The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Abs! You got this! Good thoughts!

Sent from Bob

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck, Abney!!!!

I have every imaginable appendage crossed for you!

Yup. Wednesdays are 8-5 with no lunch break. Blech.

Do you remember who interviewed you?

Gramps Lamps! He's awesome. When you get in he will remember he interviewed you forever. Fun fact- he taught my best friend human anatomy (she just got her MD this year).

Good luck x1,000,000,000,000

I am so glad you rocked it! :D

Thank you! I think it went really, really well! I'd ask if you want to grab breakfast tomorrow but I imagine you have class.

Yaaaaay Abney!! Can't wait to hear some good news!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Congrats Abs! I can feel that acceptance coming for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay. Since this is a support group (haha), does anyone have any ideas on what to do if you are not accepted into vet school? Like what you will be doing (or have done) while you wait for the next cycle? Also, what should you do if you don't get any acceptances buy have 2 or 3 alternates? Just trying to think of some options...

Okay. Since this is a support group (haha), does anyone have any ideas on what to do if you are not accepted into vet school? Like what you will be doing (or have done) while you wait for the next cycle? Also, what should you do if you don't get any acceptances buy have 2 or 3 alternates? Just trying to think of some options...

I was an alternate at 3 schools last year. I graduated last spring. So I continued to vary up my experiences, fill in the gaps where I could (ex. Research experience), I've taken grad level classes and in the event I don't get in this year, I will apply to a masters program and transfer those credits in.

I was rejected back in 2011 as I worked for a year in a mouse lab. I got an internship at the zoo and entered a Master's program while volunteering at the shelter and teaching. I also retook the GRE to improve my quantitative score. In the event that you need to wait another cycle, don't forget to do a file review with your schools--they are super helpful and made me realize where I needed to put my efforts.

There's been a few plan B threads where people have posted their back up plans and talked about how they can improve their app for the next cycle. Use the search tool to find them. Also, the "what are my chances" thread is good to see other's applications and find advice on how/if they need to be improved. You could also post your own stats. I love the accepted applicant stats thread, sometimes posters will say what they did to improve if they went through multiple cycles. good luck!

I'm a third year applicant so I've had some practice with this.

The first two times I applied my GRE scores were abysmal (I really had no excuse for not retaking them for year 2, but I didn't) so I retook the GREs this past summer. I studied quite a bit and (go figure) with studying my scores approved substantially. For all my files reviews after my second try (didn't do file reviews after the first - stupid, stupid, stupid) all the schools said it was my GRE scores that eliminated me from consideration. So, long story short, retake the GREs is your scores are on the lower end or even if you think you can score higher with some studying.

I'm a non-traditional so I work full time, but between application cycles I have continued to take 1-2 courses (either pre-requisites for more schools to apply to or upper division science courses). This was encouraged by the schools when I did my file review last year.

Experience, experience, experience. Use your time between cycles to get as much experience you can, including new types (like exotic, emergency, etc). In the time between last cycle and this cycle I was able to get a lot of experience at spay/neuter events that the vet school in my area assists with. I was also able to get LA experience (prior to this cycle I had none) and have been able to shadow a LA vet that goes all over Wisconsin working with beef and dairy cattle (and was able to get a recommendation letter from her).

If I don't get in this year I will continue to take courses and get more varied experience. When I first applied I feel I truly wasn't ready (lacking a lot of science courses, limited vet experience) but this year is the most prepared I have been.

Good luck to you and hopefully we won't have to worry about applying again (oh I hope, I hope)

Side note I am at WSU for my first interview ever later this afternoon :scared: So scared I'm going to eff this up. I think I'm going to hurl

I applied 3 years in a row: for c/o 2014, c/o 2015 and c/o 2016.

Get file reviews from the schools! They are very helpful. My problems were: average GPA, not very good verbal GRE scores (not bad, but nothing impressive) and no large animal/equine experience. Also, they give input on personal statements and other essays. I was waitlisted at at least one school every year that I applied. Finally got in this last cycle for c/o 2016. I basically redid my personal statement, got some experience with horses (could not find any large animal vets in my area), and got some more letters of recommendation. I knew that there was not much that could be done with my GPA, having already graduated, but I did retake the GRE (took that damn exam 3 times.. verbal score barely budged.)...

Talk to the schools and don't let rejection get you down, just have to be persistent. :)

Just got a call from an unknown number and I got realllly excited that it might be a school...nope. It was just my insurance calling to ask a question :lame: :thumbdown:

When I was on the waitlist for both ISU and WSU last year, I kept getting phone calls from this one solicitor... always from a Washington State area code... ugh. Every single time my heart would stop, you would think that after the tenth call from this number I would have gotten used to it, but nope... my heart would still skip a beat every time... :bang:

When I was on the waitlist for both ISU and WSU last year, I kept getting phone calls from this one solicitor... always from a Washington State area code... ugh. Every single time my heart would stop, you would think that after the tenth call from this number I would have gotten used to it, but nope... my heart would still skip a beat every time... :bang:

I keep having this happen to me too :mad: I almost never get calls from a 614 area code (Columbus), but ever since I interviewed at OSU, I am getting calls from that area code all the time! Did reverse phone look up, and it is a telemarketing number :mad: :rolleyes: I swear someone has to be messing with me...Cruel and unusual punishment I tell you!

Side note I am at WSU for my first interview ever later this afternoon :scared: So scared I'm going to eff this up. I think I'm going to hurl

You may have updated in another thread but, How'd it go? I had a dream last night that I couldn't stop acting silly during my interview and they finally just looked at me and told me to get out. I'm thinking this shouldn't be a problem with my real interview :xf:, but I still woke up in a cold sweat :laugh:

You may have updated in another thread but, How'd it go? I had a dream last night that I couldn't stop acting silly during my interview and they finally just looked at me and told me to get out. I'm thinking this shouldn't be a problem with my real interview :xf:, but I still woke up in a cold sweat :laugh:

Thanks for asking Lupin! I think it went ok, it helped that there were current students and a dog in the waiting room to calm my nerves. Everyone was so nice. Although after speaking to a couple other interviewees, we all seemed to have a general consensus that we had no idea how we did! I was definitely imagining a similar scenario to yours or just of me having verbal diarrhea but I managed to catch myself..kind of :) Where are you interviewing? Best of luck to you :luck: You will be awesome!!

Thanks for asking Lupin! I think it went ok, it helped that there were current students and a dog in the waiting room to calm my nerves. Everyone was so nice. Although after speaking to a couple other interviewees, we all seemed to have a general consensus that we had no idea how we did! I was definitely imagining a similar scenario to yours or just of me having verbal diarrhea but I managed to catch myself..kind of :) Where are you interviewing? Best of luck to you :luck: You will be awesome!!

OK state on valentines. I had a wonderful day on Valentine's last year (non love related ;)), so i'm hoping the same for this year!

I keep having this happen to me too :mad: I almost never get calls from a 614 area code (Columbus), but ever since I interviewed at OSU, I am getting calls from that area code all the time! Did reverse phone look up, and it is a telemarketing number :mad: :rolleyes: I swear someone has to be messing with me...Cruel and unusual punishment I tell you!

The same thing happened to me! I had never received a call from a 614 area code and a few days after my interview my credit card company decided to call me....from Columbus. Ahhhh what are the odds!

Boo. 4/5 for rejections so far. Still waiting on SGU... I didn't really know how unprepared I was for this cycle. There are a lot of thing I need to work on. I was with some of my friends last night who are graduating with me this spring and they were all talking about the exciting places they were going. It sucked to know I'm just going back home...Ah well. Enough of the pity party. There are plenty of things I'm looking forward to about being home, just gotta focus on those!

Also, when do we start contacting schools about file reviews? I'd assume it's after the cycle, so April, May? Do you just email admissions? I'm interested to find out what they think about my app.

Boo. 4/5 for rejections so far. Still waiting on SGU... I didn't really know how unprepared I was for this cycle. There are a lot of thing I need to work on. I was with some of my friends last night who are graduating with me this spring and they were all talking about the exciting places they were going. It sucked to know I'm just going back home...Ah well. Enough of the pity party. There are plenty of things I'm looking forward to about being home, just gotta focus on those!

Also, when do we start contacting schools about file reviews? I'd assume it's after the cycle, so April, May? Do you just email admissions? I'm interested to find out what they think about my app.

Most school that I contacted last year were starting in February or March for file reviews. And read your letters from them. They usually have the contact info in them :)

Last night I was having stress dreams about my upcoming interview at AVC. In the interview invite they sent me they said I had to email them within five days of receiving the invite to confirm that I would be attending. I wanted to make sure I had all my travel plans booked before I confirmed . . . aaaannndddd I wound up forgetting about it until 8pm last night. I'm hoping since it was still technically within five days of receiving the invite, I'll be okay. But I went to bed worrying about it and dreamed that I went to my interview and they told me to get out, that I didn't belong there and I could never come back. And there were people from SDN there too and I was begging them to help me, but no one would and they all said it was my own fault for waiting to reply to the invite email.

Now I'm even more stressed about it. :scared:

Most school that I contacted last year were starting in February or March for file reviews. And read your letters from them. They usually have the contact info in them :)

great thanks :)

BlackDog - Deep breath in. Or alcohol. Or yoga. Or yoga and alcohol. Just chill. Though I totally understand your subconscious trying to freak you out. The night before my interview, I had a continuous stream of dreams where I missed my interview. I'd wake up from one and go back to sleep and right back into another one. They weren't even entertaining ways of missing it either. I'd just like oversleep or get lost or something. I mean really? If I have to miss my interview, I'd at least like a legitimate excuse like I had to tame a group of wild dinosaurs running amok in downtown Charlottetown.

So I did a search of this thread and didn't find exactly this question... Please direct me elsewhere if there is a thread on this already!

Let's say you are in a graduate program and set to defend your thesis in the spring, and you are already accepted at vet school for the fall.

On your acceptance letter, there is a statement saying something like "you must have an indication that your degree was conferred on your final transcript".

What would happen if your defense doesn't go well? Is it possible to still be admitted, seeing as you've completed all the courses, and technically a masters isn't required in general for admission...This would not be a matter of 'starting a master's with no intent to finish". It would be more a matter of not wanting to put life on hold for another year when vet school is your true goal. Anyone with insight, help greatly appreciated!

So I did a search of this thread and didn't find exactly this question... Please direct me elsewhere if there is a thread on this already!

Let's say you are in a graduate program and set to defend your thesis in the spring, and you are already accepted at vet school for the fall.

On your acceptance letter, there is a statement saying something like "you must have an indication that your degree was conferred on your final transcript".

What would happen if your defense doesn't go well? Is it possible to still be admitted, seeing as you've completed all the courses, and technically a masters isn't required in general for admission...This would not be a matter of 'starting a master's with no intent to finish". It would be more a matter of not wanting to put life on hold for another year when vet school is your true goal. Anyone with insight, help greatly appreciated!
Check with the school.

Usually the language is all "required coursework must be completed" or something like that. Defending a thesis is usually not a problem because the masters or PhD is not required for admittance. If it is undergraduate, if there is such a thing, then it would depend on if you are going to a school that requires a bachelors

Check with the school.

Usually the language is all "required coursework must be completed" or something like that. Defending a thesis is usually not a problem because the masters or PhD is not required for admittance. If it is undergraduate, if there is such a thing, then it would depend on if you are going to a school that requires a bachelors

I know that the letter has a statement saying something to the effect of "final transcript must have notation indicating degree has been completed". I would really like to ask but I'm afraid it will reflect badly on me... And, if my defense etc. goes just fine, then it won't be an issue.

Just so nervous about this. Is there a way I can ask that is sort of anonymous? I don't want them to think there is a danger of me not passing but I just have some doubts- and obviously in science you can't always predict the outcome of experiments. thanks a lot for the reply... Trying to stay positive!!

I know that the letter has a statement saying something to the effect of "final transcript must have notation indicating degree has been completed". I would really like to ask but I'm afraid it will reflect badly on me... And, if my defense etc. goes just fine, then it won't be an issue.

Just so nervous about this. Is there a way I can ask that is sort of anonymous? I don't want them to think there is a danger of me not passing but I just have some doubts- and obviously in science you can't always predict the outcome of experiments. thanks a lot for the reply... Trying to stay positive!!

You already have your acceptance....
If you ask, they are NOT going to take away your acceptance.

Even if you HAVE to have that degree, better to know than have a rude awakening later. There is absolutely no downside to asking.

Waiting around for a possible phone call from Purdue, Ohio, or Penn is giving me anxiety and heart palpitations! Can't sleep and the more I worry about the fact that my heart is skipping beats, the worse it gets... :(

Really think I messed up my mississippi interview yesterday :(. This is my 2nd year applying and I love mississippi but I feel like every answer I said in the interview they didn't like :( just really upset and disappointed.

Really think I messed up my mississippi interview yesterday :(. This is my 2nd year applying and I love mississippi but I feel like every answer I said in the interview they didn't like :( just really upset and disappointed.

There's no use speculating! You don't know what they were thinking or how they were scoring your answers. Try to stay positive. As long as you were honest and believed in your answers then you did everything you can do. It's not over until it's over. :)

I'm waitlisted at Oregon and still waiting to hear from Tufts and Michigan. Michigan has slowly been sending out acceptances, but it's getting close to the point where they start sending out rejections and I'm downhearted. There's so many people on Oregon's waitlist that I have absolutely no hope. And I feel like Tufts is so amazing and competitive that I cannot see them taking me at all- I still can't figure out why they even gave me an interview.

I've been accepted to St. George's and Edinburgh (5yr) but I'm not sure what I should do if I don't get into anywhere other than St. George's or Edinburgh. Edinburgh is so expensive because it's 5 years (300k). Plus my SO is in the Navy and such a long distance for such a long time would be really difficult. And Grenada's not any better- expensive and far away plus I feel like I'd be looked down upon if I went to St. George and not have as good of a chance getting internships after graduation (I want to be zoo/exotic/wildlife).

I need help!

I'm waitlisted at Oregon and still waiting to hear from Tufts and Michigan. Michigan has slowly been sending out acceptances, but it's getting close to the point where they start sending out rejections and I'm downhearted. There's so many people on Oregon's waitlist that I have absolutely no hope. And I feel like Tufts is so amazing and competitive that I cannot see them taking me at all- I still can't figure out why they even gave me an interview.

I've been accepted to St. George's and Edinburgh (5yr) but I'm not sure what I should do if I don't get into anywhere other than St. George's or Edinburgh. Edinburgh is so expensive because it's 5 years (300k). Plus my SO is in the Navy and such a long distance for such a long time would be really difficult. And Grenada's not any better- expensive and far away plus I feel like I'd be looked down upon if I went to St. George and not have as good of a chance getting internships after graduation (I want to be zoo/exotic/wildlife).

I need help!

It's definitely up to you, but I think if I were in your shoes I would apply again if you don't end up getting in. I'm a big proponent of going as inexpensively as possible if you can. If you got interviews this year, it's not too unlikely that you could get accepted next year by applying smart/making improvements to your app.

Hasn't someone said before that schools might ask why you turned down an acceptance before though? Why someone would apply to those schools if they don't actually want to go there?

Not saying you should go to a place you would be unhappy at, but just wanted to mention that.

Hasn't someone said before that schools might ask why you turned down an acceptance before though? Why someone would apply to those schools if they don't actually want to go there?

Not saying you should go to a place you would be unhappy at, but just wanted to mention that.

It is something that might come up. Just hang tight, christiansenle! maybe things will work out :xf:

I don't think they have any way of knowing that. I just looked back at the VMCAS because I couldn't remember if they asked you if you had ever been admitted to a veterinary medicine program before and I don't see it on there. I don't remember it being on any supplemental applications either. Even if for some reason it came up in an interview or something, I don't see anything wrong with saying upon further evaluation, I realized that it was not financially responsible for me to attend vet school outside of the US. Or something a long those lines. Not really any different than if you went and interviewed a whole bunch of places realized you wouldn't want to attend one of them and then turned down that acceptance when it was the only one you got.

I don't think they have any way of knowing that. I just looked back at the VMCAS because I couldn't remember if they asked you if you had ever been admitted to a veterinary medicine program before and I don't see it on there. I don't remember it being on any supplemental applications either. Even if for some reason it came up in an interview or something, I don't see anything wrong with saying upon further evaluation, I realized that it was not financially responsible for me to attend vet school outside of the US. Or something a long those lines. Not really any different than if you went and interviewed a whole bunch of places realized you wouldn't want to attend one of them and then turned down that acceptance when it was the only one you got.

This is really all you have to say. When I interviewed at WCVM in Canada, it was after my K-State acceptance, and they had asked me what my plan was if I wasn't admitted to WCVM. I said that I would would take the year to expand my experiences, learn more about veterinary medicine and improve my application as it isn't financially responsible for me to attend school outside of Canada (tuition is $10k here). They seemed to like the answer. I was waitlisted, but didn't make it off and still turned down my K-State acceptance (which was my only one). You have to think further down road and set yourself up as best as you can when you graduate and enter the job market/internship/residency world. Even if that means paying a price now to save yourself later on.

Also, I believe it will say on VMCAS that you applied the previous year, but unless you're re-applying to a school that you got accepted to and then later turned down, there is absolutely no worry. :) :thumbup: