The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you Abney. I have been super polite with them. I just don't want to stress out about it all weekend. What if I only send them Monday and the mail truck gets swept by tsunami or attacked by dinosaurs? Those aren't the real 'what ifs' that are playing in my mind but I am terrified that something will go wrong. Like what if the PEI bridge closes for a day or two due to highwinds or protesters block the bridge? I'm going to go count to ten and breath.

Thank you again for your support.

It'll be ok. Mon-thurs is a lot of time for overnight. And keep in touch with the vet school too. Breathe. Everything will be alright :)

Members don't see this ad.

I really wouldn't stress about it. I'm pretty sure my transcript got to AVC a week or two after the deadline. They wanted Fall transcripts from International students by January 1st, but grades didn't come out until December 23rd and then the registrar's office promptly shut down until after New Year's. :rolleyes:

I really think they're more lenient with Fall transcript deadlines because they know stuff like this happens. If you're really concerned about it, you could call AVC and let them know what happened and that your transcript will be there asap. I'm sure they'll understand.

It's all good. I spoke with jack and they just need my hard copy to be able to send an interview invite. Not to say I'll be getting one but in the event they need to.

They can rank me amongst the applicants with what they have. Thank you everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I had my Mississippi State interview on 2/6. It was my second time interviewing there (I was waitlisted last year) I thought the interview went really well. I was a lot more confident this year, and I made a bunch of improvements to my app, and I finished my Master's program with a strong GPA. Apparently some calls went out but I haven't gotten one yet, and I'm not sure if they are finished making calls. I am just so worried that despite my efforts to make the necessary improvements, I will be waitlisted again, or even rejected. This is the worst feeling ever. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I was in this situation like all of last cycle. I was flat out rejected from a school I interviewed at and was wait listed. I was also rejected post interview from a school I had missed getting into by two spots. Feel free to PM if you need someone to talk to. I know it really sucks, but you have to keep in mind that each application cycle is different and isn't necessarily determined by preset stats.

I have a bit of a worry- I've heard it's not a big deal but I'd feel better knowing someone else who has been in my situation has gotten through it fine.

I have very little hands-on clinical experience. I've done a ton of animal-handling for research animals (mice and poultry) but I haven't drawn blood in a cat or dog, nor have I done a lot of the very basic clinical procedures (although I have watched some during my time observing/helping out in a small animal clinic). I've handled shelter animals, many large dogs with minimal training, so I'm not totally inept. And of course, basic pet care.

But as far as specific types of restraint, taking vital signs etc, I have never done these! I was accepted to vet school with a much stronger research background than clinical. It isn't that I didn't want to do those basic things, I just haven't had the opportunity, as I am somewhat of a latecomer to vet med. I have been in contact with some vet offices and asked whether I could get a little extra exposure this summer before I leave, but I sometimes worry when I read all the things other incoming students have done that I have never had the chance to learn.

Anyone else start vet school without having done a lot of this stuff? Was it easy enough to catch up?

I have a bit of a worry- I've heard it's not a big deal but I'd feel better knowing someone else who has been in my situation has gotten through it fine.

I have very little hands-on clinical experience. I've done a ton of animal-handling for research animals (mice and poultry) but I haven't drawn blood in a cat or dog, nor have I done a lot of the very basic clinical procedures (although I have watched some during my time observing/helping out in a small animal clinic). I've handled shelter animals, many large dogs with minimal training, so I'm not totally inept. And of course, basic pet care.

But as far as specific types of restraint, taking vital signs etc, I have never done these! I was accepted to vet school with a much stronger research background than clinical. It isn't that I didn't want to do those basic things, I just haven't had the opportunity, as I am somewhat of a latecomer to vet med. I have been in contact with some vet offices and asked whether I could get a little extra exposure this summer before I leave, but I sometimes worry when I read all the things other incoming students have done that I have never had the chance to learn.

Anyone else start vet school without having done a lot of this stuff? Was it easy enough to catch up?

I'm going through something similar in that I had virtually zero experience handling large animals when I applied. I just started shadowing an LA vet so that I could pick up some basic know-how before fall rolls around. Nonetheless, I don't think you are at a serious disadvantage to your classmates... A vet at my clinic who graduated in the spring said that virtually none of her classmates knew how to draw blood when they started vet school. I don't know if this is unusual elsewhere, but she said it was not a big deal: they'll teach you. Besides, I wonder if schools want to re-reach the basics, such as taking vitals and restraint techniques, even to those students who have a more extensive background, just to ensure that everyone is on the same page/using the appropriate techniques.

If you have the time and means to get some basic experience in the areas you feel you need it,, I certainly wouldn't discourage you from doing so! All I'm saying is that I don't think you need to worry too much :)

Don't worry, there are plenty of people in my class who have only shadowed vets and never worked in a clinic-small or large animal. No judgement, just an observation, but some have never clipped toenails or cleaned ears on a dog. I've noticed that even the super work experienced have either LA or SA, very few have experience and skills in both coming in. At least at VMRCVM they teach you like you have no idea what to do and do have specifics on how they want you to do things (like weird IV catheter taping techniques). It's no big deal, you're in vet school to learn and your more experienced classmates are always there to help:)

DUDES. Have you seen "Waitlist Kitteh" in pre-allo???!!!! :thumbup::laugh:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=818375

Just read that whole thread! Loved it! :laugh:

I think you should be fine. If they accepted you, then they believe you are capable of successfully completing vet school! Personally, most of my hours were with horses, and I have drawn blood on horses. However, I've only watched blood draws on dog/cats and never done it myself so you are not alone. I think simple things like that will be easy to teach us but it would be harder to teach someone with no study skills/motivation to learn the material so I think we'll be okay.

Thanks for all of your replies.. It seems more common than I previously thought. I'm eager to learn- it sounds like most programs will make sure you get taught the basics so that everyone is caught up. In the meantime I have a few leads for potential experience in the next few months, so I'm starting to feel better about it.

Bumping this. Tis the season!

Reactions: 2 users
Hadn't seen this thread before! Definitely just what I need... I'm going mental refreshing emails and stuff, even though I absolutely know I won't be getting any information any time soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hadn't seen this thread before! Definitely just what I need... I'm going mental refreshing emails and stuff, even though I absolutely know I won't be getting any information any time soon!

Definitely find something unrelated to distract you. Book series, tv shows, something to keep you from obsessing every free minute that you have. Trust me, you will be much better off for it.

I've been knitting up a storm and definitely have seen a decrease in the amount of compulsive internet time (yet here I am still :rolleyes: haha).

At least I'll have something tangible (and warm!) to show for my anxiety!

I've been knitting up a storm and definitely have seen a decrease in the amount of compulsive internet time (yet here I am still :rolleyes: haha).

At least I'll have something tangible (and warm!) to show for my anxiety!
You too? Haha I have a project going in every room of the house... And just started a new one yesterday! :p Knitting definitely keeps my hands off of electronic devices, albeit temporarily, and for that I am grateful!

Man, I really need some sort of tangible project to work on, too. I've been going to dance most nights, but I'm at my computer for most of the day working on job applications and editing my thesis, so I just automatically click over to SDN and my email all the time. About 97% of my posts have been made in the time since I've submitted my VMCAS.. I think I have no self control. :p

I should hear back from Western this week. It's my top choice school (I like their program, and it's close to home), and I'm really worried about getting bad news :(

I should hear back from Western this week. It's my top choice school (I like their program, and it's close to home), and I'm really worried about getting bad news :(
I'm also an anxious applicant, but..."Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it gets you nowhere." - Glenn Turner And if you're spiritually inclined, I also recently heard someone say something along the lines of, "Worry is a prayer for what you don't want".

Go out for a long walk/hike, start a new hobby, plan a dinner party... Find something to do that gets your mind off of it or you'll go nuts. And age quicker :p

Reactions: 1 users
Im really rooting for you comfy cat! It would be great to go to western! Its my number one too! I hope you get an interview!

I'm rootin' for you too! (Forgot to add that lol)

I was looking at some old posts and I realized that we're already in December! Time flew, huh? In just a month I'll know if I got into my top choice :eek:

Reactions: 1 user
Man, I really need some sort of tangible project to work on, too. I've been going to dance most nights, but I'm at my computer for most of the day working on job applications and editing my thesis, so I just automatically click over to SDN and my email all the time. About 97% of my posts have been made in the time since I've submitted my VMCAS.. I think I have no self control. :p
lol I know what you mean, because it doesn't help that the only thing I have to distract me from SDN is a test on friday and a paper to write... bleh

Im really rooting for you comfy cat! It would be great to go to western! Its my number one too! I hope you get an interview!

Thanks!! I ended up getting an invite today! Hopefully we'll be classmates next year :)

I'm rootin' for you too! (Forgot to add that lol)

I was looking at some old posts and I realized that we're already in December! Time flew, huh? In just a month I'll know if I got into my top choice :eek:

Thanks! Everyone is so supportive around here :) Time definitely flew. I can't believe the quarter is almost over!

you know I gotta say, I love that we have gotten invites, but I really wish these schools gave us more notice (more than 4-5 days lol). good thing some of you guys are close by to your school interviews! I love iowa for being so accommodating and offering me an option to skype cause they gave such short notice, but I don't know how many other schools would be so accommodating.... wish there was like a mandatory two week notice or something lol

Credit Card - I am truly happy you have some great deals and incentives, but why do you torture me so!?! Unsubscribe.

In the last week, between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, I unsubscribed from a lot of emails. Unless you're offering me a deal on vet school admission, go away.

Reactions: 5 users
Ugh so upset this semester is not ending well. My gpa is going to drop and if I don't get into vet school this year my application is not going to have improved for next year. Need to stop worrying and focus on now but I can't :(

It has been over a month since missouri sent out interview invites and rejection letters, and I still have received nothing :annoyed:
Kathy said my app was in their 'waiting to be reviewed again' pile for a possible interview if people decline their invite. Said I would hear something by mid-december, if not sooner. Well guess what, that's next week so I'm guessing they're going to wait until the last second, as usual. :bang:

So I'm trying to get into UTK for the third time, and am kind of freaking out. interview invites are to be sent out in the next couple of weeks, and then a packet review... And they changed admissions completely from the past two years. I've at least gotten an interview the past two times.
But the packet review... I've got so many clubs that I was in in undergrad, and vet experience at two of the top equine hospitals in the world, and research experience, and a not too bad GPA and small animal clinical experience and horse and dog rescue experience and...
I also moved to Knoxville to be closer to the school, and to meet professors and take classes to raise my GPA (in a master's program as a non-degree seeking student). I should be getting a 4.0 this semester (did awesome at that epidemiology final apparently...)
Now I'm just worried that i didn't network enough this semester with all the professors. I can't handle this waiting anymore. Three years of the constant stress of "I have no idea what's happening in my life!"
Anyone else in the same situation? Just so worried and tired of waiting?

Don't worry @kathryno, it sounds like you've been working hard to improve your app further, and if you got interviews twice already, third time is definitely the charm! And yeah, definitely in the same situation. It's only my first cycle of applying, but I passed up applying twice to try to strengthen my app by doing a masters. I've finally applied, and I thought I was handling the waiting fine (which I was, up until about last week) but now that the schools I care about are sending out notifications and I haven't heard, I'm officially going insane. So glad to have SDN to rant about this with fellow applicants though! My roommates are certainly sick of hearing me talk about vet school haha.

Three years of the constant stress of "I have no idea what's happening in my life!"

I have had no idea what was happening in my life for the last 30 years. It's starting to bother me now.

Reactions: 3 users
So I'm trying to get into UTK for the third time, and am kind of freaking out. interview invites are to be sent out in the next couple of weeks, and then a packet review... And they changed admissions completely from the past two years. I've at least gotten an interview the past two times.
But the packet review... I've got so many clubs that I was in in undergrad, and vet experience at two of the top equine hospitals in the world, and research experience, and a not too bad GPA and small animal clinical experience and horse and dog rescue experience and...
I also moved to Knoxville to be closer to the school, and to meet professors and take classes to raise my GPA (in a master's program as a non-degree seeking student). I should be getting a 4.0 this semester (did awesome at that epidemiology final apparently...)
Now I'm just worried that i didn't network enough this semester with all the professors. I can't handle this waiting anymore. Three years of the constant stress of "I have no idea what's happening in my life!"
Anyone else in the same situation? Just so worried and tired of waiting?

You'll be fine it took me three times it will all workout in the end.

Haha I guess you're never supposed to know what's going on in your life. Thanks for all the support, guys! I know it takes lots of tries for some people. It's just that time of the year again. :)

So, I'm still waiting to hear back from 5 schools. But after 5 rejections and only getting on the alternates list for Western, it definitely feels like I'd better start planning on improving my application for next cycle rather than getting my hopes up for this one.

So, I'm still waiting to hear back from 5 schools. But after 5 rejections and only getting on the alternates list for Western, it definitely feels like I'd better start planning on improving my application for next cycle rather than getting my hopes up for this one.

Five schools is a lot to be waiting on! Not that you shouldn't have a Plan B, but try not to get too discouraged. :)

So I got a C in biochemistry this semester. The lowest grade I've gotten before is a B-. I'm not worried if I get into vet school this semester since a C is passable, but if I don't get in and they see my grade next semester they might not even give me an interview. :/

So I got a C in biochemistry this semester. The lowest grade I've gotten before is a B-. I'm not worried if I get into vet school this semester since a C is passable, but if I don't get in and they see my grade next semester they might not even give me an interview. :/

If the other aspects of your application are strong, one C will not be a death sentence. I had a C in Organic and still received interviews/acceptances. I even withdrew from Gen Chem cause I was failing during my first semester. No one ever brought it up in an interview.