*^~*~^* The Official What Are My Chances/Where to Apply Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I submitted my AMCAS mid-June and took the June 15th MCAT. I received my scores last week-- 31 N (12 PS 9 VR 10 BS). My undergraduate GPA is 3.95 and BCPM is 3.93.
EC's: Radiology transporter, biochemistry research, ~130 volunteer hours in a hospital and school health clinic, shadowing, AED pre-health honors society, phi beta kappa, 1 year college tennis
Since many of my applications were placed on hold pending the receipt of my MCAT score, I am starting to worry that the schools I did apply to will wait a long time to send me a secondary.
In any event, here is my current list of schools. Should I add more and if so what schools would be a good fit?

University of TN Health Science Center
ETSU-James H. Quillen COM (submitted secondary)
Meharry Medical College (submitted secondary)
Wake Forest University
Emory University
Vanderbilt University
University of Louisville (submitted secondary)
University of Kentucky
University of Alabama
Tulane University
St. Louis University

Members don't see this ad.

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8383

I'm getting very polarized opinions on my application... people fall into two general categories when they give advice:

(1) You'll get in everywhere you apply.
(2) You need backups, or you won't get in anywhere.

Now, I'm really kind of perplexed. Is my current school list adequate? (That is, is it likely that I will get into at least one of the schools I applied to?)

Thank you for your time.

Obviously your app is excellent

I'd add a couple safety schools just in case though. It looks like every school you have on there is very competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
retake the MCAT

you can't get in w/ a 6 VR (unless you're URM)

I agree with your advice generally, but there are always exceptions. Didn't SDNer ihateverbal get into an allo school with a 6 in VR? Granted, it's rare, so I agree that the OP should retake regardless. Just splitting hairs I guess.

Hello all. I submitted my AMCAS mid-June and took the June 15th MCAT. I received my scores last week-- 31 N (12 PS 9 VR 10 BS). My undergraduate GPA is 3.95 and BCPM is 3.93.
EC's: Radiology transporter, biochemistry research, ~130 volunteer hours in a hospital and school health clinic, shadowing, AED pre-health honors society, phi beta kappa, 1 year college tennis
Since many of my applications were placed on hold pending the receipt of my MCAT score, I am starting to worry that the schools I did apply to will wait a long time to send me a secondary.
In any event, here is my current list of schools. Should I add more and if so what schools would be a good fit?

University of TN Health Science Center
ETSU-James H. Quillen COM (submitted secondary)
Meharry Medical College (submitted secondary)
Wake Forest University
Emory University
Vanderbilt University
University of Louisville (submitted secondary)
University of Kentucky
University of Alabama
Tulane University
St. Louis University

Might help to indicate what your home state is. I'm assuming TN given the TN schools and the southern focus. I'm guessing that you might be willing to leave the south given that you included St. Louis University, or are the north-east, east coast and mid-west generally not geographically feasible for you?

Hi,

So heres my story and I hope you can give me some insight into what I might possibly expect to see.

From Canada, eh?
cGPA 3.5, BCPM 3.48, AO 3.55 from a Canadian ivy league
MCAT 31Q (10PS, 8V, 13BS, Q)
GPA is kind of crappy. Had bad years in 1st and 2nd because relationship issues and a ton of family deaths plus caught some hospital virus from all of the volunteering I did in the wards. Kind of didnt help my GPA. 4.0 cGPA and BCPM otherwise.

I went over some of this in brief in my PS but more on the side of what I learned from it and bounced back. Short and sweet I didnt want to seem like i was whining. I think it was good overall as I enlisted the help of two pre-med advisors in the States since that kind of thing doesnt exist in Ontario and my Dean of Medicine who gave me some good advice.

Verified on or about the 16th of June (AMCAS took a bit and snail mail sucks but its all I have to work with). All secondaries have been sent out within two business days with the exception of Creighton which I just got and NYMC which I havent got yet. 11 of the 14 files are complete as of early this week or late last due to snail mail.

ECs:

- 5 years in Medical Research beginning in highschool (will be doing a thesis in the Fall as the MD/PhD programs up here wanted to see one)
--> Alzheimer's, ALS/oxidation stress and neuroinflammation, and spinal cord injury
- 2 publications one first author either accepted or in the process of being submitted. The accepted one went to Journal of Experimental Medicine (JEM) awaiting epub --> both in spinal cord injury
- Designed a Low-Impact Excerise Program for COPD patients
- Designed a model for extended health insurance and pharmaceutical care --> this should be out late this year
- Created an undergraduate course "Introduction to Interdisciplinary and Collaborative Care"
--> will be presenting a poster on this work at Minneapolis in the Fall
- Volunteer at the Chemotherapy ward serving all of southwestern ontario logging about 100-150 hours
- Board of Directors for two national organizations one for patient safety through effective communication and knowledge transfer and the other on Canadian interdisciplinary education for the Federal Government
- Have headed three club-type organizations at the school and began the first joint university and community college club in Canada for health professional students
- Began my a tutoring company for underserviced/rural highschool students --> was a tutor as a well as president
- Heart and Stroke Foundation award for my research
- Volunteer for the Lung Association
- Special Olympics Volunteer (Helped participants between events)
- Involved internationally in medical relief for Sudan/Darfur region
- Currently helping educators in Rwanda with resources and sharing experiences to increase the team-based health care that they are trying to set up
- Intramural Hockey, Assitant Captain: I cant play very competitive or varsity anymore as my knee is injured
- I play the bagpipes, guitar decently, and the piano recreationally (ie when no one else is in earshot)
- write short stories and draw
- collect books on history and philosophy from around the world
- Chair of a national medical conference for next year
- taught during a bunch of seminars and do a lot more little odds and ends.

They give you 48 spots on OMSAS, so I tried to pick my best 15 for AMCAS some of these are more condensed on the application with more in the description. This stuff is all spread out over four years but is more recent. I hope this gives you a sense. The schools (14) I appied to are:

Georgetown
George Washington
Tulane
Wake Forest: I got a no thank you today
Jefferson
St Louis
Case Western
Medical College Wisconsin
SUNY Upstate
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosalind Franklin
Penn State

I dont think I missed one. I could be just neurotic but I wanted to get some opinions from you guys.

Might help to indicate what your home state is. I'm assuming TN given the TN schools and the southern focus. I'm guessing that you might be willing to leave the south given that you included St. Louis University, or are the north-east, east coast and mid-west generally not geographically feasible for you?

While I would prefer to remain in the region to stay close to family and friends, if it meant getting into medical school I would absolutely consider going elsewhere. I might even find that I better identify with people from other regions. Have anywhere in mind where I'd be competitive?

While I would prefer to remain in the region to stay close to family and friends, if it meant getting into medical school I would absolutely consider going elsewhere. I might even find that I better identify with people from other regions. Have anywhere in mind where I'd be competitive?

Sure. Get an MSAR and flip through it if you haven't already. Or take a look at some of the "mid-tier" schools I'm applying to in my mdapps profile. Off the top of my head, I'd suggest you might want to look into:

Rush
Loyola
Jefferson
Boston University
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Vermont
University of Rochester
University of Pittsburgh
University of Southern California
University of Miami
Perhaps some med schools in Michigan or Ohio
etc.

Of course, BU, GW and Georgetown probably get the most applications of any med school in the country, so although your stats are highly competitive for these schools, the odds make them harder to get into. Good luck. I think you're in a very good position with your app. Also, if you really want to stay in TN, you should probably not add very many more schools since I would think you'd be a lock for your state school. So, perhaps only apply where you'd really like to end up over your state school. Back ups are good to have, but I don't think you'll need many with your stats and your state of residence.

Hi,
I am a florida resident and was wondering what my chances are for getting into florida schools and how strong my application actually is. My BCPM is 3.90. Overall 3.94. MCAT: 8 verbal, 12 physical science, 13 biology = 33O
E.C
Shepard's Hope - 02/2007-present -volunteer/community service for under privilaged: patient interaction.
Research in a lab: Year and a half.
Journal Club - reviewed scientific journal articles for a semester.
Shadow pulmonologist(my father) since i was 14
Shadowing an invasive radiologist for an extended period of time
Fraternity - belonged to a social fraternity since my freshmen year
Florida Hospital - Volunteer/community service for 6 months

What are my chances for instate schools?

Hi,
I am a florida resident and was wondering what my chances are for getting into florida schools and how strong my application actually is. My BCPM is 3.90. Overall 3.94. MCAT: 8 verbal, 12 physical science, 13 biology = 33O
E.C
Shepard's Hope - 02/2007-present -volunteer/community service for under privilaged: patient interaction.
Research in a lab: Year and a half.
Journal Club - reviewed scientific journal articles for a semester.
Shadow pulmonologist(my father) since i was 14
Shadowing an invasive radiologist for an extended period of time
Fraternity - belonged to a social fraternity since my freshmen year
Florida Hospital - Volunteer/community service for 6 months

What are my chances for instate schools?

FL LOVES their residents (other than miami, which only really really likes them). i think with your gpa and mcat, you have a great shot. you may have a little explaining to do about the 8, but i think the FL schools will still interview you with that. then you can explain it in person. good luck!

Im about to send in my application, but I would like a little input from my fellow SDNer's about my school designations. As of right now, these are my school designations.

Medical Schools

* Marshall Univ Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
* Meharry Medical College
* Michigan State University
* Morehouse School of Medicine
* New York Medical College
* The University of Toledo College of Medicine
* University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medic
* University of Louisville School of Medicine
* Wayne State University School of Medicine
* West Virginia University School of Medicine
* Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine

I am a Michigan resident with a 3.6 GPA, clinical experience both shadowing and volunteering. My MCAT score was a low 21, but I plan on retaking it and expect to score in the high 20's. Most of the schools I have above take the most recent score, so my first score will not affect me adversely. Any recommendations or comments are welcome. If you have any schools that you think I may have left off or any of the schools on my list are out the question please feel free to respond. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im about to send in my application, but I would like a little input from my fellow SDNer's about my school designations. As of right now, these are my school designations.

Medical Schools

* Marshall Univ Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
* Meharry Medical College
* Michigan State University
* Morehouse School of Medicine
* New York Medical College
* The University of Toledo College of Medicine
* University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medic
* University of Louisville School of Medicine
* Wayne State University School of Medicine
* West Virginia University School of Medicine
* Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine

I am a Michigan resident with a 3.6 GPA, clinical experience both shadowing and volunteering. My MCAT score was a low 21, but I plan on retaking it and expect to score in the high 20's. Most of the schools I have above take the most recent score, so my first score will not affect me adversely. Any recommendations or comments are welcome. If you have any schools that you think I may have left off or any of the schools on my list are out the question please feel free to respond. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Your MCAt is going to be a big problem, when are you doing the retake? hopefully it'll be early enough for competitive application. You might wnat to add Rosalin Franklin to your list. Are you black? if so you could add the other historically black med schools to your list.

I'm looking for some honest opinions here. I am considering adding Mayo to my AMCAS application but am wondering whether it would be worth spending the money. I'm a PA resident with a 33Q along with a 3.7. I have a semester of research experience, a lot of extracurricular stuff, and 16 weeks of clinical shadowing experience.

I realize that this is a stretch at best, but is it beyond my reach (based on my numbers)?

Thanks in advance

I'm looking for some honest opinions here. I am considering adding Mayo to my AMCAS application but am wondering whether it would be worth spending the money. I'm a PA resident with a 33Q along with a 3.7. I have a semester of research experience, a lot of extracurricular stuff, and 16 weeks of clinical shadowing experience.

I realize that this is a stretch at best, but is it beyond my reach (based on my numbers)?

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure there's a general consensus on what Mayo is looking for, but I heard that they look beyond numbers to some degree when they do candidate selection. I applied because I'm interested in the program but am not totally sure how competitive my application is either, (3.55O/3.78 BCPM/39S/CA)

Hoping someone can help me out here..

GPA: 3.33
non-science: 3.72
BCMP: 3.17
MCAT: 38O B:14, P:13, VR: 11

-Helped organize and modeled in a charity fashion show that raised $130,000 for charity.
-Lots of clinical volunteer hours (emergency, cancer center, etc), worked 9 months as a physicians assistant in primary care clinic
-Organized a food drive in a poor neighborhood of Tehran, Iran
-Taught MCAT courses for Examkrackers
-Clinically significant heart pump research that is to be submitted for publication
-Shadowing
-Various other community work
-Very strong LORS, strong PS

Baylor College of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Johns Hopkins University
Loyola University Chicago Stritch
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Northwestern University Feinberg
Oregon Health and Science University
Rosalind Franklin
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Chicago - Pritzker
University of Illinois at Chicago
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

I know my science gpa is an eyesore, but will my 38 MCAT, high in both physical and biological sciences, make up for it?

Also, my science gpa had an ugly tumble in sophomore year, which I attribute and explain in my PS as a separation with my fiance that was emotionally difficult, but that I overcame it with a stronger sense of purpose and emotional preparedness.

Hoping someone can help me out here..

GPA: 3.33
non-science: 3.72
BCMP: 3.17
MCAT: 38O B:14, P:13, VR: 11

-Helped organize and modeled in a charity fashion show that raised $130,000 for charity.
-Lots of clinical volunteer hours (emergency, cancer center, etc), worked 9 months as a physicians assistant in primary care clinic
-Organized a food drive in a poor neighborhood of Tehran, Iran
-Taught MCAT courses for Examkrackers
-Clinically significant heart pump research that is to be submitted for publication
-Shadowing
-Various other community work
-Very strong LORS, strong PS

Baylor College of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Johns Hopkins University
Loyola University Chicago Stritch
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Northwestern University Feinberg
Oregon Health and Science University
Rosalind Franklin
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
University of Chicago - Pritzker
University of Illinois at Chicago
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

I know my science gpa is an eyesore, but will my 38 MCAT, high in both physical and biological sciences, make up for it?

Also, my science gpa had an ugly tumble in sophomore year, which I attribute and explain in my PS as a separation with my fiance that was emotionally difficult, but that I overcame it with a stronger sense of purpose and emotional preparedness.

Hey, I'd admit you if I had a med school, but alas, I don't. I've seen people with low gpas have a rough time with allo applications even with a high MCAT. It's great that your overall gpa isn't under 3.0 - that seems to be somewhat of a dealbreaker at most schools. You may get screened out at schools that screen for secondaries, but your MCAT score will definitely help. I think you've definitely got a chance of getting in this cycle if you apply broadly, but if you're considering strengthening your application at all, I think that some upper level bio/science courses would be a great idea. If you got As it would help with your science gpa, and it would also prove you can handle the courses/work. You could even take them now and then update your applications with the grades later this year. Regardless, I think that you should apply much more broadly - somewhere around 25-30 schools if you want to give it your best shot this year. Better safe than sorry. Good luck!

GPA: 3.22
MCAT: 32 N (11 ps, 9 vr, 12 bs)
Science GPA: 3.25
Strong upward trend in GPA: 1st 2 years I averaged a 2.7. Last two years I averaged a 3.7.

Shadowed PA's, MD's, & DO's
Volunteered in a Surgery Dept for ~ 100 hours
2 yr's research experience with marine invertebrates

EC's
4 yr's of varsity football (scholarship)
All conference honors jr. & sr. year
3 yr's of track and field
1 yr of varsity basketball (scholarship)
Tri-beta member
Teacher assistant for marine biology & anatomy/physiolgoy
Tutored biology for 2 years ~ 100 hours

Any input would be great! Would I currently be competitive for any allo schools? I am trying to figure out if I should do a special master's program this fall or work and make some money. Let me know what you think.

Strong upward trend in GPA: 1st 2 years I averaged a 2.7. Last two years I averaged a 3.7.

EC's
Tri-beta member

Any input would be great! Would I currently be competitive for any allo schools? I am trying to figure out if I should do a special master's program this fall or work and make some money. Let me know what you think.

It might help if you indicated your state of residence.

EC's
Tri-beta member

What college did you go to? don't see too many varsity basketball and football players in Div 1. your GPA is obvious a bit low for US Allos, but I think you should try to highlight the level of time you were involved in your sports if indeed that was an issue. You can also highlight how you have done a lot of academic and health related things despite your full plate of sports. The upward trend is definately a plus and your MCAT is ok, so try some of the lower tier schools and your state schools definately.

I'm a TX resident asking specifically for UCSF and UCSD...but you are welcome to comment on my chances at the other schools below since I already submitted them in my AMCAS yday...I'm thinking about adding UCSF and UCSD mainly to see how fast I can get rejected :laugh: ...I was an Electrical Engineering major and graduated in '05...I worked full-time for the same company I interned for in college, but only for 5 months...after quitting, I started finishing up prereqs...all my bio/chem are from AP's...I've taken genetics, biochemistry, and chem lab at UT-Austin, but Organic Chemistry and my upper division biology(A&P 1 and 2) was taken at a junior college..I have about 80 hrs volunteering at one hospital...50-60 hrs shadowing a psychiatrist...180 hrs at a psychiatric hospital...community clinic, school for the blind, and children's hospital volunteering as well...also big brother for a 4th grader...have been in a behavioral neuroscience lab since last summer and started my own project this summer --> the basic question I'm asking is "Does rehabilitation in the impaired limb influence neurogenesis in olfactory bulbs after unilateral cortical damage?"..there's some other stuff but that's all i can remember right now....here's my stats:

overall GPA: 3.77
bcpm gpa: 3.96
MCAT: 38 (V:10 P:15 B:13 Writing: S)

and here's the list:
Baylor
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Harvard
Mount Sinai
New York University
Stanford University
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
Washington University
Cornell University
Yale University
UT Southwestern
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
UT-Houston
UT Medical Branch in Galveston
UT San Antonio

and maybe....
University of California San Diego
University of California San Francisco

Thanks.

Is there any chance I could receive a little input regarding my school choices.

Creighton University School of Medicine
Marshall Univ Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
Michigan State University
New York Medical College
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Rush Medical College
The University of Toledo College of Medicine
University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medic
University of Wisconsin
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine

Here are some of my stats

3.6 GPA
clinical experience both shadowing and volunteering.
Michigan Resident
My MCAT score was low , but I plan on retaking it and assuming I get a score in the high 20's (I understand its one thing to expect a good score and get a good score, but I need to send in my applications ASAP). Any comments are welcome. If you have any schools that you think I may have left off or any of the schools on my list are out the question please feel free to respond. Any help will be appreciated.

Is there any chance I could receive a little input regarding my school choices.

Creighton University School of Medicine
Marshall Univ Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
Michigan State University
New York Medical College
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Rush Medical College
The University of Toledo College of Medicine
University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medic
University of Wisconsin
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine

Here are some of my stats

3.6 GPA
clinical experience both shadowing and volunteering.
Michigan Resident
My MCAT score was low , but I plan on retaking it and assuming I get a score in the high 20's (I understand its one thing to expect a good score and get a good score, but I need to send in my applications ASAP). Any comments are welcome. If you have any schools that you think I may have left off or any of the schools on my list are out the question please feel free to respond. Any help will be appreciated.

Are you a WI resident? If not, I wouldn't apply to UW with a MCAT < 30. MCW would probably be a better choice than UW with a < 30 MCAT.

I am a student at Emory University and Alabama resident
3.38 overall gpa
3.29 BCMP
33N MCAT - 10 phys, 11 verbal, 12 bio

I retook a class that i did terribly in my sophomore year and without that i'd have a 3.5. Obviously my gpa is low but I have a strong upward trend with A's in both semesters of Orgo my junior year. Also i excpect strong letters of rec as well. I have worked in a lab for one summer and shadowed multiple physicians ( over 200 hours). Also I have volunteered in physical therapy rehabilitation center. The top two are "dream" schools so no i don't expect to get in, or hell, not really expecting getting past secondaries. I'm hoping the Alabama residency will help on the alabama schools as it is known to help, just worried my gpa is too low. What are your opinions?

northwestern
columbia

upitt
mt. sinai
emory
case western
yeshiva
BU

uab
usc keck
georgetown
gw
down state NY
tufts

south alabama
wake forest
new york medical college

Would like advice on my app. I am applying MSTP only and am trying to figure out what other schools I should add. Thanks!

I am a student at Emory University and Alabama resident
3.38 overall gpa
3.29 BCMP
33N MCAT - 10 phys, 11 verbal, 12 bio

I retook a class that i did terribly in my sophomore year and without that i'd have a 3.5. Obviously my gpa is low but I have a strong upward trend with A's in both semesters of Orgo my junior year. Also i excpect strong letters of rec as well. I have worked in a lab for one summer and shadowed multiple physicians ( over 200 hours). Also I have volunteered in physical therapy rehabilitation center. The top two are "dream" schools so no i don't expect to get in, or hell, not really expecting getting past secondaries. I'm hoping the Alabama residency will help on the alabama schools as it is known to help, just worried my gpa is too low. What are your opinions?

northwestern
columbia

upitt
mt. sinai
emory
case western
yeshiva
BU

uab
usc keck
georgetown
gw
down state NY
tufts

south alabama
wake forest
new york medical college

just to be safe, you should put in Temple, Drexel, NYMC, Tulane, and a few of the "lower tier" schools. I think Columbia will be a very large reach, and you might get screened from Wakeforest, which may be a good thing cause it'll save you money and hassle.

just to be safe, you should put in Temple, Drexel, NYMC, Tulane, and a few of the "lower tier" schools. I think Columbia will be a very large reach, and you might get screened from Wakeforest, which may be a good thing cause it'll save you money and hassle.

thanks for the reply. I kno columbia is a long shot but i thought i should have one or two long shots. any other top schools that wouldnt be as much of a long shot? also i have NYMC but i couldnt find many other lower tier schools that appealed to me. Also i figured if i do not get in to south alabama being a alabama resident then i wouldn't really get into those others either. what are some other lower tier schools? what about middle tier? i thought i might have a shot, but who knows.

I'm a TX resident asking specifically for UCSF and UCSD...but you are welcome to comment on my chances at the other schools below since I already submitted them in my AMCAS yday...I'm thinking about adding UCSF and UCSD mainly to see how fast I can get rejected :laugh: ...I was an Electrical Engineering major and graduated in '05...I worked full-time for the same company I interned for in college, but only for 5 months...after quitting, I started finishing up prereqs...all my bio/chem are from AP's...I've taken genetics, biochemistry, and chem lab at UT-Austin, but Organic Chemistry and my upper division biology(A&P 1 and 2) was taken at a junior college..I have about 80 hrs volunteering at one hospital...50-60 hrs shadowing a psychiatrist...180 hrs at a psychiatric hospital...community clinic, school for the blind, and children's hospital volunteering as well...also big brother for a 4th grader...have been in a behavioral neuroscience lab since last summer and started my own project this summer --> the basic question I'm asking is "Does rehabilitation in the impaired limb influence neurogenesis in olfactory bulbs after unilateral cortical damage?"..there's some other stuff but that's all i can remember right now....here's my stats:

and here's the list:
Baylor
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Harvard
Mount Sinai
New York University
Stanford University
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
Washington University
Cornell University
Yale University
UT Southwestern
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
UT-Houston
UT Medical Branch in Galveston
UT San Antonio

and maybe....
University of California San Diego
University of California San Francisco

Thanks.

any thoughts on the cali schools for me? i just went ahead and added UCSF today for kicks...we'll see what happens...it's getting to be too many schools now..i'm really dreading filling out 15 secondaries plus the 3 texas ones! :eek:

What college did you go to? don't see too many varsity basketball and football players in Div 1. your GPA is obvious a bit low for US Allos, but I think you should try to highlight the level of time you were involved in your sports if indeed that was an issue. You can also highlight how you have done a lot of academic and health related things despite your full plate of sports. The upward trend is definately a plus and your MCAT is ok, so try some of the lower tier schools and your state schools definately.

Hillsdale College. It is a small liberal arts college in southern Michigan that competes in a division 2 league. Football definetly got in the way of school when I was freshman, but I don't want to point a finger. By the time you add up all the little required commitments (lifting, running, film, training room visits for nagging minor injuries, practice, travel time, and games) I would guesstimate around 40 hours a week while in season. Some genius in the football arms race decided to create a 2nd season in the spring consisting entirely of scrimmages. I would say only 35 hours a week were mandatory during springball and about 20 hours a week at all other times throughout the year.

What do you think about Michigan State? They tend select in-staters and my MCAT score seems competitive compared to their averages. What are some other lower tier schools in the midwest I should consider applying to?

hi all, i'm a new member going through the MD apps process right now and i'm wondering if anyone has any advice...

i'm from Michigan and graduated in 3 years from UMich Ann Arbor with an individualized public health-y major and a 2.96 science/3.3 overall GPA...with an upward trend. my GPA is terrible b/c i took 2 science classes and 16-18 credits every semester, plus had jobs (research and mentoring for our undergrad research program), plus did extracurriculars (and i'm glad i did them! i came to UM b/c of all the great opportunities here!). after 3 years, i felt terrrible about myself and just wanted to get out of my grade funk, plus i love public health, so i'm in betweeen my 1st and 2nd year of my MPH in epidemiology right now, where i have a 3.77 science and non-science GPA so far. i'm still doing leadership stuff with the school of public health, i've been a GSI/TA for the intro biology course for undergrads, and i've been doing ob/gyn research since last Sept (medical records research on stillbirth and a national ob/gyn physicians survey--i;ll get published on some of those things by the end of this year and hopefully get 1st author on a side-project on phyisicians' religiocity by the end of 2007 ).

i took the mcat last summer and got a 28R (9,9,10) and i'm taking it again in a couple weeks and i've been getting 32-35 on practice tests...i'm guessing i'll get (10,11,12) or better.

so, i turned in AMCAS already and i'm waiting to do my secondaries/turn in LORs (i've gotten them from my research advisor and history of medicine profs--both involved/influential at UM's med school and the bio prof who taught me in undergrad and hired me as a GSI, then another from my orgo2 prof--b/c i got an A in it and she loved me b/c we share the same 1st name, and i'll probably get one from my grad advisor or the epid dept chair) til after the MCAT b/c i know they won't look at me until they get the scores in early sept anyways...

i don't want to do DO b/c i am interested in clinical research and a more academic career. and, i realize that with my low stats and lateness that i may have to re-apply, and in that case, i'll probably take a few years off and do a NIH/CDC fellowship or clinical research somewhere and MAYBE a post-bac program/more undergrad science classes (i really don't want to, argh, it just feels like a waste of $$--but i will if i have to...).

so, any advice/encouragement? and, WHAT ARE MY CHANCES? i've applied to MI schools, chicago schools, med coll of WI, U of MD and the DC schools, tulane, emory, and some ivies for fun--i'm going to have to do my secondaries in a tier system--do my top 10ish before i get the score and see how i feel about the others after i get the score (i applied to 27 thru AMCAS but we'll see what i feel like finishing).

I have a 3.23 GPA with a 3.6 last 2 years. Strong military leadership experience and some volunteering.

Got 8 ps, 9 vr, 9 bs 26M on MCAT. Planning to retake to try to get 30 on September 7.

I may try to throw my app in for Early Decision at MUSC, which is a less competitive school. That's my first choice, but I'm also planning on applying all over the southeast (especially USF and FSU).

Will they even look at my app during ED if they know I'm retaking the MCAT?

If I don't apply ED to MUSC, is there any benefit to applying to other schools now, before I get my retake scores back?

Is the September test too late for this cycle anyways? All other test dates are completely full in Florida.

Any help is appreciated!

they said my mcat wasn't good enough and becaue i dont' have chem lab on me... and apparently they average mcats too which woudl make my verbal a bit lower.
shoudl i just apply?

College gpa 4.00

34; 13 ps/9 vs/12 bio with an R for Writing

Math Major with minors in Chemistry, Biology, and Physics

Fairly fluent arabic speaker.

Two summer internships in biomedical research/teaching URMS math and science (both in dc).

Accepted for an internship at the NIH for the spring of 2008.

2 Ai-ships in teaching calculus and organic chemistry

Numerous awards, scholarships for academic achievement.

deans list, who's who, national collegiate scholars

volunteer at walter reed army hospital (roughly 80 hours)

volunteer at local library teaching students math and science

strong letters of recommendation (at least I really expect that, my professors were all very enthusiastic)

Ice skating for 12 years.

year and a half research in cancer regulatory networks.

Total of 6 publications submitted, prepared, or published in which I am either acknowledged or an author.

I am concerned about my mcat verbal score.

What do you think my chances at the following schools are?

1. Harvard Medical School

2. Stanford University School of Medicine

3. Yale University School of Medicine

4. Weill Medical College of Cornell University

5. University of California San Diego

6. University of California San Francisco

7. Columbia University College of P & S

8. David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA

9. Mayo Medical School

10. Wake Forest University School of Medicine

11. University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medic

12. Stony Brook University - School of Medicine

13. Georgetown University School of Medicine

14. Boston University School of Medicine

15. Baylor College of Medicine

16. University of Maryland School of Medicine

17. University of Michigan Medical School

18. University of Minnesota Medical School-Minneapolis

19. Dartmouth Medical School

20. Indiana University School of Medicine

hey guys,

i recently got my amcas verified and im kinda worried. My science gpa was lower than i anticipated. Apparently, they didnt calculated biochemistry, microbiology, or eukaryotic cell structure into my BCPM (all of which i got an A in.. biology is my strong point). I have a 3.54 science, and 3.71 overall. What are my chances of getting in to a middle tier to low tier.. O yeah, my mcat was 31N with 10P-9V-12B? thanks for any input guys. im a florida resident..

Here are my stats (I graduated from UCLA):

GPA overall: 3.22
GPA BCPM: 3.12
GPA AO: 3.42

MCATs: 32Q (12 PS, 11 BS, 9 V)

EC Activities:
- 100 hours of research in a biomechanics gait analysis laboratory for kids with CP
- 150+ hours of volunteer hours in a rehab unit at a hospital
- I have shadowed a hand surgeon and a radiologist and spent about 50+ hours hanging out with x-ray techs
- I founded a campus newspaper that was published monthly about 2 years ago (and is still being published today). It "employs" (we don't pay) about 15 different writers
- I work for a private tutoring company and tutor about 8-10 hours a week during the academic year
- I spent a summer in DC interning for a Talk Radio News company. Duties included attending congressional hearings, interviewing politicians, etc.
- I was on the board for my college's Republican club for a year
- I founded an online programming business that sold pre-made CGI scripts and did freelance programming

I know that my GPA is my major weakness. It really has me scared. The only upside is that there is definitely an upward trend (my GPA for my first year was 2.7 and my GPA for my senior year was 3.6 or 3.7). I'm hoping that my better than average MCAT score will make up for it.

My AMCAS was verified a few days ago. I applied to about 20 schools (all of which are considered "lower tier" except for UCLA and UCSD).

Schools I applied to: USC, NYMC, OHSU, Rosalind Franklin, SLU, Ohio State, U of Toledo, U of Vermont College of Medicine, Uniformed Services U, UCSD, UCD, UCLA, UCI, U of Cincinnati, Albany, Boston U, Drexel, Eastern Virginia MC, GWU, and VCU. I am a Cali resident.

Anyways, what do you guys think are my chances?

Mace1370, I would drop Ohio State.

Really, why? I heard they like California residents. Also, paying for applications isn't a problem/factor in my decisions on where to apply.
Well, then go for it. I was going just based on your numbers. Do you have an MSAR? Check that out if not.

Same here...I've already applied to 17 OOS schools, and I am considering adding a couple more. Please view my mdapps here. I would very much appreciate any comments yall have! :)

they said my mcat wasn't good enough and becaue i dont' have chem lab on me... and apparently they average mcats too which woudl make my verbal a bit lower.
shoudl i just apply?

From JMC website:
GPA 3.6
Verbal 10.1
Physical Science - 10.0
Biological Science - 10.5

You have about the same MCAT score as their entering class and a higher GPA. I'd just apply.

College gpa 4.00

34; 13 ps/9 vs/12 bio with an R for Writing

Math Major with minors in Chemistry, Biology, and Physics

Fairly fluent arabic speaker.

Two summer internships in biomedical research/teaching URMS math and science (both in dc).

Accepted for an internship at the NIH for the spring of 2008.

2 Ai-ships in teaching calculus and organic chemistry

Numerous awards, scholarships for academic achievement.

deans list, who's who, national collegiate scholars

volunteer at walter reed army hospital (roughly 80 hours)

volunteer at local library teaching students math and science

strong letters of recommendation (at least I really expect that, my professors were all very enthusiastic)

Ice skating for 12 years.

year and a half research in cancer regulatory networks.

Total of 6 publications submitted, prepared, or published in which I am either acknowledged or an author.

I am concerned about my mcat verbal score.

What do you think my chances at the following schools are?

I would feel comfortable with those stats and the list you're applying to.

Here are my stats (I graduated from UCLA):

GPA overall: 3.22
GPA BCPM: 3.12
GPA AO: 3.42

MCATs: 32Q (12 PS, 11 BS, 9 V)

I would add a few more schools with lower MSAR stats. With those stats you should be applying more broadly IMO. Definitely take a look at the MSAR. Your GPA is going to be below average for essentially every allo medical school but you know that already. Your MCAT will be slightly higher than average for some schools, but not for others. I wouldn't apply to schools where both your stats are significantly below the average for that school. Given those parameters, you should still be able to find 25-30 schools to apply to, most likely. If you've applied this early, you may be some looks at some of the schools on your list, but you may want to consider postbac if you don't get in this cycle, or potentially SMP (do UG postbac first, though).

I was hoping people could comment on whether there are more schools I should add, or any other suggestions etc. I would greatly appreciate it.

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7846

Add more schools if there are more that you would like to go to. I think you have a nice, well balanced application and have a great chance to get into a number of schools on your current list, though.

Same here...I've already applied to 17 OOS schools, and I am considering adding a couple more. Please view my mdapps here. I would very much appreciate any comments yall have! :)

Well, do you want to go out of state? You could certainly add some more OOS schools. There are a lot of schools at which your stats would be approximately the average of entrants in the MSAR, but do you want to go there?

and here's the list:
Baylor
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Harvard
Mount Sinai
New York University
Stanford University