This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not going to keep liking this every time you say it! :rage:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also I don't know when Yikes'ing became a thing for me but it just feels so right and is sometimes the only adequate way to express my feelings on a subject.
And I still read it in Frank Ocean's voice every time :laugh:

There's a disheartening lack of spiders and/or insect pictures in this thread. I am disappoint.

GO CATCH BUGS AND TAKE PICTURES OF THEM TO MAKE ME HAPPY GAIS

A pink Culex spp. mosquito (it went through a gravid trap so it's missing a lot of parts, if you can't tell)

Why is it pink? No one really knows. A few came through the lab last summer and all we could figure is that maybe it had been feeding on artificial nectar like the pink/red kind you put out for hummingbirds.

Pink Culex.jpg

Aedes dorsalis, Salt Marsh Mosquito - it's large and covered in white scales

S20160909_0017.jpg

Orthopodomyia signifera - pretty little mosquito with cool white markings on its back

S20160930_0008.jpg

Anopheles punctipennis

S20160909_0012.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
you said pretty and mosquito in the same sentence. I like basically everything else, but mosquitoes are the line for me.
Agreed. Mosquitos should never be anywhere near the words good, like, any positive word in any language ever written or hieroglyphiced.

Reactions: 6 users
Agreed. Mosquitos should never be anywhere near the words good, like, any positive word in any language ever written or hieroglyphiced.

Skeeter haters.

Some mosquitoes are horrible creatures that cause a great deal of suffering, but most species don't vector diseases and don't bother humans. Some don't even consume blood, like this little beauty.

S20160909_0022.jpg S20160909_0025.jpg

The Elephant Mosquito (Toxorhynchites rutilus) - it eats plant nectar and its larvae are predatory and eat the larvae of other mosquitoes that do vector diseases.... and it's totes gorgeous under the scope - dark metallic blue and purplish scales and lots of large golden scales

Skeeter haters.

Some mosquitoes are horrible creatures that cause a great deal of suffering, but most species don't vector diseases and don't bother humans. Some don't even consume blood, like this little beauty.

View attachment 214603 View attachment 214604

The Elephant Mosquito (Toxorhynchites rutilus) - it eats plant nectar and its larvae are predatory and eat the larvae of other mosquitoes that do vector diseases.... and it's totes gorgeous under the scope - dark metallic blue and purplish scales and lots of large golden scales
Needs to be recategorized then, and it can live in happy words and praise.

Members don't see this ad :)
MOSQUITOS ARE CUTE. They have plumous antennae! Have you all ever seen plumous antennae?!

Attachments

• IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 74
Also, a lot of people mistake the harmless crane fly as "giant mosquitos" when there really is no such thing, so leave the poor crane flies alone :rolleyes:

I may have shared this in the drunk already but it seems more appropriate here

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: 4 users
Dude, we have our own bugs. If you're gonna come here you should embrace our bugs. You think your bugs are better? So rude.
Well it's only cold for like 2 months out of the whole year here so they're out more often so yes..

Here's that collection I promised, before and after presentation...it wasn't very flashy, but I was proud of my pretty labels and using the leftover small bugs as decor :p

Photo0361.jpg
Photo0362.jpg

Also, I'd never heard of a tarantula hawk before, but I was in Louisiana and we had cicada hawks, which I was also totally unfamiliar with. They look pretty terrifying, but don't really mess with humans. Unfortunately didn't manage to grab one for my collection, since I never carried my net.

Here's that collection I promised, before and after presentation...it wasn't very flashy, but I was proud of my pretty labels and using the leftover small bugs as decor :p

View attachment 214619 View attachment 214620

Also, I'd never heard of a tarantula hawk before, but I was in Louisiana and we had cicada hawks, which I was also totally unfamiliar with. They look pretty terrifying, but don't really mess with humans. Unfortunately didn't manage to grab one for my collection, since I never carried my net.
Do I spy a brown marmonated stink bug?! I really don't like them (and I actually do like bugs).

View attachment 214619 View attachment 214620

Rather impressive collection! Just looked up cicada hawks and they look awesome! I wanted a velvet ant female (the wasp, not the lame tree ants lol) but the only time I Saab one I didn't have my jars with me lol. I like the way your collection is organized by order! We had to line them up all straight and nice by order but without the labels, and i was too lazy to change it up after. Also terrified of destroying my insects, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 74
I also didn't catch a single phasmid during class, but during a summer herp collection trip I found two!

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 81
I also didn't catch a single phasmid during class, but during a summer herp collection trip I found two!

That's just how it works. I can't tell you how many times I've been walking somewhere and found a representative for an order I didn't get points for in my initial collection. I still angrily mutter "six points" under my breath.

I took my general entomology in the autumn quarter in Ohio so there was a very narrow window to collect before the weather changed and I had a busted up arm so I stayed near campus and caught whatever I could find in the ag school's plot fields. I murdered a lot of pollinators that quarter.

Do I spy a brown marmonated stink bug?! I really don't like them (and I actually do like bugs).
Probably--I don't remember what all was in my collection though, since it was so long ago now (fall of 2011...woah :oldman:). I actually still have all these pinned bugs put away in a box somewhere though! (no way I was going to throw them away after all that work) Hopefully they haven't gotten crushed in storage.
I find it funny looking back, but whenever I was starting up the collection, I asked my parents to please catch & date any interesting bugs they happened to find so I could pick them up whenever I went back home for thanksgiving (because who else in my class would have specimens from South Texas?) One insect my mom labeled simply as "weird bug"...was a triatominae/kissing bug, now infamous down here for Chagas Disease :eek:
Rather impressive collection! Just looked up cicada hawks and they look awesome! I wanted a velvet ant female (the wasp, not the lame tree ants lol) but the only time I Saab one I didn't have my jars with me lol. I like the way your collection is organized by order! We had to line them up all straight and nice by order but without the labels, and i was too lazy to change it up after. Also terrified of destroying my insects, lol.
Yep, we were required to label the orders! For the collection I think we were required to have representatives for a number of specified orders (like hemiptera, coleoptera, blattodea), plus a minimum number of species for those orders? And then whatever miscellaneous things from other orders...something like that.

Your next post..."don't touch my sticks" :laugh: what is it with only finding the really cool bugs AFTER the class is over--once I finished that semester, I came across so many things where I was like "UGGH, why couldn't I have found this back when I could've used it for collection?" ('sticks being some of them; I find them often around my house, but of course never while in the class...) I also took it in the fall though, so that may've had a lot to do with it :p

@Devastating

I swear if someone had stolen or ruined them o would have lost it lol. They're what I wanted most all semester long! And a preying mantis that my gf at the time got me after class was over but then we broke up so it's tainted lol. We had to label them all as well but just on the micro labels underneath the pins (order, family, location as exact as possible, time/date and coordinates if possible). We needed at least 30 representative orders to pass and 40+ recommended for a best chance at an A lol.

Interesting! We don't have it in the fall because of the weather impacting chances of insects and all. Even the year I took it was pretty bad because of peak CA drought. I'm jealous of people taking it this spring due to the rain in CA lately ! I'd take it again for fun if I could :laugh:

Probably--I don't remember what all was in my collection though, since it was so long ago now (fall of 2011...woah :oldman:). I actually still have all these pinned bugs put away in a box somewhere though! (no way I was going to throw them away after all that work) Hopefully they haven't gotten crushed in storage.
I find it funny looking back, but whenever I was starting up the collection, I asked my parents to please catch & date any interesting bugs they happened to find so I could pick them up whenever I went back home for thanksgiving (because who else in my class would have specimens from South Texas?) One insect my mom labeled simply as "weird bug"...was a triatominae/kissing bug, now infamous down here for Chagas Disease :eek:

Yep, we were required to label the orders! For the collection I think we were required to have representatives for a number of specified orders (like hemiptera, coleoptera, blattodea), plus a minimum number of species for those orders? And then whatever miscellaneous things from other orders...something like that.

Your next post..."don't touch my sticks" :laugh: what is it with only finding the really cool bugs AFTER the class is over--once I finished that semester, I came across so many things where I was like "UGGH, why couldn't I have found this back when I could've used it for collection?" ('sticks being some of them; I find them often around my house, but of course never while in the class...) I also took it in the fall though, so that may've had a lot to do with it :p
What area was the stink bug collected from? If you don't mind me asking.

My undergrad started an entomology class right after I graduated. I was so sad I didn't get to take it. I continued on for a masters at that school, but the entomology course was a 300 level class and I couldn't take those for credit. Killing the bugs would make me sad, so maybe it's good I didn't take it.

What area was the stink bug collected from? If you don't mind me asking.

My undergrad started an entomology class right after I graduated. I was so sad I didn't get to take it. I continued on for a masters at that school, but the entomology course was a 300 level class and I couldn't take those for credit. Killing the bugs would make me sad, so maybe it's good I didn't take it.
It could've been either from where I live (south TX) or from around the school (Baton Rouge), I think that one was probably BR.
I feel you on the bug killing...I felt a bit guilty about it at first. Beats squashing or bug spray, though--still don't like when people squish harmless things just for the sake of it being an insect/arachnid.

Also, I love that the poster above me made their first post here just to show us a spider captioned "Cute". Thank you Bjornar, that post is giving me life

It could've been either from where I live (south TX) or from around the school (Baton Rouge), I think that one was probably BR.
I feel you on the bug killing...I felt a bit guilty about it at first. Beats squashing or bug spray, though--still don't like when people squish harmless things just for the sake of it being an insect/arachnid.

Also, I love that the poster above me made their first post here just to show us a spider captioned "Cute". Thank you Bjornar, that post is giving me life
Probably not a brown marmonated then. They are an invasive species from China that started in Allentown, PA, and I don't think they have made it to Texas yet. Lucky you!

How do you kill insects for collections?

Spider mite from my indoor plant... before I sprayed it down last summer with dish soap water and killed most of them.

Attachments

• S20160524_0003.jpg
    S20160524_0003.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 77
Probably not a brown marmonated then. They are an invasive species from China that started in Allentown, PA, and I don't think they have made it to Texas yet. Lucky you!

How do you kill insects for collections?
In my lab we had a contraption that dropped them into a bag of ethanol. I upset my lab instructor by casually wondering how pleasant of a death that would be.

Cool spider found outside the lab where I work:

ImageUploadedBySDN1487852693.583827.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN1487852711.949460.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
How big was it? It looks like a jumping spider to me, but those are really nice-quality images if the spider is that small.

Yeah, that's what our quick Google search turned up. It never jumped, though haha. It wasn't big, but it wasn't very small either. My coworker caught it in a kid's shoe box-sized Tupperware:
ImageUploadedBySDN1487862930.377326.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile