***The Official Midwestern-Illinois Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.

davdango

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
PREVIOUS THREADS:
Class of 2022 Thread
Class of 2021 Thread

Hello! I'm an incoming D1 who is super excited to start school. :welcome:

Please feel free to discuss and remember to be courteous. PM me if you need extra help.

Best of luck! :D

Link to interview prep: Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Illinois Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

*edited by staff to include link to interview feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I am really excited about applying here. Has anyone gotten a feel for how things are going with the new faculty and how the revamping of the program is going?

**Edit also when did you all hear from the school about application review/ interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am really excited about applying here. Has anyone gotten a feel for how things are going with the new faculty and how the revamping of the program is going?

**Edit also when did you all hear from the school about application review/ interview?

Good to hear! I heard from a current D1 (soon to be D2) that the faculty care about you and want you to succeed. Both MWUs are known for their caring faculty in general and it shows during the interview. A new dean was recently appointed and I heard from the Deans/admissions office that there are some new changes in progress. The NBDE is changing in the upcoming year as well. Class of 2022 will be experiencing new things but I don't know all the specific details right now. If interested, you could call the school offices for more information! (Interacting with the faculty is usually seen as a positive thing.)

I remember there was a supplemental with essay and application complete notification. I completed mine late last June. Based on last year's thread, interview invites are sent starting September. My interview invitation came last October and I interviewed last November.

Just takes some time, good luck! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! Incoming D1 this year! Feel free to message me any questions about the app, interviews, etc. and I’m more than happy to respond while I slowly count down the days to orientation. GOOD LUCK TO ALL

Also I didn’t have an interview until the end of Feb. and acceptance March 2nd. Since the class size is pretty big the post-December people have excellent chances at acceptance as well.

Reactions: 2 users
What makes this school stand out from the rest?

The new facilities, the equipment they have, all of the students said faculty was amazing, no specialty programs so you will see a wide variety of advanced cases.. and also pricier lol but for me it’s worth it b/c I’m staying w/ parents so my cost of living is low.

The new facilities, the equipment they have, all of the students said faculty was amazing, no specialty programs so you will see a wide variety of advanced cases.. and also pricier lol but for me it’s worth it b/c I’m staying w/ parents so my cost of living is low.
Thank you! and Good luck to you

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard anything back? When do they send out interviews normally?

Has anyone heard anything back? When do they send out interviews normally?
I haven't heard anything from them yet, but it looks like they didn't start offering interviews until the very end of August last year, so we may have some time yet to wait.

Got an invite today!
Dates available to me: 9/11, 9/12, 9/13, 9/18... I guess they're going to have a busy week lol. So excited!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just wondering what are your stats if you don’t mind?
oGPA: 3.93 sGPA: 3.95
20AA/19TS/27PAT/23RC...
But I'm also about to take my retake in the next couple weeks. I was kinda shocked because everyone says schools won't consider your app until your new scores are in but I took the chance and submitted first week of july anyways.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
20AA/19TS/27PAT/23RC...
But I'm also about to take my retake in the next couple weeks. I was kinda shocked because everyone says schools won't consider your app until your new scores are in but I took the chance and submitted first week of july anyways.

That is really only true if your scores aren't good enough to get an interview. Your current scores are good enough to get an interview at MWU-Illinois and probably a number of other schools.

That is really only true if your scores aren't good enough to get an interview. Your current scores are good enough to get an interview at MWU-Illinois and probably a number of other schools.
Okay, yeah that makes sense. I suppose I was just psyching myself out and preparing for the worst. I think SDN is both a blessing and a curse during this entire process.

20AA/19TS/27PAT/23RC...

When did you have everything submitted?

Got an invite today!
Dates available to me: 9/11, 9/12, 9/13, 9/18... I guess they're going to have a busy week lol. So excited!
Congrats and good luck!!! Message me if you have questions about the interview process

Congrats and good luck!!! Message me if you have questions about the interview process
hey, i tried messaging you about the interview process/ how to prepare/ what to expect etc. if you don't mind shining some light on it, please PM me , thank you

Interview #1
School:
Midwestern University Illinois
Notification date: 8-13-2018
Method of notification: Email
Residency: Indiana
AADSAS mail-out date: 6-20-2018
Application complete date: 7-20-2018 (due to DAT being taken on 7/5)
GPA (science, overall): 3.88, 3.92
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/23/ QR 17
Dates available OR your interview date: lots of dates available T/W/Th in September

Interview #1
School:
Midwestern University Illinois
Notification date: 8-13-2018
Method of notification: Email
Residency: Indiana
Application complete date: 6-10-18
GPA (science, overall): 3.71, 3.83
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/): 24/22/25

Does an interview invite to one of the MWU campuses affect your chances of an invite to the other MWU campus? Has anyone been invited to interview at both MWU-IL and MWU-AZ?

Does an interview invite to one of the MWU campuses affect your chances of an invite to the other MWU campus? Has anyone been invited to interview at both MWU-IL and MWU-AZ?
I've been invited to both. While they share the same name, they are two different schools!

Both schools offer interviews and acceptances independently of one another. I was invited to both.

What is the interview process like? I know it’s MMI but can you be more specific? How many MMI questions, how long, what other components of the interview are there?
Thanks!

Got invited for an interview!
Going up October 4th!

sGPA: 3.99
cumGPA: 3.96
DAT: 22 AA/21 TS/21 OC/21 GC/21 BIO/ 22 RC/23 QR/30 PAT

Hope to see some of you there!

What is the interview process like? I know it’s MMI but can you be more specific? How many MMI questions, how long, what other components of the interview are there?
Thanks!
There are about 8 MMI stations and you get around 7 minutes at each station. There are no other components except maybe judging your professionalism that day

Hi everyone,
I’m about to finish my first week as a D1 !! Just wanted to let you guys know about program changes. Basically their goal is to make us the best in the profession. They have raised passing to 83% because they want everyone to strive for excellence instead of the minimum. Also we are more involved with the faculty. We have huddles at the beginning and the end of DENT lab to discuss tips and our struggles and our learning experience. They are also integrating more advanced training like molar endo, ortho, and implants. They are definitely stepping it up and pushing us hard. But I love it

So we had two people drop out of the class.... and sadly no one from the waiting list can get added since it was after the deadline. So two spots in have been wasted. I just want to emphasize how much your heart and mind need to be invested into this profession to complete this program. Don’t just do it cause your parents want you to or cause you couldn’t get into medicine. Make sure that dentistry is really what you want to do and can’t dream of doing anything else. Bring that out into your interviews and you will rock them.

So we had two people drop out of the class.... and sadly no one from the waiting list can get added since it was after the deadline. So two spots in have been wasted. I just want to emphasize how much your heart and mind need to be invested into this profession to complete this program. Don’t just do it cause your parents want you to or cause you couldn’t get into medicine. Make sure that dentistry is really what you want to do and can’t dream of doing anything else. Bring that out into your interviews and you will rock them.

Did they drop out after already completing a year? or was it cause they got accepted elsewhere?

Did they drop out after already completing a year? or was it cause they got accepted elsewhere?
No they simply withdrew from the program after our first official week. I don't think they were accepted into any other dental programs... could be they left to pursue another degree. Point is two wasted spots that could have gone to people that really wanted and would have appreciated them.

Will rescheduling my interview date through the Midwestern portal reflect poorly on me? I could choose a better interview date to better fit my schedule. The interview date I have right now will cause me to miss an exam.

Will rescheduling my interview date through the Midwestern portal reflect poorly on me? I could choose a better interview date to better fit my schedule. The interview date I have right now will cause me to miss an exam.
No not at all! I had to R/S mine b/c it coincided with the only available interview at UIC. Just make sure you do it sooner rather than later.

There are about 8 MMI stations and you get around 7 minutes at each station. There are no other components except maybe judging your professionalism that day

Hi, I've never had an MMI interview, I wasn't even aware some dental schools used this format. Could you give a little overview of go the format goes? Like are all the questions hypothetical scenario questions or do they also ask the typical interview questions? And for scenario questions, are you given time to prepare an answer? Thanks!

Hey Guys, current D1 here! So I spoke with a few students who interviewed yesterday. I explained anything and everything they needed to know for dental school and all that good stuff. if you have any questions just Pm me or just reply!

Hey Guys, current D1 here! So I spoke with a few students who interviewed yesterday. I explained anything and everything they needed to know for dental school and all that good stuff. if you have any questions just Pm me or just reply!

Hello! Do you know if Midwestern has sent out all of their pre-December interview invites?

Hello! Do you know if Midwestern has sent out all of their pre-December interview invites?
Hey sorry about the late reply. They have not sent out all of them yet. they tend to send the last of them in mid october

Hello does anybody know the schedule for the interview? What time does it end so I can book my leaving flight accordingly. Thank you.

Hello does anybody know the schedule for the interview? What time does it end so I can book my leaving flight accordingly. Thank you.
Depends what time you go. But everything ends at 4 pm if you are the last one.

Applied 7/5
GPA: 3.70/3.62 SCI
DAT: 23AA/23TS
Interview Invite Received 9/17
Have't picked an interview date yet but they offered me a few dates from Oct 9-17. Waiting for the week after because it coincides with another interview.

Hey....congrats?

Do you mind posting when your application was complete and your residency?

Also, did they send you an email or did you just see the invite in your portal?

(Thanks! :))
Submitted 7/12, from Michigan, sent via email.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone. I am a re-applicant this cycle and I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to improve my application. If anyone was a re-applicant and got accepted then their advice would really mean a lot. Thanks.

Hi everyone. I am a re-applicant this cycle and I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to improve my application. If anyone was a re-applicant and got accepted then their advice would really mean a lot. Thanks.
You can DM me if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.