***The Official NYU Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

When were you waitlisted?

You waitlisted here too? I'm rooting for you @Mboy! Don't give up! Send a letter of intent! NYU likes to hear from waitlisted applicants! I know this from two friends who are D2's at the school who got off the waitlist with a well written letter

Thanks for always posting updates guys. Here is mine. Interview March 6th, wait listed March 8th. Off the wait list March 30th.

Members don't see this ad :)
You waitlisted here too? I'm rooting for you @Mboy! Don't give up! Send a letter of intent! NYU likes to hear from waitlisted applicants! I know this from two friends who are D2's at the school who got off the waitlist with a well written letter
I'm emailing every week and I was waitliseted on February 16

Thanks for always posting updates guys. Here is mine. Interview March 6th, wait listed March 8th. Off the wait list March 30th.
What did you do after ur waitlist? Just email

I gave thank you letters to my interviewer, counselor, and Mejia, but idk if I'd call them "well written" (ie. they weren't long and detailed). The one to my counselor was kind of a LOI though? Probably should have made Mejia's longer. I only just got waitlisted.

I heard Mejia sometimes responds to thank you emails? I'm kind of nervous that Mejia is going to call me and ask a bunch of probing questions. I've never heard of anyone who got asked questions over the phone get rejected. They always seem to get asked questions and then get accepted. :hungover:

I gave thank you letters to my interviewer, counselor, and Mejia, but idk if I'd call them "well written" (ie. they weren't long and detailed). The one to my counselor was kind of a LOI though? Probably should have made Mejia's longer. I only just got waitlisted.

I heard Mejia sometimes responds to thank you emails? I'm kind of nervous that Mejia is going to call me and ask a bunch of probing questions. I've never heard of anyone who got asked questions over the phone get rejected. They always seem to get asked questions and then get accepted. :hungover:
I have last year. It was very late into the cycle though, August. Dr. Mejia called me if I could make it in less than a week to attend mandatory orientation. My answers were all yes but they were just looking at two potential seats opening up but it never became available.

I was also rejected this morning

OOS
oGPA: 3.85
sGPA: 3.82
BCP: 3.93

20 PAT/22 AA/23 TS

160 shadowing hours
400 volunteer hours
315 hours of research in 3 semesters
1 publication
Minor EC's

....I really would have liked to go to NYU too:(
maybe NYU does yield protection?

Just withdrew my application; best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also accepted to MWU-IL and NYU among others. I chose NYU for obvious reasons - academically established, strong research opportunities, real premise for specialization, and community. I chose against MWU because it's almost exactly the same cost (with the exception of living - however, if you're cautious about costs, you can make it in NY), NYU is a well established institution, and the city is a plus too. It was a pretty straightforward decision for me (I'm a local to Chicago but even then, studying away from home was a difficult decision when it came to NYU.)

Edit: also patient base is huge. When visiting MWU-IL clinic, there were very few patients. That's because it's located ~25 minutes outside the city in a relatively decent neighborhood where people can afford having a family dentist. NYU is central to a lot of different neighborhoods that can accept patients in need. There weren't many seats at NYU that weren't filled with a patient - you'll generally see a wider range of dental needs with patients at NYU. In terms of patient exposure, both NYU and MWU-IL introduce you to patients around the same time so the sim labs are pretty consistent across the board. Class size wasn't a serious concern for me. I went to a large school where you can seek personal attention if you're motivated, and I know NYU splits it's class into two groups essentially being around the same size at MWU-IL.

Sorry for the long response!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I thought MWU-Il is a bit cheaper, but even Louisville? Isn't OOS Louisville like 100k cheaper? That's some NYUCD love!

I thought MWU-Il is a bit cheaper, but even Louisville? Isn't OOS Louisville like 100k cheaper? That's some NYUCD love!
No matter how many times I calculated, the tuition and fees for MWU-Il is high enough to counter the reduced cost of living in the suburbs of the Chicago metro. As a result, both schools' 4 year cost of attendance is approximately the same.

Tuition for MWU-IL, NYUCD, and ULSD is 72k, 72k and 68k. So tuition (base) is all really similar but what the schools have to offer is very different.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Have to stand for NYUCD, you pay what you will get.

Reactions: 1 user
I received an email from NYU today asking if I'm still interested (I'm on the waitlist). Has anyone else gotten this email?

This could be a little off the topic but anyone know how much a monthly rent for 3 in stuytown or waterside?

Last edited:
This could be a little off the topic but anyone know how much a monthly rent for 3 in stuytown or waterside?
You can look into housing tab on NYUCD website. You can find links to those places with rent rates.

Btw, did you do anything special after you got waitliseted?
Just emailed my two interviewers and Dr. Mejia and send one academic update. No idea what the email about interest means but maybe youll get one today

Just emailed my two interviewers and Dr. Mejia and send one academic update. No idea what the email about interest means but maybe youll get one today
Hopefully

Hey guys,

I wanted to e-mail one of my interviewers, the one on the admissions committee, but I totally forgot to catch her name. Any way we can find a list of members on the committee?

Thanks!

Hi! I was accepted off the waitlist this morning. Got the update email yesterday at noonish and had an adcom call me today at 9AM.

Congrats! I'm so jelly. Was that 9AM EDT? Did the person ask you questions before telling you that you were in? Or was it just "you're in."

Hi! I was accepted off the waitlist this morning. Got the update email yesterday at noonish and had an adcom call me today at 9AM.

How much time do they give you before you have to make a decision and put down a deposit?

Congrats! I'm so jelly. Was that 9AM EDT? Did the person ask you questions before telling you that you were in? Or was it just "you're in."

Thank you so much, I'm so excited to go! Pacific time, so around noon eastern. He started off by saying he had questions about my application and wanted to ask for updates, then asked if I would have trouble relocating and how my status was at different schools/if I was waiting for other decisions/if I had interviewed other places, etc. And then he finally asked me if paying the deposit would be an issue. I hope you hear back soon! <3

How much time do they give you before you have to make a decision and put down a deposit?
Until April 13 so a week!

Should I get MacBook or Surface Pro 4 for the required laptop?
For price sake, get a 2012 macbook pro and then change SSD, 16 RAM, and add 1TB SSHD for second hard drive for extra storage. It will be the fastest and most reliable thing you can pay that price. But if you really like the new style then go for it. Haha.

Congrats! Did you receive a confirmation e-mail after you responded to the update e-mail?

Congrats! Did you receive a confirmation e-mail after you responded to the update e-mail?

Thank you!! Yeah, they emailed me back in the morning and said "

Thank you for your message and for your continued interest. I have added the response to your file and will let the committee know. Let us know if you have any further questions and please keep in touch!"

Hope you hear back soon!

Dropped my seat here this morning, hope one of y'all get it good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when we should start applying to jobs as dentists while we're in dental school? During our last year or right after we graduate ?

I will be dropping my seat here, hope one of you gets it!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when we should start applying to jobs as dentists while we're in dental school? During our last year or right after we graduate ?
That's not something to worry about now. One step at a time and it will all come together :)

What laptops are you planning to get for this school?

Does anyone know if there is a dress code here?