*The Official May 6th, 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DannySCR

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to see who's with me in fighting this beast on May 6th. This could be a great place to help each other out, be it through study tips, mnemonics, or simply relieving stress. Nice to meet you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Real Thing: 519

AAMC OG (2month prior): 63/80/77/83
NS FL1 (4wk prior): 513 (129/128/127/129)
EK FL1 (3.5wk prior): 76% (64%/79%/80%/81%)
NS FL2 (3wk prior): 512 (128/128/128/128)
EK FL2 (2.5wk prior): 77% (68%/77%/80%/81%)
NS FL3 (2.5wk prior): 514 (128/129/128/129)
AAMC Unscored (1.5wk prior): 86%/92%/86%/86%
NS FL4 (1wk prior): 508 (127/127/127/127)
AAMC Scored (4days prior): 516 (129/130/130/127)

Reactions: 7 users
Got a 516 on AAMC Scored. Got a 517 (129/128/130/130) on the real thing. A little disappointed on my C/P since I always felt I was the strongest in Chemistry but I guess I can't complain!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those who got the score they wanted. Did anyone in this thread have to retake? If so please PM.

Got a 504. (125/126/125/128). I was applying MD and DO and have a GPA of 3.5. My GPA has an upward trend of 3.2 my first two years and 3.8 my second two. Is it worth studying these next two months and trying to retake the MCAT in August or would that be too late and too little time especially since I have a full time job with a lot of commuting time in the weekdays? I know my stats are good enough for DO which I am fine with, but my parents really want me to get into an MD program.

I can't believe I'm finally done with this test. It's been my enemy for the past few years. I had 0 confidence after getting a 23 before and I never thought I would have a chance at becoming a doctor. It took me awhile to gather the courage to take this new test but I'm glad I did. I checked the percentiles on the old test compared to this new one and according to AAMC my 504 is equivalent to a 28. A 5 point increase is more than I thought I would get. I was expecting sub-500 this whole time and have felt so awful. Most of you would probably retake a 504 but it's good enough for me! I just wanted to say to people in my same situation to never give up! It may take time but everything will work out eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
Can Any people applying DO PM me. I did not do well at all. Very surprised actually. I have no scored below a 125 on CARS and did just that...497 total...

I got a 504 on the scored but my TPR avg was a 499. I feel so deflated. My GPA is 3.4 for cGPA and sGPA but this MCAT is too low I feel like, even for the new schools.

I may need to retake in September.

this sucks

I can't believe I'm finally done with this test. It's been my enemy for the past few years. I had 0 confidence after getting a 23 before and I never thought I would have a chance at becoming a doctor. It took me awhile to gather the courage to take this new test but I'm glad I did. I checked the percentiles on the old test compared to this new one and according to AAMC my 504 is equivalent to a 28. A 5 point increase is more than I thought I would get. I was expecting sub-500 this whole time and have felt so awful. Most of you would probably retake a 504 but it's good enough for me! I just wanted to say to people in my same situation to never give up! It may take time but everything will work out eventually.

Don't undersell yourself, you scored > 50% on your day. You and I both can move on with our lives now.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to everyone. Has anyone heard of a successful rescore? I only ask because I felt most confident about bio and yet it was my lowest.

That moment when you gave up a job, a girlfriend, a life, and only get a 504. I had better scores on my NS exams. It was my second take, after 12 practice exam and about 8 months of studying. Feeling so destroyed.
#fml

That moment when you gave up a job, a girlfriend, a life, and only get a 504. I had better scores on my NS exams. It was my second take, after 12 practice exam and about 8 months of studying. Feeling so destroyed.
#fml

Are you only applying MD? 504 is above average for most DO schools. Like my mom kept telling me, "Apply anyway! Let them tell you no."

Are you only applying MD? 504 is above average for most DO schools. Like my mom kept telling me, "Apply anyway! Let them tell you no."

I am trying to become an Army Doc, so I don't think DO is an option. Besides I have a 3.2 gpa, I know its Engineering but still, way too low.

Members don't see this ad :)
505 ( 128/124/128/125). 502 on aamc scored. what do you guys think?

Ps: Congrats to everyone on the awesome scores

#fml
I'm sorry, that really sucks. :( I don't think you're totally screwed though, what was your score distribution? Also did you take the AAMC FL? what did you get on that?

Real: 506 (127/125/126/128)

Scored - 505 (127/125/127/126) about 1 week prior
EK4- 76/60/58/69 about 3 days prior
EK3- 54/66/72/74 about 2 weeks prior
EK2- 52/50/78/76 3weeks prior
EK1-53/62/56/69 1 month prior

My computer shut off during the physics section in the real thing, so I really felt like I choked. I was preparing myself for below a 500. I wanted to do better but I'm not going to complain. Glad it's over. Well, hopefully.

Hello everyone! I've been lurking this thread since the beginning of my studies last February. Finally glad this beast is over! Congrats to everyone who got the scores they wanted. Does anyone know if getting under 125 on any section will disqualify you from some schools? I got a 124 on CARS but did well in the other three sections. Let me know if you all have any insights!

Real MCAT: 513: 128/ 124 / 131 / 130
AAMC Scored: 512
Kaplan FL 1: 493
Kaplan FL 2: 497
Kaplan FL3: 501
Kaplan Fl4: 504
Kaplan FL5: 504
Kaplan FL6: 506
Kaplan FL7: 506
Kaplan FL8: 504
Kaplan FL9: 506

484 in my Kaplan diagnostic and a 505 on the real thing (500 on the scored the week before). I felt horrible when I left the center but well, I kind of got lucky. It's enough for what I want. 125 in my real CARS, 121 in the scored the week before. (Hence most of the increase). The Curry jersey worked its magic. Congrats everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
484 in my Kaplan diagnostic and a 505 on the real thing (500 on the scored the week before). I felt horrible when I left the center but well, I kind of got lucky. It's enough for what I want. 125 in my real CARS, 121 in the scored the week before. (Hence most of the increase). The Curry jersey worked its magic. Congrats everyone!

I was wearing my Jordan jersey.

514!!!

AAMC FL 507
AAMG OG: 81%
Sample: 69%

I did the section banks twice.
You brought me life today! Do you feel like redoing the section banks helped that much? I want to redo them in the next 1.5 weeks before I take. They were brutal and the review of them was immensely helpful, but if you feel like they really gave you an advantage on the exam then I'm sold.

You brought me life today! Do you feel like redoing the section banks helped that much? I want to redo them in the next 1.5 weeks before I take. They were brutal and the review of them was immensely helpful, but if you feel like they really gave you an advantage on the exam then I'm sold.

Last edited:
Congrats to everybody. Looks like the scored FL CARS was graded way too harshly.

Congrats to everybody. Looks like the scored FL CARS was graded way too harshly.

I got 130 on scored CARS, 92% on unscored, and dropped to 128 on the real thing. Maybe just a fluke and I totally missed the point on a passage or something though.

I got 130 on scored CARS, 92% on unscored, and dropped to 128 on the real thing. Maybe just a fluke and I totally missed the point on a passage or something though.

Interesting. I was +4 on CARS and didn't really change my approach or anything.

Same brah. Got a 130 on CARS on the FL and 127 on the real thing. I'm just surprised and a bit annoyed because CARS is one of my strengths. Ahh well.

Total: 512
Breakdown: 126/127/128/131

Very happy with my C/P 126; I really thought I tanked it and would have gotten below a 125. Thought I did better on CARS but looking back, I think my confidence was super ****ty post-C/P which is probably why I did much worse than I did on practice tests. Surprisingly pleased with B/BC and very, very happy with my P/S score (although I expected that one).

As far as practice goes, I never took a full length test [probably a bad move- wouldn't recommend]. Instead I usually did half a test on one day and the other half the next. I work two jobs so spending 7-8 doing a test was not feasible for me really. I did about 5 tests total [all free ones offered by commercial companies] + AAMC Sample Test + AAMC question banks which I got for free as a part of the fee assistance program. My score won't get me into Johns Hopkins that's for sure, but I think it will make me a strong candidate for most in-state [florida] schools which is all I wanted any ways! I think I could have done much better had I studied longer and harder, done more practice, and had fewer commitments leading up to the test...but I can definitely live with this score. I am hoping that this okay/good score + 3.89 GPA/3.8 sGPA at UF, being second author on a publication in a neuroscience journal, lots of research, paid clinical shadowing, community service blah blah etc; etc; will make me an attractive candidate for most of the schools I applied to....but then again, you just never know!!

Good luck, everyone!

Last edited:
Total:
Breakdown: 126/127/128/131

Very happy with my C/P 126; I really thought I tanked it and would have gotten below a 125. Thought I did better on CARS but looking back, I think my confidence was super ****ty post-C/P which is probably why I did much worse than I did on practice tests. Surprisingly pleased with B/BC and very, very happy with my P/S score (although I expected that one).

As far as practice goes, I never took a full length test [probably a bad move- wouldn't recommend]. Instead I usually did half a test on one day and the other half the next. I work two jobs so spending 7-8 doing a test was not feasible for me really. I did about 5 tests total [all free ones offered by commercial companies] + AAMC Sample Test + AAMC question banks which I got for free as a part of the fee assistance program. My score won't get me into Johns Hopkins that's for sure, but I think it will make me a strong candidate for most in-state [florida] schools which is all I wanted any ways! I think I could have done much better had I studied longer and harder, done more practice, and had fewer commitments leading up to the test...but I can definitely live with this score. I am hoping that this okay/good score + 3.89 GPA/3.8 sGPA at UF, being second author on a publication in a neuroscience journal, lots of research, paid clinical shadowing, community service blah blah etc; etc; will make me an attractive candidate for most of the schools I applied to....but then again, you just never know!!

Good luck, everyone!
Dude, C/P was tough. Good job on your composite as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

514!

C/P: 128
CARS: 127 (wtf?? disappointed in this one)
B/B: 129
P/S: 130

Relieved it's over. Just a bit pissed about CARS because my practice test scores for it were high, but whatever not gonna moan about it. Thanking the old gods and the new for that C/P score since I thought I failed during the exam.
What did you get on scored and sample?

Lurker here. Out of college for 10 years. Currently a lawyer/bond manager.
2 and half month prep with Kaplan. 518 (130/128/131/129). Happy with the science sections since the last time I touched any science subject is 12 years ago. Surprised by low-ish CARS, since my LSAT was in the 99% range. And I read for a living....

Reactions: 4 users
515! Jump from a 22 for my first attempt to this new score which I am pretty happy with. (although I didn't really study that hard for my first attempt.)
C/P: 128
CARS: 125 (well...)
Bio/Biochem: 132
P/S: 130

TPR FL: 502 to 504; EK3 and 4: 66% and 70%; AAMC sample: 80%

Feeling after my exam - in case future test takers want to know because I was reading about this the entire time before scores got released lol
C/P: feel kinda ok to not so good since I rushed the last passage and end up guessing 2-3 questions completely. I later realized that I made two stupid mistakes as well.
CARS: I never know how well I did for CARS so yeah...
Bio/Biochem: I think this section is the hardest of all but I managed to finish everything. Again I rushed the last passage and I guessed on two questions.
P/S: feel ok to good since there isn't much terms that I don't know. Like most people guessed on some questions that involved some terms I don't know.

Overall: I feel okay and was really uncertain of my score. This feeling got worse as time goes by because my brain kept on reminding me the questions that I got wrong. I registered for a new exam right after but I am glad to cancel it haha

Congrats for everyone who did well on the exam!

Reactions: 4 users
2 and half month prep with Kaplan. 518 (130/128/131/129). Happy with the science sections since the last time I touched any science subject is 12 years ago. Surprised by low-ish CARS, since my LSAT was in the 99% range. And I read for a living....

You got a great score. Congrats. If you don't mind me asking why the change from law -> medicine?

YOU GUYS I GOT A 520 HOLY ****ING ****

dawgz pls tell us your scores on AAMC practice

You got a great score. Congrats. If you don't mind me asking why the change from law -> medicine?
Thanks. I actually got an JD/MBA. Always wanted to study medicine because I feel deep down I am more interested in medicine than anything else. Law and Business is basically all about money. Not sure that's what I really want to chase after for the rest of my career.

dawgz pls tell us your scores on AAMC practice
I didn't have time to take the scored or not scored. My OG was 90% though. EK 1 is about 75% overall. Did section banks, 73% on B/B and 72% on psych. Didn't have the energy to do C/p section bank. Overall I feel section banks are the most helpful. Loved Kaplan books. Tried EK but wasn't impressed because the content review was too superficial.

Sorry the initial shock got me too excited!

REAL: 520 (130/128/132/130)

AAMC Scored: 512 (130/125/130/128)
AAMC Unscored: Consistently in the mid 80 percent
TPR Exams: I took like 4 or 5 and got between 494-503, in my opinion these are NOT indicative of the real exam. Particualarly with the P/S, some of the questions are literally copied and pasted from the TPR slides from the psych/soc classes...
Next Step free exam: 506
Went thru every single official AAMC question bank and section bank (DO THESE, and know WHY you got them wrong).

Overall: Study psych/soc very last, I liked TPR books for everything except physics. I used EK Physics. Also, supplement TPR psych/soc with the Khan videos.
Nice! How did you feel coming out of the test

I am trying to become an Army Doc, so I don't think DO is an option. Besides I have a 3.2 gpa, I know its Engineering but still, way too low.
Of course you can go DO and be an Army doc. My friend went DO on scholarship bc going into the service. Guaranteed residency as well. You might want to check into that.

I got a 506. I was hoping for higher but oh well. 128/125/126/127. Eh. Could that get me into an MD school you think? GPA is good (s3.6, c3.76).