Where can I find med students to review my personal statement outline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexxer

Reaction score
I have the main portion of my personal statement done, but it is just the starting rough draft. I wanted to make sure I am covering what's important and that my thoughts flow well together before finishing the conclusion and editing the wording. Where do I find people who have gone through this process before to get some quick advice from?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you talked to your advisor / health professions / pre-med office?

That's usually the best starting place to get feedback, as they see lots of these and know what has and has not been successful.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll do it, but ya gotta let me take step 1 first, and that's not till February

Ryan Gray's book is good. Also hopefully someone who isn't on dedicated will see this thread haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you talked to your advisor / health professions / pre-med office?

That's usually the best starting place to get feedback, as they see lots of these and know what has and has not been successful.
Yeah, I have an appointment in February, but they only let us talk to them/make appointments twice a semester which isn't very helpful if I want to ask follow up questions :')

Regardless of the narrative you use to convey this information the purpose of your PS is essentially threefold. You want to show that you have: (i) a strong desire to pursue medicine; (ii) the experiences necessary to understand what it means to be a medical student and a doctor (i.e., you know what you are getting into); and (iii) the traits and experiences necessary to be an asset to medical schools, and a skilled and humane doctor. Every sentence in these essays should directly further one of those goals. If not, the sentence is a waste of your finite opportunity to sell yourself to a highly-competitive schools.

For a fuller exploration of this topic, you may want to consult the essay in the link below:

Essay Workshop 101 - SDN

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an M1. You can PM it to me I'll take a look.