**** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Hey guys, has anyone heard anything off the waitlist? Is there any kind of movement ?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!

25aa 3.5 gpa

Anybody got a link to the fb page?
congrats man! This means theres still slight movement on the waitlist! Did they send you an e-mail asking for updated course grades before you were accepted?

congrats man! This means theres still slight movement on the waitlist! Did they send you an e-mail asking for updated course grades before you were accepted?

Nope. I'm two years out of school at this point

Got in today!!
Lmao, I was at work on Tuesday and missed the acceptance call. Looks like you're the one who got the spot! When I see you in class this year (if I get in) you have a giant wedgie coming your way

Lmao, I was at work on Tuesday and missed the acceptance call. Looks like you're the one who got the spot! When I see you in class this year (if I get in) you have a giant wedgie coming your way

Did you call them back? I don't think they would just continue down the list just because someone didn't answer the phone.

Did you call them back? I don't think they would just continue down the list just because someone didn't answer the phone.
Yeah they give you multiple days to accept the offer. An email was sent basically when we I was on the phone with him

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah they give you multiple days to accept the offer. An email was sent basically when we I was on the phone with him
Can't be true, at least this late, and at this time of year, because I called back within 3 hours and they said it was already given away to the next on the list :(

Got in today!!
Congrats!!!! Which phone number did Dr. Jeffers call you off of? Was it the 734 area code Ann Arbor one? Just the area code and first 3 digits. Lol I don't want the number I just want to make sure to answer if the call comes!!!!

Can't be true, at least this late, and at this time of year, because I called back within 3 hours and they said it was already given away to the next on the list :(

I had until friday to get them my deposit/respond to the email. Did they leave you a voicemail?? You must be right back in next of line I'd imagine.

Its a 734 number

Does anyone know if they can call you from another number with a Detroit area code?

Got in a few days ago! Second time's a charm as they say.

For those of you that are living in Windsor (i.e. Canadians), I need someone to room with. Anyone in the same situation please PM me!

Thanks!

25aa 3.5 gpa

Anybody got a link to the fb page?

Here's the link and Congrats
https://www.facebook.com/groups/428000194071802/

To Everyone else who got in. Congrats and Welcome to the family. I'm sure it was a long journey to get in and now you begin your first step in your new life. Hopefully you all find it as exciting as I did when I started.

To those who are re-applying: Don't stress. It took me 3 tries to get in and when I look back, I grew as person in those years between Undergrad and D-school and I'm glad I use my time to better myself and my application. Don't hesitate to PM regarding anything D-school related. Weather its advice on D-school apps or just someone to talk to, We at UDM are here to help you as friends and future colleagues

Good luck guys and gals

Just wondering if there are people who are accepted who are considering dropping there spots still??

Just wondering if there are people who are accepted who are considering dropping there spots still??
I just spoke with Carol on Friday (July 15th) and she told me that Dr. Jeffers had just accepted another student (from Canada I believe). I was accepted July 11th, so maybe you can get a sense of the time frame on waitlist movement.

I was told, and I recommend everyone else waiting do the same, to keep my phone on me AT ALL TIMES. If you don't pick up, they will move on to the next person on the list. Also, I was informed that there would be movement up until as late as orientation day on August 15th. So, there is always hope!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I just called the office today and they said that they give anyone who gets accepted 24 hours to answer back, they dont just go to the next person... They also said they havent called anyone in 2-3 weeks. Not really sure what's going on, there seems to be a real lack of consistency with the info they give us haha

I just called the office today and they said that they give anyone who gets accepted 24 hours to answer back, they dont just go to the next person... They also said they havent called anyone in 2-3 weeks. Not really sure what's going on, there seems to be a real lack of consistency with the info they give us haha
I can tell you that for a fact. I was called at 8:23 am and texted at 9:57 am, both on June 28th. I called back at 1:03 pm the same day. The person who picked up told me that I was supposed to call a long time ago and that the spot was given to the next student.

If there is miscommunication, then I'm unsure why. But trust me when I say, keep. That. Phone. On.

I can tell you that for a fact. I was called at 8:23 am and texted at 9:57 am, both on June 28th. I called back at 1:03 pm the same day. The person who picked up told me that I was supposed to call a long time ago and that the spot was given to the next student.

If there is miscommunication, then I'm unsure why. But trust me when I say, keep. That. Phone. On.
Oh I believe you! I'm just frustrated that many admissions offices (not just Detroit) give out very inconsistent info to people on the phone. It's hard to find the truth, and when we haven't heard from them in months it's frustrating to call every month and hear different things each time.

When is the first day of school in August? They said they call until the first day of classes so just wanna know when I should give up. Sigh.

Just randomly viewing this thread, but why did you get interviews and acceptances so late with that DAT?

Just randomly viewing this thread, but why did you get interviews and acceptances so late with that DAT?
Not understanding your question. Are you implying that my DAT score is low and should have been higher, or? I'm not sure why I was selected so late, but it probably had something to do with other things on my app.

Last edited:
When is the first day of school in August? They said they call until the first day of classes so just wanna know when I should give up. Sigh.
The first day of orientation week is Aug 15th.
The first day of class is Aug 22nd

I guess you managed to get your spot back even though they said the spot was given to the next person!

Not understanding your question. Are you implying that my DAT score is low and should have been higher, or? I'm not sure why I was selected so late, but it probably had something to do with other things on my app.

I meant your DAT score is good (above average). So was surprised.

Does UDM give a lot of financial aid?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
For Canadians, none. For Americans, I'm unsure, but I know it's possible to get an award for high achievement out of college. This award would be presented to you upon acceptance and is only given to a small number of people in the entering class.

Those of you that accepted an offer this late, how did you deal with finding a place to live, etc, etc...?

Those of you that accepted an offer this late, how did you deal with finding a place to live, etc, etc...?
I joined the Facebook group, scrolled through, found a spot offered, made contact, went to check the place, then put the deposit down. So pretty much found a place within 2 days

I joined the Facebook group, scrolled through, found a spot offered, made contact, went to check the place, then put the deposit down. So pretty much found a place within 2 days

Just wondering how long did it take you to get your visa to study in the states???

Just wondering how long did it take you to get your visa to study in the states???
It's actually really easy since Carol does all the paperwork for you. You just have to sign a paper and provide proof of financial aid throughout the year (I asked my bank to do this). She then informed me that once this was done and the I-20 forms were sent, it would take about 1 month before your official F-1 visa came back to you.

Hi! Not sure if any of y'all remember but some of us that received interview invitations (and confirmed) were asked to do supplemental essay questions and some of us weren't asked to do any essays. Why is this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know what day tuition is due??? Reason i'm asking is because I was told a few spots open up the day students need to pay

Does anyone know what day tuition is due??? Reason i'm asking is because I was told a few spots open up the day students need to pay
Just curious, who did you hear this from? A friend? Or someone from the admissions office?

Just curious, who did you hear this from? A friend? Or someone from the admissions office?
No one from the admissions office will ever say that, simply because they can't know for a fact.

That being said, some people do put down multiple deposits while deciding, or hold one until they realize that they can't take out a large enough loan or that dental school may not be what they wanted after all. This loan thing is especially true UDM since a lot of Canadians go there, and we often times have trouble finding cosigners that can front such a large amount (especially with the declining exchange rate).

But in the end, who really knows.

Reactions: 1 users
It would be awesome to get an acceptance call soon :)

Hey guys! I'm currently a D1 at the school. I'm so excited for you all, as I was just in your shoes a year ago. Best of luck on your interviews!! As time permits, I can try to answer any questions you may have if you PM me. Good luck again!!

Does anyone know when you start clinicals? I was looking at the website and I got the idea that it might be starting 3rd year? Also, what is UDM known for that I can talk about during an interview?

Hello everyone. I have an interview coming up and I am curious to know about UDMs interview process. From what I heard so far is its 1 on 1, open file. Curious to know what kind of questions they ask during the interview? Thanks so much in advance!

Hi,
I applied to UDM dental school this current cycle, with my application being received by the school by the end of June. UDM does not update their portal status from "Received/Waiting Additional Information". However, a couple months later, at the start of this month they updated my portal status to "Received/Under Review" and I am wondering if any past applications know if there is any significance in this update, since UDM has expressed that they don't use that update.

Hello, All,

I have an interview scheduled at UDM, and I was hoping to hear what current students like best about UDM? Would anyone be willing to point me in a direction to learn more about what makes UDM a special place? Thank you in advance! :)

My best advice is try to relax and be yourself. They like authentic answers and if you're just saying what you think they want to hear I think that's pretty obvious. But if you go in relaxed and be yourself you'll be fine. As far as what questions. Be prepared for the typical why do you want to be a dentist? Why would you like UDM? (That question shows you've actually looked into UDM as to why it would be a good fit for you)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app