been sharing videos of the violence on his Youtube channel and Twitter feedfor people to see what the mainstream media refuses to show. Hernandez believes his content, captured night after night, proves Black Lives Matter is a “terrorist organization.”

Hernandez has seen violence among these groups every night for months in various cities across the country, and doesn’t think their anger “justifies taking down people’s businesses.”

That didn't answer his question.

The unrest is occurring on Trump's watch. Trump's divisive nature has made everything about it worse. Tweets to rile up his base. Insulting governors and all Democrats. His political news channel defending armed militia committing murder.

Tweeting 'Blue and Black' or 'Law and Order' after another black man dies at the hands of LEOs, and watching the city burn when protests follow, how's that Biden's fault? Or Obama's fault? or Clinton's fault? This is all on Trump. But of course, deflect, deflect, change the story, and on and on.

There were a lot during early days of BLM in 2013-14? The current riots started like 3 months ago so of course they're a lot fresher and larger in mind.

Yep. And below are Obama’s words during the uprising in Ferguson.
An actual well thought out statement.

When one elects a racist president who has a white supremacist as a senior advisor of course people are going to be enraged. Couple that with a pandemic and worsened economics, of course it’s a perfect storm under a poor leader.

I think people in general are confused and think that the civil rights movement ended in the 70s, when in fact it has just continued with peaks and valleys. Until all of us are free none of us are free.

No, I don't fail to see it. I know people think like that. And those people are incredibly stupid and/or misguided.

When “Defund the Police” is touted by officials and CNN as good policy,

More lies, per usual. Everyone with any real power or influence, from Biden to the mayor of Minneapolis to Al Sharpton, has come out or clarified that total defunding is not helpful, but massive reform is what's needed.

In an interview with Norah O’Donnell aired by CBS just three days before the NowThis clip was published, Biden said, “I don’t support defunding the police… I support conditioning federal aid to police, based on whether or not they meet certain basic standards of decency and honorableness.”

Contrary to the America First Action advert, Biden has not called for “fewer resources” for police departments. His campaign has said it is calling for police departments to receive funding that would allow them to provide better training, equip officers with body cameras and improve relationships with the communities they patrol.

Are you sure this “silent majority” isn’t just a loud minority?

As an independent, the only thing I’m seeing is Trump mishandling multiple national crises. His management of coronavirus has made us the laughingstock of the world at best, and at worst has driven us to economic ruin while killing hundreds of thousands of people and ceding global leadership to our greatest rival in China. He yells law and order, but he has failed to control the unrest across this nation thus far. Instead of calming tensions and proposing plans, he continues with the divisive rhetoric and thuggish threats that are reminiscent of a third-world dictator.

What the heck makes you think that things will all of a sudden be different with a second term?

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.