*** The Official Meharry College of Dentistry Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just declined my offer of admission to Meharry. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear good news :)

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know the ratio of in-state/out of state students at Meharry?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Should I call up to the school to see the status or if anything is missing from my app ... or continue to wait?

Should I call up to the school to see the status or if anything is missing from my app ... or continue to wait?
I emailed them and never got a response. I think I’m gonna call them tomorrow too.

Emailed Meharry and this was their response...
“Thank you for your continued interest in Meharry Medical College. Application status updates will be provided as they become available. We are looking forward to connecting with you soon!”

Not very helpful lol

Emailed Meharry and this was their response...
“Thank you for your continued interest in Meharry Medical College. Application status updates will be provided as they become available. We are looking forward to connecting with you soon!”

Not very helpful lol
Not at all

Any of you guys receive a scholarship with your admissions offer?

I just declined my offer of admission to Meharry. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear good news :)
it look like that you decline your offer for all the schools because i saw your post in other schools as well that you declined.

Just curious.. those of you that have been accepted or waitlisted, when was your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got an interview invite for this Friday the 11th. Any of you who got interviewed, can you give me any advice. What were the questions? Any challenging questions?? I appreciate it. :)

Everyone who received an interview, when did you guys submit the supplemental? (If you don’t mind me asking haha)

I also got an interview invite for this Friday the 11th. Any of you who got interviewed, can you give me any advice. What were the questions? Any challenging questions?? I appreciate it. :)

Be familiar with your application and your story. Actually practice saying what you want to say and have somebody listen to see if it’s the message you want to send.

Obviously know why you want to be a dentist. People always ask for strengths and weaknesses. Whenever you answer the weakness question make sure you have a positive twist to it. Confidence shows competence.

Stay prayed up

Everyone who received an interview, when did you guys submit the supplemental? (If you don’t mind me asking haha)
AADSAS: 08/13/18
Supplemental: 08/21/18
Interview: 11/16/18

Keep the faith. I’ve literally met Med and Dent students at Meharry who were accepted in June like 2 weeks before MAPS started

Reactions: 1 users
Be familiar with your application and your story. Actually practice saying what you want to say and have somebody listen to see if it’s the message you want to send.

Obviously know why you want to be a dentist. People always ask for strengths and weaknesses. Whenever you answer the weakness question make sure you have a positive twist to it. Confidence shows competence.

Stay prayed up
Thank you very much!

For you all that just received interview invites, would you mind sharing your stats? Congratulations by the way!

For you all that just received interview invites, would you mind sharing your stats? Congratulations by the way!

Master’s GPA: 3.56
Undergrad GPA: 3.0
DAT AA: 18
100+ community service/ volunteer hours
Veteran
I applied early but took my DAT pretty late in the cycle. I also completed my secondary kind of late too (early November). Got the invite in late December! There were a number of dates available, and they extended out until February 15th.

Last edited:
Turning down my invitation to interview, hopefully it goes to another well deserving candidate! Good luck everyone!

Howard & D.C. are calling my name ;):happy:

Reactions: 2 users
Turning down my invitation to interview, hopefully it goes to another well deserving candidate! Good luck everyone!

Congrats!!

Congratulations!! D.C. is a cool place. I always like to ask why Howard over Meharry? I’ve talked with Alumni on both sides and they usually give me similar answers lol

Congratulations!! D.C. is a cool place. I always like to ask why Howard over Meharry? I’ve talked with Alumni on both sides and they usually give me similar answers lol

Honestly Meharry was always my #1 choice, until Howard came in and swept me off my feet lol. I took my DAT relatively late, however Howard was still willing to work with me regarding this issue. Don't get me wrong, Meharry came through as well, but Howard got to me first. Without getting into the specifics, Howard was super accommodating and I am so appreciative! In addition to the school, I also enjoyed the city!

Oh and tuition, granted the cost of living is a little higher in DC, Howard's tuition is on the lower side. I ordered the ADEA Guide to Dental School which highlights the stats and cost of each school and the out the door cost of Howard is about 9k cheaper per year than Meharry. Its not a huge difference, but every little bit matters. I landed an interview at Tufts as well, but turned that one down too once I ran the numbers and saw how much their 4yr DMD program really cost!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I know that there are at least 4-5 more Friday interview slots for Meharry SOD. I took the first available which was for 1/18. Interview dates are available into mid February. After you pick a date they send another email about arrangements and what to expect for the interview. Judging by previous application cycles they will interview anywhere between 5-12 candidates per Friday although Im not sure because haven't been to mine yet. Im guessing they have to conclude interviews for Dental and Medical school so that they can interview the MHS applicants in March. We shall see.

The question that everyone wants to know is how many have accepted their offers???

Reactions: 2 users
Im starting to wonder if admissions is interviewing for both MHS and Dent students at the same time even though they are inviting folks for the dental school program. They make it seem like they are considering you for the DDS program but in reality they initially planned to put you in the MHS program from the very beginning. This would make sense because you could interview students and fill up both programs at the same time instead of having a different interview timeline just for MHS. Thoughts anyone? Or do they interview exclusively for the MHS independent of the DDS program?

Im starting to wonder if admissions is interviewing for both MHS and Dent students at the same time even though they are inviting folks for the dental school program. They make it seem like they are considering you for the DDS program but in reality they initially planned to put you in the MHS program from the very beginning. This would make sense because you could interview students and fill up both programs at the same time instead of having a different interview timeline just for MHS. Thoughts anyone? Or do they interview exclusively for the MHS independent of the DDS program?

I know a few people that went through the MHS program. From my understanding it seems like you apply to Dental/Medical School. You have an interview and all that. They send you an email telling you thank you but you weren’t chosen for the medical/dental seat. Then they extend an invitation for you to apply to the MHS program. I applied to Meharry in 2016 and I was rejected and didn’t receive a MHS invite either. Otherwise I would have gotten a master’s at Meharry and not my other University. Hope this helps

I know a few people that went through the MHS program. From my understanding it seems like you apply to Dental/Medical School. You have an interview and all that. They send you an email telling you thank you but you weren’t chosen for the medical/dental seat. Then they extend an invitation for you to apply to the MHS program. I applied to Meharry in 2016 and I was rejected and didn’t receive a MHS invite either. Otherwise I would have gotten a master’s at Meharry and not my other University. Hope this helps

So are we basically interviewing for both programs at once? Does MHS have its own interview process?

Previously when I applied to Meharry, I never got an invite for an interview for the DDS program. I didn’t hear from them until February and I was extended an interview for the MHS program and I had the interview in March (but I still was not accepted).

Previously when I applied to Meharry, I never got an invite for an interview for the DDS program. I didn’t hear from them until February and I was extended an interview for the MHS program and I had the interview in March (but I still was not accepted).

My stats aren't the best (I did poorly in college) but I have a REALLY strong GPA trend now that I am much older and mature. I'll probably be one of the oldest in the class if Im admitted. I created my own post bac almost enough to get a second bachelors. DAT score is average. I just wonder are they really interviewing me for DDS or MHS? lol Either way I am grateful that they are considering me. Its my number one choice. I really love Meharry and all that it stands for.

My stats aren't the best (I did poorly in college) but I have a REALLY strong GPA trend now that I am much older and mature. I'll probably be one of the oldest in the class if Im admitted. I created my own post bac almost enough to get a second bachelors. DAT score is average. I just wonder are they really interviewing me for DDS or MHS? lol Either way I am grateful that they are considering me. Its my number one choice. I really love Meharry and all that it stands for.
I’m sure it’s for the DDS first. If it was for MHS, they would have let you know because my letter was specifically for MHS.

So are we basically interviewing for both programs at once? Does MHS have its own interview process?
Sorry i should’ve been more specific. When i interviewed at Meharry i was told that if they’re interested in you, but feel like your resume is lacking in some way (GPA or DAT little too low) they’ll offer you a place in the MHS program. So yes, you’re technically interviewing for the dental school first. But they’re keeping both in mind during the interview.

Hey all, does anybody know if any sort of Facebook group exists yet for students that will be attending Meharry Dental for the Class of 2023?
Just recently noticed this thread. I was accepted and will be attending.

Hey! Does anyone know the purpose of a letter of intent? Like can I send one to the schools that I haven’t gotten an interview invite from?

Hey! Does anyone know the purpose of a letter of intent? Like can I send one to the schools that I haven’t gotten an interview invite from?

The point is to express why they should take you. It gives a little extra information that they might not have picked up in your application or interview

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No there was someone in the MD thread who got accepted after sending it. If it’s done right I think it so the school how serious you are

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have called the admissions office and they said that they haven’t made a decision for the people that interviewed this January month. They will make a decision this Friday the 25th or Tuesday the 29th and send it to everybody. May God help us all who interviewed in January.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone been rejected or heard of someone being rejected? I interviewed in November and haven’t heard anything back. Just trying to figure out if that’s a rejection. I know some people have already been waitlisted

Has anyone been rejected or heard of someone being rejected? I interviewed in November and haven’t heard anything back. Just trying to figure out if that’s a rejection. I know some people have already been waitlisted

No I haven't heard of any rejections. The admissions manager at our interview said that they don't interview a lot of people so if you got one you have a really good shot of getting in either DDS or MHS. They usually only have around 8 or less candidates every Friday. It appears that those that are waitlisted usually have pretty good GPA/DAT scores and as a result have multiple options (I believe that you have an interview with Howard). So Meharry kind of waits to let those individuals consider their options and then offers those later. You've done your part and interviewed now you just have to wait.

My interview day was amazing by the way! Both of the faculty members that interviewed me were so friendly and down to earth. They told us at the earliest expect an answer in 3 weeks.

When do they stop the interviewing process? Also, do you have to be interviewed before you are offered a seat in the MHS program?

When do they stop the interviewing process? Also, do you have to be interviewed before you are offered a seat in the MHS program?

Im not sure however, the last date that I was able to pick an interview was for mid February. I think that they told us that the last day for interviews would be March 8th but don't don't quote me on that. Also, some people who entered for the MHS program get in after a dental school interview and there are some who got accepted in to the program without a dental school interview. Their exact criteria for the MHS program is largely unknown but it is by invitation only though. The program was not mentioned to us on my interview so I am not sure of the details of the MHS program. Being a Meharrian is an honor and the faculty members really take their time making sure your are the right fit for their school. You still have time plus its rolling admissions. Just pray and trust in the Lord.

I have called the admissions office and they said that they haven’t made a decision for the people that interviewed this January month. They will make a decision this Friday the 25th or Tuesday the 29th and send it to everybody. May God help us all who interviewed in January.
Let’s hope you’re right on today

Do they usually send decisions on after hours? Like after 5pm. Coz that’s what I heard but wasn’t sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.