*The Official May 6th, 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DannySCR

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to see who's with me in fighting this beast on May 6th. This could be a great place to help each other out, be it through study tips, mnemonics, or simply relieving stress. Nice to meet you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
July exam then the result will be released in August. Would it be too late for next cycle? I am also struggling for this. Planning to register June 2nd

Oh, that's true. I definitely don't want to do June 2nd though since our results don't come out until after that and I don't want to take the MCAT again unless I know I bombed it. Maybe I'll do June 18 to be safe if there are still any spots left. At least now I know I need to seriously focus on P/S...

C/P: decent
CARS: hard
B/B: decent
P/S: hard af
damn right!!! i thought P/S was so hard. my eyeballs almost came out my eyes, i got headaches from starring at that computer for so long so when psych section came i was just not there for it

Overall I was surprised by the amount of reading. I had CARS passages that would be like 6 full paragraphs+. Out of the 10+ FLs I took, none ever had more than 4-5 paragraphs.

Even C/P had a ridiculous amount of reading. I honestly felt like there was more Biochem in C/P then the B/B itself... which surprised me. B/B seemed almost entirely of Intro level Bio information.

Does anyone know if each section is given individually to students or are they given as whole exams? I.e. would people have the same sections but the not the exact same exam?

Additionally, although our proctors were pretty chill, it was disappointing that a malfunction prior to the exam occurred where nearly everybody didn't start till after 8am... which really sucks when they tell you to get there an hour ahead of time. I didn't start till 8:45AM, when I got there at 7:05AM. That screws with so much planning.
right? P/S felt like a freaking journal, so much text and few figures

Members don't see this ad :)
July exam then the result will be released in August. Would it be too late for next cycle? I am also struggling for this. Planning to register June 2nd

I did not sit for May but saw your thread: July is not too late. I would make sure you get your primary app submitted to get the verification process finished. You can submit for one school and then add the others after MCAT.

OR

you can just submit for all schools on June 7, get the secondaries for schools that don't prescreen, start filling them out, take the exam, and then submit secondaries.

Cons with last approach:

IF you are not accepted this cycle you would be a reapp for every school you submitted to.

Pros with the last approach:

You can semi-prefill out the secondaries now, take the MCAT, submit secondaries when done with MCAT, and when MCAT score is released you will be considered complete (unless they also require the LORs to have been submitted as well)... then you'd need those.

I did not sit for May but saw your thread: July is not too late. I would make sure you get your primary app submitted to get the verification process finished. You can submit for one school and then add the others after MCAT.

OR

you can just submit for all schools on June 7, get the secondaries for schools that don't prescreen, start filling them out, take the exam, and then submit secondaries.

Cons with last approach:

IF you are not accepted this cycle you would be a reapp for every school you submitted to.

Pros with the last approach:

You can semi-prefill out the secondaries now, take the MCAT, submit secondaries when done with MCAT, and when MCAT score is released you will be considered complete (unless they also require the LORs to have been submitted as well)... then you'd need those.
Can I send in my transcripts and have my entire application verified without submitting to any schools? Would preferably like to wait until I have my score.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Can I send in my transcripts and have my entire application verified without submitting to any schools? Would preferably like to wait until I have my score.

No. You at least need to pick one school. I've seen people suggest using a far reach school for this purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No. You at least need to pick one school. I've seen people suggest using a far reach school for this purpose.

Didn't mention this, not sure if it changes anything, I'm only applying through TMDSAS and AACOMAS. Easy to pick some reaches here (I think I understand your point, chance of getting in already isn't fantastic so the idea of being a re-applicant isn't that big of a deal).

Lets say I apply for one school in order to get verified, and then decide i want to withdraw my application and apply the next cycle. Would others med schools know that I am a reapplicant?

Lets say I apply for one school in order to get verified, and then decide i want to withdraw my application and apply the next cycle. Would others med schools know that I am a reapplicant?
Don't quote me on this, but I think you're only considered a reapplicant if you applied to the same school.

Reactions: 1 user
hi guys! i'm taking the exam on may 20th and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on how to make the most of my time these next two weeks! (besides for doing the section banks and 2 more practice exams, including the scored) thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when we can start turning in the transcripts? Does it have to be in June?

You can start requesting them now. I requested mine on the 3rd; the AAMC already received 3/4 of mine. The verification process won't begin until you actually submit the app in June, but it's a good idea to get your transcripts requested ASAP (unless you're waiting on grades for classes from this semester).

You can start requesting them now. I requested mine on the 3rd; the AAMC already received 3/4 of mine. The verification process won't begin until you actually submit the app in June, but it's a good idea to get your transcripts requested ASAP (unless you're waiting on grades for classes from this semester).

So they won't evaluate your classes vs your transcripts until you "submit" an application?

hi guys! i'm taking the exam on may 20th and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on how to make the most of my time these next two weeks! (besides for doing the section banks and 2 more practice exams, including the scored) thanks!
Like you said, the section banks and the scored test. your test is only 12 days away, so I would do the scored ASAP so you can review it and then brush up on any weak spots. Be prepared to have passages like the section bank. The questions likely won't be as hard, but the passages themselves will be similar.

Like you said, the section banks and the scored test. your test is only 12 days away, so I would do the scored ASAP so you can review it and then brush up on any weak spots. Be prepared to have passages like the section bank. The questions likely won't be as hard, but the passages themselves will be similar.

I'm planning on finishing the q packs and section banks this week and then taking the scored next Monday with a few days to review it ...do you recommend that?

Did you request your transcript online? Im trying to do mine, do i have to attach the transcript form from my AMCAS application? Ugh i seem do lost in this process

Did you request your transcript online? Im trying to do mine, do i have to attach the transcript form from my AMCAS application? Ugh i seem do lost in this process
Send the AMCAS transcript request form to your school/s. They will then forward the transcript to AMCAS. Whether or not your school would accept the form electronically I'm not sure.

Yes I took it on 4/20 and scored (63%/57%/66%/80%)---I also took this last August so I'm not sure if this is inflated
If i did the rough approximate score conversion right (via reddit thread) those equate to:
124, 123, 124, 127
498 overall.
This is just me, and some will probably disagree with me, but I would take the scored ASAP, because if those approximations hold up, you need to cancel.

If i did the rough approximate score conversion right (via reddit thread) those equate to:
124, 123, 124, 127
498 overall.
This is just me, and some will probably disagree with me, but I would take the scored ASAP, because if those approximations hold up, you need to cancel.

Is the scored exam harder than the unscored?

My C/P subsection was difficult, a lot of minute details. I'm usually very meticulous with my reading until I saw I had about 20 mins left for about 20 questions. And i absolutely panicked. I skimmed through subsequent article so damn fast like my life depended on it. Luckily the remaining questions weren't passage analysis heavy. But I was coming down to the wire, and I had about 10 mins left, and then my screen froze and THE EXAM SHUT OFF. I was scared about the time being lost. Prometric notified us saying that our time should pick up where it left off, and they had to boot up a new computer for me. I log back in and I see that I actually lost about 90 seconds. And I speed-tested like a mofo and finished with about 4 seconds left.

I didn't think so. I thought they were about on par. A lot of people though the scored CARS was much harder, but I thought it was similar. I guess it depends on your strengths.

Ahh, I see. I've been looking through the forums and even though the scored exam was pretty easy, there's a strong trend of people scoring better on their actual MCAT than on the scored practice exam. Makes me feel a little better but then there are a few who scored lower than their scored exam...

Ahh, I see. I've been looking through the forums and even though the scored exam was pretty easy, there's a strong trend of people scoring better on their actual MCAT than on the scored practice exam. Makes me feel a little better but then there are a few who scored lower than their scored exam...
Keep in mind the response bias. People are far more likely to post about a better score than a worse score.

The 'learn Chinese' phrase on the back of my fortune cookie fortune tonight was 'doctor'... That's a good omen, right? :shrug:

The 'learn Chinese' phrase on the back of my fortune cookie fortune tonight was 'doctor'... That's a good omen, right? :shrug:

I'm what you call an expert on fortune cookies and it most likely means you will turn into a chinese man as soon as you are a doctor.

May 6th test takers - how high yield was memorizing metabolism (enzymes, names, steps, etc.) on your tests? Taking it the 20th and want to know how much I should rememorize from biochem.

May 6th test takers - how high yield was memorizing metabolism (enzymes, names, steps, etc.) on your tests? Taking it the 20th and want to know how much I should rememorize from biochem.
Not as high yield as I would have liked.. I spent 2 full days right before the test memorizing all the big pathways and the amino acids thinking that would all be very high yield. But I think in general, those things are thought to be high yield. Not necessarily the names and structures of every step, but the overall stuff.

I am literally more nervous now waiting for the score than before my exam... Is it a wise choice for people to register for another date (like a week after you get your score) before the scores are released for safety purposes?

I am literally more nervous now waiting for the score than before my exam... Is it a wise choice for people to register for another date (like a week after you get your score) before the scores are released for safety purposes?

Depends on your expendable income and how quickly seats fill at your preferred testing facility.

May 14 test taker here! Jw, how did the scored FL compare to the actual. Looking through the scored, I realized it was actually not that bad, though I did score a 506 on it. I was sooo paranoid that I was getting tricked on some questions, when in actuality, they were all very straightforward. Other than CARS, i don't think I saw a tricky question.... Was that how you felt the actual test was like?

May 14 test taker here! Jw, how did the scored FL compare to the actual. Looking through the scored, I realized it was actually not that bad, though I did score a 506 on it. I was sooo paranoid that I was getting tricked on some questions, when in actuality, they were all very straightforward. Other than CARS, i don't think I saw a tricky question.... Was that how you felt the actual test was like?
My test was different than the scored. C/P was more calculation based and specific in terms of topics tested. Not a lot of biochem. CARS was CARS. B/B was biology heavy, not very many convoluted experimental passages. Not as much biochem as I expected. P/S was about as hard as the scored, maybe a bit harder. Saw some terms I didn't recognize. Kind of hard to compare the scored to my test since they were so different. Good luck to you!

Yeah at this point, I'm just going to sign up for a July 8th test date. I do have FAP though so max I lose is 50 bucks which is worth to me to assure a seat. I was super surprised June 18th filled up in my state completely.

My version of C/P had fair amount of biochem (~30%), fair amount of gen chem (~30%), some physics (~20-25) and not so much ochem. About 1.5x harder than scored C/P, mainly due to passages being much longer and experiments that are tough to digest but ~2 Qpack style passages that are fairly easy. That being said, I had a 132 on scored C/P so I may be biased/

CARS was standard, longer passages that are offset by easy readability. Questions can be tricky. On par with scored FL

B/B: Straight forward. Gen bio heavy (~70%), some biochem (~25%) and 1-2 question of gen chem. Again longer experimental passages, but straight forward qpack style question (2 passages) as well. Slightly tougher than scored FL (1.2x)

P/S: Tough. Had 2-3 easier scored FL passages and rest are section bank style passages (but longer) with fair questions. 1.5x harder than scored FL

So you can see the theme is scored FL is not representative. Expect passages in all section to be much longer and tougher to digest.

How does a decrease in blood vessel diameter affect it's rate? Does it increase or decrease it?

I"m thinking of it in two ways which, but lead me to 2 different answers.
1- decrease in diameter, leads to increase in resistance which decreases flow.
2- decrease in diameter= less surface area, which based on the continuity equation increases flow.

what is the correct line of thinking? thanks!!

How does a decrease in blood vessel diameter affect it's rate? Does it increase or decrease it?

2- decrease in diameter= less surface area, which based on the continuity equation increases flow.

A decrease in diameter increases blood flow rate. Think of a pressure nozzle on a hose

A decrease in diameter increases blood flow rate. Think of a pressure nozzle on a hose

You guys need to use more specific terms here. The terms "rate" and "flow rate" are ambiguous, and it's impossible to tell whether you mean to refer to flow or to velocity.

Flow = Area * Veocity
Decreasing diameter decreases "flow", because cross sectional area of the vessel is smaller.
However, you can see from the formula that in a situation where flow remains constant, if area decreases velocity will increase to compensate (nozzle on a hose example).

Blood flow through the body is constant, because it's a closed system. However, compare cross-sectional area of the aorta to the combined cross-sectional area of all capillaries in the body.... From this, you can see that velocity will be much much slower as arteries branch off in the body.

You guys need to use more specific terms here. The terms "rate" and "flow rate" are ambiguous, and it's impossible to tell whether you mean to refer to flow or to velocity.

Flow = Area * Veocity
Decreasing diameter decreases "flow", because cross sectional area of the vessel is smaller.
However, you can see from the formula that in a situation where flow remains constant, if area decreases velocity will increase to compensate (nozzle on a hose example).

Blood flow through the body is constant, because it's a closed system. However, compare cross-sectional area of the aorta to the combined cross-sectional area of all capillaries in the body.... From this, you can see that velocity will be much much slower as arteries branch off in the body.
Thanks for the clarification! I really shouldn't be trying to answer questions

Any of you guys finished your personal statement yet? I am still revising my personal statement and its been the 15th draft that I wrote :yeahright: