*^~*~^* The Official What Are My Chances/Where to Apply Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my stats + EC's:

3.55 GPA, 3.7 science
MCAT: 12 VR/13 PS/ 13 BS = 38R

EC's:
-almost 2 years life science research
-active blood donor
-intramural/collegiate soccer
-scuba instructor
-about 2 years computer lab supervisor (part-time during school)
-o-chem and biochem tutor
-some shadowing
-some hospital volunteering
-computer repair shop (volunteered my time)
-traveled and lived in several cities, for research jobs (I dunno if this counts)
-some other stuff but I can't for the life of me remember (they're either minor things, or my mind is shot today)

I am Canadian btw. I know it's extremely stupid to only apply to one school, so do any of you know which schools a Canadian would be competitive at? Also, do you think there are any weaknesses in my EC's? Over the years I've really only done things that I thought were fun and enjoyable for me, and that would also help other people. I don't have as much medically related stuff as other people I've seen on here have, but I'm not sure if that's a problem.

Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Here are my stats + EC's:

3.55 GPA, 3.7 science
MCAT: 12 VR/13 PS/ 13 BS = 38R

EC's:
-almost 2 years life science research
-active blood donor
-intramural/collegiate soccer
-scuba instructor
-about 2 years computer lab supervisor (part-time during school)
-o-chem and biochem tutor
-some shadowing
-some hospital volunteering
-computer repair shop (volunteered my time)
-traveled and lived in several cities, for research jobs (I dunno if this counts)
-some other stuff but I can't for the life of me remember (they're either minor things, or my mind is shot today)

I am Canadian btw. I know it's extremely stupid to only apply to one school, so do any of you know which schools a Canadian would be competitive at? Also, do you think there are any weaknesses in my EC's? Over the years I've really only done things that I thought were fun and enjoyable for me, and that would also help other people. I don't have as much medically related stuff as other people I've seen on here have, but I'm not sure if that's a problem.

Thanks for your time.

just make a list of US schools you are interested in and then check if they take canadian. i don't have all that info for you. as for weaknesses, i don't know what you mean when you say "some" hospital volunteer work. if that means 10 hours, then there is your weakness. did you actually list the blood donor thing as an EC?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I haven't listed anything yet. Those are just some things I figured were outside of school and required some type of commitment.

Also, my first screen for US schools would be whether or not they accept Canadians. I don't really think I can choose where I would want to live.

After I have narrowed the list down to those, I will apply to ones where I think I would have a decent chance with my EC's (not just meeting MCAT/GPA averages).

I just recently (few days ago) decided to apply to US schools so I bought the MSAR book off amazon.com and I'm waiting for it to get here so that I can continue my research into all of this.

I think my biggest weakness is the amount of clinical experience (with patient contact) I have, but I don't know how much that will affect me.

Hi, wondering if anyone could check out my profile and let me know what they think?

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8373

I think I'd be happy at any US allopathic school. If I could, I'd really prefer to go to a UMDNJ school so I could be close to home. The list of schools on my mdapps profile is just a preliminary list of schools that I'm considering applying to, and I was wondering what some SDN members think of the list. I'm not even sure if I could afford trips to some of the farther places on the list for interviews. Are there any suggestions of schools that I should apply to, and are there some on the list that I should take off? Any replies would be helpful.

One potential problem (besides my low GPA, relative lack of experience, and possibly my VR score of 9) is that I got an F in Calc II (no good reason, just didn't study basically...), but I did retake it, and I got a B. I'm afraid that'll really turn some schools away.

Please let me know what you guys think, I'd really appreciate it.

Okay, here is the list of schools I am applying to:

Texas: UTMB, UTSW, and UT Houston (not applying to: A&M, Tech, UTSA or TCOM)

AMCAS: Baylor, Duke, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Mayo, UPenn, WashU, and Yale

I know this is incredibly top-heavy, but are the Texas schools I listed good mid-tier schools? Are there any good, affordable mid-tier schools for a Texas resident outside of Texas?

GPA: 4.0, MCAT: 35S

I just don't want to screw myself by not applying to the appropriate schools, but I don't want to spend an excessive amount for the application/interview process either. My dream schools are either Baylor or UTSW.

Oh, and I know I already posted here before, I was just finalizing my list.

Thanks.

To get feedback on your chances, it would be nice if y'all would comment on others. Otherwise we get a lot of questions with no answers.

Hi, wondering if anyone could check out my profile and let me know what they think?

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8373

I think I'd be happy at any US allopathic school. If I could, I'd really prefer to go to a UMDNJ school so I could be close to home. The list of schools on my mdapps profile is just a preliminary list of schools that I'm considering applying to, and I was wondering what some SDN members think of the list. I'm not even sure if I could afford trips to some of the farther places on the list for interviews. Are there any suggestions of schools that I should apply to, and are there some on the list that I should take off? Any replies would be helpful.

One potential problem (besides my low GPA, relative lack of experience, and possibly my VR score of 9) is that I got an F in Calc II (no good reason, just didn't study basically...), but I did retake it, and I got a B. I'm afraid that'll really turn some schools away.

Please let me know what you guys think, I'd really appreciate it.

Since your gpa is a bit low, I think you should definitely add more schools if you can afford it (otherwise you run the risk of having to reapply next year). Even though your state schools are still your best bet, you should consider adding a few more to cover your bases. You've got Drexel, why not add Temple? And maybe take a look at Medical College of Wisconsin (which I think is about an hour and a half north of Rosalind Franklin). I'm sure there are others on here who can recommend some other schools. Regardless, good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely have to look at more schools to add. I'm not exactly sure how much my wallet can take, but I definitely do not want to go through another cycle. Does anyone else have any other schools they'd like to suggest or suggest to take off my list? Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely have to look at more schools to add. I'm not exactly sure how much my wallet can take, but I definitely do not want to go through another cycle. Does anyone else have any other schools they'd like to suggest or suggest to take off my list? Thanks!

If you want to eliminate a school on your list, I'd suggest GW. They get over 10,000 apps a year, so while their stats aren't as high as some schools, it may actually be harder to get in due to the vast number of applicants applying. Also, they have one of the most expensive secondaries: $125.

Unless, of course, there was something in particular about GW that attracted you to it. But all else being equal, I'd avoid Boston Univ, GW and Georgetown if you want to save money in this process and focus on better odds. Good luck.

Ok here is my info.....

23y.o Male
CA Resident

3.7 GPA
33 on MCAT

My EC's are

1. Worked in local hospital for 5 years (still there...24hours/week)
2. Volunteered at another hospital while working at other for almost 2 years (4hours/week)
3. At first hospital I am vice president of activities committee... lots of leadership there
4. At first hospital I am a councilmen on employee advisory council, talk to board of trustees about current hospital problems, plus they tell us potential changes that they may do.

I would like to say in CA,
so with regards to CA what schools?

But I would not mind going out of state, I like Oregon and Colorado... so what are some other possibilities for me?

Thanks in advance :)

Here's my info

Boston College
GPA: 3.776
Premed GPA: 3.750

2 years undergrad research lab
* 1 poster presentation
* Departmental undergraduate research award for senior thesis

1 year chem teaching lab assistant
2 year hospital volunteer
1 shadowing experience (about 60 hours total)

1 summer as HR compensations assistant
4 years Chinese student association

Hobbies: Powerlifting, Kickboxing

MCAT??? lets say 35 cause that'll be my retake cutoff

My top choice will be Umass Worcester, or BU
I've also applied to
Tufts,
U rochester
WakeForest
Georgetown
NYU
Cornell
Dartmouth
Lloyla
Mt. Sinai

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

I wish I could help someone out, but I don't know much about any schools. I know a bit about the ones in NY, so if anyone has a question, feel free to ask.

Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.91

BCPM: 3.90

MCAT: 32P

EC: 2 part-time jobs
counselor at a summer camp
70 hours of volunteering in a children's hospital
160 hours shadowing pediatrician in private practice
Health Careers Opportunity Program at Rusk Institute

No Research

I've already submitted AMCAS before my MCAT scores came in, but I think I have too many reach schools, and need to add some more schools that fit my numbers. Here are the schools I applied to originally:

Creighton
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Dartmouth
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Buffalo
Drexel
Cornell
Jefferson
Temple
AECOM
NYMC
Loyola Chicago
NJMS

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'm a 23 year old white male, California resident with decent EC's, an average GPA with a strong upward trend, and a good MCAT score and I need some help expanding my list of schools to apply to. So far I have all the schools in California and the one in Oregon and Nevada (I am in a bordering county to Nevada so I am considered more of an in-stater there).

MD Applicants: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8390

Overall GPA: 3.41
BCPM GPA: 3.62

Overall GPA last 4 semesters: 3.81
BCPM GPA last 4 semesters: 3.87

MCAT Score: 12 PS, 11 V, 14 BS, Q WS (37Q overall)

Current List of Schools (Applying to these for sure):
Loma Linda University
Oregon Health & Science University
Stanford University
University of California, Davis
University of California, Irvine
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Diego
University of California, San Francisco
University of Nevada

Here are the schools I was considering adding:
George Washington
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
MSU
University of Minnesota
St. Louis University
Creighton
UMDNJ
Albany
NYU
Wake Forest
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
MCW

I would love some suggestions on my list of possible schools. I know it's a lot, but I'm a pretty average California resident, so I want to apply broadly. Also, should I add some higher tier schools or do I have enough reaches in my home state?

Not sure if I'll get any attention here, but I'd rather not make a new thread. Here's my profile: http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7897

Basic info:
- 23 y/o, NY resident, 3.53 gpa, 33M
- main ECs: volunteer asthma counselor, health educator and pediatric project assistant, community health research volunteer, over 200 hrs in the ER
- still researching schools, looking for schools with primary care emphasis, would prefer schools in NYC, but wouldn't mind going anywhere in the northeast
- SUNY Downstate is my top choice

Any comments about my chances or suggestions for schools within my range, please let me know. Thanks folks.

May 31st 2007: 30M

P: 11
V:8 :scared:
B: 11
W: M :confused:

Aug 2006: 25Q
P:8
V:8
B:9
W:Q

Absolutely no improvement in verbal!! I don't know whether to consider retake, because I feel I'm already late in the application cycle. Averaged 28-33 in practice exams. My performance in verbal varies, I can either to do well or just bomb it.

I am also an international student.
My BCMP GPA is 3.73 and overall GPA is 3.81.

EC's include:
- research (1.5 yrs)
- volunteer at ER (200hrs +)
- shadowing experiences
- tutor for gen chem
- tutor high school student-
- fellowship award
-Secretary and VP of clubs

What are my chances at:
George Washington
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Boston Albany
Albert Einstein
New York
Penn State
Texan A&M
University of Texas

Should I add or remove any schools? Also, do universities take the average MCAT score or just the last MCAT score??

Thank you for any feedback!!!!​

Ok, it's time to start tackling some of these. I'm getting all my information from my MSAR book.

Bubble: your stats seem around the average for most of the CA schools. If you have the money, apply to all of them. If not, Keck, Davis, Loma Linda, and Irvine have an average that is around yours.

Art: come back when you have your MCAT scores.

And that's all I feel like doing now :p. Flipping through each school listed by you guys will take too long.

28 y.o. male, U of MD grad 2000, spent some time in a Ph.D. Psychology program, but left to pursue medicine.

3.67 UGPA, 3.8 Grad-GPA, 37S MCAT (12/14/11 PS/VR/BS)

Average ECs (Or below average clinical exposure except 80 hrs of Shadowing, psychology research but not medical....)

Reach Schools:
UCSD
Stanford
JHU
UPenn
OHSU

Average Schools (Well, just not as hard as Reach schools)
UMD (State School)
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
UVA

Any schools I should add? Too hard of a mix? Or a good mix of tiers? I will have a copy of the MSAR tomorrow, but it'd be nice to get other input than a book...

Samurai.

Those schools look pretty good in my eyes, but I have a few concerns.

1) Why do you have OHSU as a reach? I don't see it as on par with the other schools in your "reach" category, at least number-wise.

2)Something which you may want to look into (and I am not all that informed about) is that I've heard of programs saying that you need to complete the degree that you are working on prior to matriculation. I really, don't know how that effects PhD.s (if at all), and may be more constrained to people who go back to school for an additional undergrad degree, but I would look into it.

Hope that helps.

Samurai.

Those schools look pretty good in my eyes, but I have a few concerns.

1) Why do you have OHSU as a reach? I don't see it as on par with the other schools in your "reach" category, at least number-wise.

2)Something which you may want to look into [cut] but I would look into it.

Hope that helps.

1) OHSU just becaues of my residency, they aren't a reach for quality, but in terms of % chance.

2) Yes, it is a problem, but my graduate degree is a practice degree and it would be three more years and competing for training resources with friends, etc when I don't want to practice psychotherapy. It will hurt my chances overall I think. Thankfully, my advisor wrote an excellent LOR. I don't know if it precludes me though and that is up to each medical school.

Thanks for your comments.

I got a MCAT score of 25N on may 31st mcats - 10PS 10 BS and 5 VR. Verbal is very low.
GPA 3.75. Can anyone tell me what are my chances of getting into which schools? Which schools will take a low VR. Am planning to take another MCAT on aug.20th. Also, can we still send the application to AMCAS pending the august score? I am a newbie any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hey All,

Quick insight needed here:

May 31st MCAT:

12p, 9v, 10b and a R for riting.

GPA 3.82 Overall with BCPM 3.75

I have extensive volunteering, shadowing, both bench and clinical research, president/vice president of bunch of clubs, rising senior double majoring with honors, awards/scholarships, tutoring, and am Asian American.

I want to apply to my undergrad's medical school (also am resident of this state school). Last year's averages were 31O and a 3.66 GPA. Also is a big research university in the midwest.

What are my chances? I really really want to apply EDP--think I can do it?

Thanx a bunches

Hi guys, here goes nothing :)
:

MCAT:
PS - 11
VR - 11
BS - 12
=34 P

Undergrad: State school.
3.96 Overall, 4.0 BCPM

Expecting an outstanding letter of rec from my research PI. So-so from my professors.

No publications, one poster.

1 year research, 1 summer (140hrs) volunteering at a hospital, ~30+hours shadowing.

Has anyone gotten in ED with an 8 on a section of teh MCAT? I have a 12VR and 10 PS and am trying to ED at SUNY downstate. I have a 3.7 GPA and good EC and experience and am hoping ED will give me a better chance at getting in.

Hey All,

Quick insight needed here:

May 31st MCAT:

12p, 9v, 10b and a R for riting.

GPA 3.82 Overall with BCPM 3.75

I have extensive volunteering, shadowing, both bench and clinical research, president/vice president of bunch of clubs, rising senior double majoring with honors, awards/scholarships, tutoring, and am Asian American.

I want to apply to my undergrad's medical school (also am resident of this state school). Last year's averages were 31O and a 3.66 GPA. Also is a big research university in the midwest.

What are my chances? I really really want to apply EDP--think I can do it?

Thanx a bunches

i mean, if you really want that school, then go ahead and do EDP. i don't know much about EDP though. will it set you really far behind with all the others if you don't get in? i just don't know.

as far as everything else, i think you have a good shot. you, like most in this process, are average. if you don't do/don't get in EDP, just be sure you apply to a good number of schools. i know this wasn't that helpful, but i tried.

Hi guys, here goes nothing :)
:

MCAT:
PS - 11
VR - 11
BS - 12
=34 P

Undergrad: State school.
3.96 Overall, 4.0 BCPM

Expecting an outstanding letter of rec from my research PI. So-so from my professors.

No publications, one poster.

1 year research, 1 summer (140hrs) volunteering at a hospital, ~30+hours shadowing.

both mcat and gpa are above average. good job. you may have to explain why you only had one summer and not a longer commitment ( i know i can't spell) to volunteering. any other ec's? apply to a wide range of schools. if you have the time/money, it is always good to have a few too many than a few too few.

28 y.o. male, U of MD grad 2000, spent some time in a Ph.D. Psychology program, but left to pursue medicine.

3.67 UGPA, 3.8 Grad-GPA, 37S MCAT (12/14/11 PS/VR/BS)

Average ECs (Or below average clinical exposure except 80 hrs of Shadowing, psychology research but not medical....)

Reach Schools:
UCSD
Stanford
JHU
UPenn
OHSU

Average Schools (Well, just not as hard as Reach schools)
UMD (State School)
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
UVA

Any schools I should add? Too hard of a mix? Or a good mix of tiers? I will have a copy of the MSAR tomorrow, but it'd be nice to get other input than a book...

Some schools will definitely be mad that you left your PhD program before completing it. Other than that, I think you're ok.

I got a MCAT score of 25N on may 31st mcats - 10PS 10 BS and 5 VR. Verbal is very low.
GPA 3.75. Can anyone tell me what are my chances of getting into which schools? Which schools will take a low VR. Am planning to take another MCAT on aug.20th. Also, can we still send the application to AMCAS pending the august score? I am a newbie any help will be greatly appreciated.
Signing up for a retake was a good choice. What were your practice VR scores like? If you want to improve on this section you're really going to have to work hard, verbal is generally the hardest to improve on, your science scores are fairly good...I do not mean to be overally pessimistic but with a 5, it will be quite hard to get into any medical school. You can definitely still send in your app though get that in as soon as possible.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could look at my list of schools and let me know if it's appropriate. I'm a just graduated senior who is taking a year off to do a 1 year Masters in biomedical engineering (BS in biology).

State of residency: MA
GPA: 3.83 overall, BCPM: 3.83
MCAT: 41P (13 PS, 14 VR, 14 BS), and 31S (11 PS, 8 VR, 12 BS)

ECs: Admittedly I don't have a lot of great ECs, mostly b/c I was on track to go to graduate school and study biomedical engineering. I decided to go premed at the end of my junior year, leaving pretty much just my senior year to get my act together and do volunteering/shadowing, etc. On the flip side, I do have a very strong research background because I was hoping to be competitive for grad school.

- 4 years undergrad research in biology and/or biomedical engineering (1 publication, 1 manuscript to submit, $1000 award for research)
- currently working on Masters thesis through this next year, expect to have publication sometime next year
- 6 years as paid webmaster of a Chinese language school
- volunteering for student-run disease-awareness group doing both community outreach and assisting at a free clinic using bilingual skills. Started in Feb 2007.
- volunteering for elementary after-school program for girls. Started Feb 2007.
- Shadowed physician for 24 hrs in Jan 2007.
- Joined pre-health student club during senior year, elected to social chair at the end of the year.
- played piano since age 4, volunteered 300 hrs in hospital pediatrics dept in high school

I'd like to stay near the east coast if possible, though I would consider some schools on the west coast also. Currently thinking of applying to:

Umass
BU
Harvard
Cornell
Dartmouth
AECOM
NYU
Brown
UPenn
Stanford
Duke
Yale
Columbia
U Mich
UCSD
U Chigaco
Northwestern
U Pitt

I'm not sure how broadly I should apply, but I would like to limit myself to 20 schools. I'm afraid that my ECs may get me rejections from the top tier schools though. Any suggestions or comments?

im sorry for being obvious, but you need more clinical experiences, patient exposure

after that, you'll be like a complete package :D

i mean, if you really want that school, then go ahead and do EDP. i don't know much about EDP though. will it set you really far behind with all the others if you don't get in? i just don't know.

as far as everything else, i think you have a good shot. you, like most in this process, are average. if you don't do/don't get in EDP, just be sure you apply to a good number of schools. i know this wasn't that helpful, but i tried.

thanx for the insight. However, even though I meet last years mcat score for those who matriculated , my GPA is above average compared to that same class. I should elaborate on ec's:

3 summers full time doing clinical research and am currently working on my own study and am in leadership position
2 years bench science research (also received a grant to do summer research)
Practicing EMT
Interned in a third-world hospital
Basic ED volunteering for 400 hours with leadership position
Founded a web design company
President/VP of a couple pre-med clubs
Tutoring for 3 years
Expecting strong letters
50 hours of shadowing
Lots awards/scholarships
Intramural sports
Avid squash player
Have a what I think is a strong PS too
Teaching Assistant for 1 year

SO, I figure this has to give me a great shot at applying EDP to my state school (which is also my undergrad). What more do I need to do??? Would I still be just an average applicant via this route? By no means is this a top tier school but still I was under the assumption I was on the right track to apply EDP and have a good shot getting in but not so?? Ideas anyone about this whole EDP stuff?

im sorry, i dont know how to delete my post. cheers

hey guys quick question:

i am a ca resident with about a 3.9 gpa. i have decent volunteer, internships, and shadowing experience. i only got a 28Q on my mcat, and i was wondering what schools i should bother spending the money on applying to. any comments are greatly appreciated.

thanks

hey guys quick question:

i am a ca resident with about a 3.9 gpa. i have decent volunteer, internships, and shadowing experience. i only got a 28Q on my mcat, and i was wondering what schools i should bother spending the money on applying to. any comments are greatly appreciated.

thanks

take a look at my mdapps. we have similar stats. i am sure you know that your mcat rules you out of CA schools. i only had 1 state school that i was way under the mcat average, so basically we were/are on the same page. if you are going this cycle, get in action!!! i am 90% sure that if i hadn't gotten all of my stuff in super early that i wouldn't have gotten accepted. do it now!!! :thumbup: :luck:

take a look at my mdapps. we have similar stats. i am sure you know that your mcat rules you out of CA schools. i only had 1 state school that i was way under the mcat average, so basically we were/are on the same page. if you are going this cycle, get in action!!! i am 90% sure that if i hadn't gotten all of my stuff in super early that i wouldn't have gotten accepted. do it now!!! :thumbup: :luck:

Thanks for the info! Does that include Loma Linda?

Hey everyone,

I just made a MDapp page...I'm really interested in MD/PhD, or DO/PhD...

here's the skinny:

30 Q composite (11, 9, Q, 10)...not too bad I think, but I don't plan on retaking...(though a great many people posting here are really making me sweat)

3.82 GPA
~3.5 BCMP

here's the long version:

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=08433

I really appreciate any support/advice...basically I just want to know if I have a chance (duh) in getting into an MSTP program (I know I could get into MD/DO alone somewhere with my score, etc).

Much thanks,

Anima.

Thanks for the info! Does that include Loma Linda?

i hope what i said didn't sound rude. as everyone knows, it is really tough to be a premed in CA. i think you could still go for loma linda as long as your are okay with the religious aspect of it.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could look at my list of schools and let me know if it's appropriate. I'm a just graduated senior who is taking a year off to do a 1 year Masters in biomedical engineering (BS in biology).

State of residency: MA
GPA: 3.83 overall, BCPM: 3.83
MCAT: 41P (13 PS, 14 VR, 14 BS), and 31S (11 PS, 8 VR, 12 BS)

ECs: Admittedly I don't have a lot of great ECs, mostly b/c I was on track to go to graduate school and study biomedical engineering. I decided to go premed at the end of my junior year, leaving pretty much just my senior year to get my act together and do volunteering/shadowing, etc. On the flip side, I do have a very strong research background because I was hoping to be competitive for grad school.

- 4 years undergrad research in biology and/or biomedical engineering (1 publication, 1 manuscript to submit, $1000 award for research)
- currently working on Masters thesis through this next year, expect to have publication sometime next year
- 6 years as paid webmaster of a Chinese language school
- volunteering for student-run disease-awareness group doing both community outreach and assisting at a free clinic using bilingual skills. Started in Feb 2007.
- volunteering for elementary after-school program for girls. Started Feb 2007.
- Shadowed physician for 24 hrs in Jan 2007.
- Joined pre-health student club during senior year, elected to social chair at the end of the year.
- played piano since age 4, volunteered 300 hrs in hospital pediatrics dept in high school

I'd like to stay near the east coast if possible, though I would consider some schools on the west coast also. Currently thinking of applying to:

Umass
BU
Harvard
Cornell
Dartmouth
AECOM
NYU
Brown
UPenn
Stanford
Duke
Yale
Columbia
U Mich
UCSD
U Chigaco
Northwestern
U Pitt

I'm not sure how broadly I should apply, but I would like to limit myself to 20 schools. I'm afraid that my ECs may get me rejections from the top tier schools though. Any suggestions or comments?

I don't mean to single you out but, seriously, a 41 on the MCAT and your asking what schools you can get into? Obviously you must be in the 99% ranking. What schools can you go to? ANYONE YOU WANT !!!!!!!!!!!! You should be granted an interview at any school you apply to. As long as you don’t make a bad impression at the interview you should get in anywhere. I just don't understand why people with your scores even bother posting on these types of threads. Perhaps, to freak everyone else out?????

I don't mean to single you out but, seriously, a 41 on the MCAT and your asking what schools you can get into? Obviously you must be in the 99% ranking. What schools can you go to? ANYONE YOU WANT !!!!!!!!!!!! You should be granted an interview at any school you apply to. As long as you don’t make a bad impression at the interview you should get in anywhere. I just don't understand why people with your scores even bother posting on these types of threads. Perhaps, to freak everyone else out?????

No, I understand that my numbers should get me an interview at pretty much everywhere. It's my ECs that I worry about. Everyone knows that numbers don't mean much after you get past the interview invite. I am worried that my very limited list of clinical and volunteering ECs won't make me a well-rounded enough candidate for the more competitive schools. I wouldn't want to get waitlisted/rejected everywhere just because I figured that my score was good enough to get interviewed everywhere. That's why I'm asking if I am applying appropriately. I'm not a bad interviewee, but if I don't have a lot to talk about other than my academics/research, I'm probably not going to look all that fantastic to adcoms. This is why I'm looking for advice.

Hey guys. My stats suck (so far). I really didn't get my act together until this past year, and so here goes.

3.53 gpa
24 mcat (will retake soon, hopefully i get a 30)

ECs:
-volunteer hospital ~50 hours
-shadowed family doctor ~20 hours this summer
-i recently began going to a pro-bono clinic where i both volunteer and shadow
-been involved with a student organization group on campus where myself and a whole group of people organize events on campus (these are various, from live music to cultural stuff, etc) this takes up more time than it sounds (i have been doing this for a year now and will continue next year)
-have been teaching intro biology labs for 2 semesters and will continue next year
-have been a leader in my language club for a year and have been in it for two years

i know high school stuff doesn't count, but as for clinical experience, interacting with patients, i did about 250 hours-300 hours in high school through my senior year.

i know my stuff kinda sucks but hey i'm trying my best now. my main goal now is to improve my mcat score.

btw, i'm a kansas resident and go to kstate.

am applying early to ku med
other possible places if i dont get in: florida, irvine

assuming an improved mcat score, what sort of chances do i have, realistically?

No, I understand that my numbers should get me an interview at pretty much everywhere. It's my ECs that I worry about. Everyone knows that numbers don't mean much after you get past the interview invite. I am worried that my very limited list of clinical and volunteering ECs won't make me a well-rounded enough candidate for the more competitive schools. I wouldn't want to get waitlisted/rejected everywhere just because I figured that my score was good enough to get interviewed everywhere. That's why I'm asking if I am applying appropriately. I'm not a bad interviewee, but if I don't have a lot to talk about other than my academics/research, I'm probably not going to look all that fantastic to adcoms. This is why I'm looking for advice.

It's okay, you're allowed to be nervous too. I feel your pain - about the lack of clinical experience - but did you explain your switch from biomed -> medical in your PS? or anywhere? when you interview, you just need to have very good answers about

1) why you now want to do medicine - and how you've tested your dedication to this new goal
2) why you haven't had much experience up till now in clinical settings

And make sure you continue clinical stuff this year too. You can send update letters to schools like Columbia, etc, if you get waitlisted, explaining all the stuff you're doing in the meantime.

Anyway, you should be fine. Just explain yourself well! Good luck!

Who think I can get in?

Ethnicity: South Asian-American
Home State: CO

Undergraduate Institution: University of Colorado
Area of Study:Biological/Life Sciences

Other Institution: Second Major
Area of Study: History/Humanities
Degree Obtained: BA

Other Institution: Third Major
Area of Study: Psychology/Social Sciences
Degree Obtained: BA

Application Year: 2008
MCAT Score: VR 9, PS 10, BS 10, S
BCPM GPA: 3.57
Overall GPA: 3.67

Brief Profile:
Lots of Lab work- research. Medical Mission in India. Hospital Volunteer. Shadowed a D.O w/ reco letter. Honors thesis in history. Organizing committee for Relay for Life. Officer for local AMSA chapter. Currently attempting to Organize an HSC-chapter in my univ. Two publications under my name.

I have a really strong upward trend. I started out doing engineering freshman year with a lower GPA. My GPA for the last two years was around 3.9, Hopefully that and the fact that I am a triple major could also workto my benefit.

Overview of Applications:
Awaiting Secondary
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
Arizona College of Mid. University
Boston University
Creighton University
Drexel University
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Jefferson Medical College
Loyola University Chicago
New York Medical College
Rosalind Franklin University
Rush Medical College
Saint Louis University
SUNY Upstate
Temple University
Touro University - Mare Island
Tufts University
University of Colorado
University of Miami
University of North Texas
University of Southern California
Western University of Health Sciences

I'm a 21yo male with New York residency status. Stats are:

MCAT Score: VR 11, PS 13, BS 13, R (37R)
BCPM GPA: 3.89
Overall GPA: 3.92

I have a bunch of volunteering (clinical and non-clinical), employment in a clinical setting, leadership, EMS experience, social science research with several conference presentations and in the process of writing a few papers, extensive teaching experience, and some honors like pbk as a junior, golden key, scholarships, etc.

Schools I am currently pursuing:

Drexel University
Harvard University
Johns Hopkins University
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York Medical College
New York University
Northwestern University
SUNY Stony Brook
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
Columbia University
Cornell University
Dartmouth College
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Tufts University
University of Chicago
University of Rochester
Washington University in St. Louis

I worry that my list is a little top heavy, but still thinking about adding and taking away some schools.

Any opinions and advice are immensely appreciated! thx

I'm a 21yo male with New York residency status. Stats are:

MCAT Score: VR 11, PS 13, BS 13, R
BCPM GPA: 3.89
Overall GPA: 3.92

I have a bunch of volunteering (clinical and non-clinical), employment in a clinical setting, leadership, EMS experience, social science research with several conference presentations and in the process of writing a few papers, extensive teaching experience, and some honors like pbk as a junior, golden key, scholarships, etc.

Schools I am currently pursuing:

Drexel University
Harvard University
Johns Hopkins University
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York Medical College
New York University
Northwestern University
SUNY Stony Brook
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
Columbia University
Cornell University
Dartmouth College
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Tufts University
University of Chicago
University of Rochester
Washington University in St. Louis

I worry that my list is a little top heavy, but still thinking about adding and taking away some schools.

Any opinions and advice are immensely appreciated! thx

Honestly, I think your list looks good. With that MCAT score and GPA you are an extremely competitive canidate for almost all of those schools (we all know Harvard and Hopkins can be a crapshoot for anyone). What about adding Yale?

I'm a California resident, did undergrad at a east coast private school.
I have about a 3.42GPA and BCPM, 36 MCAT (10V, 14PS, 12BS).

I have average ECs, did shadowing, 1 year of research (no publications), 1 year of community based clinics, years of community-related volunteer work (raise money for homeless, clean up parks, etc). Thus far I plan on volunteering/working as an EMT in my off year.

Any advice on what I should do during my off year to increase my chances? Any schools I should take out because I don't have a chance or because they don't accept OOS?

Thanks for your help.

I'm pursuing the following list:

1. Albany Medical College
2. Boston University
3. Creighton University
4. Drexel University
5. Georgetown University
6. George Washington university
7. Jefferson Medical College
8. Loyola University Chicago
9. Stanford
10. Rosalind Franklin University