*^~*~^* The Official What Are My Chances/Where to Apply Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I hope to get some valuable opinions as I am very concerned and confused.

My overall GPA is 3.47 and science GPA is 3.4. My 1st mcat was 11P, 6V, and 10B. My 2nd mcat was 8P, 8V, and 9B. I have medical related extracurriculars, leadership roles, community service, and research. What are my chances? Should I wait until next cycle to apply so that I can take a 3rd mcat and see if I can score higher? Should I apply to the Carribean? Help! Thanks!

for MD, your gpa and mcat are below average (pretty sure you may have known that). do you know why your mcat score changed so much as far as distribution? if a school takes the best of each section, you would be looking better, but few schools, if any, do that. you could def try for DO here in the states if that was something you were interested in. i would suggest that before doing carribean. if you only only only want MD, you are going to have to retake the mcat. give yourself ample study time. don't rush it. if you really want to be a doctor, one more year of waiting and improving your numbers isn't going to kill you.

Members don't see this ad.

i would send in as many secondaries as you have the time/money for. as for the big city thing, omaha (where creighton is) isn't that small. yes, it is in the middle of nowhere, but the metro area has over a million i am pretty sure.

Thanks for the advice, Spospo. I think you're right, so I'll definitely fill out every secondary I get (although I'm feeling like I probably shouldn't bother with Cornell, NYU and Univ of Virginia now that I got my MCAT score), but I think I'm still not willing to consider four years in Omaha.

By the way, I wanted to thank you on behalf of everyone on here. It's really nice of you to take the time to respond to so many people posting in this thread. It's definitely appreciated.

No that I've got my MCAT score

3.1 sci
3.4 overall
3.5 ao

37R MCAT

I've got the schools I've applied to thus far in my mdapps, any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you guys give me an idea of what my chances are at top 10, top 11-20, and top 21-50 med schools? I am particularly interested in the effect my 08VR will have on my chances.

The quick summary version:
3.65 Overall, 3.54 BCPM, 3.83 AO at Duke
12PS, 08VR, 11BS, S = 31S
Lots of ECs/Volunteer/Clinical/Research

MDApplicants:

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=08462

No that I've got my MCAT score

3.1 sci
3.4 overall
3.5 ao

37R MCAT

I've got the schools I've applied to thus far in my mdapps, any thoughts?

you ever consider OHSU? i hear they really like "non-trads." your mcat is, as you already know, awesome. 3.5 ao isn't bad, but you may get screened with that science. are you still taking classes right now? if so, send in updated transcripts to schools when you can. good variety though. good luck!

MCAT PS-10 VR-10 BS-10 WS-O Total-30,O
Science/Math-3.95
Overall-3.98

Division I Athlete, Several healthcare experiences, 2 yrs research with presentations

Any comments on my chances or any schools to add?

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=8425

i don't think you need to add any schools. it will really help you being a florida resident. even though your mcat is "average" your gpa rocks. you seem really well rounded, which is what most are looking for. i played basketball in college, and it came up in every single one of my interviews. adcoms, i think, really see it as a plus. a little bit more of a unique, super tough, EC. good luck!

Hey all, maybe someone could give me some helpful feedback? I'm feeling real shaky about my chances...

mcat: 11 PS 11 V 14 BS Q WS (36Q)
bcpm: 4.00
overall: 3.98 (ug school is NYU)

Numbers are all right but EC's are on the low side...
president of apo (community service frat) for 2 years
neuro research for 1.5 years
~15 hours shadowing
starting clinical volunteer late july/august

Will my lack of clinical experience totally kill me? I really regret not being more outgoing after red tape issues prevented me from a good opportunity I kept going after...

Dream school is cornell, but any chance at all for any New York schools (SUNY, etc)?

Thanks for any input anyone can give me!!

Could you guys give me an idea of what my chances are at top 10, top 11-20, and top 21-50 med schools? I am particularly interested in the effect my 08VR will have on my chances.

The quick summary version:
3.65 Overall, 3.54 BCPM, 3.83 AO at Duke
12PS, 08VR, 11BS, S = 31S
Lots of ECs/Volunteer/Clinical/Research

MDApplicants:

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=08462

i said this to someone earlier, but Wake screened me pre-secondary, i think because of my 9's. for the most part, you are pretty average (as far as numbers go), so it may be your ECs, PS, and letters that get you that interview spot. i can't say much for your chances at the different "rankings" you asked about. you could get in at a top 25 but rejected by a school you thought was way lower than that. as long as you have the time, energy, and money, turn in as many secondaries as you can. in interviews, you will have to explain that 8 most likely. i don't think that alone will screen you from interviews, but it could. if you do ever have to explain it, don't sound like you are making excuses. good luck!

Hey all, maybe someone could give me some helpful feedback? I'm feeling real shaky about my chances...

mcat: 11 PS 11 V 14 BS Q WS (36Q)
bcpm: 4.00
overall: 3.98 (ug school is NYU)

Numbers are all right but EC's are on the low side...
president of apo (community service frat) for 2 years
neuro research for 1.5 years
~15 hours shadowing
starting clinical volunteer late july/august

Will my lack of clinical experience totally kill me? I really regret not being more outgoing after red tape issues prevented me from a good opportunity I kept going after...

Dream school is cornell, but any chance at all for any New York schools (SUNY, etc)?

Thanks for any input anyone can give me!!

your numbers are great, so don't be worrying about those. yes, a little red flag does pop up when you have no clinical experience. what did you try to do but weren't allowed to (or whatever you wrote)? when i applied, i had very very minimal clinical experience. very. i had no research either. you at least have the research. in my opinion, you have a great shot at all the NY schools. i am not an adcom though, they may be hesitant when they see no clinical stuff. just go for it. if you get an interview and ask about it, just be honest and explain. best of luck!!

Do I have any shot at all considering my gpa is quite low?

Undergrad gpa - 3.33 - engineering top 20 school
Postbacc gpa - 3.35

MCAT - 33M (13P, 10VR, 10B)

No research experience, but I do have one year of clinical.

Thanks in advance.

i don't think you need to add any schools. it will really help you being a florida resident. even though your mcat is "average" your gpa rocks. you seem really well rounded, which is what most are looking for. i played basketball in college, and it came up in every single one of my interviews. adcoms, i think, really see it as a plus. a little bit more of a unique, super tough, EC. good luck![/QUOTE

Thanks for the advice! I wasn't really sure how adcoms viewed athletics, but it really is a big commitment. It's encouraging to know that they brought it up in your interviews. Good luck to you too.

So Guys, here are my stats and where I applied:

MCAT: 36N (PS-14, V-10, BS-12)
GPA: 3.88
BCPM: 3.89

And I applied to the following: (LA resident)

Baylor
BU
Georgetown
NYU
LSU-S

I have alot of shadowing experience, 5 years of research (no pubs), goldwater nominee, some medical triage stuff during hurricane katrina, and Alot of leadership.... But, I have 4 W grades, two were college courses during high school, one was a physics lab course while I was studying for the MCAT, and the last was an english course I dropped because I was given the opportunity to rehearse & conduct a music ensemble at a concert (rehearsals were scheduled the same time as the course)...

I don't have alot of money to apply to more schools, do you think my chances are hindered by the W grades??

Thanks so much guys

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like a little advice if anyone could offer it.
VR-12
PS-8
BS-9
WS-M

I still feel I can go at least 10s in PS and BS

Low gpa around 3 undergrad, but 3.7 post-bacc science classes, non traditional political science major,

EC- two varsity sports football, and track many awards in track
Was on a professional arena football team. leadership in a couple campus orgs, as well as leadership in my social fraternity. Shadowing/volunteering in clinical and surgical settings for 6 years.

LORs- Excellent letters from two post-bacc science professors, as well as from undergrad poli sci chair, also two excellent letters from physicians I have shadowed/observed/volunteered with.

IL Resident
any advice??

what are my chances anywhere?!
Just got my MCAT score back today!

30R

11-BS
8-PS
11-VR

I'm happy enough with my MCAT...not great but not awful either- it's about what I expected.

I just graduated 1 year early in May, but am applying AMCAS 2008. I'll be taking a year off and starting in September, I will be working full-time as a CNA.

B.A. Biology/ minor in Chem
Science GPA: 4.0
Non-science: 4.0

Extracurriculars:

2 semesters paid research assistant in microbiology lab

2 week medical mission trip to Nicaragua in May 2007

various shadowing experience:
1 week with OBGYN
1 week with 3 resident family practice physicians (one of which is writing a LOR)

3 semesters hospital volunteer- worked as surgical hostess (checked in patients, dealt with family members while waiting, etc)

1 semester study abroad in Austria (everyone should go!)

pre-med club member

University Honors program- with leadership experience

ochem tutoring

80 hrs clinical CNA experience- certified as a CNA

academic scholarship recepient- tuition scholarship for all 6 semesters

I'm applying to Vanderbilt (dream school!), University of Iowa (in-state), Creighton, U. of Minnesota, and from there I'm not sure....

Do I have a shot at Vandy or schools like Emory and Wake Forest?

Any suggestions for schools (especially in the Southeast) that my fit my application stats?

Thanks!:)

Here's my info

Boston College
GPA: 3.78
Premed GPA: 3.75

2 years undergrad research lab
* 1 poster presentation
* Departmental undergraduate research award for senior thesis

1 year chem teaching lab assistant
2 year hospital volunteer
1 shadowing experience (about 60 hours total)

1 summer as HR compensations assistant
4 years Chinese student association

Hobbies: Powerlifting, Kickboxing

MCAT 40
PS 14 VR 11 BS 15 N

My top choice will be Umass Worcester, or BU
I've also applied to
Tufts,
U rochester
WakeForest
Georgetown
NYU
Cornell
Dartmouth
Lloyla
Mt. Sinai

My EC's are very thin, so I'm wondering what are some good schools to add for "safety".

My info:

College: UC Berkeley - engineering
GPA: 3.95 (BCPM: 3.99)
MCAT:
1st Time: P14, V7, B14 WS R
2nd Time: P12, V8, B13 WS Q

EC: 1 yr of clinical experience, 1 yr of research, club officer, member of 2 other clubs.

PS: I am very concerned about my low VR score
icon9.gif
. My scores in the other three sections also dropped. I don't think I will get into top 15 or 20 med schools (I applied to a few, just to see if i am lucky.) My hopes are on med schools ranked b/w 20-40. Actually anything is fine with me

GPA: 3.22
MCAT: 32 N (11 ps, 9 vr, 12 bs)
Science GPA: 3.25
Strong upward trend in GPA: 1st 2 years I averaged a 2.7. Last two years I averaged a 3.7.

Shadowed PA's, MD's, & DO's
Volunteered in a Surgery Dept for ~ 100 hours
2 yr's research experience with marine invertebrates

EC's
4 yr's of varsity football (scholarship)
All conference honors jr. & sr. year
3 yr's of track and field
1 yr of varsity basketball (scholarship)
Tri-beta member
Teacher assistant for marine biology & anatomy/physiolgoy
Tutored biology for 2 years ~ 100 hours

Any input would be great! Would I currently be competitive for any allo schools? I am trying to figure out if I should do a special master's program this fall or work and make some money. Let me know what you think.

Hi all,

So I just finished my third year in college but my gpa wasn not high enough, so I didn't apply this application cycle and am instead applying 2008 when I am a senior. I am VERY worried because here are my stats:

Science gpa/BCMP: 2.90:(
Cum. GPA: 3.06

My pre-health advisor said that I pretty much should start looking for post bac programs or considering optometry/pharmacy and that the chances of me getting into medical school are very slim. I am taking the MCATs this sept. but she said I need an exceptional score. She said that I can't bring it up to a good enough gpa even if I try to get straight A's (=/)!

What should I do guys? I want to apply and see what happens. I am in Chicago. My parents will not allow me to take more than a year off and want me to start finding a job doing something else.

Hi all,

So I just finished my third year in college but my gpa wasn not high enough, so I didn't apply this application cycle and am instead applying 2008 when I am a senior. I am VERY worried because here are my stats:

Science gpa/BCMP: 2.90:(
Cum. GPA: 3.06

My pre-health advisor said that I pretty much should start looking for post bac programs or considering optometry/pharmacy and that the chances of me getting into medical school are very slim. I am taking the MCATs this sept. but she said I need an exceptional score. She said that I can't bring it up to a good enough gpa even if I try to get straight A's (=/)!

What should I do guys? I want to apply and see what happens. I am in Chicago. My parents will not allow me to take more than a year off and want me to start finding a job doing something else.

what are your EC's like? any research? leadership? awards?
I think your health advisor is correct, your BCMP and overall are both too low for most med schools in the US, even Carribian ones. One question you need to ask yourself is why are your BCMP and overall low? lack of time to study, lack of effort? unable to grasp the material? or out side circumstances. If our EC's are amazing, you might be able to explain away the first one. If the its the second or third, MD school is only going to be worse. And if its the last one, explain on your app.

I believe you should start a post-baac if you really want MS, working and clinical experience alone probably won't do the trick.

what are your EC's like? any research? leadership? awards?
I think your health advisor is correct, your BCMP and overall are both too low for most med schools in the US, even Carribian ones. One question you need to ask yourself is why are your BCMP and overall low? lack of time to study, lack of effort? unable to grasp the material? or out side circumstances. If our EC's are amazing, you might be able to explain away the first one. If the its the second or third, MD school is only going to be worse. And if its the last one, explain on your app.

I believe you should start a post-baac if you really want MS, working and clinical experience alone probably won't do the trick.

Clinical Research Experience (1yr)

Worked in ER as(semester)

Worked at Children's Hospital as a child life assistant (summer internship)

Research in Cancer Lab (summer)

Research in Cardiology Lab (1yr-present)

Dance Team

Volunteer at Hospital/ Peer Health Educator

Mainly, it is super competitive at my university and I do admit that all my jobs at the hospitals have consumed a great deal of time.

Clinical Research Experience (1yr)

Worked in ER as(semester)

Worked at Children's Hospital as a child life assistant (summer internship)

Research in Cancer Lab (summer)

Research in Cardiology Lab (1yr-present)

Dance Team

Volunteer at Hospital/ Peer Health Educator

Mainly, it is super competitive at my university and I do admit that all my jobs at the hospitals have consumed a great deal of time.

your EC's are solid, although probably not good enough to overcome the GPA. Btw, what university do you go to?

June 15th MCAT: BS 11/VR 7/PS 7 = 25 Q
GPA Sci./Non-Sci: 3.83/3.85

Non-trad, lot's of unique and medically-related EC's and experience. Please see my MDApps for more info (see my signature). Take a chance and apply to the schools I listed in MDApps this year? I have a strong chance at my state med school, but that's pretty much it.

Thanks in advance!

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8383

I'm getting very polarized opinions on my application... people fall into two general categories when they give advice:

(1) You'll get in everywhere you apply.
(2) You need backups, or you won't get in anywhere.

Now, I'm really kind of perplexed. Is my current school list adequate? (That is, is it likely that I will get into at least one of the schools I applied to?)

Thank you for your time.

SDN, I need your knowledge to help through these rough times. I know you guys will pull through...

I have finished my mcat and it is now time to select medical schools. I'm stumped...

Lets start with my stats and EC's. I have a 3.76 overall and a 3.76 science GPA. I'm a Michigan resident. My MCAT was 29Q (VR-10 BS-10 PS-9) which isn't stellar but I'm content.
My EC's
- I was VP of an org I helped found
- I did Alternative Spring Break 2 years in a row, the second time I helped coordinate it
- I did 2 years of research (no pubs) and I basically ran the lab myself
- Worked for 4 years pushing elderly and sick people in wheelchairs at the airport
- Volunteered at a local hospital
- about to do some shadowing
and a bunch of other random stuff but you get the point

I also speak fluent Arabic.
Here are the schools that I am considering and I have some SERIOUS reach schools. My list is massive and I wanna narrow it down to around 20 or so schools so please help me out...

Rosalind Franklin
Loyola University
Northwestern :D
Rush
Southern Il University
University of Chicago :D
University of Illinois
Johns Hopkins (I didn't go through 3 years of crap to NOT give it a shot, this one stays)
Michigan State
UMich (top dream school, this one stays)
Wayne State
Mayo :D
University of Minnesota
St. Lois U.
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
UNC
Wake Forest
Medical University of Ohio
OSU
University of Cincinnati
Oregon
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn State
Temple
Washington in Seattle
Med College of Wisconsin
U. Wisconson

wow...thats a lot

your EC's are solid, although probably not good enough to overcome the GPA. Btw, what university do you go to?

Uchicago

Do you suggest then doing SMP's/post bac?

I have a year to go to get up this gpa and I hope to try my best to do so.

I'm getting very polarized opinions on my application... people fall into two general categories when they give advice:

Now, I'm really kind of perplexed. Is my current school list adequate? (That is, is it likely that I will get into at least one of the schools I applied to?)

Thank you for your time.

I think your application looks excellent, and I would bet money that you'll get into at least one if not more of your schools (assuming that your essays look good and you interview well). But if you're looking for a school to add, how about Pitt? Or perhaps Univ of Virginia?

Hey Guys,
Congrats to those with interviews and good luck to everyone! I just wanted to see what you guys think about my chances at interviews/admissions for Texas MD schools (I am a TX resident). Also, I have applied to out-of-state schools like Temple, George Washington, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, Virginia Commonwealth, Jefferson, New York Medical College, and Tulane.
Biology major from UT Austin, 3.74 overall GPA, 3.67 science GPA, 28P MCAT (9 PS & BS, 10 VR)
Strong extracurriculars (leadership, medical experience, started a non-profit with friends to help promote education in rural India, research publication, personal statement, etc.) - at least by my own judgement
Submitted TMDSAS in early June and AMCAS in early July, but MCAT came in July 1st week. Everything submitted as of July 10.
Any input/opinions are appreciated. Thanks again!

Thank you for your time.

your likely to get into every where you apply except for the top 5 maybe cause of your GPA, with that said, you you should add some safeties...

Hey, can someone please advice me on what todo? I'm a little scared; little is a big understatement.

My MCAT scores: VR: 11, Bio: 9, P: 10, Q
Overall GPA: ~3.5
Science GPA: ~3.5

I'm currently sighed up to retake the MCAT in august, but I am not sure if I should do it if i don't think my score is going to go up that much maybe 1 or 2 or 3 points. Should I retake the MCAT? If not, i'm currently applying to schools like Boston University, Tulane, Albany etc should i be really worried do i have a chance??

Thanks! :oops:

Hey, can someone please advice me on what todo? I'm a little scared; little is a big understatement.

My MCAT scores: VR: 11, Bio: 9, P: 10, Q
Overall GPA: ~3.5
Science GPA: ~3.5

I'm currently sighed up to retake the MCAT in august, but I am not sure if I should do it if i don't think my score is going to go up that much maybe 1 or 2 or 3 points. Should I retake the MCAT? If not, i'm currently applying to schools like Boston University, Tulane, Albany etc should i be really worried do i have a chance??

Thanks! :oops:

If you only think your score might go up a point or two, I don't think you should retake. The delay to your app being complete wouldn't be worth it, as well as the possibility that your MCAT score could always go down a point or two instead. And your MCAT is perfectly fine for a chance at those schools. However, there will be a ton of applicants who have similar stats as yours (or better), so just being competitive won't be enough. Basically, you left off the most important piece of information here - your ECs. If you have good clinical (and maybe some research) experience, good LORs and a great personal statement, I would think that you certainly have a decent enough shot to not retake the MCAT. Also, what are your state schools? You need to apply BROADLY (I'd suggest 20-30 schools if you don't want to risk being a reapplicant), unless you're in a favorable state like TX, FL, OH, etc.

Hi all,

I just created my profile. I'm late in the game and I'm trying to balance mcat studying with application stuff. And, I'm trying to go through my UG school's premed committee, even though I graduated two years ago.

Please review, any advice is appreciated!

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8532

So I'm just about ready to send my applications in, and was wondering if anyone had any input on my stats, or schools i should consider. I'm basically just looking to get into any medical school, preferably in the midwest since I am from Chicago. I go to Penn State and am about to start my senior year.

2.92 freshman year GPA
3.6 sophomore year GPA
3.8 Junior year GPA

3.42 Overall
3.2-3.3 science GPA

29 R MCAT score 8VR 10ps 11bs

I spent a year and a half doing Div 1 varsity fencing for a top team in the nation (helps explain low freshman year GPA).

2 summers interning for a psychiatrist with lab/research experience.
Time spent Shadowing a D.O.
Summer Spent volunteering with an endocrinologist
Also shadowed a O.D. the same summer

I'm applying to a bunch of schools hoping to get into 1... any suggestions??? I'm hoping my upward trend (only 4 B's since freshman year and 3.72 GPA since then) will get me some interviews.

Heres my current list of schools... besides Wisconsin Madison (dream school) i think most are pretty low tier. If anyone has any comments on these being out of my reach, or other schools i should consider I'd appreciate it.

George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici Medical College of Wisconsin
Michigan State University
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Rush Medical College
Southern Illinois School of Medicine
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med. & Pub. Hlth.
University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medic University of South Florida College of Medicine University of Wisconsin
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
spacer.gif
West Virginia University School of Medicine

So I'm just about ready to send my applications in, and was wondering if anyone had any input on my stats, or schools i should consider. I'm basically just looking to get into any medical school, preferably in the midwest since I am from Chicago. I go to Penn State and am about to start my senior year.

2.92 freshman year GPA
3.6 sophomore year GPA
3.8 Junior year GPA

3.42 Overall
3.2-3.3 science GPA

29 R MCAT score 8VR 10ps 11bs

I spent a year and a half doing Div 1 varsity fencing for a top team in the nation (helps explain low freshman year GPA).

2 summers interning for a psychiatrist with lab/research experience.
Time spent Shadowing a D.O.
Summer Spent volunteering with an endocrinologist
Also shadowed a O.D. the same summer

I'm applying to a bunch of schools hoping to get into 1... any suggestions??? I'm hoping my upward trend (only 4 B's since freshman year and 3.72 GPA since then) will get me some interviews.

Heres my current list of schools... besides Wisconsin Madison (dream school) i think most are pretty low tier. If anyone has any comments on these being out of my reach, or other schools i should consider I'd appreciate it.

George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici Medical College of Wisconsin
Michigan State University
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Rush Medical College
Southern Illinois School of Medicine
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med. & Pub. Hlth.
University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medic University of South Florida College of Medicine University of Wisconsin
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
spacer.gif
West Virginia University School of Medicine

Since you're aiming for the mid-west, why not add St. Louis University? And I don't know much about the Ohio schools, but how about checking some of the others out. Maybe Toledo? Good luck!

^why are TX, FL and OH favorable states for reapplicants?

TX and FL are just favorable overall since there are multiple state schools that have a huge preference for instate applicants. I figure if you're going to be a reapplicant anywhere, it's better there than in other states. I threw Ohio in there, but I may be wrong about the instate preference at OH schools.

Which is a better option for a Canadian? Finishing all secondaries this week, cross fingers and wait. Or reapplying on the 9th of August and hoping to improve the MCAT by 2 or 3 points?
OA: 3.67
BCPM: 3.86
MCAT:28M (7VR, 10PS, 11BS)

I know that the rest of the people here have completed all the requirements for their med application (mcats, prereqs, etc.), so I'm still early in the process. I'm entering my junior year as a piano performance major. As a music/non-science major, it's quite hard for me to get any research opportunity, right?

In terms of classes, much of the music curriculum has conflicted with the science prereqs that I need so far. I'm going to take Physics this year, and Biology and Orgo my senior year. I have taken the other prereqs, like Gen Chem, Calculus, etc. Currently, my overall gpa is 3.86, and my bcpm gpa is 3.85. Because I will be finishing the science courses as a senior, I plan to take the mcats during the summer after graduation. So instead of applying in the current application cycle, I will be applying the year after.

How significant is it if I'm unable to take the advanced courses, such as Genetics, Cell Biology, Physiology, or Biochemistry, that most science majors take? I feel like that's such a disadvantage on my part.

As far as extracurriculars go, I've volunteered at hospitals in the ER, Surgery Recovery room, and Pharmacy, and worked at a retail pharmacy this summer, in addition to piano competitions.

Also, can certain activities from high school count towards the med school applications, such as performing for a charity event or being one of the 5 recipients to receive the Young Artist Guild award for piano in my state during that year? (I don't know if you guys know what I'm talking about).

Finally, I'd appreciate any suggestion/advice on how to improve my standing. Thanks.

Okay, I am applying MD/PhD
Overall GPA: 3.87
Science GPA: 3.82
MCAT: 35M (11PS 14VR 10BS)
PA resident

I have loads of research experience: 3 years 4 summers (2 years/3summers in the same lab). I have only started volunteering at a hospital, and my only real extracurric is a choir I have been in for 5 semesters.
I TA'd chemistry for 1.5 years and mentored another undergrad in the lab.
I also studied abroad for a year.

So far on my list I have:
Yale
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Albert Einstein
Wisconsin
Penn

I submitted my AMCAS ONLY last night, and I'm starting to fear my chances are dwindling because its getting so late. I plan to add more schools before its verified, but having difficulty choosing.

On my maybe list is: Harvard, UMich, Stanford, Case Western, Chicago, Northwestern, BU

So... my fear is I don't really have any "back-up schools", I don't really want to go to the lower tier PA schools: Drexel, Temple, Jefferson - plus they don't have huge research opps available and except only a few 2-4 MD/PhD candidates. On the other hand, all of the other schools I have listed only accept 10-20.

Anyone have any advice, on my chances of getting in the the MD/PhD programs on my list and what to do about back-ups??

Having read everyone's post in this thread I'm begining to feel a bit discourage. I've graduated with a BS with a very low GPA of 2.3. Having decided that I would never get into medical school I went to a 1 year practical nursing program, and now currently in a MS Health Admin program with a GPA of 3.8. But I still have that desire to go to medical school. I know most schools look at undergrad GPA and BCMP but will they consider a GPA from grad school, showing that I can continue to succeed. I plan to retake some of my classes from undergrad but I can not take all b/c of cost. Do I really have a chance, even if I pull off a high MCAT of 40-O?

Hi everyone,

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=8490 here is my MD applicants profile. Would you like to have a look at it and comment on the schools that I have selected?

MCAT = 40 M (13,13,14)
GPA = 3.84 (BCPM 3.85)
ECs in MdApplicants profile.

I wanted to apply to the combined MD/PhD programs but since they are so competitive, I think I will just apply to regular MD programs.

I want to add some more schools and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=8490 here is my MD applicants profile. Would you like to have a look at it and comment on the schools that I have selected?

MCAT = 40 M (13,13,14)
GPA = 3.84 (BCPM 3.85)
ECs in MdApplicants profile.

I wanted to apply to the combined MD/PhD programs but since they are so competitive, I think I will just apply to regular MD programs.

I want to add some more schools and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

You have exceptional stats. I think you will get into at least one of the top schools that are on your list right now, if not more. But you should also add some schools that have some lower admissions averages, just in case because you never know. I noticed most schools are east coast but how about some of the other ones in CA like USC, UCD, UCI, UCSF, UCLA, or UCSD? In Illinois - Rosalind Franklin? In New York - Buffalo, SUNY upstate, Mt. Sinai, or Yeshiva? In MA - Boston U or Tufts? In PA, - U of Rochester, Drexel, or Temple? And in Missouri - St Louis U? Those are some in the same states/cities as other schools you applied to, but U. of Virginia or U. of Wisconsin are others that might be good. They all have acceptance averages way below yours so you'll be highly competitive at all of them.

You have exceptional stats. I think you will get into at least one of the top schools that are on your list right now, if not more. But you should also add some schools that have some lower admissions averages, just in case because you never know. I noticed most schools are east coast but how about some of the other ones in CA like USC, UCD, UCI, UCSF, UCLA, or UCSD? In Illinois - Rosalind Franklin? In New York - Buffalo, SUNY upstate, Mt. Sinai, or Yeshiva? In MA - Boston U or Tufts? In PA, - U of Rochester, Drexel, or Temple? And in Missouri - St Louis U? Those are some in the same states/cities as other schools you applied to, but U. of Virginia or U. of Wisconsin are others that might be good. They all have acceptance averages way below yours so you'll be highly competitive at all of them.

aren't the SUNY's residency required?
oh and bump

can someone please advise anything to my previous post? thanks..

I know that the rest of the people here have completed all the requirements for their med application (mcats, prereqs, etc.), so I'm still early in the process. I'm entering my junior year as a piano performance major. As a music/non-science major, it's quite hard for me to get any research opportunity, right?

In terms of classes, much of the music curriculum has conflicted with the science prereqs that I need so far. I'm going to take Physics this year, and Biology and Orgo my senior year. I have taken the other prereqs, like Gen Chem, Calculus, etc. Currently, my overall gpa is 3.86, and my bcpm gpa is 3.85. Because I will be finishing the science courses as a senior, I plan to take the mcats during the summer after graduation. So instead of applying in the current application cycle, I will be applying the year after.

How significant is it if I'm unable to take the advanced courses, such as Genetics, Cell Biology, Physiology, or Biochemistry, that most science majors take? I feel like that's such a disadvantage on my part.

As far as extracurriculars go, I've volunteered at hospitals in the ER, Surgery Recovery room, and Pharmacy, and worked at a retail pharmacy this summer, in addition to piano competitions.

Also, can certain activities from high school count towards the med school applications, such as performing for a charity event or being one of the 5 recipients to receive the Young Artist Guild award for piano in my state during that year? (I don't know if you guys know what I'm talking about).

Finally, I'd appreciate any suggestion/advice on how to improve my standing. Thanks.

Generally this thread is for people who are considering applying this cycle. Regardless, you sound like you're doing fine. You don't need upper level courses unless you want to go to a school that requires biochem, mol bio or genetics. Otherwise, just don't apply to those schools. Med schools like diversity. Coming from a musical background will not be in any way a negative. If you're determined to get research experience, either stalk the science profs at your school and beg, or ask around at local hospitals to see if you can volunteer in a clinical research project. Med school applications are focused on college activities. But, if you feel really strongly about your high school accomplishments, it's your call if you want to mention them. I would work them into an essay perhaps, talking about something you learned from the experience if you really think it was meaningful. Otherwise, your ECs and gpa are great (you don't NEED research unless you want to apply to research heavy schools) - just keep up the good grades in the science pre-reqs.

So I've been out of undergrad 2 years, ~3.6 GPA Bio major, some strong ECs (I think) and some work exp. I took the MCATs in April 06 the first time and got 27Q, my verbal was a dismal 6. I'm retaking in August in hopes to raise my sad verbal and break 30. I'm originally a California resident, but I now have DC residency. Right now I'm studying for the MCATS and trying to get my app stuff in order. I still haven't submitted my primary because I have to finish my PS and I'm trying to figure out if I need to go through my undergrad's premed committee. Thoughts on my chances at the schools listed on my MDapp page? http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8532

Also, I tried to post a question about DC residency advantages/disadvantages, but I can't seem to find it.... so I'll rephrase it here:

I heard DC residents benefit from in state tuition at any school, but are still considered "out of state" in applying. So, should I keep my DC residency in hopes to get into a school, or switch back to California? I would love to stay on the east coast, but it might be nice to know that if I switch my residency back, I would have a better shot at med school...

Any feedback is appreciated, and good luck to all!

aren't the SUNY's residency required?
oh and bump

From SUNY upstate's website...

Do you give preference to applicants from New York State?

No. The College of Medicine at Upstate Medical University attempts to attract the best students regardless of their origin. New York residents remain heavily represented however, constituting about 80% of the class of 2009, in part because the tuition structure at SUNY Upstate is less for NYS residents than for out of state students. Out of state students may apply for New York State residency after 12 months, making NY State schools a great value even for non-residents.

i'm a recent grad in the current application cycle thinking of taking the MCATs again in mid august (aiming for 34-35)... what are some thoughts on my chances for top 10 or top 20 schools with my current stats? how about if i can pull up my MCAT?

MCAT: 31O (12PS, 9VR, 10BS)
GPA: 3.63 from an ivy league
BPCM: 3.67

ECs: 400+ volunteer hours at local hospital (service award nominee), 1 yr viral research (pending publication), student leadership positions (VP of one student club and treasurer of another), C.E.O. of entrepreneurial startup (producing a medical device), martial arts (bronze medalist at national competition)

Status
Not open for further replies.