NYU College of Dentistry Class of 2027 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Holy cow.. That a serious finacial burden. The total educational expenses are practically identical between NYU and Roseman per year - Roseman is $108k but for 3 years.

Do living expenses really cost $43k in NY or are you able to cut that down a bit?
Because Roseman estimates living expenses to be around $38k, but my housing cost will be $700 (3 bedroom apartment - $2,000 in total for rent) + $800 for food, personal, & car costs. So $1,500 x 12 = $18k living cost - practically 50% of Roseman's estimated costs.
You're living in Manhattan, which is much more expensive than Jordan Utah, in my interview I was told rent for one person could be like 2k+ a month easy for a one-bedroom depending on where you live. The school has to provide enough money for a single person to live in a one-bedroom apt. You can certainly live with others which would cut the costs down as you have done too, and NYU recommends that as well.

UMN estimates my living expenses to be 28k a year, which is about right. If you lived in a frat near the campus you could probably cut the cost in half. I'm not sure if NYU offers something similar, but I doubt it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You're living in Manhattan, which is much more expensive than Jordan Utah, in my interview I was told rent for one person could be like 2k+ a month easy for a one-bedroom depending on where you live. The school has to provide enough money for a single person to live in a one-bedroom apt. You can certainly live with others which would cut the costs down as you have done too, and NYU recommends that as well.

UMN estimates my living expenses to be 28k a year, which is about right. If you lived in a frat near the campus you could probably cut the cost in half. I'm not sure if NYU offers something similar, but I doubt it
That's crazy; yeah in South Jordan, rent will be around $1,600ish for a 1-bed - not sure why the 3 bedrooms are so inexpensive. I know if you live at 1 of the dental frats in Minnesota, rent is around $250 a month!

That's crazy; yeah in South Jordan, rent will be around $1,600ish for a 1-bed - not sure why the 3 bedrooms are so inexpensive. I know if you live at 1 of the dental frats in Minnesota, rent is around $250 a month!
Yep! Though I’m doing a 2 bed 2 bath (in Minneapolis) — will be about 1k a month so not bad

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not bad at all, pretty similar to me
took a little bit of soul searching but I think it's a pretty good deal, it's not the closest place to school but its close enough that I can walk, probably the largest 2b2b squarefoot wise. Some places wanted 1600/month for 450 sqft, I didn't want to live in a closet! Though I'll probably be at school more than at my apartment lmao

took a little bit of soul searching but I think it's a pretty good deal, it's not the closest place to school but its close enough that I can walk, probably the largest 2b2b squarefoot wise. Some places wanted 1600/month for 450 sqft, I didn't want to live in a closet! Though I'll probably be at school more than at my apartment lmao
That's super nice! Yeah I've been in the hub apartments and for a 1-bed it's 450 sqft 2 beds are 750 sqft lol. You might be at school less than you think. I know a lot of dental students at the UofM who just watch the courses online and show up for the labs & exams.

Still Waitlisted since 12/15, no phone call, received questionnaire, sent LOI. Doesn’t feel like I bombed the interview but who knows haha

Still Waitlisted since 12/15, no phone call, received questionnaire, sent LOI. Doesn’t feel like I bombed the interview but who knows haha

Bro literally the same thing here except i interviewed 2/17 and waitlisted 2/22 and I haven’t sent my LOi yet. My interview literally couldn’t have gone better, she was literally praising me the whole time, telling me I was gonna be their valedictorian . Then I had my heart broken 5 days later

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an acceptance an hour ago, interviewed on March 21. Canadian applicant, waiting on another school mainly because of cost. Also, is there a way to apply for scholarships or do they consider you while reviewing your application?

Got an acceptance an hour ago, interviewed on March 21. Canadian applicant, waiting on another school mainly because of cost. Also, is there a way to apply for scholarships or do they consider you while reviewing your application?

They consider you while reviewing your app, there maybe some scholarships outside tho

Were you waitlisted ?

Was the scholarship provided in the acceptance letter?
No, NYU gave me a scholarship one month after I accepted the offer, lol. I don't know what is going on.

Is it, in most cases, a scholarship comes with the offer (at the same time)?

No, NYU gave me a scholarship one month after I accepted the offer, lol. I don't know what is going on.

Is it, in most cases, a scholarship comes with the offer (at the same time)?
Ohh wow, that's nice though!

I'm not sure whether it comes with the offer, I'm a Canadian applicant so I was hoping to know whether I have been offered one before accepting the offer. I would consider committing if there was a scholarship involved LOL

Is the interview process continuing? I saw last year's trend and there were students receiving interviews in the month of April.

Ohh wow, that's nice though!

I'm not sure whether it comes with the offer, I'm a Canadian applicant so I was hoping to know whether I have been offered one before accepting the offer. I would consider committing if there was a scholarship involved LOL
From what I heard, (not sure if this is true), usually scholarship comes with the offer. However, in my case, one month after I accepted the offer/ paid the 5000 dollar deposits, NYU gave me a 15000 annual scholarship. One thing I do know for sure, the scholarship is merit-based, which means that if your stats or DAT is higher or at least equal to mine, you will most likely get a scholarship. I think this is a reasonable way to estimate whether NYU will give you a scholarship in the future.

I can definitely help you with that. Feel free to message me for stats if you feel comfortable.

does it put you at a disadvantage as an applicant if you’ve applied 3x
it would depend, have you been working on your application after applying? Or just reapplying with no new experiences. Reapplicants are held to higher standards than first-time applicants, so you need to show adcoms you have been improving your application (better DAT scores, Postbacc to improve GPA, more volunteer/research experience, better LORs, more work experience, etc...)

From what I heard, (not sure if this is true), usually scholarship comes with the offer. However, in my case, one month after I accepted the offer/ paid the 5000 dollar deposits, NYU gave me a 15000 annual scholarship. One thing I do know for sure, the scholarship is merit-based, which means that if your stats or DAT is higher or at least equal to mine, you will most likely get a scholarship. I think this is a reasonable way to estimate whether NYU will give you a scholarship in the future.

I can definitely help you with that. Feel free to message me for stats if you feel comfortable.
Ohh thank you for letting me know! May I DM you to ask about your stats?

Hey do you recommend affordable place near the school to live in
I know a lot of current students live in either Waterside Plaza or Stuytown. Both are pretty close to school and with multiple roommates, can be affordable. You could probably find cheaper a little farther way but it just depends on what you value more, close to school or cheaper price.

I know a lot of current students live in either Waterside Plaza or Stuytown. Both are pretty close to school and with multiple roommates, can be affordable. You could probably find cheaper a little farther way but it just depends on what you value more, close to school or cheaper price.
Do you know any students that rent a 1-bedroom together to save money? Bunk beds lol

Do you know any students that rent a 1-bedroom together to save money? Bunk beds lol
That is totally possible! I am willing to bunk bed with someone to save money. OncePreDent, feel free to DM me if want sb to bunk bed together.

That is totally possible! I am willing to bunk bed with someone to save money. OncePreDent, feel free to DM me if want sb to bunk bed together.
I think it's a great idea! I am going to Roseman for Dschool, but I would for sure be looking for a bunk bed roomie or a few if I went to NYU lol. It would be a lot of fun to have a 2 bed 2 bath with 4 people, saves a lot of money too!

I personally don’t know anyone in this situation, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. I know some people will rent a flexed room (a non bedroom room turned into a bedroom). One of my roommates has actually rented out my living room to help cut back on costs.

• Love
For those who have interviewed already, was it casual or professional? Is the post interview just speaking with an administrations representative discussing how it went with the faculty? And has anyone found any online interview questions that are similar?

For those who have interviewed already, was it casual or professional? Is the post interview just speaking with an administrations representative discussing how it went with the faculty? And has anyone found any online interview questions that are similar?
its a mix of both casual and professional. it started out professional and slowly worked its way to a more casual conversation after opening up the convo. I would be relaxed and just answer the questions to the best that you can. Know your app very well and be able to explain each experience. The post-interview is asking how the faculty interview went and also making sure your prereqs are correct and meet their requirements.

Unsure about the online questions, I didn't look at them before. It's a very laid back interview, I really wouldn't stress too much about it. They're very nice!

Reactions: 1 users