**** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

My best advice is try to relax and be yourself. They like authentic answers and if you're just saying what you think they want to hear I think that's pretty obvious. But if you go in relaxed and be yourself you'll be fine. As far as what questions. Be prepared for the typical why do you want to be a dentist? Why would you like UDM? (That question shows you've actually looked into UDM as to why it would be a good fit for you)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I applied to UDM this year and interviewed in August. I'm currently completely my Master's degree. I'm wondering if anyone who was accepted while doing a Master's last year received a contingent acceptance with the expectation that you need to complete your Master's degree.

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi everyone! I applied to UDM this year and interviewed in August. I'm currently completely my Master's degree. I'm wondering if anyone who was accepted while doing a Master's last year received a contingent acceptance with the expectation that you need to complete your Master's degree.

Thanks in advance :)

Or, did they not require that you complete the Master's?

Members don't see this ad :)
By most schools, it is expected, pretty much required to complete your M.S. prior to matriculation.
Two of my friends spoke with UDM on separate occasions. They were both told they don't need to complete the Masters program for acceptance.

whattttttt that's odd. So they can just drop out after getting an acceptance if they want to?
yeah! someone actually got into UofM after a semester of the masters program. I think the main goal of the masters program is to:
1) do something in your gap year
2)prove you're capable of succeeding in tough science courses
However, there are going to be a good amount of people who will probably have to finish the entire program.

Reactions: 1 user
If you guys have any UDM questions PM me, been going there for a semester now.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone else have an interview that felt more like they were being interrogated than a relaxed, casual conversation?

ME! :hello:
Went into the interview confident in myself, left the interview a nervous wreck. It wasn't anything like how I thought it would be. My interviewers were not very conversational at all, and believe me I tried to be as friendly and open as I could. No idea how it went ... guess I'll find out Dec 1 :(

Did anyone else have an interview that felt more like they were being interrogated than a relaxed, casual conversation?
it's a hit or miss with UDM's interviews. Last year felt like it was strictly interrogation, while this year my interview was a lot more laid back. However, its very difficult to tell how your interview went based on whether it was one of the two. You could feel like the interview went horrible and get a call Dec 1st, and you could feel like the interview went great and get waitlisted.

Mine was very average in my opinion and I got in. I wouldn't give up hope yet guys. I know for a fact that sending an email expressing your interest in the school, thanking your interviewers, and showing GENUINE interest goes a long way. You also have to show continued interest and keep in touch (not too often as to be annoying of course). Don't be lazy guys! Simple things like this are important to them.

Mine was very average in my opinion and I got in. I wouldn't give up hope yet guys. I know for a fact that sending an email expressing your interest in the school, thanking your interviewers, and showing GENUINE interest goes a long way. You also have to show continued interest and keep in touch (not too often as to be annoying of course). Don't be lazy guys! Simple things like this are important to them.
Hey I wanted to ask you, how is this first semester going for you? What classes did you think were the most difficult, and is it hard to keep up with sim lab and classwork?

It's going pretty well. I definitely have to spend a lot more time studying Gross Anatomy because I didn't take it in undergrad. Otherwise it's simply a matter of courseload, not necessarily the difficulty of one particular course. Also, I'm finding sim lab to be relatively intuitive so I don't practice after hours almost ever, but it's not something I would recommend. I know a lot of students who spend a large amount of time in sim lab and they still find time to study and do well. Just depends on your strengths and weaknesses I suppose.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's a hit or miss with UDM's interviews. Last year felt like it was strictly interrogation, while this year my interview was a lot more laid back. However, its very difficult to tell how your interview went based on whether it was one of the two. You could feel like the interview went horrible and get a call Dec 1st, and you could feel like the interview went great and get waitlisted.
So you got interviewed two times at UDM? Did you get waitlisted the first time? And was the interview pre-december?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using SDN mobile

So you got interviewed two times at UDM? Did you get waitlisted the first time? And was the interview pre-december?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using SDN mobile
Yeah I interviewed twice, both pre December. I was waitlisted last year. I'm pretty sure I was high up on the wait list because they asked for an academic update around April, and they do that for students higher up on the wait list. They told me last year was the most competitive year by far, and it's beginning to get more and more competitive. (21 dat average 3.6sgpa average). A lot of people are switching to dentistry, and I don't blame em it's an awesome career path.

Yeah I interviewed twice, both pre December. I was waitlisted last year. I'm pretty sure I was high up on the wait list because they asked for an academic update around April, and they do that for students higher up on the wait list. They told me last year was the most competitive year by far, and it's beginning to get more and more competitive. (21 dat average 3.6sgpa average). A lot of people are switching to dentistry, and I don't blame em it's an awesome career path.
Could I know what your stats were?

Yeah I think Dr. Jeffers told us at orientation that the marticulating GPA for our 2020 class was 3.61! Although, he did also say that the DAT AA was 20 not 21.

Canadian applicant here,

UDM is my top choice due to proximity and also I heard nothing but great things from friends that attend here already.
Stats: 3.62 cGPA, 3.67 sGPA, 19AA-20TS-22PAT, 750 hours of research and a publication on the way in august (not primary author tho), 300+ shadowing hours (but only with one dentist :( should have diversified but its too late), plenty of ECs with campus clubs including leadership positions etc, 200+ hospital volunteer hours, have had experiences working with a wide range of people from grade school kids, university students to elderly.

I plan to retake the american DAT in early august, can't do it any sooner cus im taking orgo 2 in summer school.

Any feedback on competitiveness and what can I do to fruther improve leading up to interviews would be much appreciated

Rafi

Canadian applicant here,

UDM is my top choice due to proximity and also I heard nothing but great things from friends that attend here already.
Stats: 3.62 cGPA, 3.67 sGPA, 19AA-20TS-22PAT, 750 hours of research and a publication on the way in august (not primary author tho), 300+ shadowing hours (but only with one dentist :( should have diversified but its too late), plenty of ECs with campus clubs including leadership positions etc, 200+ hospital volunteer hours, have had experiences working with a wide range of people from grade school kids, university students to elderly.

I plan to retake the american DAT in early august, can't do it any sooner cus im taking orgo 2 in summer school.

Any feedback on competitiveness and what can I do to fruther improve leading up to interviews would be much appreciated

Rafi
Hi there,

I'm also a Canadian applicant who applied to UDM this year and was accepted. I was later on accepted by a Canadian school so I won't be attending UDM. However, I also have friends there and said many great things to me about UDM, so I think it's definitely a place worth going to study dentistry.

As for your stats, I would say you probably have more EC than I do based off of our description. I do have a higher GPA (3.93-3.95) and a slightly higher DAT score. I think reattempting DAT definitely is a good idea. Other than that, I would say really focus on your personal statement, make sure to give yourself sufficient time to write it, edit it and even ask your friends, family or other people to read it and give you suggestions. Once you receive your interview, I would say their interview is fairly laid back. The questions they ask you should be something you already have an answer to. Even if you didn't, just ask for a few moments to think about it then answer it. I had to do that for maybe 1-2 questions and that was fine for me. Don't take it super seriously, but make it more like an enjoyable conversation, really try to present yourself well during the interview time. Try to make yourself a likeable person and smile lots.

Other than that, my biggest advice would be to apply as early as you could. (I actually only got 1 interview invite this year which is from UDM. I think that may have been I finished my application a bit late. Everything was submitted to the schools in mid-Aug..)

Best of luck fellow Canadian friend! :)

Hi there,

I'm also a Canadian applicant who applied to UDM this year and was accepted. I was later on accepted by a Canadian school so I won't be attending UDM. However, I also have friends there and said many great things to me about UDM, so I think it's definitely a place worth going to study dentistry.

As for your stats, I would say you probably have more EC than I do based off of our description. I do have a higher GPA (3.93-3.95) and a slightly higher DAT score. I think reattempting DAT definitely is a good idea. Other than that, I would say really focus on your personal statement, make sure to give yourself sufficient time to write it, edit it and even ask your friends, family or other people to read it and give you suggestions. Once you receive your interview, I would say their interview is fairly laid back. The questions they ask you should be something you already have an answer to. Even if you didn't, just ask for a few moments to think about it then answer it. I had to do that for maybe 1-2 questions and that was fine for me. Don't take it super seriously, but make it more like an enjoyable conversation, really try to present yourself well during the interview time. Try to make yourself a likeable person and smile lots.

Other than that, my biggest advice would be to apply as early as you could. (I actually only got 1 interview invite this year which is from UDM. I think that may have been I finished my application a bit late. Everything was submitted to the schools in mid-Aug..)

Best of luck fellow Canadian friend! :)

Randomly stumbled on this post again, but for a really late reply, i took the american dat and finished with 23 aa/25 ts :) and have an interview at udm in 30 days, wish me luck lol. I'll also be re applying to western and UBC to see if i stand a chance haha.

Randomly stumbled on this post again, but for a really late reply, i took the american dat and finished with 23 aa/25 ts :) and have an interview at udm in 30 days, wish me luck lol. I'll also be re applying to western and UBC to see if i stand a chance haha.

Very impressive improvement, congratulations!