The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Washington sent out interview invites yesterday and I definitely didn't get one :( Feeling pretty discouraged right now as I am instate for the Utah program so I have the best odds there. It's also my number one.

But... I've heard there's a second wave of interview invites and the Utah program thing may do things a bit differently... so I'm still holding out hope that I'm not completely out of the running :xf:

I am in the same boat with Ohio State. It's my IS (and #1 choice) and they've already sent out a ton of interviews. We just have to remain positive :thumbup::xf: (I know this is easier said than done... I struggle with it everyday) Best of luck!:luck: We are all here to support you!

Members don't see this ad.

I got the email that they had all my stuff and no rejection email...but I'm honestly expecting one, so I just figure I'll be one of the ones they get to in March or something. :rolleyes: Gosh Penn is annoying with their 'you'll find out sometime between December and April.'

OR, taking the optimistic outlook, if you don't hear soon (as you state) maybe it's because you have been passing all of the beginning waves of applications! (I'm wondering if that first wave of rejection, as they mentioned in their e-mail they would let those rejected immediately know ASAP, will continue into next week?) :xf:

I am in the same boat with Ohio State. It's my IS (and #1 choice) and they've already sent out a ton of interviews. We just have to remain positive :thumbup::xf: (I know this is easier said than done... I struggle with it everyday) Best of luck!:luck: We are all here to support you!

I'm right there with you! I'm struggling with staying positive seeing people getting not only interview invites but acceptances from Ohio State as well and not having heard even anything about an interview myself :scared: I'm happy for those people, but I'm getting frustrated with the waiting! I hope we all hear something soon...good luck everyone :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
i absolutely cannot handle this waiting. i am on the verge of a complete breakdown. HOW IS EVERYONE DEALING WITH THIS?!!

eh, i mean, what can you really do about anything now?
no point stressing about anything, doesn't accomplish anything, doesn't change anything. everything will happen at some point--just enjoy your holidays and semester break if you're still taking classes.

eh, i mean, what can you really do about anything now?
no point stressing about anything, doesn't accomplish anything, doesn't change anything. everything will happen at some point--just enjoy your holidays and semester break if you're still taking classes.

Agreed. I don't know though, I'm pretty relaxed about the whole thing. Maybe I wouldn't be if I didn't have interview invites already, but I'm just kind of going with the flow. You can't change anything about anything at this point, so why stress over it? Yes, I will check/have checked my email way more frequently when I know any info is coming my way, but otherwise I'm just trying to enjoy(haha) the process. I'll have plenty of time to stress WHEN I'm actually in vet school.

OR, taking the optimistic outlook, if you don't hear soon (as you state) maybe it's because you have been passing all of the beginning waves of applications! (I'm wondering if that first wave of rejection, as they mentioned in their e-mail they would let those rejected immediately know ASAP, will continue into next week?) :xf:

Oh God, I hope not:eek:

ha we would be such good friends. I have a similar plan in mind :D

Love it..i just got a massage today..and the therapist said...."WOW" you are tense! No **** thanks to ADCOMM!:laugh:

Love it..i just got a massage today..and the therapist said...."WOW" you are tense! No **** thanks to ADCOMM!:laugh:

Haha! dumb question... What is adcomm?

All I want for Christmas is an interview.

I propose a song writing contest.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I took my suit to a tailor last week to get the sleeves and pant cuffs shortened. They couldn't shorten the sleeves for some reason, and there isn't anywhere in town that I know of that does more advanced tailoring. So now my jacket has sleeves two inches too long, it's too late now to find another place today, even if I knew of a place that could do the alteration by tomorrow (since I must be wearing the suit by 8 am Friday).

To top this all off, they didn't sew the lining of the pants back to the main fabric! It's just hanging there! That's not as much of an issue, since you can't see it when I'm wearing the pants, but still!

Ugh, I don't know what to do. I can't shorten the sleeves myself, I'm not a good enough seamstress for that. My mom is going to try to figure out how to video chat so that she can try to help me figure out a way to tack the sleaves back somehow, but I'm feeling really pessemistic.

I wouldn't feel so nervous except Davis has a paragraph in their "interview information" section titled "Business Attire" that says "To be less than well dressed and well groomed may convey an apathetic attitude."

So...anyone have advice on how to shorten the sleeves of a suit jacket?

:xf:

Where did you apply?

I applied to 12 schools...all I need is one!

That really stinks washbucket, I hope you find a way to fix them. Are they sleeves which you could fold under and possible tack along the inside? That way you would have clean edges but no new seams showing...

I applied to 12 schools...all I need is one!

That really stinks washbucket, I hope you find a way to fix them. Are they sleeves which you could fold under and possible tack along the inside? That way you would have clean edges but no new seams showing...

This might be helpful if you are feeling gutsy :) I bet you could follow the same process

http://www.sew-much-ado.com/2011/06/tutorial-how-to-hem-jeans-and-keep.html

I'd try something like in the link (thanks for that, btw! I think I'm going to try that with a pair of jeans I have), but the sleeves don't have simple hems :(. They have a slit up the side of the sleeve with a button.

My mom and sister also suggested the 'fold the sleeves under,' so I'm going to take off the buttons, fold the sleeves under, tack the folded-under bit to the lining of the sleeve, lightly press the new edge, and then use masking tape to cover the original edge inside the sleeve so that it doesn't scrunch up inside the sleeve. It'll be work, but we planned it out and I think it will work!

(Still kinda freaking out, but ah well)

All I want for Christmas is an interview.

I propose a song writing contest.

What I want the most is for Cornell to accept me the first week of January, but that would be more like a Christmas miracle than a Christmas present:luck:

I haven't had any interview offers yet either and every time I check my email I want to throw up. I keep trying to stay positive bc I haven't gotten any rejections yet, but it is tough. I'm so happy for everyone who had interview offers from Penn, but sad I was not one of them :(

Did someone say song contest????? Ummm my favorite!

What I want the most is for Cornell to accept me the first week of January, but that would be more like a Christmas miracle than a Christmas present:luck:

I haven't had any interview offers yet either and every time I check my email I want to throw up. I keep trying to stay positive bc I haven't gotten any rejections yet, but it is tough. I'm so happy for everyone who had interview offers from Penn, but sad I was not one of them :(

Did someone say song contest????? Ummm my favorite!

Ukrainian Christmas starts Jan 6th, just pretend you're celebrating that and it can be a present. :D

I would just like to thank everyone for their input about my immunology class last month. I really appreciate it.

However, I chose not to take anyone's advice, because I was determined to demonstrate that I could carry 18 credit hours of upper level science courses successfully. I ended up with a B- in the class! And I think that i kept A's in the rest of my 15 credits (though one may end up being a B+).

Just had to take a minute to brag. This has been a long, hard road for me (which I know many of you are familiar with yourselves), and I am really proud at the moment :) Now back to waiting for my rejections from IL and Purdue...

I would just like to thank everyone for their input about my immunology class last month. I really appreciate it.

However, I chose not to take anyone's advice, because I was determined to demonstrate that I could carry 18 credit hours of upper level science courses successfully. I ended up with a B- in the class! And I think that i kept A's in the rest of my 15 credits (though one may end up being a B+).

Just had to take a minute to brag. This has been a long, hard road for me (which I know many of you are familiar with yourselves), and I am really proud at the moment :) Now back to waiting for my rejections from IL and Purdue...

Congrats! Isn't it awesome to prove people wrong when you can do more than they thought you could? :thumbup:

Congrats! :luck:

Ukrainian Christmas starts Jan 6th, just pretend you're celebrating that and it can be a present. :D

If I am accepted to Cornell, I pledge to celebrate Ukrainian Christmas every year of my life in honor of that amazing stroke of luck. :D

My heart feels like it is breaking right now. Ugh. I just want to hear from Mizzou already. The regular SDN people have gotten in, and I am so pumped and excited for them. But my heart hurts that I haven't heard yet :(

My heart feels like it is breaking right now. Ugh. I just want to hear from Mizzou already. The regular SDN people have gotten in, and I am so pumped and excited for them. But my heart hurts that I haven't heard yet :(

Hang in there! You will hear! I am keeping my fingers crossed for good news for you! :xf:

Thanks guys. I'm trying to stay confident. I felt super good after my interview, but not hearing yet has really screwed with my head.

Thanks guys. I'm trying to stay confident. I felt super good after my interview, but not hearing yet has really screwed with my head.

But remember that even if you don't hear back at the beginning of next week it doesn't mean much! There's still plenty of time to hear so don't fret yet. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I can't wait for this cycle to be over. First week of school and I've done nothing but stalk my status pages and SDN obsessively! I want to get in so bad. My worst fear (maybe even worse than not getting in...) is that I will get waitlisted everywhere and be like this for the next seven months.

I thought I have a third go in me, but I'm not sure anymore. The expense and energetic cost is so great.

Please, please Mizzou, look past my 3.4 and see me. See me who has done all this on top of working full time and therefore doesn't have 10,000 observation hours in every category. See me who thought about vet med in every moment of my life for the past 6 years. See me who has given up my life savings and any grown-up comforts to pursue this dream, who is willing to be in the same place in life at 28 as I was at 18, because I want this so bad. See me who has been successful and trusted in every job I have ever had, every clinic I've volunteered in, every organization I've been part of. See me who has pushed through every challenge I've been thrown to keep going. I can not only do this, I will be great.

Right there with you. I just keep thinking of all the ways I messed up in my interview, all the reasons they wouldn't accept me...

Plus I'm about to go on a whirlwind tour of interviews and missing classes, which is stressful for both of those things.

I can't wait for this cycle to be over. First week of school and I've done nothing but stalk my status pages and SDN obsessively! I want to get in so bad. My worst fear (maybe even worse than not getting in...) is that I will get waitlisted everywhere and be like this for the next seven months.

I thought I have a third go in me, but I'm not sure anymore. The expense and energetic cost is so great.

Please, please Mizzou, look past my 3.4 and see me. See me who has done all this on top of working full time and therefore doesn't have 10,000 observation hours in every category. See me who thought about vet med in every moment of my life for the past 6 years. See me who has given up my life savings and any grown-up comforts to pursue this dream, who is willing to be in the same place in life at 28 as I was at 18, because I want this so bad. See me who has been successful and trusted in every job I have ever had, every clinic I've volunteered in, every organization I've been part of. See me who has pushed through every challenge I've been thrown to keep going. I can not only do this, I will be great.

I totally agree with you!

This IS my 3rd round....I'm not sure if I (or my family) can handle the expense again.

I am right there with you on your last point. Although a few of my details are a bit different, the sentiment is the same. And age is not on my side (I'm 39 YO).

I DO have an interview at Mississippi coming up and I plan to rock it. Keep your chin up! :D

I totally agree with you!

This IS my 3rd round....I'm not sure if I (or my family) can handle the expense again.

I am right there with you on your last point. Although a few of my details are a bit different, the sentiment is the same. And age is not on my side (I'm 39 YO).

I DO have an interview at Mississippi coming up and I plan to rock it. Keep your chin up! :D

Thank you so much for the encouragement. Its really nice to have people to vent to who know the pressure.

Best of luck at Mississippi, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Thank you so much for the encouragement. Its really nice to have people to vent to who know the pressure.

Best of luck at Mississippi, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

You are most certainly welcome!:laugh: I think that is one of the best things about SDN.....the support/friends you find.

Thank you! I will be putting my best foot forward...:D

Some days I just feel overwhelmed with worry that all of the schools I want to go to will reject me. Especially my IS, Georgia. I'm a 3rd time applicant having a monthly meltdown.

I needed some advice, support. I have had a few interviews, and now I'm preparing for Westerns interview. In the midst of all this, I work part time as a technician and I'm taking my two final Ochem\Bio chem classes.

It's my first time applying, and I'm afraid my grades are going to get affected by the application process. If I don't get in, it's gonna look horrible that I didn't get an A or B in Ochem\Biochem, but it's not my fault. I feel the process of interviewing, traveling, has made it impossible to just study. So much is riding on getting in the first time, or else I have to explain next year that I did poorly on my last two classes because of the interview, application process interfering with my scheduling...I don't think that sounds good.

Any advice?

Some days I just feel overwhelmed with worry that all of the schools I want to go to will reject me. Especially my IS, Georgia. I'm a 3rd time applicant having a monthly meltdown.

It's amazing how much the application process takes a toll on you, and you never even realize how much until it's over. I felt like I lost 40 lbs the day I got an acceptance. The weight of anxiety you carry around is insane. Hoping good things for you! :luck: :xf:

I needed some advice, support. I have had a few interviews, and now I'm preparing for Westerns interview. In the midst of all this, I work part time as a technician and I'm taking my two final Ochem\Bio chem classes.

It's my first time applying, and I'm afraid my grades are going to get affected by the application process. If I don't get in, it's gonna look horrible that I didn't get an A or B in Ochem\Biochem, but it's not my fault. I feel the process of interviewing, traveling, has made it impossible to just study. So much is riding on getting in the first time, or else I have to explain next year that I did poorly on my last two classes because of the interview, application process interfering with my scheduling...I don't think that sounds good.

Any advice?

I completely understand how you feel. I worked 50-60 hour weeks as a biochemist, took 3 classes for vet school, volunteered 20 hours/week at a spay and neuter clinic, and applied to 12 vet schools all at the same time. Believe me when I say I know how mentally exhausting and physically draining it is. But the part I bolded above I'm gonna need you to kick from your vocab. Was it my fault that I barely slept, managed to fail the first test of my life, messed up at work from exhaustion, got less than stellar grades in my classes? Yes, yes it was. It was no one else's. I understand what you mean, and I totally get it, but you have to take the situation you are given, do your best and say "I tried my hardest". Your "best" will change with circumstances, and in that 6 months, I did the best I could with my situation. Keep yourself motivated with encouraging thoughts, bc as soon as you pull the "its not fair, it's not my fault card" (which we all do), you lose your motivation and make plans to blame circumstances forever.
I lost 3 grandparents in 2 months this past semester, but I did the best I could with my situation. I couldn't blame my grandparents passing away for failing exams, so I chose not to, and rocked them out instead. :horns:
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to help you shift your thinking to better yourself. :luck:

It's amazing how much the application process takes a toll on you, and you never even realize how much until it's over. I felt like I lost 40 lbs the day I got an acceptance. The weight of anxiety you carry around is insane. Hoping good things for you! :luck: :xf:

I completely understand how you feel. I worked 50-60 hour weeks as a biochemist, took 3 classes for vet school, volunteered 20 hours/week at a spay and neuter clinic, and applied to 12 vet schools all at the same time. Believe me when I say I know how mentally exhausting and physically draining it is. But the part I bolded above I'm gonna need you to kick from your vocab. Was it my fault that I barely slept, managed to fail the first test of my life, messed up at work from exhaustion, got less than stellar grades in my classes? Yes, yes it was. It was no one else's. I understand what you mean, and I totally get it, but you have to take the situation you are given, do your best and say "I tried my hardest". Your "best" will change with circumstances, and in that 6 months, I did the best I could with my situation. Keep yourself motivated with encouraging thoughts, bc as soon as you pull the "its not fair, it's not my fault card" (which we all do), you lose your motivation and make plans to blame circumstances forever.
I lost 3 grandparents in 2 months this past semester, but I did the best I could with my situation. I couldn't blame my grandparents passing away for failing exams, so I chose not to, and rocked them out instead. :horns:
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to help you shift your thinking to better yourself. :luck:

Appreciate the advice :D

I just got rejected from my in-state after my interview. I still have Mizzou, Ohio, and Tennessee left, but I'm really worried that I won't get in to any of them either. I felt that my interview at Mizzou went worst then the Penn one. Then, I didn't get my invite to Ohio until way later than everyone else did. So, I'm worried that I'll have to have the best interview ever to get accepted. :(

Any advice?

I feel the struggle too. I'm taking a pretty difficult course load and working in a research lab. Trying to stay motivated and do my best but I feel like my GPA is probably going to take a hit, and I'm worried what will happen if I don't get accepted this cycle.

Em is right though, we've all made our choices. Just gotta try your best and not give up! I know that's easier said than done, but the light at the end of the tunnel will come soon enough!

I just got rejected from my in-state after my interview. I still have Mizzou, Ohio, and Tennessee left, but I'm really worried that I won't get in to any of them either. I felt that my interview at Mizzou went worst then the Penn one. Then, I didn't get my invite to Ohio until way later than everyone else did. So, I'm worried that I'll have to have the best interview ever to get accepted. :(

I'm sorry to hear your bad news. As hard as it sounds, try to stay upbeat about the schools you are still in the running for (and yes, I'm trying really hard to take the same advice too:))

As cliche as it sounds, just do the best you can for your Ohio State interview and be yourself. I think sometimes when we put so much pressure on ourselves to do well it causes us to not do our best.

I'll cross my fingers for you and hope you get a happy acceptance letter/phone call soon!

3rd timer here too. Not too sure what Auburn (my IS) will do either. I just keep repeating, "it only takes one." I really just try not to think about it too much at all. :scared: