***The official Rutgers class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Anybody know what the specialty match rate for Rutgers is? I know they said it in the interview just don't remember what it was.

Members don't see this ad.

You can email and ask one of the student emails. They gave us like 8 emails in the folder.

Anybody know what the specialty match rate for Rutgers is? I know they said it in the interview just don't remember what it was.

It was really high from what i remember.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It was really high from what i remember.
That's what I thought, like 90% or so (into first choice).
Doesn't this (and high numbers from other state schools) show that going to an Ivy League doesn't actually make it easier to specialize, just that the students that go there are those that are more likely to? I know this is a long standing debate here. Am I missing something or do these numbers prove it?

Reactions: 2 users
That's what I thought, like 90% or so (into first choice).
Doesn't this (and high numbers from other state schools) show that going to an Ivy League doesn't actually make it easier to specialize, just that the students that go there are those that are more likely to? I know this is a long standing debate here. Am I missing something or do these numbers prove it?
You're totally correct. I believe that Ivy Leagues provide a significant advantage for post-undergrad employment, but this is Dental School. Every school is extremely selective and prestigious, but most importantly, will provide access to any specialty your heart desires if you're willing to work hard and succeed.

You're totally correct. I believe that Ivy Leagues provide a significant advantage for post-undergrad employment, but this is Dental School. Every school is extremely selective and prestigious, but most importantly, will provide access to any specialty your heart desires if you're willing to work hard and succeed.
What do you mean by that? How so?

What do you mean by that? How so?
In my anecdotal experience, (I attended a large state school, yet had plenty of friends in Penn and Princeton) students from more prestigious schools have an easier time getting jobs in major Wall Street and Silicon Valley corporations. Students from these schools are actively recruited by top firms while students from my school have to actively pursue and push these same firms to obtain employment and are usually unsuccessful in doing so.

In my anecdotal experience, (I attended a large state school, yet had plenty of friends in Penn and Princeton) students from more prestigious schools have an easier time getting jobs in major Wall Street and Silicon Valley corporations. Students from these schools are actively recruited by top firms while students from my school have to actively pursue and push these same firms to obtain employment and are usually unsuccessful in doing so.
Thanks. But that consideration doesn't apply for dental school, right (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "but this is Dental School")?

Thanks. But that consideration doesn't apply for dental school, right (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "but this is Dental School")?
Yeah, that was my point. Since this is dental school, where every student has proven their salt, the motivated students from all schools desiring a post-doc residency will usually be met with happy results. Therefore, it's hard to justify the extra cost for an Ivy League.

Of course, a person looking to specialize and willing to put in the time and work can specialize from any DS but there's no doubt that you're chances are better if you're coming from an Ivy League institution (as in if the same resume comes from 2 diff schools, the one coming from the Ivy is going to get priority over the one who's at a "less respected" institution). I think anyone who says there isn't a bias with the name of school you're coming from is misguided. But if you're looking to do a GPR than the school won't matter as much and one shouldn't have trouble getting matched (hopefully!).

I received the acceptance on Dec 1. I am very excited about this, but don't like the area much cuz i have been told it is a high crime area. I remember they said there is on campus housing for dental students, but not quite sure i remember it correctly. Can anyone give more details about it please? thanks
Just curious, how is going to rutgers for dentistry?

I received the acceptance on Dec 1. I am very excited about this, but don't like the area much cuz i have been told it is a high crime area. I remember they said there is on campus housing for dental students, but not quite sure i remember it correctly. Can anyone give more details about it please? thanks

The area is bad, but if you are cautious you will be fine.. as a school, it is great for dentistry from its clinical experience and large patient pools. It also has high residency acceptance rates, so yes it is definitely a great school for dentistry.

On campus would be a bit more expensive. Next as long as you aren't wandering around in the middle of the night you are fine. The area around the dental school is perfectly fine. Theres about 3-4 other campuses around.

Members don't see this ad :)
On campus would be a bit more expensive. Next as long as you aren't wandering around in the middle of the night you are fine. The area around the dental school is perfectly fine. Theres about 3-4 other campuses around.
thanks for the information and congratz on your acceptances.

The area is bad, but if you are cautious you will be fine.. as a school, it is great for dentistry from its clinical experience and large patient pools. It also has high residency acceptance rates, so yes it is definitely a great school for dentistry.
i am pretty sure it is a great school for dentistry

Reactions: 1 users
Get HYPEDDDDD

Just received an interview invite this morning, but I probably will be declining it. My app is verified on 8/19

Does AADSAS change the status from Offer Made to Offer Accepted when you paid the deposit?

Does AADSAS change the status from Offer Made to Offer Accepted when you paid the deposit?
Yes, my status is now "Offer Accepted"

I've been trying to call the admissions office this week, but I keep getting the machine, even during office hours. Anyone know when the office is off for holiday?

I've been trying to call the admissions office this week, but I keep getting the machine, even during office hours. Anyone know when the office is off for holiday?

They are closed til January 3rd. I would just email or leave a message to get in contact with them.

Need some advice from someone who attends Rutgers or knows about the school. I’m deciding between Rutgers and Nova. :shrug::eek: I’m a FL resident, but I fell in love with the school Rutgers. It was my impression that they have a good clinical exposure for students. It’s a little cheaper than Nova, though not a lot. Still, cost is not the biggest factor with this decision, if the difference is less than 100k. I want to attend the school that will prepare me the most. I’ve heard that Rutgers has high clinical requirements. Since it’s in a well populated, and underserved population, I imagine that increases the patient pool available. At Rutgers you have 5 days per week in the clinic, while I’ve heard that in Nova you have only 2 days per week because there are less chairs for the dental students.

Does anyone have any more insight about Rutgers that could help me with my decision?
I’d greatly appreciate it. I have to pay Nova deposit by January 3 if I plan on attending. Thank You.

You get IS after first year, so Rutgers is a lot cheaper than NOVA. If you took out full loans OOS it comes out to 330k after switching residency. You cut out costs and only pay 300k or lower. NOVA is 400k without a chance to lower the amount. So it could be 70k-100k difference before interest. That balloons to 100-150k after interest is done

But if you live at home for NOVA then yes the cost would be similar. In that case since your family is closer to you in FL I would stay there.

Need some advice from someone who attends Rutgers or knows about the school. I’m deciding between Rutgers and Nova. :shrug::eek: I’m a FL resident, but I fell in love with the school Rutgers. It was my impression that they have a good clinical exposure for students. It’s a little cheaper than Nova, though not a lot. Still, cost is not the biggest factor with this decision, if the difference is less than 100k. I want to attend the school that will prepare me the most. I’ve heard that Rutgers has high clinical requirements. Since it’s in a well populated, and underserved population, I imagine that increases the patient pool available. At Rutgers you have 5 days per week in the clinic, while I’ve heard that in Nova you have only 2 days per week because there are less chairs for the dental students.

Does anyone have any more insight about Rutgers that could help me with my decision?
I’d greatly appreciate it. I have to pay Nova deposit by January 3 if I plan on attending. Thank You.

If you want to be better prepared choose Rutgers. Only if you don't mind moving to Jersey lol

You get IS after first year, so Rutgers is a lot cheaper than NOVA. If you took out full loans OOS it comes out to 330k after switching residency. You cut out costs and only pay 300k or lower. NOVA is 400k without a chance to lower the amount. So it could be 70k-100k difference before interest. That balloons to 100-150k after interest is done

But if you live at home for NOVA then yes the cost would be similar. In that case since your family is closer to you in FL I would stay there.

Thank You! If I stay in Nova, I would actually have to rent an apartment near the school, because I live 45 minutes away, and the traffic from Miami to Fort Lauderdale at 7 AM could take me 2 hours to get there lol. I'd do that at least for the 1st and 2nd year. So then, Rutgers would be cheaper, by a lot. In that case, since Rutgers prepares students so well with high clinical requirements and provides us the opportunity, it's a better school all around. And the patient pool in Newark must be greater than in Fort Lauderdale, because people have lower income and can't really afford the prices in a private practice. In my opinion...

Thank you guys so much! We'll be classmates! :love::highfive: :rolleyes:
@Likkriue Have you decided on attending Rutgers too?​

What the ... I received an interview invitation from Rutgers this afternoon around 3 PM Eastern. My happiness is clouded by confusion though because I have low-ish stats and my last communication from them regarding my application was July 1st of last year, so I've had complete silence from them for 6 months straight. Then out of the blue they contact me? Feels odd, but either way, I'll take it! It's for next Friday.

Reactions: 3 users
What the ... I received an interview invitation from Rutgers this afternoon around 3 PM Eastern. My happiness is clouded by confusion though because I have low-ish stats and my last communication from them regarding my application was July 1st of last year, so I've had complete silence from them for 6 months straight. Then out of the blue they contact me? Feels odd, but either way, I'll take it! It's for next Friday.

Awesome!! Goodluck. If you have any questions about their Interview process don't hesitate to message me.

Congrats!! That's so exciting. You deserve it more than you might think right now. Be confident and kill the interview.

Awesome!! Goodluck. If you have any questions about their Interview process don't hesitate to message me.

Congrats!! That's so exciting. You deserve it more than you might think right now. Be confident and kill the interview.

Thanks, guys! Doesn't feel real. I'll be sure to throw some questions your way when I get the chance to actually think and absorb this news ...

And Likky, Stony Brook? I thought you were set on Rutgers?

Thanks, guys! Doesn't feel real. I'll be sure to throw some questions your way when I get the chance to actually think and absorb this news ...

And Likky, Stony Brook? I thought you were set on Rutgers?

I just got accepted to stony and after a long deliberation I decided stony was better for me.

I just got accepted to stony and after a long deliberation I decided stony was better for me.

NOOO PLSSS join us at Rutgers!!

Lol jk, stony brook is amazing too. Good luck!

Interview invite :heckyeah:

Thought I didn't stand a chance with Rutgers back in August, but sometimes those "lets see what happens" applications pay off.

Reactions: 3 users
Interview invite :heckyeah:

Thought I didn't stand a chance with Rutgers back in August, but sometimes those "lets see what happens" applications pay off.
:highfive:

Awesome to hear! PM me if you have any questions. Happy to help out. :)

Interview invite for 1/20.
Anyone know how many seats are left?

Interview invite for 1/20.
Anyone know how many seats are left?

I interviewed today and Dr. Chaviano told us that all 90 seats have been filled at this time. But she wanted to stress that people do drop their acceptances since they may choose another school, so there could be movement on the wait list.

I interviewed today and Dr. Chaviano told us that all 90 seats have been filled at this time. But she wanted to stress that people do drop their acceptances since they may choose another school, so there could be movement on the wait list.

How many people were in your group?

How many people were in your group?

It was larger than I expected! There were like 20 of us there it seems, enough to fill all the chairs in that conference room where they present and have your breakfast spread laid out.

Womp womp.

I believe plenty. By Feb more people who have multiple acceptances will have to make a choice.

That's my thought too. It's a bummer because I was really impressed by the school :( How much movement could there possibly be??

As a state school I wouldn't think it gets too much movement...though you can't get in unless you interview so you gotta keep hope alive :)

I believe plenty. By Feb more people who have multiple acceptances will have to make a choice.

I really hope so!

As a state school I wouldn't think it gets too much movement...though you can't get in unless you interview so you gotta keep hope alive :)

Exactly. And that's true, at least there's a sliver of a chance. Can't do much now and just let fate do it's work.

Did anyone check out the dress code yet?

Last edited: